DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is your favorite character in WOT?

lionheart

Who is your favorite character in WOT?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite character in WOT?

2. 2. Which one from above should I remove? (to add another character)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mat, but he's gone down hill in my opinion since bs took over. He's still the best just a little less so.

yeah I also thought so.

book 10,11 had the best development of Mat's character. IMHO BS didn't/couldn't handle him well.

Still he is the best!!

Asmodean! Great character. I love his story about the man gripping onto the twigs while Asmodean watches.

That is a great quote...

TFoH Ch. 3

I once saw a man hanging from a cliff. The brink was crumbling under his fingers, and the only thing near enough to grasp was a tuft of grass, a few long blades with roots barely clinging to the rock. The only chance he had of climbing back up on the cliff. So he grabbed it." His abrupt chuckle held no mirth. "He had to know it would pull free.

Asmodean is my favorite forsaken.

yeah Asmodean didn't get enough ink to develop into the unique character he was promising to be... still Lanfear is my favorite forsaken.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoy reading Nynaeve. She is one the most passionate characters in the entire series. But what I like the most about her is that she cares so much about Rand Mat and Perrin. She doesnt think of them like tools, but instead as friends (or young children at the beginning at least). She cares about there mind set too. She is one of the most driven and passionate characters in the series. Whether its to kill moraine for ruining their lives (as she thinks) or to support Rand and help him as he needs it she is a very vibrant character. I think the only problem she has straying from her normal personality is during the trip to Ebou Dar when she spends the entire time hiding from Mat.

• 2 months later...

One interesting observation... no one has voted for Min! What may be the reason? Is that because she cannot channel? Or because her character is always shadowed by Rand? Mind you she does have special ability, that is unique. No other character has it. So, what can be the reason?

Nynaeve for her loyalty and passion - out of all the characters she's the one Id really be friends with.

Min is one of my favourites, muses, possibly top 5: Nyn, Mat, Avi, Min, Androl, but she doesn't beat Nyn.

I voted Ishydin. He's crazy, and that's a lot of fun in a character. Plus, his scenes are almost always awesome and revealing.

I thought about voting for Mat or Nyn, but I like Moridin better, by a little bit. They both have serious flaws but yet are the most moral people on the good side, IMO.

i voted mat, apart from having the most lol moments his reasons for getting his hands dirty seem the most human. He's not looking (at first) to save the world, he's just looking to live a quite life tupping barmaids and gambling. It's his sense of duty to his friends, plus the DO trying to kill him that he keeps getting in to trouble.

I voted Moiraine since she is the only one of my three favorites who where on the poll. I have three favorite characters and I do not really know how to choose between them.

I really like Taim because he is a great villain. Taim is snarky, sarcastic and very powerful, he just bring every scene he is in to life and he is so fun to read about. I really enjoy a well done villain, with Taim you know he is up to no good, but it is so fun to read about him that I just do not care.

I also really like Logain, I love mage characters and he is a very powerful one, he seam like a decent guy and he is described as very handsome, also I just can not resist characters with traumatic pasts and you do not get much more traumatic a past than Logain's.

I have liked Moiraine since I first was introduced to the WoT books, she is both the classical mage mentor that we see in so much fantasy but she also have a great personality and as the series advance one start to see vulnerabilities in her which makes her more human. I also like how valiant she is, she know she risk something worse than death for helping Rand but she never flinches. Also when she toss herself and Lanfear through that gateway to Finnwille she know that she might die, be tortured or worse but she do it anyway. It is not so often to see a female character who is both feminine and valiant, often female characters are either men with boobs and act like men, or they are damsels in distress, yes this trend are changing but it is still prevalent but Moiraine is both courageous and valiant and she is very feminine, oh and like I said I like magick and mages. :)

• 4 months later...
Guest GDRMatos

My fav is Nynaeve, without a doubt. Even though that's a female character, she shares many personality traits with me. We both have a temper.

The one you should remove is Egwene. Please, balefire her.

Thread resurrection there!

I voted for Lan. He, Thom and Mat are my favourite characters- Mat for his humour, Thom for having a good backstory, Lan for being awesome, and also for showing kindness to the Two Rivers characters in books 3-4.

Special mention goes to Ingtar Shinowa.

I'm not sure how I cannot vote for Mat since I've reread the books just only reading the Mat chapters.  Those chapters are the most fun for me to read.  And kinda the point of reading is to enjoy it.  The Mat chapters have some of the best quotes, points of view, and action is the entire series.

Rand.

He is the heart of the story. (Although I saw strange threads about questioning his central position...) Min is the second, Nyn is the third, then: Avi, Tuon, Verin, Moi, Mat, El, Eg etc.

We often argue over Jordan's biggest flaw and I always say that: there are too many adorable characters (minimum 50-60) in the books. The reader can love even Elaida, Alviarin,Suroth etc. Who knows, maybe this makes the series so strong and unique.

• 3 weeks later...

Me personally i liked lan the best. his back story is by far the most harshest of all. He is a king with no nation. A man of such great honor none dare question it. He has lost the most to the shadow then any other in my opinion. But not only that but because hes the one who taught Rand that he is the dragon reborn and to not be pushed and bullied by the AS (i didnt like how rand was a push over at first and how the women in the siers controled him). He tought Rand how to accept his duty with honor and grace.... When all would treat Rand diffrent Lan was always there to let him know he was still just a farm boy from the two rivers and remind him of his duty. Lan in my opinion represents the sacrafices of all the boardlanders in the fight agenst the shadow. Remeber at the begining of the seires the souther nations think trollocs are a myth... in my opinion that tells you how good the boarderlanders do there job.... Lan lost his who kingdom as a baby and none except the boarderlanders and AS even remeber it. He has fought the shadow his whole life like no other in the sieres has of all the charcters you would expect lan to be the most jaded and weary of the fight but he just takes it all in stride and never once gave up or quit his fight agenst the shadow no matter how bad or hard the fight was to me lan is the larger than life charcter in the whole series yet he still gives the impression of being a regular guy with his own failings. and besides hes the only wet lander the Aiel truely respected before the crossing.

I would vote for Mat , Perrin or Rand because ,hey, awesome protagonists are awesome.

But then I remember how awesome I felt with the ending of Fires Of Heaven. And how much I liked new spring. So Moiraine it is :<

Hope my opinion stays that way for the next 7 books.

• 2 weeks later...

Elayne... She is brazenly stupid. Yet I don't find her annoying.

Stupid?! Hello she is the most evolve character. Is this your blonde prejudice speaking? She is wise enough to know when to shut up unlike Nyneave who said whatever comes to her mind at the moment of thinking it( It is ironic that she becomes the village wisdom, she lacks any) She is naïve and brave which makes her foolhardy. She is generous and kind, the most underrated quality. I think it is more important than intelligence which is worshipped and leads to acts of unbelievable catastrophe. She is far from stupid and has come a long way from her mother's court and rightly deserve to be canonise as the Greatest Queen Andor. 

That said, my favourite character is Mat for abvious reason.

Demandred is my favourite.

I love the forsaken, or at least, how they were portrayed. They werent these faceless beings without emotions or personalities. Each individual forsaken has a rich weave of history, with their own level of evil. Some are very black and white in their intentions, some have more gray areas.

But Demandred always stood out to me as different. I always felt that out of the 12 forsaken, his hatred for Rand/Lews Therin was easily the strongest. He wanted so badly to have revenge on Lews Therin for being the dragon instead of him, but at the same time, he was always too level-headed to just run into the fray and try to take him out. His extreme anger is balanced so well with his cool deameanor that the hatred the other forsaken feel toward Rand seems almost trivial.

He wanted so badly to have revenge on Lews Therin for being the dragon instead of him, but at the same time, he was always too level-headed to just run into the fray and try to take him out. His extreme anger is balanced so well with his cool deameanor that the hatred the other forsaken feel toward Rand seems almost trivial.

AMOL SPOILER

Until Brandon changed the character in AMoL that is. Couple hilarious comments on the change and the ludicrous succession of duels:

Mr Ares

DEMANDRED: "FACE ME LEWS THERIN!"

SHARAN: "Sir, there's a Valan Luca here to see you? He says he's here to challenge you to fisticuffs?"

DEMANDRED:"... Send him in."

Unreasoner

"Why Demandred decided to drop acid before donning that ridiculous armor and taking the field was beyond M'Hael, but his position was not yet secure enough to question the actions of the other Chosen."

Edited by Master Ablar

Honestly the character nyneave bugged me to death, with egwene and Elaine close behind in descending order. I literally skipped a lot of their chapters for all the crap. Hugs and kisses, sister this, love you that, my god for the three most powerful women on earth they are damn annoying. And nyneaves hatred of moiraine is so ridiculous? It is clear to anyone reading that it is not her fault that the boys were tarveran, she also saved their lives, not destroy them. Every time they ask a dumb question only to have moiraine calmly tell them the obvious answer, and then still stay angry at her after, as if its her fault they didn't know, I wanna scream.

Anyway, perrins determination, for ages, to deny and fight off the wolf stuff is another stupid thing, why does he regect it? I would be lapping that shit up. He is a bitch.

And the constant thing were he writes in the fact that all three boys think the other 2 are good with girls? Yeah it was funny the first time but after like 50 references it gets really dull. Was this dude a Mormon for Petes sake, they were grown men and Perrin and rand blush like school girls at the first hint of skin!

I would say mat was the most interesting to read but personally fav chachter is loial, the way he gets scared in parts is really funny, and if I was in the story myself I think I would like to be sitting in the back taking notes and crushing the occasional skull with a stick the size of a mans arm, he's bad ass yet really humble, and chilled.

I have I only just started book 4 but am seriously thinking of putting it all away because of them damn girls, will nyneave hold onto that stupid role of protector of emens feild the whole time? I ask this already suspecting she will be the eventual downfall of moiraine