DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lives 2 Mafia [Nemo Edition] - The Town has dragged to a victory

ed2funy

Hm, no new posts...where is everyone? Had to fly on my last post, so I cut myself short.

Also I dont think that was a scum slip with "good be in the mafia"

It's way to blunt. Not a slip but maybe a cleverly laid wifom?

*breaks brain*

Are you talking about my "It feels good to be back in teh mafia" quote? I'm pretty sure I cleared it up that I was referring to the game Mafia. Did you just miss it?

Still waiting on a response from Ley, about his reasoning on me to vote, but right now my suspicions go as follows:

1)Kate. Yeah, partially what Wombat and Talmanes said, but also her reasoning on voting me. Because of a joke and then a statement that wasn't even relevant. Even misinterpreted, it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

2)Leyrann? There was the early vote on Kathleen. (I think?) Still waiting to hear about his vote on me.

Others: Player for the above and Talmanes for saying I haven't taken the game seriously. Seriously? (:laugh:)

*feels like all his suspicions are OMGUS >.<*

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vote Count:

Player (1) - Ama

Red (1) - Jack

Kathleen (1) - Nyn,

Amega (1) - Ishmael

Arlow (2) - Kathleen, Key

Nyn (2) - Locke, Piano

Wombat (1) - Amega

Locke (4) - Ley, Kate, Tal, Wombat

Not voting: Red, Christine, Arlow

Deadline:

Friday, Aug 26, 2000 East Coast Australia Time.

9 to Lynch, 10 to Quick Lynch

*starts sharpening some sticks to prod people with*

Where has everyone gone. It is to quiet in here.

*goes off to poke people back into the game*

Day 1 info can be very useful. I have caught scum on Day 1 several times. Trivializing Day 1 as random and meaningless is scummy because it discourages scumhunting activity. The sooner we start hunting scum, the better for the town.

Okay...so you're being serious...

In the handful of games I have played, only once has a mafia member been lynched and that was because she said something about there being a certain number of people in the mafia.

What I said was:

I always hate getting a mafia game rolling on D1. (I completely do. It is my least favorite phase of the game. Am I allowed to make that admission?) There's pretty much nothing to go on. (When I posted that, there really was nothing to go on...no one I felt comfortable lynching.) I'll keep my vote where it is until I see something more sparkly. (Because there isn't much of anything to go on, in my opinion, I will keep my vote where it is. I don't like doing the whole Vote, Unvote, Vote, Unvote over and over and I don't like sitting around with no vote in. I will change my vote when I have good reason to.)

I completely agree that the more quickly we begin hunting mafia, the better...I just find that a difficult thing to do on Day 1. Maybe you're more experienced than me, I don't know...I just know that Day 1 isn't my favorite.

Okay, Day One is ultra important. If we don't take Day One seriously, then we can't take Day Two seriously either. Yeah, we'll try to nail a scum if we can, however on Day One, the goal is more to set the scene so we can nail them in the future. What we want to do is create a lot of game discussion and then either, a) Lynch someone who has seemed rather scummy or b) Lynch someone in the center of the controversy so as to provide information to go off of the next day. If we just sit back Day One, then we'll have nothing to go off of the next day.

This seemed to me, Kate playing the Newbie Card a bit. I don't know how new she is, but it bothered me mainly because of the following:

(Also Locke here comments on how super serious day one is, yet wasn't taking it very seriously at all, by both the joking, and by 'not paying attention'.)

Point is, if you get discussion going, people are bound to make those kind of slips. Like you did. Semantics and attitude are two things I look at a lot on Day 1.

I made a slip?

I'm genuinely trying to get better at this game. The impression I've picked up on so far is that Day 1 is a bunch of joke votes that consolidates on a lynch when crunched for time.

I'll do my best to look harder on D1 from now on, then.

I really don't like Locke's "joke" admission that he is mafia. That is the one thing in mafia I come to dislike more than anything else. Nothing seems more suspicious than someone making a "so outrageous, he can't possibly be mafia" kind of statement.

Second play of the Newbie Card.

Leyrann, what is your reasoning behind that?

(As a good rule of thumb, providing your own reasoning for votes is a good idea. Otherwise, people tend to think of the worse possible reason of why you voted the way you did.)

Now dropping the Newbie Card and picking up the Helper Card. Now was what she said here valid? Yeah. The thing is, too much Newbie Card looks scummy to me anyway, but when you add in the Helper Card as well, well that's when I start to be less trusting of the Newbie Card as a defense.

I would be happy to vote either one of these at this point, as I feel what I have said is plenty for day one.

However, since Locke has more votes, and neither have many anyway, I'll place my vote on him for now VOTE LOCKE. I would be perfectly willing to switch my vote to Kate if necessary.

My note on Day 1: I've never been one to do joke votes on day one. I know it is less serious than the other days, but in my opinion it is one of the more important times to really look at what people say. That's because, simply put: we usually don't have a lot to go on. If we all joke around and don't take it seriously, then we have nothing. Not a lot is a lot better than nothing.

First, this is my 5th game. Although, one of those games I was brought in as a replacement halfway through Day 1 and then I was lynched the next day in the night phase. So, there have been four games I legitimately played in (three of which, I am currently playing). You can make of that what you wish in regards to my newbieness.

I will say that I am legitimately trying to get better at this game. I enjoy it and want to be able to play a game without being called out for some mistake and then called out again for defending my mistake (although, in this case, I don't think I've done anything to warrant the attention it got.)

Your notes on Day 1 mirror some of the same things I say. I never said to not do any thinking on Day 1. I expressed my opinion that I do not like Day 1 because there isn't much to go on. I find scumhunting difficult on Day One and therefore, I do not like it compared to the other days.

And, I know from personal experience that it isn't exactly the most fun thing to have people jump on you for making a "newbie mistake." I'm not saying I completely dislike it--because I do learn from it--but that doesn't make it particularly fun. I have figured out by now that it is a good idea to give some reasons for your vote, so I kindly passed on that knowledge to someone I know is completely new.

Hm, no new posts...where is everyone? Had to fly on my last post, so I cut myself short.

*breaks brain*

Are you talking about my "It feels good to be back in teh mafia" quote? I'm pretty sure I cleared it up that I was referring to the game Mafia. Did you just miss it?

Still waiting on a response from Ley, about his reasoning on me to vote, but right now my suspicions go as follows:

1)Kate. Yeah, partially what Wombat and Talmanes said, but also her reasoning on voting me. Because of a joke and then a statement that wasn't even relevant. Even misinterpreted, it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

I explained already that I dislike jokes like that. It only WIFOMs the town and that is a big deal to me. In the four games I've played in, three times that line of "joking" has happened...twice the person was mafia and survived a long time after their joke. Therefore, based on that experience, I feel no shame in voting someone who jokes about being mafia. Maybe your second thing was just a typo or whatever, but it just kind of put the cherry on top for me.

I still think Kate is scummier but I'd like to get something resembling a train.

I don't like this. I certainly do not want to be lynched, but not voting for the person that seems to be the most suspicious to you just seems wrong. For calling me out for "trivializing" day one for sharing my person opinion of D1, and now this... it pings on my radar.

Kate - just because you're a newbie doesn't mean that you have to say it every other post. Saying it once (maybe twice) and people generally understand. I don't know if I even used it outside of the first three or so I was in, unless someone else pointed it out and I needed to elaborate.

That being said, I don't really find Kate or Locke to be that scummy.

I try to avoid it, but Wombat made a claim about something occurring "several of times" that I wanted to address (but, of course, I can't say I've seen anything happen "several of times") and then Talmanes called me out for trying to use the "newbie card." At that point, I felt I had to directly address it.

Is there anyone pinging on your radar?

Locke wants me to explain my vote more, so here it is:

First, you wanted to get the game going, and then you said "here is the first attempt at scumfinding", like you didn't expect it. I wouldn't have seen it if Kathleen didn't point at it, but I think that's because this is my first game. And because my vote at Kathleen was a joke vote (I thought really everyone did that), decided to vote you. Somewhat later, we had your joke about "being back in the mafia" and, also something that is mentioned multiple times already, your "being messed up". You are acting most scummy to me now, but I must say that Wombat (I still think Kate is scummier but I'd like to get something resembling a train) and Talmanes (However, since Locke has more votes, and neither have many anyway, I'll place my vote on him for now VOTE LOCKE) also act suspicious.

VOTE KATE

she's increasingly scummier and i don't like her flining the "newbie" card. kate you've been in enough games to not be considered a newbie sweetie and you using that as a defense is scummy imo.

i'm willing to change to Kath or Locke becuase those two are scummy as well.

Aww Red, its good to play with you again!

I'm not really sure where to go with my vote right now. I have it on Arlow for reasons I outlined earlier. I'm on the fence with Locke, again for reasons I said. Ley and Kate are picking up some notice but I think its just new player awkwardness. Jumping the vote around as soon as someone is questioned, playing the newbie card over and over. The thing is yes these can be scum tactics but they can be new players learning how to play. With day one, and my not having played with many of the active people here before I'm really not sure where to go.

Okay, for some reason this still needs to be addressed.

Feels good to be back in teh Mafia. :laugh:

I just got that he meant the game mafia. That's a pretty UNsubtle hint if not.

^This. My first mafia game in awhile.

When I made that comment, I was saying that it feels good to be playing the game mafia again. If I had meant the mafia as in scum, it wouldn't have even made grammatical or contextual sense. But regardless, I'll accept misinterpreting it the first time, but for you to still be going on about that after I explained it? Either you're be deliberately obstinate in an attempt to get me lynched, (scum) or you missed it. But even if you did, what then did you think I was talking about when I responded to Player?

I still think Kate is scummier but I'd like to get something resembling a train.

unvote

Vote: Locke

Still a bit early, but I see where you're coming from.

I explained already that I dislike jokes like that. It only WIFOMs the town and that is a big deal to me. In the four games I've played in, three times that line of "joking" has happened...twice the person was mafia and survived a long time after their joke. Therefore, based on that experience, I feel no shame in voting someone who jokes about being mafia. Maybe your second thing was just a typo or whatever, but it just kind of put the cherry on top for me.

(See above post.) First time was a joke. By definition, a joke is something not to be taken seriously. If I hadn't been trying to be funny, then maybe, but not the case here. Bolded: So you're not sure about what I meant, but you are sure about voting me because of it?

Leyrann's post I'll break into 3 parts:

First, you wanted to get the game going, and then you said "here is the first attempt at scumfinding", like you didn't expect it.

Um....what? Like I didn't expect? I wasn't expecting or not expecting anything. I don't, a) get how you get that, or b) see how it's relevant to my scuminess.

Somewhat later, we had your joke about "being back in the mafia"

(See above post) My first thought here is that you're leeching thoughts from Kate. I mean, even assuming you correctly (incorrectly) misinterpret me, I don't see how that means much from your point of view. And apparently you missed my explanation too....hm....

and, also something that is mentioned multiple times already, your "being messed up"

So in essence, you're saying I'm mafia because I made a mistake.

Unvote. Vote Kate.

Also, noting Key's staying out of it.

You guys have a tough vote ahead of you. I admit, if I was one of you, I'd probably vote for me. Even knowing my alignment, it may be more beneficial for the Town to have it revealed.

*breaks brain*

Player? Who do you mean?

Sorry, but I just want to know what's going on.

See above quote.

Locke, I voted you because what Kathleen said. I thought she was very right. I mean, I had a joke vote. You were the first who was looking like Mafia for me. And then what other people also said... I don't quote everything, because it's just way too much work, and those things also made you look scummy. Maybe I'm wrong, and are two or all three of them Mafia that want to lynch you, but from their posts, I get the feeling that you are scummy. And you yourself admit that you would maybe vote for yourself too. You also know you look scummy. What's wrong with voting someone who looks scummy? If you can convince me you are a Townie, I would unvote you, and vote Wombat or Talmanes, as I said earlier.

Translation:

Locke, I voted you because you were scummy and other people said you were scummy. I thought they were right when they said you were scummy I don't give specific reasons because it's just way too much work, and those things also made you look scummy. Maybe I'm wrong, but from their posts, I get the feeling that you are scummy. You also know you look scummy. What's wrong with voting someone who looks scummy? If you weren't scummy, I would unvote you, but you're scummy.

Pardon the sarcasm, but it's not far off. Also, as for bolded, you actually said that part, and you're misinterpreting me there. When I said I thought I'd make a good lynch it wasn't because I think I've been acting scummy (I actually think I've played a pretty clean game, except for that early screw up with the vote count), but because the rest of the Town knowing my allignment would give A LOT of information for scumhunting in the following days.

Ley when someone dies the mods will tell us the name of their character, what role (if any) they had, and what alignment they are (town or mafia).

Before you die you can say what you want. You can claim to be any character, have any role and be any alignment. But the truth will be known when you die.

First time was a joke.

Apparently not a good one :wink:.

Also, noting Key's staying out of it.

Noting that you noted that I was/am staying out of it *nods*.

Even knowing my alignment, it may be more beneficial for the Town to have it revealed.

Que?

I'm conflicted because upon reading the latest posts Locke just doesn't come off scummy to me at all. Kate does mildly. But nothing that makes me go all 'AH! You scummy worm!'. If I had to choose between the two, though, I'd go for Kate. But this merits a little more thought and since the deadline is growing near I will make my decision on who I'm going to switch my vote to by tomorrow.

Nyn

I don't think defending myself much more is going to do anything for Town as we have hashed it out over and again. I am keeping my vote on Locke, although I still dislike Wombat who I felt made a mountain out of a molehill of my "I dislike Day 1" post (and completely ignored when Talmanes said similar sentiments about the lack of things to go on Day 1.)

If I am lynched, the only thing the coroner's report will tell you is that you all made a mistake and/or were misled by mafia trying to have me lynched. I am Town.

Archived