DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Finishing up the last book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, for the 2nd time.  It is definitely one of my favorite series.  While it falls short of the Wheel of Time, everything does for me, and it is still far above most other series I've read in its epic battle scenes and characters.

Finishing up the last book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, for the 2nd time.  It is definitely one of my favorite series.  While it falls short of the Wheel of Time, everything does for me, and it is still far above most other series I've read in its epic battle scenes and characters.

I still haven't managed to get a copy of Toll the Hounds. I could get it from the library, but I own books 1-7. So that series is still unfinished...

Haven't read anything this year as I've been spending time writing my own fantasy novel but I figure it's been too long without a book.

Probably gonna go back and read The Gentlemen Bastard series which starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora. Read the first two and they were fantastic, didn't know the guy had gotten back to writing until I saw the thread here, so looking forward to getting back into those fantastic books. A friend of mine actually said what I have written reminded him of Locke (although he's probably wrong and an idiot) so maybe I can get a bit of inspiration, too.

I recently finished the currently available 3 books in the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. (The Black Prism, The Blinding Knife, and The Broken Eye)

Loved them. I'm slightly depressed that the final volume isn't scheduled to be out until next year.

• 1 month later...

So let's see, I recently finished Enders Game, Steelheart, Alloy of Law,  and I am currently reading Jim Butcher's Wizard At Large.  Been reading text books for the most part lately due to returning to school.  Wish I could find more time to read for pleasure but there is only another month of classes so I guess I'll have to wait until then.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading The Hobbit to my kids right now (a chapter or partial chapter each night at bedtime).  They are enjoying it, and I am too.  I read it many years ago, but I had forgotten most of the plot.  It is interesting to see how huge a debt the fantasy genre owes to Tolkein.  I see many things in The Hobbit (and I'm sure also in Lord of the Rings) that clearly influenced later fantasy books (including The Wheel of Time) as well as the Dungeons and Dragons role-playing game (and probably other RPGs too).

I'm also reading The Brothers Karamazov (on my own, not to the kids), but it is going slowly.  I have found it very slow and boring so far, but I am only about 150 pages into the book, and I am sticking with it in the hope that it gets better.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Wizard Under Fire by Jim Butcher.  Will need to pick up the rest of the series soon.  Moving on to some of the stuff that's been piling up in the meantime while I've been in school.  I have some Terry Brooks in the form of The Dark Legacy of Shannara waiting, as well as the Shadowmarch series by Tad Williams and Speaker of the Dead by Orson Scott Card. Or I can round out the Malazan story by reading Knight of Knives, Return of the Crimson Guard, and Stoneweilder by Ian C Esselmont.   There are a few other choices but I think this is where my next read comes from. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished The Fires of Heaven yesterday. Despite some rough patches with everyone's least favourite women, I was immensely satisfied with the ending.

Before that, I read the Star Wars: Dark Nest trilogy. Some of the plot and backstory was a little confusing as I haven't read any of the Yuuzhan Vong War stuff yet. But the characters were lovable and the action was exciting, so I'd call that a win in my book (awful pun totally intended)

I'm still undecided on what to read next. Part of me wants to jump right into Lord of Chaos, but I've also been meaning to reread Eragon and Eldest for the longest time so I can finally read Brisingr. I've been holding on to it for the last two or three years, but I haven't read the first two since like 7th grade so I don't really remember the events or characters very well.

• 4 weeks later...

Having recently finished the wot series i must delve into something else completely. I have several hard Sci fi shorts collections and volumes, and several books by Stephen Baxter in need of reading. For those interested in hard Sci fi I recommend Stephen Baxter's Vacuum Diagrams, a series of shorts that fit an overall story composed of other books. Other than that I'm reading stuff for my master's degree, and my own books and screenplays.

Just finished a book by a relatively new author, JD Spero ( a neighbor of mine), called Forte.  About a teenage girl who moves to a small upstate town from New York city to better focus on her piano playing only to tryout and make the volleyball team.  She discovers there is something a bit sinister (or wonderful) about a blue liquid the players drink before practice and games and also that she seems to have lost her ability to play piano at the same time.  There is a bit of magic and prophecy and mystery all wrapped into the story.  It was a quick read and a welcome break from some heavier reading (for school) I have been into lately. 

Also finished Possession: Teaching Your Team to Keep the Darn Ball, by Dan Blank.  It's a soccer coaches guide to training teams in a possession style of play.

Currently reading Shutout Pizza, also by Dan Blank and Speaker of the Dead by Orson Scott Card.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am currently reading The Dragon Reborn, but i am also pondering over Christopher Tolkien's The History of Middle-Earth. It's hard to believe the massive amount of notes it took J.R.R Tolkien to write his epic!!

I'm actually about half way through The Dragon Reborn too, but I usually have 2-3 books on the go at once, depending on my mood, whether I'm reading on iPhone or Kindle etc. The other one I have at the minute is Christian Nation. It's a little far fetched, however for some people on the religious right I suppose it would be a sort of utopia for them, a heaven on Earth.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Xenocide by Arthur C Clark.  Recently watched the film Maze Runner and decided to give the book a try.  So far it's ok.  Actually like the changes made for the movie so far.  I may not have had I read the book first.  Will probably continue with The Scorch Trials afterward mostly because I would like to read it before seeing the film. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not reading any novels right now, I am reading comics more. I have finished the Mistborn trilogy and read the two Words of Radiance books. I am also on The Return of The King since the LOTR is in one book for me. Plus I am a little way into listening to the Great Hunt in audio form.

• 2 months later...

bout halfway through The Great Hunt, then i'll be onto Fool Moon of Dresden. i'm trying to alternate but when i finish one i want to read the next in a series immediately. ah choices