DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why is it so quiet here?

Elgee

Nods changed to world news now that most lockdowns in effect here, watching them and the debates feels a bit dejavuu'ish, its like watching our last couple weeks over again..

Trying not to focus on how long this will be or long time effect on our plans as so much is uncertain yet, and more on what we need to do day to day (like train, keep occupied and so on)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can see at least three topics we can do, one a discussion/place people can talk news about the virus, another where we share tips/resources on how to stay healthy, what to avoid etc. and a third where we share things that can keep us entertained and our minds off circumstances etc  running events would help with that too

Edited by Cross

Good ideas, Cross.

Today we took my youngest son’s girlfriend out to eat for her birthday. We went to Appleby’s. They would only seat guests at every other table or every other chair at the bar. They were disinfecting the menus after each guest.

14 hours ago, Ryrin said:

Today we took my youngest son’s girlfriend out to eat for her birthday. We went to Appleby’s. They would only seat guests at every other table or every other chair at the bar. They were disinfecting the menus after each guest.

Excellent precautions! Better that than closing down completely - then a lot of people lose their jobs again.

15 hours ago, Cross said:

i can see at least three topics we can do, one a discussion/place people can talk news about the virus, another where we share tips/resources on how to stay healthy, what to avoid etc. and a third where we share things that can keep us entertained and our minds off circumstances etc  running events would help with that too

Excellent ideas! Do you want to run with 1 or more of them, or rustle up some aspies or anyone else who's interested in running them?

On 3/14/2020 at 4:28 PM, Elgee said:

My sister works for a budget safari company as bookkeeper. Their largest client base is China, which is obviously now having a massive impact on their business. 2 People were already retrenched on Friday, and there are hints that they might all have to work half-days at half-pay. I have no idea how we will live on just half her salary - my whole salary goes on the rent and the utilities.

Well the news is even worse than we anticipated. Starting tomorrow, my sister will be working only 2 days a week, and taking a 60% pay cut. We're a bit buggered, as my whole salary goes on rent and utilities. Can't move anywhere cheaper, because our rent is way way way below market value. It's just that my salary is ridiculously below market value too.

Hugs, any chance she can get work helping with anything related to this all? I know here in many sectors they hire help temporarily, so pending her work skills could she get shifts somewhere else untill work picks up again?

20 hours ago, Liitha said:

Hugs, any chance she can get work helping with anything related to this all? I know here in many sectors they hire help temporarily, so pending her work skills could she get shifts somewhere else untill work picks up again?

Everybody here is laying off people - there are no jobs opening.

23 hours ago, Elgee said:

Well the news is even worse than we anticipated. Starting tomorrow, my sister will be working only 2 days a week, and taking a 60% pay cut. We're a bit buggered, as my whole salary goes on rent and utilities. Can't move anywhere cheaper, because our rent is way way way below market value. It's just that my salary is ridiculously below market value too.

Oh no! Can she pick up any side jobs?

15 hours ago, Dar'Jen Ab Owain said:

Today was my first day of work from home. I survived. Technical issues. Frustration. But took one call at a time. Praying tomorrow goes better.

I'm also working from home from tomorrow, using TeamViewer. I did it a few weeks ago when Tas (my cat) was injured, and it worked really well.

23 minutes ago, Ryrin said:

Oh no! Can she pick up any side jobs?

People are being laid off by the hundreds of thousands here. We're a very tourism driven country, and here in the Western Cape it's the main source of income. There are no jobs for even young, highly able and educated previously disadvantaged people. A 68 year old white female bookkeeper is going to struggle.

10 hours ago, Liitha said:

But wont they need to hire in the health care side of things, cleaning and deliveries as people get sick.

We see those sectors needing to hire now temporarily to meet demands

You live in a developed country, which isn't run like the ruling party's private piggy bank.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:19 PM, Millon said:

I'm just not havin a good time with RL atm and finding it hard to do. . . . anything. I've been checking in here though! Just not really participatin much. 

Same.

Love you all. 

Im also working in a new job as a Nurse Practitioner in a brand new Cancer center that is 2 hours away from my home. So I am commuting and trying to stay safe and healthy for my patients and my family. 

Rhea I didn’t know you were an NP. ?

*hugs Rhea*

also we have a patient who has corona at my hospital. She came in with abdominal pain and no other symptoms. They took a CT of her stomach and saw the bottom of her lungs and it looked like corona. She got tested and was positive. I was working in the ER that night but didn’t interact with her. Things are going a little crazy in the ER. I’m surviving though. 

Hey all! So! I got cut at work. Yay me. We’re good in BuffLo, NY. Just a lot of necessary precautions to starve this out. I really hope you’re all well. I don’t have a computer or internet at hole and I hate typing on the phone. We’re good though and, God willing, I’ll be back in line shortly. Love you all. Please be safe.