DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will you theory nerds do after the series is finished?

Mystica

do you anticipate withdrawel periods?

Are you preparing for that time? How? What will you fill the gap with?

Seriously, after 10+ years of theorizing on WOT plotlines and whatnot, that's going to be a major life twisting event.

What will you do???

Its going to be a sad, sad day...

:-)

Not that I was particularly good at thinking up new and earth shattering theories, but I loved to read others theories and comments and questions. It helped to get me through the waiting between book releases.

But now?

Hmm, sad, sad days ahead...

:-)

Might even need to resort to reading WOT fan fiction, some one is bound to write about life after The Last Battle!

I think there'll still be things to theorize about after the last book's released.

Might even need to resort to reading WOT fan fiction, some one is bound to write about life after The Last Battle!

That's a good idea actually lol.

I would love to see a good writer, (not BS) write about the AoL and the War of Power. It would be like the 3 prequels to Star Wars. Or

The Trolloc Wars with what we know of that time I think the groundwork is all layed out for some writter to make it come alive.

Im with Damandred. And I'm sure that I personally will still have much to theorize about.....such as just like Rand had his Epiphany, when where and how did 'Elan' learn his knowledge, in particular how he realized he was the "champion" of Dark and remembered HIS past lives and battles against the Dragon.

Yeah but Mark, isn't it a bit blowing against the wind to theorize about something that we'll never get to see the outcome of? We're not talking about a religion, after all (I know, shame on me for thinking that. Sue me :tongue:)

In reality, theorizing for the sake of theorizing is done. A lot (I work at a university, trust me, I know). But eventhough no practical use may be obvious for generations, eventually the theory is either proven or disproven. Life has a way of doing that even if it takes hundreds of years.

Theorizing about a fantasy world, made up in an author's mind, who is definit in time by definition, seems more like wishfull thinking than theorizing. Great for fanfic (something RJ was categorically against, btw, though he made an exception for Roleplaying), but fanfic is nothing more than guesswork and remains guesswork no matter how good it is. There is no and never will be any circumstance that may prove or disprove those theories once the original author stops writing. So what do you end up with then?

The mass acceptance of the theory of a few fans' opinion being taken for truth. For no other reason than that they are considered the top source and no other source could possibly be believable. That sounds more like a usurping of the original author's ownership of the story and the world they created than a solid scientific theoretical basis for research and discussion.

Even Brandon nor Harriet will be able to think up the real truth of things that RJ would have put in place. And I think we can agree that they, above and beyond anyone else, have the highest level of insider knowledge possible. We know this because RJ often included things in the story from which he said that Harriet wasn't aware of it and it was a surprise even to her. It is reasonable to assume he would have had many other such moments if he were to continue writing after the ending of the book. He was deliciously devious that way.

So with this in mind, I ask again: what's the point in theorizing after the end?

I would love to see a good writer, (not BS) write about the AoL and the War of Power. It would be like the 3 prequels to Star Wars.

In addition to RJ's own refusal to ever allow a "shared world" scenario to happen, has there ever been a better argument against doing such a thing?

Winter's Heart book tour, Raleigh, VA 28 November 2000 - Brian reporting

He was asked so many things that I thought I would just throw them all out before I forget.

-- "If anyone tries to write in this world, I'll have to take him out at his kneecaps."

-- "I actually have it written in my will that anyone who does should in fact be taken out at his kneecaps."

and there are many more along those lines.

As for what should come after, though someone said harriet said this won't happen, but I'm of the opinion that open sourcing prequals would be cool, with Brandon and Harriet doing editorial oversight. "The Age of Legends." narrow stories of individuals living in the AoL written by people of talent who want to wiggle their toes in Jordans giant pool. There is a lot of opportunity in that. I said the same with HP "Hogwarts, a history." where others flesh out the past history of magical tradition.

Yell at George R.R. Martin to finish his series before he effing dies.

I'm reading A Dance With Dragons,just now. A third of the way through. As it been worth the wait? *shrug* I'll know in a few days.

I haven't tackled it yet. I'm actually kinda stewing a little bit wondering if he see's a bigger and easier paycheck with the TV Series, and abandons the books in exchange for a protracted TV deal.

When I read AMoL, I'll most likely think "wait, that is that theory, o, and that one. I didn't expect it to be true. Ah, yes, it is clear that Demandred Roedran is evil" and so on. And after that, I will be here to discuss the last things, watch the General WoT discussion become less active, help fresh readers who want to know things, and spam a lot at the Social Groups.

I ain't going anywhere. I'll continue to theorize on what happens next, the rest of the 4th Age, 5th age, 6th Age, 7th Age, whether or not the Wheel will ever stop turning, what the story would be like if everyone smoked weed, and just about any other foolishness, I suppose.

Probably sigh, then cry, then laugh at myself, then just hug the book for a while. Then I'll probably re-read it so that I can make sure I haven't missed anything before coming here and saying 'I told you so' if any of my theories or even ones that I supported are correct. Then I'll probably tell my teamies at work about it because they know all about my semi-pathetic :blush: social life here and will be interested in our antics.

Archived