DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I am currently reading "Curse of the Mistwraith" by Janny Wurts.  It is the first book in her War of Light and Shadow series.  Mrs. Wurts seems to love the thesaurus, or has an incredible mastry of the english language.  Either way, I fear I am no longer secure in my personal belief of "knowing enough words to get by".

If there wasn't a dictionary built into my e-reader, half of the most eloquent descriptions would be lost on me - and graduated college Summa Cum Laude in English and History!  Do not get me wrong, as the story is well worth the literary challenge.  Her word choices are perfectly matched to the scenes as well, they are just a little disused or esoteric bits left over a pre-internet education.  (Knowing latin roots, suffixes, and prefixes helps here, not sight reading.  ;) )

Still, I am left feeling I may have stumbled into a series akin in deapth of WoT.  She certainly has a method to her world's magic system and a skilled hand at crafting believable characters.  Let's just see how this first book fairs....

Sounds interesting. After you finish the first book, I would love to know what kind of recommendation you would give for that book.

As to "Curse of the Mistwraith", the characters are heart-wrenchingly human and the author has successfully made a war fought in proverbial shades of gray.  I could cheer for either side, though I find myself favoring the Shadow Master at the end of the first book.  The magic system is spectacular in its scope and detail and fates change as quickly as a shift of the wind.  The key "change" that sparks the war of the series does seem forced, but without giving things away, I will simply state that this is in keeping with the cause.

Bear in mind, I usually read books of this one's length within a week, but this one took almost three weeks with the same amount of time per day dedicated to its completion.  While this is not as easy a read was WoT though, it isn't as difficult as classic literature either.  So, long story short, if you don't mind keeping a dictionary handy, I do recommend this series.

Now, off to start the second book in the series.  Cliff hangers are major, steep dropoffs, and I for one, am glad Mrs. Wurts is working on the final arc of the series.  She might finish by the time I catch up, so I won't have to wait between books.  :)

Thank you. That sounds like a very good book and one that I shall put on my must read list. 

Just finished Way of Kings. Thought it was awesome and sets up for a nice series. The ending came of nowhere and the book could have been like 200 pages shorter. But I prefer longer books (when they are good) because I love reading them.

Now I really have no idea what to read. I read Wot, ASOIF, LoTR, and a couple other series. I couldnt make it through Malazan Empire books. What about the Kingkiller Chronicle? Is it worth the read?

Edited by jcb1234

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK.  Finished Towers of Midnight.  I am starting A Memory of Light, finally.  Been a long journey.  Hope it's been worth it.

Actually, regardless of how this final book turns out it has been worth it.  Love the story.  In many ways these books are a literary home for me.  They comfort me and make me feel at peace.  They have been with me through most of the biggest events of my adult life thus far, one way or another.  I look forward to many rereads in the future.

Finished A Memory of Light.  Great ending to the story.  Sad to be done.  Next on the list is a read of some Star Wars books.  Not my usual genre but my wife loves sci-fi stuff and asked if I was interested.  I'll take it as a change of pace.  First up is Revan, a Star Wars The Old Republic book.  Might as well do this chronologically and I guess thats the eraliest one.  At least its the earliest one she owns.  She isn't missing many titles. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing a re-read of the WoT and have just finished ACoS, but I'm reading a non-WoT book after I finish each book in the series.  At the moment I'm reading 'Alexander: Child of a Dream' by Valerio Massimo Manfredi.  Its the first part of a historical fiction trilogy focused on the life of Alexander the Great.

I took a 7 year break from first reading The Eye of the World I started the series again last month, now I've finally reached Crossroads of Twilight but I'm proving a bit impatient trying to get to the action too soon lol

I am rereading the Through the Looking Glass series by John Ringo (anyone who loves the Navy, Marines, and scifi needs to read this...)

And awaiting Laurell K. Hamilton's next Anita Blake novel.

Edited by Maurelle

Currently reading A Dance with Dragons, Book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire. After that, a friend of mine bought me Kushiel's Dart. I might start reading that. I also bought the Amanda Knox memoirs, so that may come in somewhere too.

Thursday night at work, I started reading Storm of Iron a WarHammer 40K book by Graham McNeill. 

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/Storm-of-Iron-2008-Edition.html

If you've not read them yet, check out the Night Lords trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Black Library's best writer, writing about the best Chaos Legion.

OK.  In the last few weeks I have read several Star Wars books.  Starting with Revan by Drew Karpyshyn  Also completed Deceived by Paul S. Kemp, Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams, and Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber.  These weren't bad.  Not great by any menas but not horrible either.  I would call them a decent distraction.  I'll come back to the Star Wars stuff later. 

Currently I am reading Mazirian the Magician by Jack Vance.  I believe this was previously titled The Dying Earth.  Not sure why there was a title change. Not bad so far.