DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I'm taking a bit of a break from reading WoT (just finished book 10) and am currently reading the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's a great book. It has just the right amount of seriousness and witty humour. I highly recommend it, it's great fun :)

Edited by SaccaraBird

Finished Dan Browns Inferno.  Another good installment using the Robert Langdon character. 

Also completed Eurogames:The Design Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games by Stewart Woods.  Gave me some new ideas t use in my own game designs. 

Next up? Not sure.  I bought a hard cover copy of the Icewind Dale Trilogy by RA Salvatore at a library sale.  Also picked up a copy of Shadowmarch by Tad Williams at the same sale.  Both books in near new condition ($2 each) and I have never read either.  Other options include the Esselmont outriggers to the Malazan series, the follow up to Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks called The Bloodfire Quest, or perhaps I'll read a bit more Star Wars as my wife would like me to do. 

Suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Completed 20 Questions to Ask if Your Child Has ADHD by Mary Fowler.  Reading Soccer IQ by Dan Blank and Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood through Adulthood by Edward M Hallowell M.D. and John J. Ratey M.D..  Not really much fun reading, although very informative.  Has made me more relaxed as I have gained a bit more knowledge of ADHD.  

The Soccer book is fun though.  A lot of good info in one place.  Mostly things I have barked at my players for twenty years but things you don't train.  Just a lot of tid-bits about what to do in certain situations.  It's about using common sense and being prepared for the situation, whatever it is.  Great book for players because it explains in more detail all those little instructions that coaches are constantly giving but  never quite explaining.  Highly recommended.

I would highly recommend The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and then his books after that. The best fight scenes I've ever read coupled with some brilliantly complex characters.

Just finished the first one, actually. It was pretty good but I have some mixed feelings about it. (Particularily, I found the writing very basic.)

I'm going to start reading A Feast for Crows tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading Crown of Vengeance (Book One of The Dragon Prophecy) -- twice within 2 weeks.  The Dragon Prophecy series is a prequel to the Obsidian Trilogy and Enduring Flame Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory.  Unfortunately, it looks like the next book, Blade of Empire, won't be released till next year.  :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth at my wife's request.  Not too bad.  Went to a library sale and picked up Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, the entire series in hardcover, for $4 so I have started Wizard for Hire.  I like it so far.  Only a few chapters in right now.  Also picked up a few by Tad Williams.  The War of the Flowers, two Otherland Series books,  River of Blue Fire and Mountain of Black Glass, and Shadowmarch all in hardcover and all like new.  Total bill was like $8.  Love the library sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I love library sales! I just went to one and spent about $25 on around 50 books.  I won't bother listing all of them. I don't like Divergent at all, but I don't feel like ranting about it now.

Right now I'm reading The Runelords by David Farland (which I got at the library sale I went to) and it is very good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth and Wizard for Hire by Jim Butcher.  Started Wizard by Trade. The Divergent stuff was ok but not great.  I like the Butcher stuff.  Kind of wish we got more of Dresden's backstory.  The little bits spread throughout the books are a little annoying but the story is pretty good.

Finished Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth and Wizard for Hire by Jim Butcher.  Started Wizard by Trade. The Divergent stuff was ok but not great.  I like the Butcher stuff.  Kind of wish we got more of Dresden's backstory.  The little bits spread throughout the books are a little annoying but the story is pretty good.

Nooo...not Divergent...

Nooo...not Divergent...

My wife asked me to read it.  It was alright.  And it was quick so didn't waste too much time on it.  It was alright though.  I suppose if I was a teenage girl it would be fantastic.  Or a thirty something wife and mother of two, apparently, as my wife loved it.  She roped me into reading Twilight when that was a thing too.(shiver).  The things we do for the ones we love...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished Wizard By Trade by Jim Butcher and read Four by Veronica Roth.  Started Wizard at Large but didn't get far before starting Enders Game after watching the filmShould finish that one up quickly and then back to Butcher.  Have so much to read right now.  3 more books by Card, another one by Butcher, Alloy of Law and Steelheart by Sanderson, and The World of Ice and Fire (The untold Stories of Westeros and The Game of Thrones) by Elio M. Garcia and Linda Antonsson.  Also received The Lands of Ice and Fire which I need to take a deeper look at at some point.  Very cool companion piece with maps of the known world in the GOT books. 

picked back up the hobbit ... but schools starting so i'm probably going to be stopping my re-read of that book and 2nd attempt at the LotR's trilogy and focusing on my Chemistry & Biology text books <_<

as dry and as hard as i find TOlkiens writing ...  i prefer Tolkien if given the choice XD