DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will you theory nerds do after the series is finished?

Mystica

Does anyone participate in GRRM's SoIaF theory website stuff?

Note, I havn't read DWD yet, so no spoilers please, but I was wondering if the community and theorizing is similar? Maybe it's just that I havn't participated but SoIaF just seems so much more straightforward that WOT levels of theorizing just wouldn't happen?

Note, I havn't read DWD yet, so no spoilers please, but I was wondering if the community and theorizing is similar? Maybe it's just that I havn't participated but SoIaF just seems so much more straightforward that WOT levels of theorizing just wouldn't happen?

It will not seem so straightforward after you'll visit one of those sites. You won't believe the huge amount of theories flying around there, some with thousands of posts on a single subject(Jon's parents is one of them).

I suggest you read Dance first though, it will be a lot easier. Don't know if the sites are still maintaining the spoiler rule about it, although they should.

After the release of DwD, I had to take a break from Westeros for a time; they had over 900 online users at any given time(or at least while I was online), so it was hard to keep track of every topic for discussion, especially in the DwD section.

But I think things cooled down, although I can't say for sure.

I was going to say, I think I'll be just fine. These last couple of years are like a slow withdrawal - we have less and less to speculate about. But now I think I probably would need to see to some business in Sydney before I can safely retire. Better not elaborate too much here - in case some extradition treaty exists that I'm not aware of.

It will not seem so straightforward after you'll visit one of those sites. You won't believe the huge amount of theories flying around there, some with thousands of posts on a single subject(Jon's parents is one of them).

I suggest you read Dance first though, it will be a lot easier. Don't know if the sites are still maintaining the spoiler rule about it, although they should.

After the release of DwD, I had to take a break from Westeros for a time; they had over 900 online users at any given time(or at least while I was online), so it was hard to keep track of every topic for discussion, especially in the DwD section.

But I think things cooled down, although I can't say for sure.

Welp, that's probably where I'll be. Terrorizing them with my Sansa love (Kidding! Kidding!). Knowing GRRM, that'll be another 60 years of theorizing and another new author to finish it....

Yeah but Mark, isn't it a bit blowing against the wind to theorize about something that we'll never get to see the outcome of? We're not talking about a religion, after all (I know, shame on me for thinking that. Sue me :tongue:)

In reality, theorizing for the sake of theorizing is done. A lot (I work at a university, trust me, I know). But eventhough no practical use may be obvious for generations, eventually the theory is either proven or disproven. Life has a way of doing that even if it takes hundreds of years.

Theorizing about a fantasy world, made up in an author's mind, who is definit in time by definition, seems more like wishfull thinking than theorizing. Great for fanfic (something RJ was categorically against, btw, though he made an exception for Roleplaying), but fanfic is nothing more than guesswork and remains guesswork no matter how good it is. There is no and never will be any circumstance that may prove or disprove those theories once the original author stops writing. So what do you end up with then?

The mass acceptance of the theory of a few fans' opinion being taken for truth. For no other reason than that they are considered the top source and no other source could possibly be believable. That sounds more like a usurping of the original author's ownership of the story and the world they created than a solid scientific theoretical basis for research and discussion.

Even Brandon nor Harriet will be able to think up the real truth of things that RJ would have put in place. And I think we can agree that they, above and beyond anyone else, have the highest level of insider knowledge possible. We know this because RJ often included things in the story from which he said that Harriet wasn't aware of it and it was a surprise even to her. It is reasonable to assume he would have had many other such moments if he were to continue writing after the ending of the book. He was deliciously devious that way.

So with this in mind, I ask again: what's the point in theorizing after the end?

I think there is a very good chance Brandon will eventually do the outrigger novels RJ was planning on doing. As such, I do not expect MoL to "wrap things up" as much as ending the series the way Tolkien ended LotRs. Brandon will go back to his own stuff for a year or 3, but Harriet seems like a person who loved her husband's passion as much as he did... we will see more, in my opinion. But I do not expect her to allow anyone besides Brandon to do it, for the record.

I also expect Dragonmount to go crazy on the topic of "What was not answered" for at least a year or 2. Hopefully, by then, we will have word Brandon will be once again dusting off WoT's 100,000 pages of information to tell us more.

Welp, that's probably where I'll be. Terrorizing them with my Sansa love (Kidding! Kidding!).

Brilliant.

I've been thinking about it as well. I might be able to stay interested in the forums for some time, but after a year or two of reading theories on what really happened.. I don't think I can keep that up all life :p

Welp, that's probably where I'll be. Terrorizing them with my Sansa love (Kidding! Kidding!). Knowing GRRM, that'll be another 60 years of theorizing and another new author to finish it....

Ace Kael, that was pretty solid.

On a more serious note it is pretty impressive over there. I don't participate all that often but spend a good deal of time reading. I've come across a few things I didn't catch on any of my go throughs. The cool think about aSoIaF is that there are deep unsolved core mysteries that the entire story still hinges on. I would read DwD and then check it out...

Like another told (and like others implied), there would still be things to theorize about.

And a portion of those things would be events yet to happen.

Another portion being events that happened off-screen during the series.

Another portion being events of the past.

And the nature of various people/creatures/items/etc could also be theorized about.

Also, the "why" and the "how" of various events, sometimes also the "who"; and the who/what/when/where of prophecy fulfillment.

"theorizing for the sake of theorizing" would not be over at the end of the series.

Guest arellspencer

I wish to write another Wheel of time story. A short.

Since reading the WOT series at least ten times over the years waiting for each new novel,

I believe that; as I am a writer of short stories already, I believe this could be done. Seems like fun.

It's simple really. Each character has a "backstory". Complete in every way. Set the story in 17th century anywhere, oh yeah; "with Magic"!

HAil YEAH!

I ain't really worried aboot me kneecaps.

Thanks for lettin me share.

DM :uno:

Archived