DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Trailer Discussion Thread

Maximillion

I mean look. If you aren't hyped for the show at this point that's fine.

But it looks damn good to me sofar hehe. I can now clearly see how they plan to get new fans for our series.

Try to disconnect from the fact this is Wheel of Time and you gotta admit it looks super interesting compared to other recent fantasy fair.

And if you do that little mind exercise you can see how Amazon is positioning it. We want people to be like. Ok that looks cool.

Then they can learn about it.

Then become interested.

Then also read the books. 

Then join forums to battle it out ^.-

3 minutes ago, Agitel said:

I wouldn't assume that from the shot. I still haven't watched, but Loial is still hunched and obscured in that still, so it seems like they haven't really revealed what he is yet.

But Ogier are as big (bigger?) than trollocs.  I doubt hunching over brings him down to human size - unless Ogier aren't that tall in the show.

1 minute ago, CaddySedai said:

I mean look. If you aren't hyped for the show at this point that's fine.

But it looks damn good to me sofar hehe. I can now clearly see how they plan to get new fans for our series.

Try to disconnect from the fact this is Wheel of Time and you gotta admit it looks super interesting compared to other recent fantasy fair.

And if you do that little mind exercise you can see how Amazon is positioning it. We want people to be like. Ok that looks cool.

Then they can learn about it.

Then become interested.

Then also read the books. 

Then join forums to battle it out ^.-

The quality of the production looks excellent.  It looks like it will be a good show, but some key elements changed which makes it less compelling for some, not all. In fact probably not many in truth... but I am one of those that is less interested in the rewriting of the main story arc, just so I can add the visual element to what I have already imagined many times.

If the male/female elements of the Power are not part of the story it loses a lot of what the story is - imo.

4 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

If the male/female elements of the Power are not part of the story it loses a lot of what the story is - imo.

Just look at the dark Taint (it's Corruption on the show) of saidin . Does that look like saidar? Of course they can't stuff everything in that trailer

Edited by DaddyFinn

I'm not gonna take a trailer too seriously with respect to wordplay and misdirection after seeing Dune last week, which had an extremely misleading trailer, including lines of dialogue that were completely different. Why they would go so far as to edit different wording into a trailer I don't know, but I want to see an actual episode before trying to draw any conclusions about the way something is worded.

On the other hand, on a purely visual level, this looks fantastic. They're not cheaping out at all. Definitely tops The Witcher and early season Game of Thrones for pure spectacle. The story is there, so it's just a matter of adapting it right. We'll see. I actually liked The Witcher, too, but this looks a lot better. But I never read those books or played the games, so if they changed a bunch of stuff, I don't care and wouldn't even know.

They're not gonna get rid of the saidar/saidin split. That would just neuter the lore for no reason, but I don't expect them to explain that in a trailer, either. I think a good tactic would be something like the Game of Thrones "Histories and Lore" animations that came out as DVD extras, but since it's a streaming service, just release them when the episodes are released. Those can get into way more backstory and worldbuilding without turning the actual show into a bunch of exposition dumps. I think The Witcher suffered from that issue, too, with characters telling each other stories as a way to explain things to viewers, which tends to not play well in a visual medium.

5 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Just look at the dark Taint (it's Corruption on the show) of saidin . Does that look like saidar? Of course they can't stuff everything in that trailer

Logain's weaves start as white, with the "corruption" coming later. Rafe also avoided any mention of Saidin in his trailer breakdown of the Logain knife scene when discussing the taint.

There is no evidence of the removal of the split.

Again the initial trailers etc are from the point of view of the Aes Sedai and Outsiders.

The nuance of the halves of the power wouldn't be necessary since male channelers need to be gentled anyhow.

However spin the camera around. There is clearly LIGHT and Dark halves...and its not taint alone because then why would it only effect men. The whole of the One Power would be corrupted. And why have the two halves form the Ancient Symbol if not to call out the split. 

Plus in the trailer both are wispy (dark and light) but there's a slime..almost liquid quality overlaying on the dark.

Its pretty obvious the halves exist and will play a role. 

8 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Logain's weaves start as white, with the "corruption" coming later. Rafe also avoided any mention of Saidin in his trailer breakdown of the Logain knife scene when discussing the taint.

It could also be that he's weaving air and so it begins dark and TURNS white...not the other way around. 

And they aren't turning dark the taint is just crawling up the path of power.

Again...one can take it both ways till otherwise stated.

12 minutes ago, AdamA said:

I'm not gonna take a trailer too seriously with respect to wordplay and misdirection after seeing Dune last week, which had an extremely misleading trailer, including lines of dialogue that were completely different. Why they would go so far as to edit different wording into a trailer I don't know, but I want to see an actual episode before trying to draw any conclusions about the way something is worded.

I've noticed that trailers don't always match up to movies before.  Don't know why they do it.  Did something get cut or re-shot after the trailer but before release?  Is it deliberately misleading to some purpose?

Either way - awesome trailer.  This show will rock no matter how tall Loial is.

Edited by DojoToad

Just now, DojoToad said:

I've noticed that trailers don't always matched up to movies before.  Don't know why they do it.  Did something get cut or re-shot after the trailer but before release?  Is it deliberately misleading to some purpose?

Its better than in the old days when trailers used to spoil all the best parts. ?

29 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Rafe also avoided any mention of Saidin

There's no reason to throw a bunch of random, non-english words at people all at once. It's an accessibility issue. There's really no basis for believing that the One Power will be degendered.

2 minutes ago, Agitel said:

Until we see a full shot of Loial, I'm not going to assume anything from that one still in a trailer.

Plus hunching, plus the fact its a pretty big hill, plus the distance relative to camera. its all playing tricks on the eye. Till we get a true shot its impossible to tell how the height issue will be sorted.

2 hours ago, Agitel said:

I've no idea if there's a source for this, but if she's including Nynaeve in broad statements I feel like Moiraine is just speaking broadly and imprecisely to get them to do what she wants. 

Yes.  The simplest answer is that Moiraine is addressing the group overall. 

Reports from the exclusive scenes shown in London referenced something similar if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, Agitel said:

Until we see a full shot of Loial, I'm not going to assume anything from that one still in a trailer.

Agreed.  Many of us are making assumptions based on very limited data.  I really enjoyed the trailer, that part just did not seem right to me - hopefully the show makes him as big as he needs to be.