DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Krakalakachkn

• Community Administrator

It's all pretty unnecessary though

Just for bragging rights

Sure, but magic is pretty underpowered compared to melee withoutt uber-chanting it. :wink:

Course, that still doesn't compare to melee and blacksmithing enchants... (the disparity only increases)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wanted to play through an elder scrolls game with roleplaying elements

by which I mean putting arbitrary constraints on myself to make the game more interesting

like maybe being a conjurer and using only conjuration type magic to fight

Aye, I know tha methodology of playing.

Though its tough in the elderscrolls games, because even though they make it possible to play anyway you want to, they don't necisarrilly make the contet playabe that way. :wink:

I think the hardest part about playing that way is that the game lends itself to being somewhat of a jack of all trades

Even Oblivion did this

being some sort of sword master/spellcaster/theif/charismatic trader/alchemist is the most obvious and easiest way to go through the game

cutting out any of those makes the game at lot harder and if you stick to just one the difficulty is raised a tremendous amount to the point where the game feels just too hard to deal with I think

I've never actually done it like I said but I imagine it would be very difficult even if you chose a generic path like swordsman

Not really.. You see, skilling up a little in everything raises your "level" and makes the enemies you face stronger.

Meaning that when you're 30 spell, 30 sword, 30 thief

you're going to face someone lvl 90

(this is just to help you understand, it's not actually like this)

this means that you have a rather though time trying to beat him with your spells/attacks/Sneak attacks.

but if you go magic lvl 90, sword level 0 and thief lvl 0

you will still face a enemy at lvl 90, but you'll have ALOT stronger magical attacks.

Which is why, if you level up your blacks mithing, speechcraft, enchanting, and alchemy all the way to 100, your pretty much gimping yourself out in the rest of the game.

The only real way for them to fix this disparity in future games, is to have a seperate level system.

Everything Crafting and non-combat related. (even pick pockets, lock picking, and sneaking would count this way) would go in one Level area. (The non Combat Level)

Then you'd have a combatent level. Based on all your weaponry, defensive, magics, ect skills.

Enemies would scale based semi-based around both stats.

If you have a combat level of 5, and a non-combat level of 50, combat wise, you'd face mobs that were around say, level 10, instead of 50. And vice versa. (since non-combat can help in combat situation, specially sneak, same with crafting towards higher end weaponry.)

Though, Morrowind had, ultimatley the best use of the level scaling system.

Various areas had a set level, and it was entirely possible to out level those areas. Others, would have a set minimum level, that you really wouldn't want to access until you were able to actually compete against them. (combative wise)

There were some mobs that scaled via your level, but not many.

Ulitimately something bethsofts lost touch on, is the fact that people like to feel a sense of progress, and being able to go to some places, and feel like a god amongst ants. And other areas, be quickly shot down. They really need to focus more on an open-world with various level areas. Aka, in skyrim, the central skyrim would range from level 1-20. in a semi-ring around it, before you get to the borders, but before your in the central skyrim it would go from 20-40. The outter-borders of Skyrim, would range from 40-120ish.

All dungeons would level scale with a cap, based on which region it falls under.

Thusly, you'd have areas where you are more poweful, and shows how much you've progressed, and areas where you see you need to progress more.

One of the easiest ways to do this?

Closer to civilization, the weaker the mobs. Further away? The stronger.

Though, Morrowind had, ultimatley the best use of the level scaling system.

Various areas had a set level, and it was entirely possible to out level those areas. Others, would have a set minimum level, that you really wouldn't want to access until you were able to actually compete against them. (combative wise)

There were some mobs that scaled via your level, but not many.

Ulitimately something bethsofts lost touch on, is the fact that people like to feel a sense of progress, and being able to go to some places, and feel like a god amongst ants. And other areas, be quickly shot down. They really need to focus more on an open-world with various level areas. Aka, in skyrim, the central skyrim would range from level 1-20. in a semi-ring around it, before you get to the borders, but before your in the central skyrim it would go from 20-40. The outter-borders of Skyrim, would range from 40-120ish.

All dungeons would level scale with a cap, based on which region it falls under.

Thusly, you'd have areas where you are more poweful, and shows how much you've progressed, and areas where you see you need to progress more.

One of the easiest ways to do this?

Closer to civilization, the weaker the mobs. Further away? The stronger.

This

I remember first playing Morrowind and had no idea what kind of game it was

I was following a road and then I saw an area that looked interesting so I left the road to go check it out

When I got there some kind of demon (I'm guessing it was a daedra) attacked me and I died instantly

I was like wtf I didn't even have a chance

Repeat that same scenario maybe 5-10 times and then I decided you know what?

I'm just going to stick to the road where it's relatively safe until I can level up

Once I hit level 5ish I really started exploring Morrowind and it was awesome

I was still getting killed every once in awhile if I wasn't careful but I could finally hold my own and explore what the game had to offer

I never beat Morrowind but I played it probably close to 1000 hours

Oblivion on the other hand I think I beat in 50-100 and Skyrim while I spent ~100 playing I regret not just powering through the game in like 20 and never playing it again

Edit: My point is that level scaling makes the game a LOT easier and less realistic IMO

I should be able to walk up on some demon that's going to one shot kill me at level 1

That gives me a goal and tells me I need to level more

When I can beat him it's progress

The issue is I think that Bethesda wants to make the game a more casual game so more people will buy and enjoy it

That's exactly what happens to all my favorite franchises :(

If in the next game they could add an option whether you want level scaling or level locked areas I think it would be a lot more enjoyable for everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGritiUTSig&feature=g-u-u

First of all this is an extremely odd piece of DLC

It's like merging Elder Scrolls with Minecraft or The Sims

nope, i've heard that morrowind had something similar

not as official DLC, player made mods? Yea.

That said, this was one of the features they were originally planning on having ingame as it launched. (Obviously it was taken out to be sold as DLC.)

With no plot/content, If this sells for over $5 i'll be sorely disapointed. (I can see them selling it for $30...)

Morrowinds expansions (DLC didn't really exist back then) were Tribunal which added the city of Mournhold and Bloodmoon which added the island of Solstheim

Both were jam packed with quests and places to explore

Yar, but I was referring to the ability to create a house ingame, and have a family which is new to the series, outside of player-mademods. (something console doesn't get)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Good thing about the PC version.

its not to hard to start over again, while maintaining everything you've already done.

Allows for easy 'respeccing' talents and all that fun stuff to, without losing progress. :tongue:

Starting over completely from scratch did rather suck, but then again most of the time I restarted was because I wanted to work a completely new character angle.

Probably one of the funnest builds that I tried was a Thor-based character, he was a MONSTER in the earlier parts of the game. I used Destruction(Lightning specifically)/Restoration as far as magic went and then ran around with an enchanted war hammer for the rest.

I too suffer from starting over a lot to try different builds on the console version. But the two mains I use are my 1hander/fire magic/fire breath user and my dual cast pure mage. I love the pure mage build but I hate the control system in selecting spells in this game. Why can't the D-pad just store all my spells. Ugh.

The D-pad controls for spell casting would be pretty awesome. I don't really like having to break gameplay in order to access the Favorites list to switch. I was never really a fan of the pure mage build, I had a hard time staying alive even with the flesh spells. The sword-mage thing worked pretty well though, especially with fire.

I've never done an evil character build... I'm thinking I want to do a cannabalistic orc; maybe use both two-handed with sword&board depending on the situation. Perhaps some necromancy for minions, hmmm...

What quest are you talking about Fire?

Archived