DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Various Issues

mb

Okay, I stand by what I said about Anaiyella. The way he treated the Tairan High Lords and Ladies might've been a hint as well. As was his treatment of Colavaere, perhaps, if someone was paying attention.

Regarding Salidar, all I see are references to the kind of camp followers you would expect (carpenters coming for work, cleaning women, cooks and the like). TFoH26 makes it clear that the village hasn't been lived in until very recently, and that it didn't have a normal community (very few men around, muck less children than one might expect considering the number of women in sight).

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andor's royal line is descendant from Ishara; Seanchan's from Luthair; Mayene's from a grandson of Hawkwing (or so they claim).

Do the other countries with a royal line also have a common ancestor? If not, how do they base their sucession?

Seanchan damane, do they get renamed like damane from main continent or do they keep their birth names?

Is Galina the only wetlander unable to escape from the Shaido; or do the remaining Shaido still have other wetlanders?

• 3 months later...

question about names of Seanchan damane, found answer in Knife of Dreams Chapter 14.

unanswered questions:

Andor's royal line is descendant from Ishara; Seanchan's from Luthair; Mayene's from a grandson of Hawkwing (or so they claim).

Do the other countries with a royal line also have a common ancestor? If not, how do they base their sucession?

Is Galina the only wetlander unable to escape from the Shaido; or do the remaining Shaido still have other wetlanders?

another question:

the books tell that Two Rivers folk have similar values to the Borderlanders.

did both groups "share" any of these: a common ancestor, a common acquaintance, similar experiences?

From one of Rand's POVs, he was unable to mask any of his bonds.

Where is the exact quote for that? It would make the difference between masking being something only bonders can do, or it being something only channelers could do (which is what I inferred from Min).

Knife of Dreams Chapter 21.  From the passage:

Min had tried to teach him a trick called masking that supposedly could hide him from the bond, but he had never been able to make it work. Of course, she admitted she had never been able to make it work either.

The method Min tried to explain I imagine was the handkerchief technique that Elayne taught her.

Ah, cool. That would seem to imply that the ability to mask the bond stems from channeling saidar, or a result of being able to channel saidar. Interesting.

I assumed this meant that, similar to gateway creation, the method differed among genders

Were Nynaeve and Elayne the first ones Ronde Macura fed forkroot to?

If so, how did Ronde know that it would shield them? Later joining Seanchan seems to indicate that she was neither a sparker nor trained in the One Power.

Indeed, she can't channel. And no, she seemed to know something of how it works before she took the wondergirls. How she learned of it, and managed to keep it a secret, I have no clue.

In the Eye of the World, just after the group enters Shadar Logoth (Chapter 19), Morainne is very weak and Nynaeve offers to assist with herbs. Lan is wary. Morainne makes a comment in reference to Nynaeve that "she doesn't know". During a re-read, I took this to mean that Morainne knows some of the possible effects of herbs on channelers.

unanswered questions::

the books tell that Two Rivers folk have similar values to the Borderlanders.

did both groups "share" any of these: a common ancestor, a common acquaintance, similar experiences?

About cuendillar colors, the seals have both white & black; so there would either be another metal that turns black or a way to turn iron so that the end process would result in black.

About Compulsion, some things that the white tower seems to allow might be considered similar to it::

-"twisting" on Warder bond

-mandatory swearing on Oath Rod

-oaths of fealty on Oath Rod

Jave wee seen a male produce cuendillar? when will woot words be added to the Android dictionary?

IMO, the remaining Shaido likely have other wetlanders. Galina is the only one of consequence as it were; at least the only one we have been shown that we "care" anything about. It's not on screen, but if they recaptured one they also probably did so for some others or never lost them. Or they will take others on their journey back to the Waste. Either way, we'll never know for certain (at least I think so) because it seems that the Shaido's time in the center of the story is done and we'll likely not hear much of them again.

RE: The Two Rivers and the Borderlands, here is what I think. First, the song "Coming Home from Tarwin's Gap" is mentioned by Mat I think in The Eye of the World. The person they are talking to in Shienar (Agelmar I think?) says it is no wonder, that few lands have not sent people to hold off the Blight over the years; so there probably have been at some point in time people from that area who have been to the Borderlands and back and that is leaving aside that Manetheren figured largely in the Trolloc Wars. Second, the Two Rivers, being at the far end of nowhere, like most other places of that sort, sort of froze in time. That is, with so little outside influence, the values that held in Manetheren, which were reputedly similar to those of the current Borderlands, were transferred parent to child down all of the long years since its fall.

Regarding a royal line, there are very few examples of a monarchy like to what you are assuming. For those with a strictly hereditary kingship, defined as always passing to the nearest kin of the current ruler, you probably should eliminate:

Tear (no king until Darlin and thus no need to choose)

Illian (picked by the Council of Nine)

Ebou Dar (until Beslan and his mom, the king/queen might not even have been the most powerful noble in the country)

Cairhien (post Laman - not really sure how they picked Riatin after Laman did his thing)

Tarabon (I'm unclear on how the King/Panarch thing works there, but I don't think it's strictly hereditary)

Murandy (a tangled mess)

Arad Doman (chosen by Council of Merchants? I think that's right)

I might be mistaken in one or more of these as I'm just going off the top of my head from what I recall on my recent re-read. The only Borderland nation for whom we know much of the way succession happens is Malkier, and that appears to be a combination of hereditary kingship with a Council that performs the duty of choosing a new king when the old one dies without a suitable heir: Cowin Gemallen and Al'Akir Mandragoran as far as we know were not related to a great degree and they were the two top choices of the Council that chose Akir as king. That appears to be a choice on merit, not on lineage, but it's hard to say for sure.

The point of two of the examples you gave is not the person listed at the head of the line, but that he was Artur Hawkwing's direct descendant and thus the rulers are all direct descendants of Hawkwing, and the third belongs to the one of the most stable nations that we know of in all of Randland, probably the first nation to form out of the chaos of the break up of Hawkwing's empire. So you're pointing at descendants of some of the most notable people in all of that part of the world. For the rest, it's likely there is one or even more than one - nobles being nobles they are pretty much all related in some form or fashion because they marry each other - but we don't know who they are.

I'm inferring it based on the fact that no women were involved with the plan of Lews Therin and the Hundred Companions. Which was the plan that put the seals in place. I suppose it's possible that the pieces of cuendillar that were used were just part of the Aes Sedai Symbol collector's plate collection and might have been made by women, but it seems more likely the seals were specifically made as part of that plan, in which case it is more than likely they were made by men. But I don't think there's a specific quote that says this.

One of the plans for ending the war quickly' date=' proposed by Lews Therin, centered around a direct attack on the Bore itself. Seven "focus points" (there seems no better translation from the old tongue, although they are obviously the Seals of Legend) were constructed of cuendillar.[/quote']

With this plus the disclaimer on the piece, I don't see how you can infer that.

Ok, went digging through the interview database and found this:

Interview: March 2000

Letter to Paul Ward (verbatim)

Paul Ward

Possible question: How did the Hundred Companions link to make the seals on the Dark One's prison?

Robert Jordan: They did not do it linked. They worked together individually, which made it more difficult, and that is part of the reason the seals have weakened so quickly. I never meant to imply linking. It is possible for large numbers to do a large project without linking, although it is more easily done in a circle.

This seems to suggest that the seals were created by the Hundred Companions themselves, who were all men.

Alright, SaSG was written in 1996, so he may have changed his mind if that's what he's talking about in the letter. (Note that characters differentiate between the focus points (the actual cuendillar pieces) and the seal on DO's prison.)

It's stupid, but add it to the pile of stupid WoT things then.

We've never seen anything to suggest ta'veren can affect people accross distance--other than other ta'veren of course, and given the ta'veren telepathy we know there is a seperate and distinct connection in place between ta'veren anyway.

I'm not so sure.  Rand, Perrin, and Mat managed to get an awful lot of people to Tear at the right place and the right time, from some pretyy large distances.  That little confluence always seemed very ta'veren-y to me.  I mean, Faile just happened to run away at the right time to meet Perrin?  The girls investigations in the Tower timed out perfectly to get them to Tear on time?

No, its certainly not conclusive, but it seems more than possible that people can be very subtly yanked from just about anywhere in the world.  The obvious "super-wedding day" type of effects seem to be limited by distance, but I don't think those are the only effects of ta'veren, or at least, ta'veren on the scale of Rand, Mat, and Perrin.

Hindsight is 20/20 :) #verinandmat

In the Eye of the World, just after the group enters Shadar Logoth (Chapter 19), Morainne is very weak and Nynaeve offers to assist with herbs. Lan is wary. Morainne makes a comment in reference to Nynaeve that "she doesn't know". During a re-read, I took this to mean that Morainne knows some of the possible effects of herbs on channelers.
There is at least one Aes Sedia in the Tower that has herbs; Moiraine might have gotten the info from her.

And the herb/herbs could have been almost anything.

There is at least one Aes Sedia in the Tower that has herbs; Moiraine might have gotten the info from her.

And the herb/herbs could have been almost anything.

I always read the scene as Moiraine saying that Nynaeve doesn't know that the weariness of channeling fades more swiftly than normal channeling.

If a damane were to become pregnant, how would Seanchan people treat her?

If she survives til birth, how would Seanchan people treat the baby?

Would Seanchan folk collar an already pregnant channeler?

If so, would the treatment be the same?

According to Seanchan rules, may a married person make their spouse into dacovale/sojhin?

If a damane were to become pregnant, how would Seanchan people treat her?

Abortion, probably. Considering their feelings on men who find damane attractive, it probably doesn't happen very often.

According to Seanchan rules, may a married person make their spouse into dacovale/sojhin?

Probably, but they'd probably be considered divorced at that point.

Just guessing on both of those points, but it seems logical. We don't know either way.

We really don't know about the pregnant damane situation.

I'm guessing it has happened though.

The tests with the collar continue until women are 25.

So, there'd be women who passed the test and then sparked and got pregnant.

Also too many damane in too much proximity to men.

Also too many wild hill tribes and suchlike savages who lack the civilised repugnance to consorting with damane

So pregnant channelers would have been captured by the a'dam, and in wars with hill tribes, and also captured damane would have been made pregnant by savages, etc.

Too many possibilities

One thing we know is, the Seanchan don't willingly kill damane though sometimes they mutilate them and punish them in horrible ways.

So, they won't necessarily force an abortion unless they have a safe (non-fatal) way of doing it.

Do they?

Maybe they take the kid away at birth?

What do they do to the father?

Beggars the imagination since he's a pervert and deviant.

About the second query, since a Seanchan noble can offer manumission to, and marry a da'covale, it may go the other way as well?

• 1 year later...

2 POVs mention Ansaline Gardens.  Knife of Dreams chapters 3 & 18.

The chapter 3 POV told that the place was destroyed.  Which side did the destruction?

Streith changes color according to the wearer's mood.  Which moods correspond to which colors?

• 1 month later...

Additional questions::

In New Spring, main area people seemed to think that the Aiel wanted to conquer the land.  By the time of the main series, they knew that they came to punish Laman.  When did they come to that realization?

When Nynaeve first meets Siuan and Leane after Sian's & Leane's stilling, Nynaeve felt their lack; yet not when she met Setalle Anan.  How come?

Because Nyn knew that Siuan and Leane should have had a connection there, so it was the difference she (initially) observed.  With Setalle she never knew that there should be a connection that was now missing, if that makes sense?  It was only comparartively late on that she discovered the 'link' that was missing, and even then she has to delve for it in order to see it.

Archived