DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Greatest Warrior in Wheel of Time

Darksmoon

Very true, i'm using spear and staff interchangable because we're mostly talking about Mat and Aiel when we speak of staff users/spear users so while they aren't the same weapon they are evolutionily close (dont think evolutionily is a word though but you catch my meaning)

As to the High noon challenge... accepted. But i'm currently 200 miles off coast in the middle of the ocean so the logistics might be a bit hard :tongue:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true, i'm using spear and staff interchangable because we're mostly talking about Mat and Aiel when we speak of staff users/spear users so while they aren't the same weapon they are evolutionily close (dont think evolutionily is a word though but you catch my meaning)

As to the High noon challenge... accepted. But i'm currently 200 miles off coast in the middle of the ocean so the logistics might be a bit hard :tongue:

I'll get a rowboat, I'll meet you there in a month. ;)

I'm lazy and I don't really feel like reading through 3 pages... but what about Birgitte? I mean, one on one, a bow could kill quicker than a staff or a spear or a sword if the bowman (woman) had some space. And realistically, if you have enough arrows, you *probably* could kill more people in battle with a bow than with a sword, spear, or staff.

They gave one example. I find it hard to believe that most Warders would lose to most shepherds who use the quarterstaff. The example was given as education and advice. As Han Solo said. "That's great, kid. Don't get cocky."

Exactly. When I first read it, that is impression I got as well.

As for quarterstaff, if it always beats the sword, then everybody would use it, in the real world or the fictional, which is certainly not the case. No doubt they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Brigitte with the bow, given enough distance is ultra deadly. In the real world, a well placed sniper can stall an entire army.

With the bow, Perrin or Rand then Matt after Birgitte. Actually, Tam before all three of them, if the Bel Tine contests are any indication.

I wonder how Tam would measure up to Birgitte..

I'm guessing Birgitte wins 99 out of 100 times against any other bowmaster. She's Birgitte. ;)

With the bow, Perrin or Rand then Matt after Birgitte. Actually, Tam before all three of them, if the Bel Tine contests are any indication.

I'm guessing Birgitte wins 99 out of 100 times against any other bowmaster. She's Birgitte. ;)

She does have the whole hero of the horn, and thousands of lifetimes, thing going for her. But we don't know the extent of what Tam, can do.

She does have the whole hero of the horn, and thousands of lifetimes, thing going for her. But we don't know the extent of what Tam, can do.

Tam's a bad ass. There's no doubt. Sword, quarterstaff or bow, he'll whoop yo ass. ;) I just think that Birgitte's personality is even wrapped up with the bow - ex - Elayne always pictures Birgitte's focus and a bow and arrow pulled and ready.

well in EotW rand could put the arrows almost touching each other at 100 paces, and Rand is nothing near Tam

Tam's a bad ass. There's no doubt. Sword, quarterstaff or bow, he'll whoop yo ass. ;) I just think that Birgitte's personality is even wrapped up with the bow - ex - Elayne always pictures Birgitte's focus and a bow and arrow pulled and ready.

Yeah I mean Birgitte is obviously the best shot. That goes without saying. Tam is good but she is best of all time HotH good.

I had wished Mat would use a bow more, that was pretty much his only weapon in EotW and he pulled off an amazing shot from horseback against one of the vicious beasts in the blight while moving, and I believe behind him too; his skills with a staff type weapon are unmatched, but I really think he was great with a bow as well.

I had wished Mat would use a bow more, that was pretty much his only weapon in EotW and he pulled off an amazing shot from horseback against one of the vicious beasts in the blight while moving, and I believe behind him too; his skills with a staff type weapon are unmatched, but I really think he was great with a bow as well.

mat and perrin where equal in WotW, with Rand well surpasing them. It seems strange how far they have all moved from their original weapons now.

mat and perrin where equal in WotW, with Rand well surpasing them. It seems strange how far they have all moved from their original weapons now.

For sure about moving away from their original weapons...And I agree with Entreri about Rand's skill, he seemed to really come in under pressure in tGH with a bow.

Does birgette have a Two Rivers bow?

This is an interesting question. She does not have one that I know of, but I wonder how she would compare to Tam if they both were using a long bow in the Two Rivers fashion. I'm no expert on the subject of bows and arrows, but it does take a surprising amount of physical strength to draw a longbow and as much of a badass Birgitte is, it would put her at a disadvantage compared to someone physically stronger, like Tam.

I wanted to see who everyone thought was the greatest warrior in Wheel of TIme and I am talking about non-channelers.

The two contenders I see are Lan and Mat. Mat beat Gawyn and Galad at the same time. Plus since then he has gotten all of those memories from battles. Hard for me to believe but I think it is Mat.

I don't think you can really put Ta'veren into the discussion, much less one that has had the memories of a thousand lifetimes given to him by an outside source. Having the universe bend itself around you isn't the result of being a great warrior, its the result of being born lucky.

Assuming you're talking about the 'here and now', I think you would have to say Galad and Lan are at the top of the list which should probably include Couladin, Rhuarc and Gawyn as well, but I suppose it depends on how you define a 'warrior'... being a legendary general with a brilliant tactical mind might make you a great warrior, even if age has stolen from you the ability to dominate on the front lines.

Lan is far ahead of Galad, Couladin was a great top tier Aiel, but certainly not near Rhuarc. According to Perrin, he did not see any difference between Lan and Rhuarc (book 4)...this is before Lan took it to the next level after Moraine's death. Avienhda then describes Lan as the most dangerous man she has ever seen, a "Lion".

The authors classed the top blademasters in the world as follows: Lan, Rand (fully armed), Galad and Gawyn, in that order.

Best warriors in the WoT, with both eyes and arms: Lan, Rhuarc, Rand and Mat. With the ta'avern factor on, fight to the death, Rand should win, otherwise I have Lan.

When I read WoT, I always get the impression that Lan is #1, not just as the top blademaster, but the top warrior. For a definitive answer, someone can ask Sanderson.

I wanted to see who everyone thought was the greatest warrior in Wheel of TIme and I am talking about non-channelers.

The two contenders I see are Lan and Mat. Mat beat Gawyn and Galad at the same time. Plus since then he has gotten all of those memories from battles. Hard for me to believe but I think it is Mat.

I don't think you can really put Ta'veren into the discussion, much less one that has had the memories of a thousand lifetimes given to him by an outside source. Having the universe bend itself around you isn't the result of being a great warrior, its the result of being born lucky.

Assuming you're talking about the 'here and now', I think you would have to say Galad and Lan are at the top of the list which should probably include Couladin, Rhuarc and Gawyn as well, but I suppose it depends on how you define a 'warrior'... being a legendary general with a brilliant tactical mind might make you a great warrior, even if age has stolen from you the ability to dominate on the front lines.

Well, minus taveren, channelers and heroes of the horn, then yes, i think that your list is fairly complete. What about Toram Riatain? He was killed by Lan, but he was about equal to Rand in the sword and Rand was very good. Or what about Sulin or any of the Maidens? We never really see how well they do in battle, but I would assume they are decent (if maybe not legendary status)

Toram Riatin was killed by Lan rather quickly, but that was against the best.

Riatin was an extremely skilled blademaster, a true blademaster. Rand of course was playing with him, big mistake. Rand was wearing gloves and button up shirt, which limited his mobility, Toram commented on this. Nonetheless, Riatin was close to Rand's level.

The top warrios in WoT are: Lan, Rhuarc, Rand and Mat

Well, minus taveren, channelers and heroes of the horn, then yes, i think that your list is fairly complete. What about Toram Riatain? He was killed by Lan, but he was about equal to Rand in the sword and Rand was very good. Or what about Sulin or any of the Maidens? We never really see how well they do in battle, but I would assume they are decent (if maybe not legendary status)

But then all of the maidens that guard Rand are incredible. Especially because they will die for him. An enemy willing to die but that doesnt want you to pass, is a much harder enemy to kill than one that excepts death. All of the maidens are BA anyways.

Lan is definately a prime candidate and 1 of my favorites for number 2 position -> going with Mat as number 1 mainly due to his memories and luck.

but Loyal also have a claim

he single handadly guard a a room full of civilian in Tear facing Trollocs and fadeS.

he traveling from the closed gate backe to the village while carrying wounded Gaul on his back

Mat himself estimate a gardener Ogier as worth 5 train soldeirs , and the impession i get is the Loyal is above the Ordinary , and he is only a teen in Ogier count so he keep growing in steangth and skill

another candidate is Elias

a warder who can enter Wolf Rage

a man who Lan mention teached him several things (about the blight if i remember correctly)

if he was alive -> the Green Man would be a prime candidate altough i'm not sure if he to be regard as warrior

and there always the possebility of a person we hadnt met yet ,maybe 1 of the sea falk cargo masters it is mentioned they are skilled warriors or someone from Shara...

Archived