DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Finished Rebels Creed.  Not bad.  I look forward to Daniel Greene's next installment.   Started The Lies of Locke Lamora.    This one keeps popping up on must read lists and I was gifted the series for Christmas so I figured I'd give it a go.  I'm hooked right now.  The writing is great and the story is fun.

Edited by redarm

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with The Lies of Locke Lamora. Its great.  I did notice something weird though.  In several places, between or at the beginning of chapters, there are contemporary quotes.  This seems odd.  Here we have a story that is obviously fantasy and set in a world not our own, and yet there is a quote attributed to a baseball player, among others, embedded right in the middle.   Is it just me or is that just a little incongruous?  Otherwise this book is fantastic.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:12 PM, redarm said:

Rebels Creed is definitely a continuation of the story.   Feels like the two should have been one book.  But the story is good and I am interested in what happens to the characters.  

I read Breach of Peace a few days ago and loved it!  Not what I expected at all.  Rebels Creed is already on its' way to me, along with the Hyperion series.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have decided to start re-reading some  Wheel of Time - partly inspired by the TV show coming around and having very fond memories of WoT. So I am currently about 2/3rds through EotW. 

My plan is to re-read Wheel of Time in between some original and shorter reads. I'm approaching 500 books on Goodreads and would really like to get there by 2025. So in between my Wheel of Time re-read I have the following books I would like to read:

Joanna Russ: The Female Man

Ann Leckie: Ancillary Mercy

Ursula K. LeGuin: Word for World is Forest, Left Hand of Darkness and A Wizard of Earthsea

Anne McCaffrey: Dragonflight

Having also read a bit of Brian Aldiss recently I would like to read Helliconia. I would also like to read Vernor Vinges A Deepness in the Sky and Children of the Sky. 

Also keeping an eye out for more Adrian Tchaikovsky as I have really enjoyed both his Sci Fi and Fantasy outputs. 

So yeah I have a lot of reading I want to do and so little time. Having recently found Goodreads I have been loading everything onto there and intend to create a virtual Bookshelf which mirrors my in world collection. 

31 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Agreed.  I can read that every other year without problem.  The subsequent books went downhill fast for me though.  Couldn't even finish the 3rd.

Haha ones mans trash is another mans treasure. 

I actually really enjoyed the first 4 books - although Dune Messiah was a bit meh for me. I did really enjoy Children of Dune - the one you couldn't finish! 🙂

I will agree though, none of the rest of the series come close to Dune, it works perfect as a standalone for me. Hits all the right notes. 

On 6/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, SilentRoamer said:

One of my favourite books - how did you find it?

Haven't finished yet, but it's very enjoyable so far. The omniscient perspective takes a while to get used to, but I like the direct writing style and the world building is excellent. Some of the best I've read so far.

• 1 month later...

So I finished Wizard of Earthsea - I really enjoyed it, the fast pacing, the prose and storytelling. It was my first introduction to Ursula K Le Guin and I could see her influence in so much later fantasy that I have read. 

Next I move onto book 3 of my WoT re-read: The Dragon Reborn. I remember really enjoying this book. 

After The Dragon Reborn I will go for another book in between just to help me with the pacing and so I dont get burned out. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, SilentRoamer said:

So I finished Wizard of Earthsea - I really enjoyed it, the fast pacing, the prose and storytelling. It was my first introduction to Ursula K Le Guin and I could see her influence in so much later fantasy that I have read. 

Next I move onto book 3 of my WoT re-read: The Dragon Reborn. I remember really enjoying this book. 

After The Dragon Reborn I will go for another book in between just to help me with the pacing and so I dont get burned out. 

Ew!  I can't read like that.  I have to read straight through.  Helps me keep track of the characters and plot lines.  Books 7-10 weren't nearly so hard to get through when I could go straight from the awesome start to the epic finish.  Reading them separately as they were published was difficult because I would forget stuff in the intervening years...

11 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Ew!  I can't read like that.  I have to read straight through.  Helps me keep track of the characters and plot lines.  Books 7-10 weren't nearly so hard to get through when I could go straight from the awesome start to the epic finish.  Reading them separately as they were published was difficult because I would forget stuff in the intervening years...

I still forget stuff reading straight through, but I agree. It helps me stay motivated and invested in the billion interconnected stories. I still can't convince myself to enjoy most of the Aes Sedai perspectives though.

5 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

I still forget stuff reading straight through, but I agree. It helps me stay motivated and invested in the billion interconnected stories. I still can't convince myself to enjoy most of the Aes Sedai perspectives though.

And the Faile captivity is still rough for me, but all reads better together in my case.

11 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

And the Faile captivity is still rough for me, but all reads better together in my case.

Yes, that dragged on far too long imo.

Spoiler

And I was pretty irked by her relationship with Rolan, especially the laissez-faire attitude Perrin had when he found her. Obviously he didn't know what Rolan did, but the rescue chapter reads like he was aware "something" may of happened and he's content to overlook it. This supposedly blood-boiling husband is just "eh, whatever. At least I have Faile back." It felt like whiplash to his character arc.

I'm still a little raw from it because I just finished Knife Of Dreams on my re-read. Now I'm getting into The Gathering Storm, and it may be my favorite in the series.

Spoiler

I absolutely love how dark Rand becomes.

16 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I'm pretty lucky that I have a really solid memory, not photographic or eidetic but i can pick up and put down large series without too much trouble - to the point I am probably part way through a number of series and it wont cause me any real difficulty. 

Obviously WoT is one of the biggest with the ensemble cast, and I do forget things, but as long as I am only waiting a few weeks / months before the next book it really won't make too much difference to me. 

I've only read the series once and feel like I have good handle on most if it already so this re-read is sort of one where I have a critical eye and I am looking at foreshadowing, any inconsistencies and really focusing on understanding the metaphysical rules of Randland. 

I will probably read 7-11 back to back just because they are pretty slow burn if I remember, I remember the Faile/Shaido/Perrin arc really dragging on for me on my first read waiting between books, hopefully that wont feel as pronounced this read. 

2 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

I'm pretty lucky that I have a really solid memory, not photographic or eidetic but i can pick up and put down large series without too much trouble - to the point I am probably part way through a number of series and it wont cause me any real difficulty. 

Obviously WoT is one of the biggest with the ensemble cast, and I do forget things, but as long as I am only waiting a few weeks / months before the next book it really won't make too much difference to me. 

I've only read the series once and feel like I have good handle on most if it already so this re-read is sort of one where I have a critical eye and I am looking at foreshadowing, any inconsistencies and really focusing on understanding the metaphysical rules of Randland. 

I will probably read 7-11 back to back just because they are pretty slow burn if I remember, I remember the Faile/Shaido/Perrin arc really dragging on for me on my first read waiting between books, hopefully that wont feel as pronounced this read. 

Definitely not criticizing.  You do you.  I don't have as much time to read as I used to, so getting through all 15 books is a major time commitment for me.  I totally get breaking it up if it works for you.