DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

You mistake me. Rand has faced the Shadow countless times, this I agree with. That doesn't however mean that he's the only soul to do so. Other Ages or other turnings of the Wheel might require different souls. And RJ could've been talking of those when he made a reference to the champion crossing over.

Secondly, we don't know that Rand's soul has ever before turned to the Shadow.

Yes we do; RJ said so.

This is something I've wondered about for some time. People try to make a distinction on this saying that since RJ only said CoL not the "Dragon Soul" it means that someone else had been turned. Do we have any evidence that the CoL has always been the same soul?

Of course.

1. When someone asked RJ about the possibility of a female dragon, he said he did not intend to explore that at first, and that it was always the same soul. Later he offered up the possibility that another, female soul could play that role, but obviously he felt under pressure from accusations of sexism, so that doesn't mean anything.

2. Brandon said that Rand's and Ishamael's souls are often woven together in the Pattern like Birgitte and Gaidal.

3. There is absolutely no reason to believe that it's ever anyone other than Rand (or Rand's soul).

Question 1: I was thinking about AoL singing involving Nym, Ogier and Aiel team. The BWB says they had some OP abilities which they used to affect plants. And, as I see it, the Aiels sang to enhance their actions. So, my question is: was what the Nym were doing an ability specific for them- a very part and nature of themselves- or could a human channeler imitate this?

We don't know. I had a (loony) theory that Nynaeve was going to rip out Someshta while she was at it with Rand, but for some reason I think it unlikely. I'd say they couldn't duplicate it in the Age of Legends, or else there would have been no need to create the Nym, but just because they couldn't do something in the Age of Legends doesn't mean it's impossible, so it's quite likely the Nym are not needed. (There is careful precedent for that, not least Moridin's POV in TPOD 2).

But question 1, please... :unsure:

Question 1: I was thinking about AoL singing involving Nym, Ogier and Aiel team. The BWB says they had some OP abilities which they used to affect plants. And, as I see it, the Aiels sang to enhance their actions. So, my question is: was what the Nym were doing an ability specific for them- a very part and nature of themselves- or could a human channeler imitate this?

Gwen it's just one of those inspirational thoughts I sometimes have when I read answers to questions about a completely different topic but I wanted to get it out there before it evaporated, that happens a lot if I jot it down and come back to it later... screws up post it note and tosses it thinking now what was that all about? :wacko:

As to your Q we know the nym are constructs and there were lots of them when there were Dai'Shan and singing (with the Voice Luckers and they could have been singing the Macarina for all I care :tongue:) so somewhere before the next AoL someone somewhere is going to have a wonder-moment or the Ogier will bring them back from their alternate dimension. Other than that your guess is as good as mine. If Rand wins I think the land will heal itself because the DO won't be able to impose the blight on it. One of Nynaeve's Accepted test journeys showed (foreshadowed) Malkier unscathed and there is a germ of truth in that because of Sharina - who will be Sharina Sedai in the future. So no need for the Nym now, even though I think one could be the blank in the Blight. Italics to show what I left out the first timee.

Edited by YouMayCallMeElci

As to your Q we know the nym are constructs and there were lots of them when there were Dai'Shan and singing (with the Voice Luckers and they could have been singing the Macarina for all I care :tongue:) so somewhere before the next AoL someone somewhere is going to have a wonder-moment or the Ogier will bring them back from their alternate dimension. Other than that your guess is as good as mine. If Rand wins I think the land will heal itself because the DO won't be able to impose the blight on it. One of Nynaeve's Accepted test journeys showed (foreshadowed) Malkier unscathed and there is a germ of truth in that because of Sharina - who will be Sharina Sedai in the future. So no need for the Nym now, even though I think one could be the blank in the Blight. Italics to show what I left out the first timee.

I don't assume they will be needed either, was just curious from a technical POV.

AoL AS could have been able to do the Nym job but in that case it was better for them to have Nym do it, since AS were not numerous and were probably quite busy.

About the Dragon/champion of the Light/whatever turning to the Shadow and how is that considered a "small" change: Maybe it's not a change at all. Maybe it happens every time. Like, in the 2nd Age, he fights for the Light. In the 3rd also (I don't think Rand is about to turn now). Maybe in the 4th Age, when the time comes for him to be spun out again, he always turns to the Shadow? And in the 5th not, and in the 6th yes, something like that? I'm assigning arbitrary Ages here, but my point is, maybe this IS actually part of the Pattern. In some Ages he fights for the Light, in others for the Shadow, and when that Age comes back, he does it again.

Other explanation: His turning might happen in small increments - maybe in one Age, he is really close to turning to the Shadow but doesn't, but still does a lot of evil things that are almost as if he had turned. Next time that Age comes around, he goes the little distance left and actually turns, but he was already so evil last time it doesn't make much of a difference. And maybe in the same Age, but 1000 turnings ago, he was actually really good, but every time he got a little more evil until he reached the point where he could turn to the Shadow and it wouldn't affect the Pattern too much.

Edited by Rose

Do you mean the Innkeeper in Tanchico? If yes I've never thought of that the honey hair in braids seemed a cultural look to me. If she was Liandrin's sister then I don't think Elayne and Nynaeve would have done so well there so I think not.

It's not only the braid.

-they look almost like twins(the girls tought it was Liandrin at first)

-the same hairstyle, origin, hair color, etc

-and Rendra said she had a mean older sister.

I don't think they were very close. Liandrin probably never thought about her family after joining the BA/WT. So no help or contact between her.

Do you mean the Innkeeper in Tanchico? If yes I've never thought of that the honey hair in braids seemed a cultural look to me. If she was Liandrin's sister then I don't think Elayne and Nynaeve would have done so well there so I think not.

It's not only the braid.

-they look almost like twins(the girls tought it was Liandrin at first)

-the same hairstyle, origin, hair color, etc

-and Rendra said she had a mean older sister.

I don't think they were very close. Liandrin probably never thought about her family after joining the BA/WT. So no help or contact between her.

Fair enough

About the Dragon/champion of the Light/whatever turning to the Shadow and how is that considered a "small" change: Maybe it's not a change at all. Maybe it happens every time. Like, in the 2nd Age, he fights for the Light. In the 3rd also (I don't think Rand is about to turn now). Maybe in the 4th Age, when the time comes for him to be spun out again, he always turns to the Shadow? And in the 5th not, and in the 6th yes, something like that? I'm assigning arbitrary Ages here, but my point is, maybe this IS actually part of the Pattern. In some Ages he fights for the Light, in others for the Shadow, and when that Age comes back, he does it again.

Other explanation: His turning might happen in small increments - maybe in one Age, he is really close to turning to the Shadow but doesn't, but still does a lot of evil things that are almost as if he had turned. Next time that Age comes around, he goes the little distance left and actually turns, but he was already so evil last time it doesn't make much of a difference. And maybe in the same Age, but 1000 turnings ago, he was actually really good, but every time he got a little more evil until he reached the point where he could turn to the Shadow and it wouldn't affect the Pattern too much.

Clever! :smile: That would mean that Rand will learn about the possible future when in TAR... IF he does go there and back again.

Edited by gwenifer

Hopefully I've got a simple question here...

I was reading the beginning of the Elaida poll thread, and it was stated that Elaida was tainted by Fain. What? When did this happen and how did I miss it? :( Or is someone screwing with me.... I don't know anything anymore it appears....help?

Hopefully I've got a simple question here...

I was reading the beginning of the Elaida poll thread, and it was stated that Elaida was tainted by Fain. What? When did this happen and how did I miss it? :( Or is someone screwing with me.... I don't know anything anymore it appears....help?

Some say that Fain had enough time while visiting the WT to spread some of his taint around. It may be so, I don't know for sure.

Some jump at this to explain the AS dissension inside the tower, but I personally don't believe it took a lot of work to turn them against each other.

Elaida and the AS didn't acted like crazy people because they wanted to, they were forced by Fain. Maybe, who knows? I still have my doubts.

Thank you both for the answers!

I do vaguely recall Fain being in the tower for some small amount of time, but didn't remember anything specific about him 'spreading' his evil. Glad to see there isn't a specific instance.....I feel much better now....

Some say that Fain had enough time while visiting the WT to spread some of his taint around. It may be so, I don't know for sure.

Some people like RJ and BS?

RJ's blog 6 October 2005 "AND ONE MORE TIME"

Fain might be said to be contagious in the sense that he corrupts those he is around long enough, but not in the sense that they then have something communicable. As for his influence over people, remember that Fain is now an amalgam of Fain and Mordeth, and Mordeth was a counselor, quite accustomed to and skilled in gaining the ears of the mighty.

DragonCon 5 September 2005 - Tamyrlin reporting

(video) Isabel: When Mat had the dagger, Moiraine and Verin thought he would contaminate other people with the evil of Shadar Logoth, and they would contaminate other people. Fain does seem to be influencing without contaminating people. Is it as dangerous as it seems? Could also normal people become evil, and would they also contaminate other people?

Jordan: No. Fain can contaminate people because he has the dagger; it is the dagger....

Driving Mr. Sanderson

Matt: Is this same corrupting influence what corrupts everyone through the dagger itself?

Brandon: Yeah. Through him, yes. And even through his presence.

Matt: I heard you answer a question last night, which sounded interesting. Someone asked about Padan Fain and Elaida...

Brandon: A lot of people don’t remember that they met.

Matt: So, his influence...how long, for example…wasn’t Egwene exposed to Padan Fain? Are there still effects that Egwene has on people because of him?

Brandon: Remember the idea that people have, generally, a choice. There are ways to turn people to the Shadow against their will, but when that happens the person is no longer the [same] person. What is happening with Padan Fain is, natural tendencies can be exacerbated or they can be fought off...

Matt: ...so Elaida’s paranoia fed that? With someone like Egwene, she might have fought it off, so it’s not going to be…

Brandon: ...right. exactly, or someone like Rand who continues to fight it off. He has become very paranoid. And the wound in his side, certainly someone could make the connection that that might have an influence. I won’t say for certain but…

Matt: ...so, the suggestion is, not only does he have the taint, which is negatively influencing him, or influencing him in such ways that might bring on paranoia; there is this accentuation of it because of Fain…

Brandon: ...this corruption…I mean that wound and the dagger…

Matt: ...that is another source…

Brandon: Mat managed to fight it off pretty much completely; well, not completely, but we don’t see Mat running around paranoid anymore. Elaida gave it something to feed upon, and it was very, very small and subtle with Elaida, but certainly that was an influence.

Edited by Suttree

The stronger a person is in the power, the longer they live right? If that is right, then do male channelers live longer than female channelers on average? Or do saidin and saidar have different strength/life span ratios? It would be sort of ironic if the men do live longer since it's normally the opposite.

The stronger a person is in the power, the longer they live right? If that is right, then do male channelers live longer than female channelers on average? Or do saidin and saidar have different strength/life span ratios? It would be sort of ironic if the men do live longer since it's normally the opposite.

Possibly--remember women live longer than men on average naturally, so it may even out, and too the actual strength difference between the male average strength and the female average strength may not be enough to notably effect life--Romanda, Adeleas and Vandene were all of a similar age, yet the latter two stood near the bottom of the Aes Sedai strength range, and former stands at top. The difference in strength between men and women there may still leave them both living comprable life-spans...

Or not. We don't know :)

Hmm...? A lot of people don't remember that Fain and Elaida met? How come? He got the dagger from the Tower (in which event he also met and chatted with Alviarin for a bit). And upon leaving the tower, he claims that he has "left" something on her (Elaida) and Pedron Nial.

And yet many people never took into account that influence when judging Elaida.

Where could a Chosen live that could be described as a snowy glade during the time Rand is in Far Madden? (The first time)

Can you explain this? Maybe by telling what chapter you mean, or quoting the part you mean.

Possibly--remember women live longer than men on average naturally, so it may even out, and too the actual strength difference between the male average strength and the female average strength may not be enough to notably effect life--Romanda, Adeleas and Vandene were all of a similar age, yet the latter two stood near the bottom of the Aes Sedai strength range, and former stands at top. The difference in strength between men and women there may still leave them both living comprable life-spans...

Or not. We don't know :)

Actually, we do. I remember something of an interview that it indeed depends on strength, but the men start slowing later, so a woman of a certain strength would live longer than a man of that strength. It is even so, that a man can be somewhat stronger, and still the woman is the one who lives longer.

Actually we don't. Given that sharina is de-aging the 'when u start slowing' isn't as obvious an influence as you make out. It may be that it would mean what u suggest, and men don't live as long slowed due to starting later. And thus don't live as long, or it may mean that ultimately though men begin slowing late their bodies retroactively adjust, as we are seeing with sharina. We don't know.