DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Krakalakachkn

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post I made on Reddit about a month ago

One thing I will say about Skyrim is I hated exploring that map. I ******* hated it. Every ******** time I wanted to go to a cave or a fort or whatever it would be on the other side of a ******* mountain. There are too many ******** mountains on that map. I don't care if it fits the theme of the area. I do not think it's fun to either spend an hour walking around the mountain, possibly getting side tracked, or fast traveling and breaking immersion. ***** Skyrim.

Still feel the same

I absolutely hate the map

Almost all the storylines were SHORT and BORING not to mention a metric ****ton of them were glitched

The only thing I enjoyed about Skyrim was the graphics

Maybe it's because I'm an explorer at heart, but I don't mind running places. I love finding all of the nooks and crannies of a game or a real place, as evidenced by the fact that I found every location in Skyrim simply by running everywhere. I amused myself by jumping off mountains and waterfalls as shortcuts to various areas once I had the ethereal shout. I liked Skyrim better than I've liked any game in a very long time. I found that while there were bugs, I could live with them, and that the gameplay and lore were really engrossing. Not to mention how lovely the graphics were.

I know someone who works for the group doing TESO, and I like what I've seen so far. I can't comment much more than that at this point. I'm not saying it will be the next coming of sliced bread, but I like it better than WoW 5.0 or a lot of other things currently out there. I'll probably enjoy TESO when it comes out.

Most people I know have stopped playing Skyrim. Myself, I'm stuck on a mountain. To go straight ahead and to the right, I get attacked by a vampire and her dog plus some dude that she brings back from the dead. To the left, it appears to be a mage guild of some sort. I took all of the ones in the front out but once I got inside I got jumped. To turn around is not an option for that's where I came from and the quest is forward. I've been stuck there since maybe January and have since moved on to other games. With this expansion coming out, I might go back and play it again but I'm not sure. I think I'll just wait for the GOTY Edition and then I'll play it either where I am now or restart. I've got maybe ten hours in but in Skyrim time that isn't much.

Also, I hated Oblivion. Morrowind is the best IMHO. In fact, I have Morrowind on my laptop and have been known to go back and play it once in awhile. I have Morrowind on my XBox and PC whereas I only played Oblivion at a friends. The game just didn't grab me the way Morrowind did. Skyrim almost replicated it but not quite, though dual-wielding magic never gets old.

• Community Administrator

If your pc's good enough, theres a mod for morrowind out there, that updates the graphics around the board.

it had some hate when it first released (the complier never got authorization from the original modders intitially, second release did.... it might still be up at fileplanet...)

I'm currently working on a combat - mod for Skyrim.. speeds it up a bit, makes it less annoying imo.

I know someone who works for the group doing TESO, and I like what I've seen so far. I can't comment much more than that at this point. I'm not saying it will be the next coming of sliced bread, but I like it better than WoW 5.0 or a lot of other things currently out there. I'll probably enjoy TESO when it comes out.

What is your honest opinion about it's chances of staying subscription based?

I thought TOR was going to do well if not smash WoW and now it's F2P

Honest opinion on staying subscription based? I'm not really sure. It mostly depends on how well the general populace takes to the initial presentation of it. If they do acceptably well (according to their standards - expecting 5 million+ suscribers right off is probably a pipe dream for anyone at this point)

To be bluntly honest, there will never be another WoW. Ever. The only thing keeping WoW afloat at this point is its inertia. Cataclysm would have flopped if it had been released by anyone other than WoW. And, as there will never be another WoW, there will never be a single WoW killer. The only things that can kill WoW are total developmental incompetence and slow attrition. Maybe WoW2, if they ever do that - I hear quiet rumors every so often, nothing substantiated, and then none of that since Cataclysm, so maybe Cata was in effect WoW2 as they gave almost the entire place an upgrade. Anyone looking for a single WoW-killer is bound for disappointment and they probably have rose-colored glasses to boot.

What made WoW so big wasn't that it was so good. Vanilla WoW had some horrid issues - class balance was non-existent, several one-button classes, confused talent trees, horrid pvp design and a number of five-mans that were either grossly too large (Maraudon and BRD come to mind) or so packed with mobs that it was hard to complete the whole thing (Old-school Scholomance, Stratholme and LBRS come to mind here) - but there was nothing better out there and nothing big enough to compete; on top of that WoW made it easy to be a leveler and to play socially and the social aspect and lack of death penalty is where WoW really made hay. The game play in both pvp and raiding is less than scintillating and has been for quite some time and the questing has zero replay value due to how they structured the zones, so that you have to follow the same path through every time.

I really believe we're moving slowly toward having a series of MMO's out there with smaller but stable subscription bases (whether free to play or pay to play) along the lines of LOTRO, Rift and so forth. GW2 will join that mix. And the biggest reason TOR didn't beat WoW? It tried too hard to be WoW, so its selling point is really "Play WoW in space!" I don't want WoW in space. I want something that feels like Star Wars, not like WoW.

TDLr at the botton...I rambled a bit... work does that to me.

Rift = Subscription, first 20? levels free. Its, as far as i'm concerned, the only real competition WoW has.

And one of the reasons Iactually like rift. even though I don't really care at all about the story. (Something I cared a little about in WoW, back from my WC days.) Is simply because of the Devs.

They are awesome.

In 1 year, They gave Rift so many new features, that if you were to compare Vanilla Rift with Vanilla WoW.. they both had about the same amount of Content.

1 Year later?

Rift has reached, not in terms of Content, but Features, Almost exactly what WoW has today.

Addons

Costumes (wow doesn't have that does it?)

Tons of mounts/pets

Events monthly or every 1.5 Months.

Patches weekly.

Content Patches monthly.

3 New End Game Raids.

6 New Raid Rifts

4 New 10 Man Raids

3 new Master Mode Dungeons. (It launched with expert duneons which are = to WoWs master or whatever diffuclty dungeons. The Master Mode? Its one step above that.)

3? New PvP maps

+Escentially a uhh.Altaric Valley conquest map x3 in size PvP area... with 3 factions instead of 2. (You basically choose a faction when you get in, and its not simply horde vs alliance type situaiton, you can play with other horde or alliance, under the new faction.

Alternate Advancement (AA's for EQ players out there. ) called Planar Attunement. Able to progress sideways, insteadof simply through gear.

1 new mini-contenent/island Tons of quests/ect.

Expansion?

Player Housing.

(If you've seen EQ's payer housing, Its on par with that.)

2 new classes (Wow has only really added 2 new classes (monk upcoming)

Top that off. They've litterally tripled the size of the world in the upcoming expansion.

Wow always had kalindor*sp*, and the eastern kingdoms. (I'd say Teleria is about half the size of wow in that, 3/4 after ember island. (this is before the expansion)

The expansion?

I'd say its easilly going to bring the game to about the size of Azeroth + eastern Kingdoms + northrend, and a chunk of outlands. (Not quite the maelstorm zones toss in from cata, hard to judge that in scale... or the newly unlocked southern ends of kalindor..)

And its going to be fairly reasonable to expect them to increase the landmass even further with further content updates. (probably another emberisle 2.0 could easilly bring it on par to WoW pre-Cata in scale. After only 2-3 years in sservice. :wink:)

Anyways. back to how well elderscrolls online will fair?

Probablly not well as a subscription game. (Though, with its following, from vets + new kids it might do significantly better) You can almost garuntee its going to be on the consoles...

Which is going to... cause problems.

Ps3 + 360 + PC simultanoius patching? (else they'd need seperate servers)

This means, slow response time, huge lag time in patches.

People WANT patches in MMOs, even if they are minor, they do love free content update.

Waiting 6 months for a patcht aht gives you 1 dungeon and swings the flavor of the month to another class for... 6 months?

Not fun.

Thats what killed Age of Conan.

WoW? they patch reasonably fast. (Even D3 to some point was patching weekly, mostly to fix bugs. its slowed down obviously but D3 isn't a sub game like WoW.)

But what do Rift & wow have incommon?

Two companies with people who have a background in MMOs, and Online Multiplayer Games.

Blizzard had D1-2, WC1-3, SC1 (would count 2, but that was post wow)

And probably some other games i've never heard of.

They all had multiplayer. So blizzard was at leats aware of issues online games faced, And knew that people loved content updates. And if you are going to force a subscription on them? You gotta provide them support, Bug Fixes, And content updates to keep them going between expansions. (They've actually done this with D2, to an extent, as well as I belive, with Wc3. To an extent)

Rift? Its made by MMO vets.

People from EQ (The BIG MMO before WoW hit the market. If EQ had Blizzards fan-base before it launched? It probably would have exceeded wow in subs.)

SoE in general (EQ/EQ2/Vanguard)

Devs from WoW

Devs from all over the mmo industry.

And while it doesn't have the background that Blizzard has with its games... they at least, are... Multiplayer-orientated companies.

Bethsoft?

Bioware?

No, They are Single Player focused.

They want to release a product, in a near prefect condition. And only have to release patches to fix existing bugs. Not add new content. (Skyrim? They've fixed bugs. no new free content... Pay for DLC for new content, but no free Content. Last time they did that.. was Morrowind)

Bioware? Simlar story... They almost invented DLC for godsakes!

I think Biowares going to learn very soon the reason why they are failing, is becuase they aren't going to be able to provide, the amount of Content that MMO fans are looking for.

If Age of Conan has taught the mmo market anything...

The only way you can get away with releasing new content at a snails pace?

Is to make progression in your game, Not in Hours but in Days, And not in days but in Weeks.

It took my guild. (We were the world First, in Age of Conan) something like 10-11 Months to litterally down the final boss in the game.. Though it should be noted, that boss had two versions. One was the original version, which other guilds had gotten down maybe... a couple of weeks before we first did. Though we were on a race with other guilds, in the USA or the world in general, at downing bosses.

Then they released a different mechanic on that final boss, (at the time) that would make the encounter twice as hard. (For the option of gettign an Uber weapon garunteed upon killing him.) My guild got him down ,and attained fame as getting (argueably) World First kill on him. ;)

11 months, maybe 10, to take out the final vanilla boss in the game.

Thats 10-11 months, that Funcom didn't have to release any new content.. cause no one has beaten the current content!

I want to say.. around 3 months later (people were getting pissed at that point) they finally released the final wing of that end-game raid-dungeon. (I've never been there.. quit due to financial reasons.)

Around the time we first kileld the hard-mode boss fight, they announcedthe expansion... which released like 6 months later. (1.5 years on the market at that point.)

Then went F2P like 6 months later.. .maybe a year.

TDLR:

Single player game companies, are going to have a tough time competing in a subscription based model, with companies that actually have had experience with them.

Thats why Rift/WoW > SWTOR/Ect.

actually, ZeniMax are making it, not bethesda

Zenimax is a publisher, not a Developer.

Anyone under Zenimax, could be tasked with createing it. (most likely Bethsoft.)

Either way, none of Zenimax's developers... are MMO companies as far as I know..

First of all this is an extremely odd piece of DLC

It's like merging Elder Scrolls with Minecraft or The Sims

Secondly it's really odd and kind of dumb that this is the SECOND piece of DLC

Most people who were interested have already played and beat the game and just judging by this trailer they didn't add anything terribly new

I could be wrong and there could be more to the DLC and if there is then ok maybe (I guess?) but if it's just this it's totally not worth buying IMO

Archived