DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Now, I know the text & Q&A's don't explicitly support the idea that Birgitte (or any Hero) is necessarily ta'veren.
One thing to bear in mind about Birgitte is that she spent itme in Salidar, as did Nicola (who can see ta'veren), Siuan (who can see ta'veren) and Logain (who can see ta'veren). I think the latter two can only see once they are reconnected to the Source, but there is still opportunity for them to have seen it. So that alone rules it out. Nicola's Talent was only discovered when Mat arrived.

Very good point.  But, wasn't Nicola, or Nicola's sidekick (can't remember her name), unusually pre occupied with Birgitte, always following her around, asking for archery lessons? 

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Nicola would have seen the glow around Birgitte if she were, just as she did immediately around Mat when she met him.

Logain and Siuan lost the ability to see ta'veren whilst they were severed, but regained it upon being healed, and Siuan and Birgitte interacted after that too. That was confirmed by RJ (that they regained the ability after being healed).

Heroes of the Horn, I guess they become so from doing some deed or deeds during their lifetime; is this correct?  Or is the decision based on need like taveren?  I guess the Pattern makes the decision.

When the Horn is sounded, would the Heroes that come be the ones that have not yet been reborn or would it be all Heroes?

The souls of Birgitte & Gaidal Cain the books tell are always linked.  I guess the Pattern also decides this sort of thing.  What does it base the decision on?  Need?

Can Illusion affect genetics?

Would Arangar be able to become pregnant?

When the Horn is sounded, would the Heroes that come be the ones that have not yet been reborn or would it be all Heroes?
Not yet reborn.

No.

Yes, but I wouldn't fancy my chances trying.

Now, I know the text & Q&A's don't explicitly support the idea that Birgitte (or any Hero) is necessarily ta'veren.  But - think of the profound impact she's had on events!  If it wasn't for her, Nynaeve would have died in TAR and Moghedian probably wouldn't have been captured.  All the neat tricks picked up by the ladies wouldn't have been discoverd.  Think of the conversation Birgitte had with Matt in ED (One of my favorite scenes).  Not only did it encourage him to go with the flow and let Nyn & Elayne stay in ED, find the Knitting Circle, Find the BOTW, etc, you could say that the conversation helped Matt embrace his own ta'vereness and his own destiny.

I disagree. If those reasons made her Ta'veren, then surely Moiraine would also be Ta'veren because even now Rand still uses the knoweldge Moiraine gave him about ruling, manipulation, etc. No, I think Birgitte simply said what she thought needed to be said, nothing about Ta'veren there in my opinion. Birgitte turned up at the right time in TAR because Nynaeve had already spoken to Birgitte before that incedent and Birgitte will have been watching Nynaeves back.

Aran'gar isnt a case of illusion, she is a case of a male soul being placed in a female body.

I was not telling that she/he was a case of illusion, and I knew that she/he is a male soul in a female body.

Illusion would not affect a person's genetics since it isn't really anything but a mask (i.e. it's also called the Mask of Mirrors)  It would be like dressing up for halloween in a watered down sense, you simply alter your appearance by putting on a costume made of the Power.

Aran'gar is not a post op transexual, the only thing different about her is that her soulical body is a man, which would not affect the natural body chosen unless it was already barren.  Aran'gar can have children, but I can't think of a more unsuitable person for motherhood.

Aran'gar can have children, but I can't think of a more unsuitable person for motherhood.

I'd rather have her then Semirhage.....

Actually, now that I think about it for a minute, Aran'Gar wouldn't be such a bad mom, as the kid would have everything. For starters, if the kid had any gender identity crises come up, they already have the perfect parent to discuss the issues with. They have a pediatrician in Semirhage (and you think YOU didn't wanna go to the doctor as a kid), a psychologist in Graendal to help them sort out the many issues, gender-related or not, that they are sure to develop, and a well-rounded upbringing beyond that: music lessons from Uncle Asmo, an academic education from both Mom (Balthamel was a professor in the AOL) and Mesaana, and if it's a boy (here I go all gender-biased, and I don't care, because I'm not PC and delight in irritating those who are), he can be coached in athletics by Sammael, and if it's a girl, she can get dating advice from Aunt Lanfear. Perfect!  :)

well everything else you said made sense except lanfear so i couldn't tell that you were making fun of her totally crap social skills or not. and her social skill is pretty crap if you consider that despite her extraordinary strength, obvious dexterity with the power and physical beauty, she still couldn't get a third name.

an academic education from both Mom (Balthamel was a professor in the AOL) and Mesaana, and if it's a boy (here I go all gender-biased, and I don't care, because I'm not PC and delight in irritating those who are), he can be coached in athletics by Sammael, and if it's a girl, she can get dating advice from Aunt Lanfear. Perfect! 

You forgot to mention that granddad Ishy/uncle Moriden could teach it philosophy and some mighty interesting eye tricks. ;) :D

well everything else you said made sense except lanfear.
Everything else made sense? It makes sense to be taught music and athletics by dead men? How could it be clearer that this was tongue in cheek?

(here I go all gender-biased, and I don't care, because I'm not PC and delight in irritating those who are) if it's a girl, she can get dating advice from Aunt Lanfear.
How about learning needlework from Aunt Semirhage?

Actually, now that I think about it for a minute, Aran'Gar wouldn't be such a bad mom, as the kid would have everything. For starters, if the kid had any gender identity crises come up, they already have the perfect parent to discuss the issues with. They have a pediatrician in Semirhage (and you think YOU didn't wanna go to the doctor as a kid), a psychologist in Graendal to help them sort out the many issues, gender-related or not, that they are sure to develop, and a well-rounded upbringing beyond that: music lessons from Uncle Asmo, an academic education from both Mom (Balthamel was a professor in the AOL) and Mesaana, and if it's a boy (here I go all gender-biased, and I don't care, because I'm not PC and delight in irritating those who are), he can be coached in athletics by Sammael, and if it's a girl, she can get dating advice from Aunt Lanfear. Perfect!  :)

You know, for the academic education it would be better to rely on Lanfear, since she was actually a researcher, while Mesaana was not considered good enough for research, and had to become a teacher instead.

About taveren; if a person spends enough time around one and/or is a taveren's lover, might that person become taveren?

Some taveren are more strongly taveren than other taveren; I guess the Pattern decides that.  The decision is based on what?

A balefire's time is calculated from when?  From the time the channeler weaves it or from the time it hits target?

If a dead person is balefired shortly after their death, would the person's last actions become un-done?

A stedding's boundaries are obviously defined by latitude and longitude.  Would the boundaries also be defined by height & depth, or not?  Two questions to clarify:

-If a hole was dug to some point under the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the bottom that hole?

-If a tower was built to some point over the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the top of that tower?

If the boundaries are also defined by elevation, I guess Far Madding's terangreals would block in a sphere like shape; would this be correct?

About taveren; if a person spends enough time around one and/or is a taveren's lover, might that person become taveren?

Some taveren are more strongly taveren than other taveren; I guess the Pattern decides that.  The decision is based on what?

A balefire's time is calculated from when?  From the time the channeler weaves it or from the time it hits target?

If a dead person is balefired shortly after their death, would the person's last actions become un-done?

A stedding's boundaries are obviously defined by latitude and longitude.  Would the boundaries also be defined by height & depth, or not?  Two questions to clarify:

-If a hole was dug to some point under the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the bottom that hole?

-If a tower was built to some point over the stedding, would a channeler be able to channel at the top of that tower?

If the boundaries are also defined by elevation, I guess Far Madding's terangreals would block in a sphere like shape; would this be correct?

I'm only attempting to answer some of these questions so don't think I just missed some.

As to the BF question I doubt it because to my understanding a persons thread is akin to there soul and a soul dies when a body dies so I figure it would be impossible to bring that soul back and take away it's last actions.

and the stedding question I think if you could build a tall enough tower you could but not a hole. Maybe thats just how my mind has formed the stedding but I always thought at some point if you got high enough you could get away from it but the ground below it is completely incased by it.

I don't have any answers for the other questions BUt there good ones I'm eager to here some other posters answers.

Archived