DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

This is just ridiculous. Look at the map of Randland, how would sisters possibly canvas that large of an area, tracking a small group of Seanchan that leave no trail since they are flying? Do you hope you stumble upon them during one of the pit stops? The odds are beyond remote to say the least. As soon as they left the general vicinity of TV they were as good as gone.

Also as a side question, have we seen anyone be healed from forkroot?

1) Find just ONE warder who can point them out.

2) They would take days to go back. Travelling is quite fast. I'm sure Bryne would have an idea how to spot them (set up stations of sisters around the land and when one spots them, alert, gather and attack is one).

3) Send spies to Seanchan controlled land. Spies who can channel, travel and hide their ability. Track down the da'mane kennels then set them free. With linking, invisibility, inverting, reversing, angreals, sa'angreals, hiding the ability to channel they should be unstoppable.

It's just a glaringly huge plothole, nothing more. Getting Travelling via spying and kidnapping random channelers would be alright. This one is ridiculous.

Great call on the warders, super obvious but for some reason I hadn't thought of it.

As for the rest, I'm spacing right now but have we seen people hide the ability to channel? Know they can invert weaves but didn't know they could mask the talent completely.

I know people have said cut them off on the way back to Ebou Dar but that is still a huge amount of land. Way too much of a risk to send a large party of sisters close to the city. In addition how do they know the Raken aren't heading back to/through Amadacia or Tarabon? The amount of land they would have to travel is crazy big. Look how much of an issue Perrin had tracking a huge party of Shaido by gateway and they were on land.

Edited by Suttree

As for the rest, I'm spacing right now but have we seen people hide the ability to channel? Know they can invert weaves but didn't know they could mask the talent completely.

I know people have said cut them off on the way back to Ebou Dar but that is still a huge amount of land. Way too much of a risk to send a large party of sisters close to the city. In addition how do they know the Raken aren't heading back to/through Amadacia or Tarabon? The amount of land they would have to travel is crazy big. Look how much of an issue Perrin had tracking a huge party of Shaido by gateway and they were on land.

Moghedien taught them (else she wouldn't have been able to hide at all).

What risk in sending those sisters? They can travel out if needed, they have scouting superiority and first strike against any group that has no travelling and they can lay low if needed, they have the means to do that.

Well, Perrin's inability to track those Shaido down is a quite stupid plot device too. He went around it very, very stupidly, but still he should have caught them much faster. It's just that RJ didn't want him to catch them. As you can see, Brandon was clueless on how to slow down Perrin's group too. Just not feasible with them having channelers who can travel.

ToM, when Graendal realises Perrin & co. have escaped the dreamspike, she decides to spring the trap anyway. She thinks that her last chance to kill Perrin is Jaret Byar, who might be able to off Perrin despite his ta'veren-ess during the chaos of a battle.

How does she second guess that Perrin will return from Whitebridge and be there at all?

And, why does she believe that Perrin will come within killing distance of Byar?

IIRC we aren't told specifically that Byar is a Darkfriend are we? Sure he's a zealot and hates Perrin but I think that those traits are enough for him to attack Perrin.

When Graendal speaks of a Whitecloak, she didn't name him. She could just be referring to Galad making the alliance with Perrin during the battle with the Trollocs. Or, she could be referring to a Whitecloak Darkfriend still with Perrin.

Any thoughts?

ToM, when Graendal realises Perrin & co. have escaped the dreamspike, she decides to spring the trap anyway. She thinks that her last chance to kill Perrin is Jaret Byar, who might be able to off Perrin despite his ta'veren-ess during the chaos of a battle.

How does she second guess that Perrin will return from Whitebridge and be there at all?

And, why does she believe that Perrin will come within killing distance of Byar?

IIRC we aren't told specifically that Byar is a Darkfriend are we?

Brandon essentially said he was never a nice guy:

Ryan Lawler on Twitter - 6 January 2011

I'm a bit ahead on my #wotrr but I am confused by Byar's actions in EotW chapter 38. He seems to "noble" for deceitful actions...

Ryan

It also seems out of character for Byar to release suspected Darkfriends who killed Whitecloaks. Insight on his reasoning?

Brandon

Byar never was noble. What he does there is more telling of who he is than anything he says or claims.

Brandon

He wants them dead. Trick them into an escape attempt, then get them executed.

When Graendal speaks of a Whitecloak, she didn't name him.

No, but Occam's Razor would appear to be our friend, in this case. It may be that Graendal simply Compelled him, but Brandon's comments speak against it being entirely necessary.

So how does Graendal "know" that Perrin will come back to help the Whitecloaks?

And if he does, that he will get in killing distance of Byar?

@elci Interesting thought that she may be thinking of some other Whitecloak but it doesn't work - "that idiot of a Whitecloak (had failed)" is the implication of G's PoV.

Edited by Sharaman

She just wanted to let the trap spring, and kill the WC. She didn't expect Perrin to come back.

I just thought of something. Did we consider that Egwene simply didn't want to free Elaida, Traveling or no Traveling?

Well, at least the Ajah heads didn't want to free her. And they said they didn't have the power either.

She just wanted to let the trap spring, and kill the WC. She didn't expect Perrin to come back.

No, Graendal goes through a thought process where she thinks Aybara has escaped and is too strongly ta'veren to be killed normally.

But her last resort Byar might be able to kill him if he is in the eye of a "Brandonism" (storm) of a battle.

She knows 1) that he's escaped (no big deal since the Whitecloaks also know he's gone and she has info sources there)

2) she expects him to participate in the battle and thus give Byar a shot at killing him.

Does your average Asha'man use healing comparable to your average Aes Sedai/Wise One? By that I mean, when an Asha'man heals someone, does the strength come from the person being healed?

I was thinking that Taim was deliberately trying to incapacitate Rand during Dumai's Wells when he offered him healing during the fight. Rand had little strength as it was, and perhaps if that bit was drained from being healed, he would have been unable to countermand Taim's own orders during the battle.

Does your average Asha'man use healing comparable to your average Aes Sedai/Wise One? By that I mean, when an Asha'man heals someone, does the strength come from the person being healed?

I was thinking that Taim was deliberately trying to incapacitate Rand during Dumai's Wells when he offered him healing during the fight. Rand had little strength as it was, and perhaps if that bit was drained from being healed, he would have been unable to countermand Taim's own orders during the battle.

I imagine it depends on the Asha'man just like with Aes Sedai but Taim has Flinn heal Rand IIRC and Flinn uses all five powers like the old days (and Nynaeve) and therefore it doesn't drain the healee like the regular AS healing does.

Someone said that when Rand arrives at Fields of Meridor, he has already dealt with the Black Tower.

Right before meeting the borderlanders he comments about great trouble at the place and sends Naeff to scout and contact Logain's people.

During the meet with the borderlands monarchs he declares: "Tomorrow I meet with the monarchs of the world..." -- meaning the scheduled gathering at Fields of Meridor.

This timeline doesn't leave much space for the Black Tower, implying that in the epilogue, the Black Tower issue is yet to be settled.

So, am I getting this wrong? When Rand arrives at FoM, has he or has he not dealt with the Black Tower already?

We don't know. We only know that the BT timeline is behind the other ones. It could be that he sent Naeff to the BT, and then Naeff joins a great fight between Light and Shadow, that evening, then turns back to Rand, and tells everything is over. We just don't know... :sad:

WH ch. 25, at the very end Verin is making tea for Cadsuane. This time through it seemed to me Verin was about to poison her. it says she puts away a vial unopened and thinks something like she was glad to finally be sure of Cad. Thoughts? It's probably the same substance she got (from a wise one i think) for sleeping. She was told take too much of it and she'd not wake. poison? or maybe an agent to help (her inferior form of) compulsion?

WH ch. 25, at the very end Verin is making tea for Cadsuane. This time through it seemed to me Verin was about to poison her. it says she puts away a vial unopened and thinks something like she was glad to finally be sure of Cad. Thoughts? It's probably the same substance she got (from a wise one i think) for sleeping. She was told take too much of it and she'd not wake. poison? or maybe an agent to help (her inferior form of) compulsion?

It was certainly poison. Cadsuane had a lot of influence on Rand and Verin wasn't going to allow her to continue that influence until she was certain that Cadsuane's goals weren't bad.

While Siuan was stilled and after, she could lie. Now, stilling is permanently sealing the AS from the True Source. They can still feel the Source, but not use it, the same as in momentary shielding.

I think that the shield they use to momentarily cut the AS from the OP works the same, or are very close. They both use only Spirit, both cases have the same results(inability to use the OP, but can still fill the TS).

Can a AS that is shielded tell a lie? Since the oaths are connected to the OP/TS, while they are cut from it, even for a short while, they should be able to do it, right?

Annoura was shielded; Crown of Swords Chapter 5. She seems bound to the 3 Oaths; the Oaths seemed to still apply when she was shielded.

The Oath Rod I guess goes "deeper" than the channeler's connection to the Source.

Severing I guess goes to or beyond Oath Rod's "depth".

Shielding I guess goes not much further than Source connection.

Annoura was shielded; Crown of Swords Chapter 5. She seems bound to the 3 Oaths; the Oaths seemed to still apply when she was shielded.

Annoura is probably Black Ajah.

Why do you think that?

She was meeting in secret with Masema(and probably Suroth?!?)

Don't know for sure, but there are some questions about her.

"secret" meetings are not proof.

As far as I am aware, Annoura never broke any of the 3 Oaths.

Whoever did the illusion wanted Perrin dead. What reason would Annoura have for wanting Perrin dead?

I do not recall any Black Ajah signal during their first meeting.

Edited by mb