DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Recently finished Lord of Chaos and A Crown of Swords.  Half way through re read of The Path of Daggers.  I am expecting the gift of  A memory of Light for my birthday in March so I'm trying to get through these as quickly as I can now.  Tough to find enough reading time these days, sadly.

Just read Hate List by Jennifer Brown for my Book Club. Wasn't sure I'd enjoy it as its aimed towards young adults and deals with the aftermath of a school shooting. I did enjoy it though, and I'd recommend it, but its not really a light read.

Also re-read Good Omens. Still funny as heck.

Trying to read Game of Thrones, but its not really holding my interest well.

Next up is re-reading all Jeff Lindseys "Dexter" novels

I read A Memory of Light immediately after Amazon delivered it to me on Jan.8th. It took me almost a week to read the story I waited almost 23 years to get in order to read how the greatest fantasy series of all time ends.

Afterwards, I read Ted Dekker's Sanctuary and Mortals.

Now, I am doing my first re-read of A Memory of Light.

Edited by Red2111

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading A Hiatory of the Balkans, 1453 to present (author wrote this in the fifties), by Stavrianos. Fairly interesting though take the author's bias with a grain of salt. Good place to start if you're interested about early/modern Balkan history though.

I'm also reading, How We Choose To Be Happy, which is a very good self-help book

• 2 weeks later...

@Suttree

Woah!  I loved the story within a story (and story within a story within a story at times).  Really let the author explain details and reasoning well. 

Starting What Wise Men Fear now.

EDIT: Am thinking of picking up The Steel Remains, since I'll probably be done with What Wise Men Fear soon (Name of Wind only took me a week to read)

Edited by Plato

I have decided to try something different than my usual genres of books.

Has anyone here read anything from the alternate-history sub-genre of science fiction?

Currently, I am reading 1634: The Baltic War (the Ring of Fire series) by Eric Flint and David Weber.

Has anyone here read anything from the alternate-history sub-genre of science fiction?

Currently, I am reading 1634: The Baltic War (the Ring of Fire series) by Eric Flint and David Weber.

I just googled the series a little bit, sounds pretty interesting... How are you finding it so far?

I just googled the series a little bit, sounds pretty interesting... How are you finding it so far?

I am about 400 pages into the book, and its really pretty good. So far, its a real page turner that is difficult to put down.

I am currently reading "Curse of the Mistwraith" by Janny Wurts.  It is the first book in her War of Light and Shadow series.  Mrs. Wurts seems to love the thesaurus, or has an incredible mastry of the english language.  Either way, I fear I am no longer secure in my personal belief of "knowing enough words to get by".

If there wasn't a dictionary built into my e-reader, half of the most eloquent descriptions would be lost on me - and graduated college Summa Cum Laude in English and History!  Do not get me wrong, as the story is well worth the literary challenge.  Her word choices are perfectly matched to the scenes as well, they are just a little disused or esoteric bits left over a pre-internet education.  (Knowing latin roots, suffixes, and prefixes helps here, not sight reading.  ;) )

Still, I am left feeling I may have stumbled into a series akin in deapth of WoT.  She certainly has a method to her world's magic system and a skilled hand at crafting believable characters.  Let's just see how this first book fairs....

I am currently reading "Curse of the Mistwraith" by Janny Wurts.  It is the first book in her War of Light and Shadow series.  Mrs. Wurts seems to love the thesaurus, or has an incredible mastry of the english language.  Either way, I fear I am no longer secure in my personal belief of "knowing enough words to get by".

If there wasn't a dictionary built into my e-reader, half of the most eloquent descriptions would be lost on me - and graduated college Summa Cum Laude in English and History!  Do not get me wrong, as the story is well worth the literary challenge.  Her word choices are perfectly matched to the scenes as well, they are just a little disused or esoteric bits left over a pre-internet education.  (Knowing latin roots, suffixes, and prefixes helps here, not sight reading.  ;) )

Still, I am left feeling I may have stumbled into a series akin in deapth of WoT.  She certainly has a method to her world's magic system and a skilled hand at crafting believable characters.  Let's just see how this first book fairs....

Sounds interesting. After you finish the first book, I would love to know what kind of recommendation you would give for that book.

Finished Knife of Dreams and starting The Gathering Storm. 

This will the be the first time that I have done a reread of the Brandon Sanderson volumes. I am interested to see if I can pick out any stylistic changes in the writing since I have been so into Jordans so recently.

Sounds interesting. After you finish the first book, I would love to know what kind of recommendation you would give for that book.

As to "Curse of the Mistwraith", the characters are heart-wrenchingly human and the author has successfully made a war fought in proverbial shades of gray.  I could cheer for either side, though I find myself favoring the Shadow Master at the end of the first book.  The magic system is spectacular in its scope and detail and fates change as quickly as a shift of the wind.  The key "change" that sparks the war of the series does seem forced, but without giving things away, I will simply state that this is in keeping with the cause.

Bear in mind, I usually read books of this one's length within a week, but this one took almost three weeks with the same amount of time per day dedicated to its completion.  While this is not as easy a read was WoT though, it isn't as difficult as classic literature either.  So, long story short, if you don't mind keeping a dictionary handy, I do recommend this series.

Now, off to start the second book in the series.  Cliff hangers are major, steep dropoffs, and I for one, am glad Mrs. Wurts is working on the final arc of the series.  She might finish by the time I catch up, so I won't have to wait between books.  :)