DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Picked up 50 Shades of Grey. First, I have no idea how this got published. It may very well be the worst written book in the history of this Age or any other. HOWEVER, it is pretty damn funny. Sophmoric of me but what can you do? We are all human.

I'll say this too, reading 50 Shades + WoT books simultaneously = wackiest dreams ever.

Just finished the second Omnibus edition of The Black Company. Series is still holding strong for me, I was especially surprised at how much I enjoyed the new characters in The Silver Spike (Smeds, Fish and crew).

Waiting for "The Return of the Black Company" that I ordered from Amazon now.

Reading:

A feast for crows

War and Peace

Before they are hanged

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

and when I find my copy Ill finish the count of monte cristo

Recently finished:

A storm of swords

reread of Catch 22 (my favorite book)

The old man and the sea

My current books should keep me busy for awhile but next books will be A dance with dragons, the white rose and the third book in abercrombies first series.

Finishing part one of The Belgariad, Have Erikson's Midnight Tides ready to go. Some people don't like Eddings, but to me going back and re-reading the Belgariad is like hanging out with and old friend. Not nearly as complicated as the Malzan novels or Martin, but then you don't need a database to keep track of things.

On my shelf now:

- Mortal Prey (John Sandford) - in Dutch

- The Crimson Petal and the White (Michel Faber) - in English

- Death Note (fourth book) - in French

- The World of LotR (how Fellowship was written) - in English

- A book about the Spanish civil war on Mallorca - in Dutch

- a collection of plays and short stories by Gogol - in Dutch

- Dune (Frank Herbert) - in French

I think those are the most important ones. Oh, and I'm listening to Dragon Reborn when I go out cycling.

Edited by Thorum

Finished The Crippled God, by Erikson. Awesome conclusion. I wonder though if there won't be other books in addition to these. There seems a lot of room for more story.

I'd love to see Karsa wage his war on civilization for instance.

Some minor plot lines left gaping. I assume some of that will be used by Esselmont or Erikson some other time.

Anyway on to something new. I have Inheritance on the shelf. Might as well get it out of the way.

The last book I read was Norwegian wood by Haruki Murakami. Currently I'm reading Winter's heart by Robert Jordan :rolleyes: and Templar salvation by Raymond Khoury. After I finish those I will read Crossroads of Twilight and Azincourt by Bernad Cornwell.

Last book I read was 'Uneasy Lies the Head' by SP Hendrick (who is an internet-friend of mine) and Star Trek: Articles of the Federation. The current read is 'New Spring'. I was going to save it until after MoL, but then my willpower all went to the diet, and I picked it up and started. I've also nearly finished Star Trek 'Shockwave' (the novelisation of the episode - it's not very good), and Dragonlance: Dragons of Dwarven Depths (which has Raislin in it, so it's excellent). Next on the list is Dragons of the Hourglass Mage (also has Raistlin, so high expectations, there); another Star Trek novel, although I can't remember the specific title (it's on my phone, not a paper version) and probably a history book, since I've not read much non-fiction so far this year.

I read too much. I don't watch TV (except Big Bang Theory).

Naked Empire from the Sword of Truth series

Way of Kings from the Stormlight Archive

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose (if anyone likes WWII stories this is a true story collected through the survivors)

• 3 weeks later...

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (a re-read).

Also just finished my IGCSE exams (last was on Wednesday) and have the whole of summer to look forward to (and get bored during).

So, thank you Suttree; if you love this book, then I probably will too.

Just started "The Dragon's Path" by Daniel Abraham. This guy can flat out write. Loving it so far...

Also, thanks for posting Bakker's short story a while back.

Edited by Apples First

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (a re-read).

Also just finished my IGCSE exams (last was on Wednesday) and have the whole of summer to look forward to (and get bored during).

So, thank you Suttree; if you love this book, then I probably will too.

Just started "The Dragon's Path" by Daniel Abraham. This guy can flat out write. Loving it so far...

Also, thanks for posting Bakker's short story a while back.

No worries mate.

I really enjoyed the "Long Prince Quartet" by Abraham. Just finished the first book(Dragon's Path" in his new series "The Dagger and Coin Quintet" and it is holding up very well. Strong prose, excellent characterization and a world that show hints of having incredible depth. I would say he is definitely one of the more talented fantasy writers coming up right now.

Re-reading The Written by Ben Galley, his editors should be fired, but the story is amazing. I love dark gritty characters. His second book Pale Kings is even better, showing improvement on everything, and I can not wait to Re-read that.

Currently reading Richard Morgan's Kovacs sci-fi series--he also has a fantasy series beginning with the Steel Remains which was awesome.

Next up some Daniel Abraham. Read Leviathan Wakes and Calibans War which he writes with George R. R. Martin's assistant under the pseudonym James. A. Corey, and it rocked.

I'm halfway through The Shadows Rising. This is my third read of the WoT series and i'm enjoying this read through just as much as the first two reads. Noticing some little details that I missed out on before or even forgotten.

Also, reading Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury. On about page 100 at the mo, not really sure what to make of it, it's a bit weird

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

I bought Martian Chronicles for a long plane flight and haven't finished it yet. (Surprisingly enough this is my first independantly read Ray Bradbury book...verdict is still out.)

I am currently reading "Citizens: A History of the French Revolution" and "Seige of Mecca: The Attack on Islams Holiest Shrine and the Birth of Al Queuda"

Both are fascinating and highly recommended!