DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greatest Warrior in Wheel of Time

Darksmoon

I wanted to see who everyone thought was the greatest warrior in Wheel of TIme and I am talking about non-channelers.

The two contenders I see are Lan and Mat. Mat beat Gawyn and Galad at the same time. Plus since then he has gotten all of those memories from battles. Hard for me to believe but I think it is Mat.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mat is probably the most dangerous non-channeler in the entire series.

His weapon choice is generally better than a sword and faster in striking, he's highly adaptable, isn't above throwing a dagger or three to win, and has had a TON of real world battlefield experience over the time he's been commanding the band on their campaigns.

I'd say Mat without a doubt. It's hard to beat those memories and skills. If skills, memories, experience, muscle, and speed make the warrior, Mat is no doubt the best. All of those 5 are limited, generally speaking, you can only gain so many skills, memories, and experience before your muscle and speed give out due to old age. Speed and Muscle, while being able to be attained through practice, are limited in some way based on body type. I.E. Perrin is strong from being a Blacksmith, he also has a naturally large build. Mat is naturally leaner, even if he worked as a Blacksmith, he'd gain the muscles, but never be quite as strong.

Mat has the skills, memories and experiences of many many lifetimes, much more than a normal man could ever hope to attain. He also has the muscle of youth, even if average at best, he's no weakling, and he's fast. Extremely fast. So out of the 5, he gets above amazing scores on 4. If we used a 1-5 ranking system, 5 being perfect, Mat would vbe 10's in 3 of those.

So my vote would go to Mat, without a doubt, even without his luck.

What do you mean by warrior? Do you mean best tactician, who is best at a fight on his own or who have the greatest potential to kill the most people? For if you want the greatest swordsman then probably Lan, if for who would be hardest to beat then probably Matt because of his luck. If you are going to go with who is the best warrior with no supernatural aid, well perhaps some of those Aiel chieftains. It all depends on what sort of warrior you are talking about.

Mat may be good, but you have to recall him in the Stone, quarterstaff versus blademaster, did not work, yeah he beat the two boys in White tower, then Couladin, but we don't see him going up against, blademasters...

Bryne is merely good, not even blademaster.

Perrin doubted he could beat Aram.

surprisingly, no Aiel has ever been singled out as being the best, tho it is obvious that some are really good (translate... above average or top 20% but none have been expressed to be part of a limited elite amoung Aiel)

I still think Galad can still school Gawyn (pre Gawyn's bonding to Egwene) tho many said Gawyn pulled ahead in the fight to save Egwene from the seachan assasins. but beyond those two... Rand, Lan... Tam used to be, but I don't think u can expect blademaster work from someone who has been out of it for so long

We never saw any shore born go up against Sea Folk Master of Blades (?)

Mat may be good, but you have to recall him in the Stone, quarterstaff versus blademaster, did not work, yeah he beat the two boys in White tower, then Couladin, but we don't see him going up against, blademasters...

He didn't have proper room to maneuver in the Stone. We know that the weapon is not an issue per the story of Jearom's only loss coming to a farmer with a quarter staff.

Edit: I bet we are going to see a Ogier Gardener from the Deathwatch kick some serious ass at TG(it would be crazy if we see some DF ones). At least one of those has to be near the top.

it is mentioned that when rand (i think) see Ruharc and Lan together he estimate them as equally deadly

and Couladin gave 2 eyes Mat a a TOUGH fight.

btw another good candidate is Loyal -> he hate to fight but i douth many could beat him if he is really angry

the way i c it -> number 1 is Mat due to his luck (still remeber how he beat a great lord in Tir by simpky resting his staff over his shoulder) with number 2 position is a close call between Lan /Ruharc /Loyal /Jin (before he died at the Fin) / Perrin in wolf rage / Alias in wolf rage... and there an open slots for an Aial / Ogeir/ Sinchean/ or other local heroes/chars we hadnt met yet

Loial is like the one character from the movie dodgeball. Reads a lot. Knows a lot. And can kick some serious @$$ in a fight.

If we are talking straight fighting skill then it is Couladin, Rand (pre warder bond), Perrin or any of the top fighting Aiel.

If we are talking about supernatural included you have:

1. Mat

2. Lan

3. Padan Fain

4. Rand (post warder bond)

5. Gareth Bryne (post warder bond)

He didn't have proper room to maneuver in the Stone. We know that the weapon is not an issue per the story of Jearom's only loss coming to a farmer with a quarter staff.

Edit: I bet we are going to see a Ogier Gardener from the Deathwatch kick some serious ass at TG(it would be crazy if we see some DF ones). At least one of those has to be near the top.

This is exactly what I meant when I said that there are a zillion variables. Are they unarmed? Then I'd give it to the Aiel (in general), Rand, then Lan and then the rest of the Warders.

Are they outside? Good chance it's Mat.

Are they inside? How small is the room. I'd hate to be in a room with Padan Fain by the door. Even if I could beat the snot out of him, all he has to do is scratch me with that dagger.

Are we getting rid of supernatural abilities? I'd say Lan, Rand or one of the Aiel warriors. Maybe, Mat.

We could go on and on with this. It's fun, I'm not complaining, I just used to read a lot of Bruce Lee books and he goes on about how even how tight your pants are can make a difference.

One more, are you keeping Faile from Perrin? That guy will probably die trying to kill you.

I think it is a really good point that Mat only has one eye now. That certainly will play a major role in how good a fighter he is now.

I also agree with the thought that Lan would not lose. I remember in New Spring him fighting and stating that the other guy was better but got over confident when he injuryed Lan. Lan doesn't quit.

Archived