DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I have took a recent break from longer books, and re-read three Agatha Christie mystery novels that I hadn't read in many years:  The ABC Murders, N or M?, and Murder on the Orient Express.  None of them were nearly as good as I remembered them being -- in particular N or M? had not aged well for me -- but they were still enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

Completed Stewarts The Wicked Day, which concludes her Merlin Saga.  Nearly finished with The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells.  Not sure where to go next. Maybe the follow up to Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, by Ken Follett.  The wife wants me to read a few more Star Wars books.  Maybe.  They are quick reads but get a liitle repetitive. 

Just finished one of the best books I've read in terms of the style of writing.

Rebellion (in the UK Renegade I believe) by Robyn Young. I have not seen such talent in a long time. There was not one moment where I was bored or distracted; the battle scenes were amazing. The storyline was riveting, all the more because it was real. The best historical fiction novel I remember to have read.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished World Without End by Ken Follett.  It was awesome.  As good as Pillars of the Earth I think.  Highly reccomend them both. 

Next up is Digital Fortress by Dan Brown.  I have enjoyed the Robert Langdon stories and figured I might like these as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Digital Fortress and Deception Point by Dan Brown and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  Browns stuff is fast paced and fun.  The Hunger Games was ok.  Definitely for a younger crowd.  Have to see the movie now and see if it's bad or if the visualization of the carnage saves it.  I'll probably read the rest of the series now anyway. 

Edited by redarm

Done with the Hunger Games trilogy after completing Mockingjay.  All in all not too bad.  Actually saw the Hunger Games movie.  Funny how much they changed since I didn't find the books all that detailed or full of fluff. I think someone who has seen the film but not read the book would not have really picked up on the real motivations for why Katniss does everything she does and you really miss out on the internal dialogue she has about the other characters. 

On to the newest Terry Brooks Shannara additions, The Dark Legacy of Shannara, Wards Of Faerie.  

Just completed The Kobolds Guide to Board Game Design by Mike Selinker.  Pretty interexting and actually very helpfull as I am trying to complete a game of my own.  Currently I am reading Brian Tinsman's The Game Inventors Guidebook.  Again, very helpful.  Also reading Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Tisman's The Game Inventors Guidebook and now onto Characteristics of Games by George Elias, Richard Garfield, and K. Robert Gutschera.  Eventually I will finish Wards of Faerie.  Been really into the game design books lately as I have been working on a few of my own. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finshed Words of Radiance.  I thought it was great.  I've heard a lot of complaint about pacing and stuff but I didn't have that problem.  I thought it moved along fine.  For such a large book there was enough in each  chapter to keep the story moving.  I now have a need to reread Warbreaker.  I was going to just go and look up some info I think related to WoR but found myself starting from the beginning.  Forgot how much I enjoyed Lightsong.

Finished Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi yesterday. It had a marvelous structure and was better than its prequel Quantum Thief in many areas, but unfortunately the ending left me feeling the same as

after I finished QT - the author has an ability to make me not interested about the next book. I'm still going to read the Causal Angel when it' published in Finland in September. Rajaniemi can write well and

the characters are deeper than in many fantasy books I've read. If the last part is better than FP, then it's very good. I hope the ending problem gets fixed. I'll likely read FP again to arrange my thoughts

more.