DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aviendha's new talent

grump

Just as things are getting interesting she has to go away, but I wonder if the longrange communication stuff she identified will come in handy later, and a knife that will hide you from the DO, it was mentioned when they did the very first sort that she glommed on to it.

well it was interesting to me!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinking about the Unravelling talent aviendha has. What the hell actually is it? she just undos weaves and it blows up! after it blows ppl that can channel can't.... so is this gonna be a big thing at TG or what? if she starts doing that then the only way to win TG is through steel on steel fighting....much more entertaining then just say, Rand picks up callandor and wipes out millions of trollocs.

I like Avy's new talent, but I don't understand how we didn't know about it until NOW! Like you can tell she's using it in PoD, but where was it in FoH when they had the big wagons of angreals? I don't know, seems like it was added to late for me. But I do believe we'll get a lot more of it in the final book. That way he doesn't have to write books and books and books to figure out what some angreal do that we don't know about yet.

Aviendha talks about learning it from and practicing with the Wise Ones, and probably had just learned (or at least, had just mastered) it by the time she left Cairhien with Mat when he went after Egwene and she needed to do her toh thing with Elayne. So, she had not learned (or at least, had not mastered) it by the end of The Fires of Heaven, when she encountered Lanfear at the docks.

Also, explosions and the like are caused by failing to Unweave something, not by success. And the result of a failed Unweaving is completely unpredictable ... so its use as a weapon would be very limited, because you never know what it will do, and have no way to target it. To quote:

"You do not understand, Elayne" Aviendha gestured toward the center of the meadow, where the gateway had been. "That could have been no more than a flash of light, or even less. You cannot tell until it happens. Is a flash of light worth the risk of burning out yourself and every woman closer to you than a hundred paces or more?"

(The Path of Daggers, chapter 6 Threads, p.153)

Not very good, tactically.

Some thing else occurred to me as I was dropping off to sleep last night. Elayne is the one who has copyed the dream ring and such. I wonder if the library they identified has any books that might help her to perfect that talent

Some thing else occurred to me as I was dropping off to sleep last night. Elayne is the one who has copyed the dream ring and such. I wonder if the library they identified has any books that might help her to perfect that talent

I've wondered that myself. Personally I see Egwene confiscating it and having the Brown Ajah translate it.

• Community Administrator

Hmm, well, we know people can channel at long ranges using a telescope right? SO Theoretically, Elayne could start a tiny gateway *like 1mm x 1mm* at the center of a ring of enemies then start unravveling it usuccesfully.. ANd she could have teh start and the end points being at two enemy locations..... then Kaboom, or just a 'wtf was that?'

And if it just made a flash of light and nothing else? A waste of energy and a revelation of her presense.

Thats true, but just think of the devisation, the chaos! :P

Though theres always the chance it would create a path of light followed by a spot light directly on top of the channeler, about just as likely as it could create a wave of balefire. :P

Well, no one ever said the Aes Sedia were genius's right? Why not put a few of there cannon fodder for the riskayier moves? :P

Though, with the new Death Gates, and the lady fingers of firey death... I doubt that tactic would hold much merrit.. Though had lewis therin not toke control of rand.. For all we know, the random gate of destruction, could be used as a weapon. And if I'm not mistake. The more complex the weave, the more likely hood it could turn into a nuke. Or a Duck.

I looked at her being able to unweave the thread as something the Aiel take for granted.

Aviehnda basically says as much herself.

It's kind of like how the Windfinders generally have much thicker weaves then a typical Aes Sedai.

The amount of the things that Aes Sedai know and take for granted is only eclipsed by the things they don't know and SHOULDN'T be taking for granted.

You mean kind of like the WHITE TOWER thinkin that with just controling rand they have enough power to defeat the DO at TG. I think they lose sight (if they ever had it) that rand and his people are just lining up more good guys to fight for the light That and rediscovering old ways that will help as well as finding new ones

ah right....so it was by mistake that aviendha blew that thing up? well i think its a pretty awesome mistake! Its not just the devastation that it causes yeah its how ppl can't channel there afterwards...(or am i totally mixing things up?)

hmm...I remember Moridin watching avi doing the unweaving and saying how barbarians come up with pretty sick stuff even he doesn't know how to do. Soooo i'm guessing there will be some pretty big implications on avi/elayne/egwene/nynaeve's new talents yeah? if even the forsaken don't know how something is done, its gotta be good!

ooooooooooo deathgates.....thats sick! what if it wasn't a trolloc or mydral thing that went through but some random person? they'll be like...wtf!where the hell am i!? or glugluglugluglugg- sent to the bottm of an ocean.

sweeeeeeeeeet

Its not just the devastation that it causes yeah its how ppl can't channel there afterwards...(or am i totally mixing things up?)

i'm afraid you are.it was the over stressing of the bowl of winds that caused the weirdness with the power,and they could still channel,just with more difficulty.

Some of you are confusing talents, and people.

The talent Aviendha displays is the ability to identify what ter'angreals do. Obviously this is an incredible boon, what with the hundreds upon hundreds that are locked away in the tower alone because no one knows what they do.

Aviendha's unraveling a weave isn't a talent, only something that she learned. In the AOL it was considered impossible to unravel a weave (thus Moridin's surprise when he watches her unravel the gateway in the Tarisan Palace). We learn from Elayne that one of the first things they are taught in the tower is to never try and unravel a weave because it's impossible and dangerous, so obviously current Aes Sedai have the same outlook (Plus Merilille/Sareitha/Carene/Vandene/Adelas's reactions to her doing so). The Wise Ones however will teach anyone to do it, and as Aviendha says some can do it to a greater degree and some to a lesser, but anyone can learn. It wasn't that she was taught because she has a talent with reading residues.

The exploding gateway wasn't Aviendha at all, it was Elayne. Elayne made the gateway from the Kin's Farm to Caemlyn. She decided to unravel the weave after: A) realizing it was possible, and B) Aviendha's revelation of the ability to read residues. She was thinking that it was possible one of the Seanchan damane could also, and was protecting the weave for a gateway. However Elayne had never tried to unravel a weave before, and initially tried it with a very complex weave and therefore failed. Even Aviendha failed her first several attempts, and that was with a simple weave of air. The gateway collapsed into a random weave.... apparently the weave for a very very large explosion.

Also as someone else noted the difficulty in channeling in the area was because of them way overstressing what the bowl of winds was designed to do, not because of the collapsed gateway weave. As for as the AOL'ers were concerned a single Ter'angreal shouldn't have been able to effect the weather of the entire continent..... kind of like using a bike pump to inflate a hot air balloon. Note that both men and women had trouble channeling in that area, not just women.

icspots, that was just about the clearest, most well organized explanation I seen on these boards in months! Well done!

(You do realize though, that we have to flog you in the virtual public square now for offering an opinion based on solid facts and not wild, unsupported speculation. That's just how it's done around here...) :D

There still seems to be some confusion.

Several things played a part in the unreliability of the Power in that area. The Bowl of Winds played a part. The Power being expended by the damane during the near simultaneous attack on Ebou Dar played a part.

But the exploding gateway played the biggest part.

After they used the Bowl and then noticed all the Power being expended in Ebou Dar, they were still easily able to dispatch the first scouting raken that had been sent to investigate all the Power they'd been expending. Then, exhausted as she was, Elayne was still able to reliably make the Gateway to Andor. It wasn't until the damane shielded an utterly spent Elayne in that field in Andor that the Gateway collapsed explosively, and it wasn't until after that explosion that the Power became unreliable in the vicinity of the farm outside Ebou Dar.

Archived