DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Belgariad

TheBeerPatriot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked both the Belgariad and the Mallorean, even though they are much "simpler" that WoT. However I think the books about Sparhawk (Elenium and Tamuli?) are the beest of the Edding books. After that it went downhill and the last series (Elder gods, younger gods?) I left without finishing it. It was too much same old, same old, like he (they) were trying to milk the last drops out of their ideas.

While I enjoyed the Belgariad books and the ones with Greyhawk was it? I forget the names?

Sparhawk :)

The Elenium was my first introduction to the Fantasy Genre and Eddings will always be one of my favourite authors. I even came |-| that close to calling my daughter Ehlana - but kids are cruel and spell it backwards....

I moved to the Belgariad and Mallorean from there and then onto R E Fiest. I have read the covers off my copy of Magician - i so need to get a new copy LOL I do much prefer his earlier work and the series he did with Janny Wurts to the later novels.

• 3 months later...

The Belgariad is decidedly one of my favorite series. Loved it as a teenager/young adult, and still re-read it every year or so. It's like meeting and old friend; sure you know them so well nothing's really new but its good to be with them anyway. You don't need an online encyclopedia to keep track of everything. The Mallorean is ok, I admit i re-read it last year and found I liked it better than I did the first time I read it. If for nothing else, Garion and Ce'nedra's relationship feels more real than Rand's (well except maybe Min..Avi too I guess, Elayne is the one who is most..fake seeming).

I think the best way that I can describe it (Belgariad) is that it's a relaxing read. It's fairly simplistic in the number of characters, and plot. So you don't have to think a lot about it, but it's still entertaining.

I'm also a fan of the Elenium and Tamuli (also Eddings).

• 9 months later...

hey the french mastiff "Dog De Bourdeaux" rocks!!! their great dogs *grins*

well i'm always looking for new series to pick up; so i'll have to earmark this series for a future read. by much depth, are you guys talking world building wise, or character developement wise?? lack of in depth world building i fine for me; but lack of character depth, or even too many carbon copied characters i can't do.

It is very one-dimensional. You know who the secret hero is basically from the beginning of the series, even though he does not. There is no deception, no subtlety, no surprises no Red Weddings (burn in Hell Walder Frey!) and we see the plot and quest from the beginning. Despite that, everyone seems to love the series and though you know what the author is going to do, you still read it to see him do it. In fact, that may mean its far more well-written than we've thought. How many other authors could entertain by giving you exactly what you expect? The Mallorean repeats the technique, but adds the dimension of this whole universe being governed by duelling Prophecies, Prophecies that are alive, and even more powerful than the gods.

Silk's alright, but Garion has to be the best character of them all, bar none. The Mallorean didn't suck. The Elenium, that sucked. I really liked it in the Mallorean when Belgarath came and chewed Garion out for using the weather to stop Mandorallen's war. Here he is the most powerful king in the world, the most powerful sorceror in the world, with an object that could readily destroy the universe, and he's sitting there letting his grandfather rip him a new one. Granted, he almost caused an ice age, but still....

Okay, Elenium and Tamuli could be viewed as entertaining if you came on them first. I came on them last. Bought them as they were published infact, so when I say they suck, its because I wanted something new from Eddings. He used the same old formula in both series. I read every one of them, but it was too predictable, and while Sparhawk was alright, you didn't attach to him like Belgarion. Then that whole man-with -no-destiny-he's-actually-a-.....I won't finish that sentence...thing. Read them all, and I got rid of them. But I still have every book of the Belgariad and the Mallorean.

Another decent series is The General by S.M. Stirling and David Drake. It's military science fiction though, so it is not as light of a read.

• 1 month later...

The Belgariad / Malloreon was the first fantasy I ever read, back in 8th grade. I've always loved it, it's just fun and entertaining. I actually just started to re-read it recently for the hell of it. Highly recommended if you like high fantasy... and the best part is that it's complete, no waiting!

Oh yeah, compared to other fantasy series, it's really light, easy reading. Totally predictable and there's hardly any tension at all, the reader knows exactly what's going on and what's going to happen at all times. But it's still really funny and a lot of fun to read. It's always nice to see the heroes completely stomping through the villians and overpowering through every obstacle. I mean, three of the main heroes are practically demigods. And in the Mallorean, five of them are. The bad guys never have a chance. Tension-filled? Not at all, but the laughs never stop, and the characters are actually pretty well fleshed-out. I really liked most all of them, with the exception of Relg.

Wow....I expected a number of diatribes about the poor quality of the Belgariad/Mallorean and am pleasantly surprised. I first read these about 20 years ago or so and they weren't my first foray into fantasy and I loved them. I recognize the quality and depth aren't what other books have but I have a soft-spot in my heart for them. I recently reread the Belgariad and it was like seeing an old friend. Cheers!

This is a funny time to see this thread, I needed something in the last month to read something before i started my re-read of WOT(cause gotta do that before the final book comes out), This was my first fantasy series i ever read, and I always thought its a great way to start off, something to recommend to people if they have never read fantasy series before. I loved it cause it was simple, and very easy to read. A really feel good type book where everyone wins(except Toth of course but we all need to make sacrifices).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest belgarion

I've been looking for info into the WoT series, so I ended up here and saw this post.

I happen to be reading the Belgariad, and it's one of my favorite series--no matter the genre--ever. EVER.

While Eddings doesn't flesh things as much as some of us epic fantasy readers may be used to, he doesn't make the reader sift through 500+ pages to receive the message. Yes, the characters almost always win and you know what's going to happen, but within that, there's so many interesting philosophical tidbits/positive worldview quips that just make you smile ("Always do the very best job you can..." from Durnik, Garion's comment to Lelldorin regarding serfs/poverty, and numerous others). I'm not religious, but there's a very Christian message weaved throughout the entire series that makes this a very "feel good" story with a very positive message.

The thing I like best about this series is just how simple it is, and Eddings makes another thing clear: It's OK to laugh!

Amazing books. Light reads that will stick with you long after you finish them.

Oh, these books. I read them when I was 12, first sort of 'grownup' fantasy I'd ever read, except the Lord of the Rings (which my dad had given me the previous year and I think I read 5 times during that year alone). I enjoyed them very much and even reread a couple of times. The books definitely have their flaws, but I still love the heck out of them. I made all of my middle school friends read them, and my brother too. :D

I've been thinking of rereading them again, just because they're so much fun, and for the nostalgia, I guess. They made me happy, and I've got very fond memories of those books.

• 1 month later...

I loved these books when I was a kid. The thing that still stands out to me is Edding's sense of humor, which was spot on. I think The Belgariad is a great series to give a kid. They're a lot of fun and they're great for building up the mental muscles (if you will) necessary to read more challenging and complex novels.

I first read the Belgariad when I was about 10. It was not only my first fantasy, but were the books that made me WANT to read. They opened a whole new world for a young girl. They led me to Ray Fiest and from there to RJ and beyond. (It did help that I spoke to David on the phone when I was like 13 because my dad was an editor for some fantasy mag. He was insanely nice to a bubbly over excited teen.) I still have all the original (british editions too, if you can believe it) books, one David even sent to that over excited teen, signed and dated. I think it is 'The Ruby Knight' from the Sparhawk series. I have had to replace my paperback copies a lot though,

Regardless, I re-read these every year or so. They may not be on par with WOT or other fantasies, but man, it is always like visiting long time friends. They make me happy, and tell a story I enjoy. When my son reaches an age I think he's ready, I'll put pawn in his hand, and open up his world, just as my Dad opened mine!

Edit: for my terrible spelling

Archived