DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I finished the Dragonbone Chair. Really picks up after they leave Geloe's place. Will start the beginning the Stone of Farewell tonight.

I just finished the series. It had been a long time since I read it last.

Very good set of books.

Now I've started on The Baker's Boy.

One thing that has actually pissed me off is the names. Why do authors thinking throwing a bunch of random consonants and vowels together will give you an interesting or fun name? Please just use James, Elisabeth, Ryan, and Patrick, or minor variations of it. And the same goes for country names, etc.

Nothing will make me return a book to the library faster than an author who throws a bunch of made up words at me like that.

And I am currently reading Gotrek and Felix by William King.

Edited by cwbys21

Currently reading "The Last Light of the Sun" by Guy Gavriel Kay and "Poetic Diction" by Owen Barfield.

Last Light is already a heart-breaking saga of life on the cusp of barbarism and things unseen. I'm reading Poetic Diction because I'm trying to understand something which is happening in my poetry but I'd be hard-pressed to explain that process.

Just finished the first omnibus edition of the Black Company series. Really enjoying it now, can't wait to get started on Books of the South (Still don't understand why the first Omnibus isn't called Books of the North).

Finished the last book of the Black Company, Soldiers Live. I'm curious if there will be more. While the story does come to a satisfying end it is left in such a way that there is more story that can be told.

Moving back the the MBotF with Dust of Dreams. I have just two of the Malazan books left in the main story line. Plus the Esselmont books.

Finished the last book of the Black Company, Soldiers Live. I'm curious if there will be more. While the story does come to a satisfying end it is left in such a way that there is more story that can be told.

He has two more books planned.. so he says.. try getting the Dread Empire omnibus its good too. I'm starting DeadHouse Gates, and then A Memory of ice.

Edited by Rulius

He has two more books planned.. so he says.. try getting the Dread Empire omnibus its good too. I'm starting DeadHouse Gates, and then A Memory of ice.

I was going to ask what people thought of Dread Empire, curious to start it once I finish The Black Company.

White luck warrior by Bakker

Girl with the dragon tattoo

Mockingjay

A shadow in summer

American gods

Ysabel

Thinking about Doing a reread of the safehold series soon, and going to start the dresden files and the vlad taltos books soon, as well as the ten thousand.

White luck warrior by Bakker

For my money that was the best fantasy book of 2011 and it wasn't really that close. Bakker is an excellent author and is really raising the bar in terms of literary quality.

Check out these short stories he does on his blog! "The False Sun" is awesome and fills in some info for the world...

http://rsbakker.word.../the-false-sun/

Edited by Suttree

I completed a re-read of the entire Wheel of Time series a few months ago (including reading Towers of Midnight for the first time). Right now I am taking a break from fantasy novels altogether. The book that I just finished reading is a historical novel, The Last Crusader: A Novel about Don Juan of Austria by Louis de Wohl. I thought it was very good, though it helps that I am interested in Spanish history, and in general European history and Christian history. Right now I am re-reading parts of a parenting book, and I haven't decided yet what I will read next.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Steven Erikson's Dust of Dreams last night. Started The Crippled God. There are a lot of story lines that need to come to a close in this book. Excited to see how it all turns out.

Also reading The Invisible Man by HG Wells.

and reading The Darkness that Comes Before by Bakker although Bakker's book is a bit tedious in reading. A bit boring at the moment, about 70 pages into it.

Stick with it, trust me...Bakker IMO is the most talented fantasy writer out right now.

and reading The Darkness that Comes Before by Bakker although Bakker's book is a bit tedious in reading. A bit boring at the moment, about 70 pages into it.

Stick with it, trust me...Bakker IMO is the most talented fantasy writer out right now.

I've always meant to get round to reading some of Bakkers work.

I'm currently reading Way Of Kings Part 2, I enjoyed Part 1 but not as exciting as I was hoping, though Sanderson is currently 1 of my fave authors as I loved the Mistborn. Read alot of Pratchett since Xmas. I read one of his books a few years ago and it put me off, but started from Bk 1 and I love him. My re-read of WoT is due to start very soon, after I have finished WoK Pt 2

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

I typically give books a 100 page limit. Is that fair in this case? I do like action in my fantasy books.

Just re-read the whole Second Apocalypse by Bakker again.

Bloody awesome.

Waiting for Unholy Consult.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Bakker, Y U NO HAVE CHILDREN LATER?!?!

Ah well, I still haven't read any books by Sanderson yet.

A bit reluctant; I am waiting for too many books currently and I'd rather not add a new author to that list.

Just re-read the whole Second Apocalypse by Bakker again.

Bloody awesome.

Waiting for Unholy Consult.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Bakker, Y U NO HAVE CHILDREN LATER?!?!

How amazing was White Luck Warrior? He just keeps getting better and better. Posted this earlier but here is a little something to tide you over...

http://rsbakker.word.../the-false-sun/

Edited by Suttree