DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

About taveren; if a person spends enough time around one and/or is a taveren's lover, might that person become taveren?

Some taveren are more strongly taveren than other taveren; I guess the Pattern decides that.  The decision is based on what?

A balefire's time is calculated from when?  From the time the channeler weaves it or from the time it hits target?

If a dead person is balefired shortly after their death, would the person's last actions become un-done?

A stedding's boundaries are obviously defined by latitude and longitude.  Would the boundaries also be defined by height & depth, or not?  Two questions to clarify:

-If a hole was dug to some point under the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the bottom that hole?

-If a tower was built to some point over the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the top of that tower?

If the boundaries are also defined by elevation, I guess Far Madding's terangreals would block in a sphere like shape; would this be correct?

I'm only attempting to answer some of these questions so don't think I just missed some.

As to the BF question I doubt it because to my understanding a persons thread is akin to there soul and a soul dies when a body dies so I figure it would be impossible to bring that soul back and take away it's last actions.

and the stedding question I think if you could build a tall enough tower you could but not a hole. Maybe thats just how my mind has formed the stedding but I always thought at some point if you got high enough you could get away from it but the ground below it is completely incased by it.

I don't have any answers for the other questions BUt there good ones I'm eager to here some other posters answers.

I'll try to answer a couple. No, being ta'veren isn't contagious, and the urgency of the Pattern's need seems to determine the strength of a ta'veren's effect. The greater the need, the stronger the ta'veren.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About taveren; if a person spends enough time around one and/or is a taveren's lover, might that person become taveren?

Some taveren are more strongly taveren than other taveren; I guess the Pattern decides that. The decision is based on what?

A balefire's time is calculated from when? From the time the channeler weaves it or from the time it hits target?

If a dead person is balefired shortly after their death, would the person's last actions become un-done?

A stedding's boundaries are obviously defined by latitude and longitude. Would the boundaries also be defined by height & depth, or not? Two questions to clarify:

-If a hole was dug to some point under the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the bottom that hole?

-If a tower was built to some point over the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the top of that tower?

If the boundaries are also defined by elevation, I guess Far Madding's terangreals would block in a sphere like shape; would this be correct?

No, need, hits, hits, no, unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown.

During Eye of the Wolrd, how was Ishamael able to be in the dreams of Rand and Mat and Perrin at the same time?

When attacking the Seanchan with Callandor, what lifted Rand off of the ground?

If Moridin were to be killed before Cyndane & Moghedien, what would happen to Cyndane & Moghedien (and their cour'souvras) at that moment?  Would Rand's dizziness stop then (if Rand does not die first)?

My questions about Moridin were not answered.

If Moridin were to be killed before Cyndane & Moghedien, what would happen to Cyndane & Moghedien (and their cour'souvras) at that moment?  Would Rand's dizziness stop then (if Rand does not die first)?

My questions about Moridin were not answered.

Very little is known about Rand's dizziness.  There appears to be some link to Moridin involved, but it may also be an effect of the taint that gets transmitted via the link or makes the link more apparent.  It could probably be any number of other things also.

As I understand it, the cour'souvras are semi-mechanical in nature.  If they are crushed by a person, that person gains control of the body attached to the mindtrap.  Presumably, Cyndane or Moghedien could free herself from the mindtrap by crushing it in her own hand.  If Moridin were killed, but the mindtraps remained physically intact, they would be free for anyone to pick up and either crush or hold as a threat.  So far as I know, we have no understanding of what happens if a mindtrap is destroyed by any means other than being crushed in a person's hand.

If Moridin died, nothing would happen. They are not linked to his life. If they are crushed, then they become mindless zombies (hence mindtrap). That can happen with him alive or dead. Him dying is only a problem if he falls on them. At least, such is my understanding. As for Rand's dizziness, we do not know what the effect of one party's death would be on the link. Neither does Moridin, as far as we know. He has issued a Do Not Kill order on Rand. I would also like to direct your attention to the following webpage: http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/items/mindtrap.html.

Very little is known about Rand's dizziness.  There appears to be some link to Moridin involved, but it may also be an effect of the taint that gets transmitted via the link or makes the link more apparent.  It could probably be any number of other things also.

How can it be an effect caused by the taint when the taint has been cleansed for some time now? Or do you mean the 'taint' on the True Source which Moridin is using constantly (and which drives him insane)?

How can it be an effect caused by the taint when the taint has been cleansed for some time now? Or do you mean the 'taint' on the True Source which Moridin is using constantly (and which drives him insane)?

RJ has stated that the effects of the taint [madness, etc] will not start to get better now that the Source is clean.  They will merely cease to worsen.  Note that Rand's dizziness started off as a short spell of dizziness whenever he grabbed the Source, and ended up coming even sometimes without his embracing saidin.  I assume the effects of the dizziness also became worse, although I am far from sure of this.  If the dizziness is an effect of the taint, the spells will continue, but not become any worse or more frequent.

I have a few questions:  can Rand beat a Golom? or is mat the only one that can even harm it?

The Power cannot touch a gholam, in a similar fashion to Mat's medallion.  As the medallion has seemed to be the only thing that has been able to harm it thus far, and only via contact, one can only assume some connection the construction of both (Aginor was responsible for the gholam, and that despite protestation from others amongst the Chosen).

how strong is Rand really? how does Nynaeve compare to his power?

Really, really strong.  The Dragon was reputedly The Man in his day, and I'm pretty sure that the series has somewhere rated Rand at the top of the tree.  Ishamael was about the only other the get near Lews Therin Telamon's strength... Nynaeve seems to be about as strong as they women get; she was markedly stronger than any living Aes Sedai in the early books (despite her block), and seems to be line-ball with at least Moghedien, but that would still put her well short of Rand, comparitively

Nynaeve is not as strong as women can get by a long way. Alivia is considerably stronger than Nynaeve, and I think even Alivia wouldn't be on par with Lanfear unaided.

No woman can be as strong as Rand, seeing as RJ said men have a few levels of strength that go above the womens highest.

Hmm, I dont remember seeing in the books where it says that about the holder having absolute control. Do we have a page reference from the books? the ones listed in that link do nothing to describe the Mind Trap
Actually, the first one, ACoS 25, the chapter called mindtrap, is the one that describes it. I can't give you a page, because these change depending on edition. But it is near the end of that chapter.

can Rand beat a Golom?
A gholam is immune to direct weaves of the Power, but may be vulnerable to indirect effects of weaves - much as how Mat can be killed by lightning created using the OP, but still can't be touched with it. As for what effect lightning or similar would have on the gholam, that is unknown, but I expect someone would have thought to try it, so unlikely.

how strong is Rand really? how does Nynaeve compare to his power?
Rand is as strong as it is possible to be, as is Moridin. Nynaeve is a fair bit below female maximum, and female maximum is below male maximum.

When a channeler dies, what happens to wards that belong to the channeler?

If a channeler enters Telaranrhiod through sleep/terangreal, can the channeler exit by gateway?

Entering by gateway I guess would require exit by gateway; would this be correct?

I suppose that pregnancy could be caused in Telaranrhiod.  Might the woman also give birth in Telaranrhiod?  I guess only if she is there in the flesh.

Channelers born with the spark wield the One Power whether they want to or not.  Can the same kind of thing happen with the True Power in darkfriend channelers?

Aes Sedia and their warders can identify really bad darkfriends; what would need to happen first to the darkfriend for Aes Sedia & warders to be able to detect it?  Would it be being a darkfriend for a certain amount of time or certain deed/deeds or both?

Would Aes Sedia & warders be able to identify channelers that were forced to the shadow?

Channelers born with the spark wield the One Power whether they want to or not.  Can the same kind of thing happen with the True Power in darkfriend channelers?

No, because the Darkfriend must have been granted True power access by the Great Lord, and he doesnt grant that permission often; Moghedien noted that she knew of only 39 people who were granted True Power access, although there is the chance of her not knowing others that were allowed its use. Also, RJ stated in an interview that True Power use can only be granted to channelers, so there is no way that any old Darkfriend would end up using it.

If a channeler enters Telaranrhiod through sleep/terangreal, can the channeler exit by gateway?

No

Entering by gateway I guess would require exit by gateway; would this be correct?

Yes

I suppose that pregnancy could be caused in Telaranrhiod.  Might the woman also give birth in Telaranrhiod?  I guess only if she is there in the flesh.

Yes

There would be no effect on a ward set by a channeler who then died, necessarily.  There were wards set on Callandor by the Aes Sedai who left it in the Stone of Tear for Rand to claim thousands of years later.  The wards on Rhuidian lasted centuries longer than the Aes Sedai who set them.  Some weaves must be maintained, however.  Remember that when Ishamael died in TDR, his appearence changed.  The illusion weave was no longer active.  I suppose it would depend on the nature of what was being done.  Remember also that some weaves can be tied off, so as to no longer require maintaining.

I suppose it would depend on the nature of what was being done. Remember also that some weaves can be tied off, so as to no longer require maintaining.
If a weave is tied off, it will remain, regardless of death. If it is being maintained, then the person would no longer be holding the Power so the weave would go. What is being done doesn't matter. All that matters is if it is tied off.

Edit. A question of my own: If mb is killed in a forest and no-one is around to see it, is it still a crime?

The crime question, it is irrelevant to this section; the relevant section would be General Discussion, not General Wheel of Time Discussion.

Would gateways be able to go through wards?

The Forsaken meetings, I guess some were in Telaranrhiod and the others were in Randland; would this be correct?

How strongly taveren a taveren is, can that vary from time to time; or is it a constant?

The books tell that taveren make good and bad happen more frequently in their radius; would a certain amount of time of the taveren being there influence this?

The crime question, it is irrelevant to this section; the relevant section would be General Discussion, not General Wheel of Time Discussion.

Oh, I don't know. The thread is titled "Various Issues, " which seems vague enough, but perhaps we could reword it just to make sure:

If mb is killed in a forest the Blight and no-one is around to see it, is it still a crime?

There.  :)

Doesn't answer my question, though. And it could be a forest in Randland. Haddon Mirk, say. Anyway, surely my question is at least as relevant as yours. Or at least as interesting.

Would gateways be able to go through wards?
What sort of wards? If a ward specifically designed to keep Gateways out, then no, unless you did a bad job making it.

The Forsaken meetings, I guess some were in Telaranrhiod and the others were in Randland; would this be correct?
Certainly some were in T'a'r

How strongly taveren a taveren is, can that vary from time to time;
It ebbs and flows.
The books tell that taveren make good and bad happen more frequently in their radius;
No, they don't.
would a certain amount of time of the taveren being there influence this?
Well, the longer a ta'veren is in the area, the greater the effect on the nearby threads will be.

A further question::

-The books tell that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Is this correct?

Is there way for a Hero to leave TAR than what Moghedien did to Birgitte?  In particular, to what extent could Rand still be a player after his own death?  (This might conceivably relate to "he who is dead yet lives.")

Guess: insufficient information.  I suspect that few people believe a gateway would suffice, but we do not really have any evidence here.

Archived