DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Krakalakachkn

I am on the theives guild quest, where I am trying to stop Mercer Grey. I honestly think I was just too excited about this quest and am not at a high enough level. Theres this part where like 10 falmer corner us and at least half of them go after me and then I die. I've been stuck for like a month.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you use a follower to help or are you just solo?

Yeah my pure mage is an evil vampire. I wish there was some dark or blood magic in the game to go along with. I'm still waiting for my bounty to go down in Windhelm. Basically when I'm around there I refuse to help them when a dragon attacks until the bounty is gone. lol

I remember that quest. I usually just let the other two handle most of the Falmer, those things can be pretty strong when you're at low levels. Plus so there's so damn many of them :dry:

I usually don't roll with followers, but I'll summon atronachs when needed but those are only temporary unless you're Conjuration is maxed. I guess you could consider necromancy sort of dark magic.

I've been thinking of a build I want to do where I'd get the Nightingale armor and then use a Summoned Bow. Kind of like a rogue soulreeper type thing... I've never taken enchanting very high but you can take the perk in the Conjuration skill tree where all summons weapons will snatch souls.

Yeah she's a pretty good follower, a conjurer as well so she adds to your party. I never really got too much into the DLCs though, especially with the frequency that they started to come out in.

I've been trying to think of a way to do some WoT characters, but it's hard. I have a few ideas with Rand, but it would likely turn out to be a level 70+ build with all the skills you'd need plus the perks I would want to unlock.

Also, do you have any idea of whether you could enchant clothing instead of armor? I would want to have him running around in some fine clothes instead of armor, definitely more Dragon(Re)born IMO

Lan would be an awesome one too.

In my idea with Rand I kind of used the current storyline of the game and twisted it to fit him... Alduin would be the DO, and all the dragon priests would be the Forsaken. End game would be killing them all, and also "uniting" the land by ending the civil war.

I'd start out using an actual sword so 1H skill, then perhaps after fighting the first dragon at Whiterun he would 'discover' his ability to channel. Destruction(fire/lightning), Restoration(Healing, maybe wards) and then eventually conjuration for the summoned sword which you could buff with the one-handed perks. And enchanting, to make the clothing more resistant to the other elements which would kind of give him that invincible feel

• 2 weeks later...

yes...  My first was an archer/battlemage.  Didnt put a single point into anything other than sneak, archering, or destruction until i couldnt anymore then did enchanting and smithing.  A mod to be able to smith arrows and i was all set ;)

• Community Administrator

I'm fairly fond of 2h Warhammer + Sneak.

Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy with a little in speech/lockpicking.

I just wish there was a mod, that would split non-combat skills away from your leveling, and still give you points to perk the crafting skills out. (as well as speech/lock/ect)

I found destruction to be utterly weak in comparison... But.. thats mostly do to the leveling s ystem....

It doesn't scale past certain levels very well at all. (comparative to melee)

I'm 68 in my game... one shotting Frost Giants. :wink:

(sneak + 2h power attack = game over)

If they could remove the fact, that leveling up smithing/enchanting/alchemy, levels your character up, and thus makes all the monsters stronger... It would b epossible to balance the mobs *and thus the players* better.

A level 25 thats invested in only combat skills... is going to kick the guy whos level 25, with medicore combat skills, but a lot of levelsin there crafting skills. (which.. mainly is just showing how bad the levle-scaling system in Skyrim is, over-all.)

Problem is that to get a powerful sneak + 2h power attack you need

level up the sneak skill

level up the 2-hand skill

level up smithing

level up enchanting 

and even alchemy to get you those 2-hand damage increase potions

All of these increases your "total level" as you said. And that also increases the monsters level, as you said

I defeated the last section in about 10 seconds as a desctruction mage with mediocre gear =P Lightning beam for infinite duration because mana regeneration is better then the mana consumption. And because you only skilled up the destruction skill, the enemy are incredibly weak =P

But the maximum damage a mage can do is nothing compared to melee... So, if one wants to play after "winning" being a mage would really not be a good choice =P

Problem is that to get a powerful sneak + 2h power attack you need

level up the sneak skill

level up the 2-hand skill

level up smithing

level up enchanting 

and even alchemy to get you those 2-hand damage increase potions

All of these increases your "total level" as you said. And that also increases the monsters level, as you said

I defeated the last section in about 10 seconds as a desctruction mage with mediocre gear =P Lightning beam for infinite duration because mana regeneration is better then the mana consumption. And because you only skilled up the destruction skill, the enemy are incredibly weak =P

But the maximum damage a mage can do is nothing compared to melee... So, if one wants to play after "winning" being a mage would really not be a good choice =P

Who needs any damage potions? Even without, 2h + sneak is killer.

And even the +50% lootable smithing potions (if you get smithing) allows you to upgrade your weaposn to some pretty ridiculous numbers. :wink:

But yea... if all you do is level up destruction.. you will be a god... Compared to level 10 mobs. :wink:

Almost can't use sneak until you master it in that build. Ya. After you hit 100.. you can practically assassinate an entire camp withotu getting caught.

2h is slow, but... well yea you 1-shot everything. :wink:

I just wish there was a mod, that would split non-combat skills away from your leveling, and still give you points to perk the crafting skills out. (as well as speech/lock/ect)

Sometimes I want this too but then again, if the game didn't level as you did with all the non-combat perks you'd be seriously overpowered. Could you imagine maxing out smithing and enchanting before even hitting level 10? That'd be ridiculous.

Also, I've been thinking about making a pure mage build but I usually get frustrated after getting destroyed a few times lol. Any tips?

Learn to run and get quiet casting as soon as you can.  Have both heavy armor and mage robes favorited for quick switching during combat.  Staffs can be useful if you're desperate, and early on ive found anything but fire skills pretty useless for destruction.  Later on the others catch up.  I forgot the exact spell name, but the one that causes the peeps to attack each other handy for large groups. 

I havent done much on the summoning side of magic.

But the most useful thing you can do is....

GET A MEAT SHIELD!

I've never really played around too much with the Illusion spells. I'm pretty sure the one you're talking about is called Frenzy/Fury. Conjuration is pretty good if you're looking to do a Necro build, which I've tried a few times but eventually got kind of bored with it.

Those are good tips, but I'm pretty strict with my gameplay to keep some kind of realism. I sleep every day, eat, and don't allow myself to carry unrealistic amounts of gear. Makes the game immersion more real, I suppose. Having a follower is definitely something I'll have to do though... I've been having this crazy idea of going a Khajiit firemage build. Eventually get Flamecloak and attack people unarmed with just your claws.

Hahaha, have you seen the "fist only" videos?  the guy kills everything with only his fists :)

And i cant do the realism thing.. im a hoarder..  I cant sell or store anything i dont need to.  At first i used the "Bandoliers bags and pouches" mod to increase my carry weight, but then i filled that up and just went in to the command console and set it to 999999...

Most of my experiance has been with my archer/battlemage combo, useing magic in cqc and the bow to thin out the crowd before it gets to me.  The stun from the destruction spells is perfect for stopping dragons (excellent place for ice spells) in flight attacks

But the best thing to do is max out your sneaking skills, max out destruction, then sneek into the middle of a camp and cast firestorm.  It isnt the most effective, but its hilarious.

Currently Ive been trying out a thief/illusionist build with the hobbit race (from a mod), and holy crap knives are effective.  Im having trouble with baddies i cant isolate  and are too powerful for fury (dont have frenzy yet), and the stupid draugars who keep disarming me and making it impossible to find my knives again...

Yeah I hate when draughars disarm you with their shouts. I play on Xbox though so console commands don't work for me :(

And yes, that video is hilarious lol. I'm not real big on the full suit of Daedric armor though. I might rock some heavy armor since I'll be fighting up close, but I kind of picture this character being good aligned. Dwarven or Steel-plate I think.

My first play through I kept everything, but later I started getting into the more realistic play styles. I'm not super strict about it like some places I've heard where they play dead is dead, so whenever they die that character is officially retired. That would just get... old I think lol

Sometimes I want this too but then again, if the game didn't level as you did with all the non-combat perks you'd be seriously overpowered. Could you imagine maxing out smithing and enchanting before even hitting level 10? That'd be ridiculous.

Also, I've been thinking about making a pure mage build but I usually get frustrated after getting destroyed a few times lol. Any tips?

Imagine the game as it is.

Maxed out Alchemy, Smithing & Enchanting, with no combat skills increased?

Now instead of overpowered, your now a walking punching bag. :wink:

I've never really played around too much with the Illusion spells. I'm pretty sure the one you're talking about is called Frenzy/Fury. Conjuration is pretty good if you're looking to do a Necro build, which I've tried a few times but eventually got kind of bored with it

Because of my playstyle, most of those don't work.... all the mobs are immune to them (Mobs the same level as Me.) because I've efectively gainedlike 20 levels from crafting skills. :wink:

I usually try to limit myself to one or two crafting skills on each character build. Whenever I start someone, I have an objective in mind for how I want to them to be. If I skill doesn't make sense, I scrap it.

In the Dawnguard Elite build I was doing (basically I was just a Companion but eventually moved over to the Dawnguard after the DLC came out and destroyed Vamps in wolf form) I worked 2h (battle axe), smithing, heavy armor, a little bit of sneak, and alchemy (for smithing buffers). Plus the werewolf skill tree that Dawnguard offered. I had a good time with it.

Archived