DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why is it so quiet here?

Elgee

Where is everyone?

Is the Corona Virus doing this, or something else?

One would think that with people trying to avoid contact with other people, online traffic would increase.

Talking of Corona ... how is it affecting you?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Elgee said:

It usually makes me tipsy after a few, just like Duff Beer.

7 minutes ago, Elgee said:

Where is everyone?

Honestly though!! I've been very very busy irl, closing on my old

property on March 2, closing on my new one next week... 

Miss you guys though!! xoxo ❤️

Edited by Calindra

1 hour ago, Calindra said:

1 hour ago, Elgee said:

It usually makes me tipsy after a few, just like Duff Beer.

ROFL!!

1 hour ago, Calindra said:

Honestly though!! I've been very very busy irl, closing on my old

property on March 2, closing on my new one next week... 

Ooh that sounds exciting! Tell us more? Where do you live, btw? I've forgotten.

1 hour ago, Liitha said:

Well keeping up with news I am guessing...

If there just wasn't so much contradicting opinions! Even the medical world seems to be divided. One lot say "oh it's only another flu", the rest are carrying on like it's the end of the world. Who do we believe?

Quite frankly, at the moment my opinion is that the economic disaster caused by the hype and panic and shutting down of industry and business is going to be much more far-reaching and devastating than the roughly 2% fatality rate (some say much less - the same as normal flu, which is under 1%) of those infected.

i've just been in lurker mode recently. mom's arm has been acting up the past few days, had to do some financial stuff, prepping things for my book release next week etc. i look and interact but haven't been AS active. will change though as i get my energy back

actually the mortality rate is more akin to 4% where the common flu is like less than a percent. i do agree the economic bit will have more lasting impact than anything else. if only people would stop panicking. it doesn't help when you have some leaders...well not leading. a strong hand at the till keeps the market happy. 

7 hours ago, Elgee said:

Ooh that sounds exciting! Tell us more? Where do you live, btw? I've forgotten.

I'm from Ontario Canada, where the premier of Ontario is in the middle of a strike with the province's teachers' unions, and they just used the Corona virus as an excuse to close the schools for 3 weeks. 

I suspect it wasn't purely for the 59 cases in Ontario that he did it, but then... as a parent, I think it's a good thing that kids don't congregate at school anyway. 

I'm just wondering what will happen to those parents that are still technically working...

House wise:

I sold my investment property for slightly double the amount I purchased it for.  So I've paid off a few debts, the car, and invested in a new house outside the city in the hopes I can work from home on some of my own projects. ?

Hopefully, it'll take steam and take off handsomely, and the beer situation will take care of itself. ?

Edited by Calindra

I think people missunderstood, this is a sars type virus in how it act with death rate and sever sickness rates, however in how it infect its more like the flu

The previous sars virus had a lov infection rate compared to flu so they didnt get as serious even if they had a higher seriousness for those who get sick.

The major problem because this goes more on airways then flu is the preasure this will put on health care, unless we limit how fast it spread people will die because we dont have room in hospitals to help those who need help.

Actually some numbers indicate now that this virus infect even quicker then regular flu, and because you spread it days before geting sick its so important to shut down - and yes some will die but unless we make sure to help the health system, by the time we reach the amount of people geting sick with flu the death rates will also be proportionately higher

On top of this is the flu and everything else going around, no point panicking, but we need to take it serious that if we dont do this the death rate will be a lot higher then nesicary - also that has an economic cost, because there are more people in the at risk groups then I think people realize, and their inability to go to work and needing health care for weeks and months..has an economic consequense too.

Look to italy they are known to have one of the best health systems, they now are geting to a situation where they have to make prioritized descisions on who has the best survival rate, and in that situation its not just going to be among corona infected, it means equipment like operation stuff and such too, traffic acidents etc. So we need to realize the big issue here is the preasure on health care, and their ability to help us, also with other medical issues. So it means not puting yourself at risk for geting sick with other stuff like the flu (because that may put a toll on medication suply) or other minor disease stuff where you need equipment and meds.

And not empty the stores of suplies because everyone need food, they will fill up stores again. Get what you need for a week or two in case you get sick, but leave something for neighbours and others too.

2 hours ago, Millon said:

I'm just not havin a good time with RL atm and finding it hard to do. . . . anything. I've been checking in here though! Just not really participatin much. 

Any simple games you enjoy playing that we can run? Think its a good time for that anyway, as we get used to close down state people gonna get antsy for something to do thats lighter and not so serious.

• RP - LEGACY

My son's one "extended spring break" for 3 weeks, though they are doing on-line assignments.

My job has sent us all home to work from there. I originally had connection issues, but finally connected and got my headset up and working. But my extra monitor, which I really need (I have one good eye) is not working, so will need to troubleshoot that.

Trying to take one thing at a time, but feeling a little overwhelmed.

11 hours ago, Cairos said:

ive been busy working at the hospital and getting used to the work flow. I just started nights on monday so its hard for me to be on here.

Dont worry you guys about to get double shifts and maybe live at work if gets bad enough. Sleep, eat as healthy as you can and take care of yourself. We all aware though there several jobbs thats critical and important we look after, you in health are the ones geting it hardest in the weeks and months to come.

My sister works for a budget safari company as bookkeeper. Their largest client base is China, which is obviously now having a massive impact on their business. 2 People were already retrenched on Friday, and there are hints that they might all have to work half-days at half-pay. I have no idea how we will live on just half her salary - my whole salary goes on the rent and the utilities.

I had a fall from my bike. I wasn’t moving. It’s embarrassing but I was stopped at a long light. My left foot was clipped in. My right wasn’t. I wasn’t paying attention and toppled over on my left. A little road rash but it really tweaked my back. Much better now.

I had previously messed up my thumb. I got a shot in the base of my thumb and it’s much better. However, I’m awaiting an MRI of my right hand because the x-ray revealed an old fracture and bone chip.

I’m a bit subdued. My oldest son had cancer the end of 2018. He had two radioactive iodine treatments. He’s cancer free now but he lives in Seattle near the coronavirus outbreak. They have advised people to work at home but his employer hasn’t implemented it yet. He’s going to push for it on Monday.

My youngest son is a fire-fighter/advanced EMT.

I have several of the conditions that would make me vulnerable to the virus.

So......  I’m really worried about the economic effect on people. People are staying at home. My synagogue canceled services. College classes are going online. Employers are cutting hours due to a lack of business. Worldwide, countries are shutting down. 

And...  people are fighting over toilet paper.

Lol on that.

• RP - LEGACY

Ryrin, hope you are ok. Falling is never fun. Praying for you and your family.

My son and I went to the grocery store at about 2 am to try to avoid crowds. Lots of things were out. We got what were could. Trying to have enough on hand for at least a week or more. Local 24 hour stores are changing their hours to 6 am to 11 pm starting tomorrow.

My immune system isn't the best. My dad is 78. I'm washing things brought into the apartment and washing hands. Trying to be as smart as possible.

Yes the economy will be effected, but that is a must anyway even if you let it roam (because people who are severly sick or dead cant work) - unfortunately what it comes down to is people will die, more then nesicary if we dont do these things, and so yes I know for many it will be a lot harder then those in countries with good systems..still what it comes down to is lives here, and willingness to risk someone you care about dying.

In italy they stoped intubating people over 60, they give oxygen if they can but..

WHO tried to tell everyone to shut down earlier, only a couple countries in asia did. So now we got to live with trying to slow this down so the top doesnt become so big that not everyone who need health care cant have it. Since it takes some days up too a week before you get effect of the stuff you do, it will get worse before it gets better. 

So just be carefull, and show care by staying away from eachother, wash hands and so on. 

I figure it will be an interesting few months.  Over here at UofE, after 3 weeks of teachers' strikes end Monday, classes are going online, and plenty of international students are fleeing home.   I'm not.     

I've been trying to work and continuing to heal.  I'm not sure how well I'm doing on the "Work" side of things--editing is difficult to evaluate, but the healing's good.

Well DM is here for talking, maybe we should throw up some chats and such. Helped me a lot in the past when I was sick, I would been bored out of my mind (which isnt a good state to be in for long) if not for DM people. Keeping your mood up is so important at times like these.

39 minutes ago, Liitha said:

Well DM is here for talking, maybe we should throw up some chats and such. Helped me a lot in the past when I was sick, I would been bored out of my mind (which isnt a good state to be in for long) if not for DM people. Keeping your mood up is so important at times like these.

Yes I've been wracking my brains for topics to draw people in. Anyone have any ideas?

Strugeling a bit since my brain between being sick and being filled with corona, parrots and ncis has a bit of trouble thinking of what would be fun.

Ideas for what to do with kids to keep em entertained, we have a lot of stuff for that, but maybe some need ideas?

Um oh anyone need help helping their kids with homework? We are a lot of people with experience in many different fields here. 

Maybe a quiz tread? Normally I dont like quizes cause they generally geared towards topics I am clueless in, but hardly standard group in here.

Um abc games they simple but pass time, in various topics.