DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Going back to this question:

I've been doing a reread and I somehow seemed to have missed the revelation that the Oath Rod causes agelessness. I've gone from Elayne pondering the mystery of the Kin to everyone knowing. So can someone give me the chapter where it's all explained?

I've just come across something on my re-read, which shows that there seems to be more involved than the Oath Rod:

The glow of saidar surrounded Amys and Melaine, and flows of Air lifted the fiery-haired man {Couladin} and flung him back a dozen paces.

Egwene stared, wide-eyed. They could channel. At least, two of them could. Suddenly Amys's youthfully smooth features beneath that white hair leaped out at her for what they were, something very close to Aes Sedai agelessness.

(emphasis mine)

I think LM was asking why she didn't tried to intercept the remaining raken on their way back, after the raid was finished, and destroy them on their way back to Ebou Dar.

Well, she was weakened in the fighting, not to mention the forkroot, it was night and the raken were almost impossible to locate(or high enough to be out of range for an attack), and they didn't knew their return route.

And once she was back in the camp, they had more important stuff to do(or so they thought).

I did mean on their way back to Ebou Dar.

"It's dark" is not an excuse, the way back to Ebou Dar would take several days with rest stops along the way - that was mentioned by the raid commander.

Back in her camp, Egwene had enough AS to order around that could do the task, she didn't HAVE to go herself (though she could have the forkroot Healed out of her). In terms of power, she still has the sa'angreal, with that you can blast raken miles high or at least set-up the mother of all lightning-storms for them.

There were many options how to get back at the air-borne raiding party, but the didn't think about it -- RJ didn't think about it.

This is just ridiculous. Look at the map of Randland, how would sisters possibly canvas that large of an area, tracking a small group of Seanchan that leave no trail since they are flying? Do you hope you stumble upon them during one of the pit stops? The odds are beyond remote to say the least. As soon as they left the general vicinity of TV they were as good as gone.

Also as a side question, have we seen anyone be healed from forkroot?

how would sisters possibly canvas that large of an area, tracking a small group of Seanchan that leave no trail since they are flying?

One might attempt using Need in tel'aran'rhiod, if one were so inclined. One could also wait in ambush near Ebou Dar, and fell the to'raken when they draw near, then escape through a Gateway. Better to leave a residue than to let them have sisters who know the weave itself, no?

have we seen anyone be healed from forkroot?

Not to my recollection, no.

This is just ridiculous. Look at the map of Randland, how would sisters possibly canvas that large of an area, tracking a small group of Seanchan that leave no trail since they are flying? Do you hope you stumble upon them during one of the pit stops? The odds are beyond remote to say the least. As soon as they left the general vicinity of TV they were as good as gone.

Sure it's a large area to cover but the destination is known. They could wait for the raid party ~10 miles from Ebou Dar in some forest and blast them out of the sky when they pass overhead. They have the sa'angreal so they can strike from miles away. Hiding is easy as they can now camouflage themselves and hide their channeling ability.

Now that I think about it... they could even scout out the raken landing area and hit that, but that's a bit more dangerous.

About forkroot, there's absolutely no mention of Healing it, but it's a natural plant so it should be treatable like any other poison.

Edited by LazyMonk

The Three Oaths maybe? While defending the Tower from active attack is obviously fine, a premeditated strike against a fleeing foe would be far more questionable. Their escape could easily lead to the loss of Aes Sedai lives in the future, but it's the sort of thing that would probably descend into paralysing discussion, arguments, plots, counter plots and baths. Also, in the immediate aftermath of the raid, the Tower was not yet unified - one faction had been virtually decimated and had lost all sense of leadership and the other had more or less no idea what was going on. They had a new Amyrlin and Hall to choose, no idea of how fast raken could travel and no guarantee of the route the raken would take...

1) Find just ONE warder who can point them out.

2) They would take days to go back. Travelling is quite fast. I'm sure Bryne would have an idea how to spot them (set up stations of sisters around the land and when one spots them, alert, gather and attack is one).

3) Send spies to Seanchan controlled land. Spies who can channel, travel and hide their ability. Track down the da'mane kennels then set them free. With linking, invisibility, inverting, reversing, angreals, sa'angreals, hiding the ability to channel they should be unstoppable.

It's just a glaringly huge plothole, nothing more. Getting Travelling via spying and kidnapping random channelers would be alright. This one is ridiculous.

Edited by csarmi

The Three Oaths maybe? While defending the Tower from active attack is obviously fine, a premeditated strike against a fleeing foe would be far more questionable.

The oaths allow them to defend other sisters- they would just have to believe this is exactly what they're doing.

Edited by gwenifer

I have wondered for some time, wouldn't it be possible to make yourself invisible with a Mirror of Mists? Or make yourself look that small nobody will see you?

Ummm... Rand made himself invisible once- and Egwene too- but I don't remember if it was a Mirror.

I have wondered for some time, wouldn't it be possible to make yourself invisible with a Mirror of Mists? Or make yourself look that small nobody will see you?

Ummm... Rand made himself invisible once- and Egwene too- but I don't remember if it was a Mirror.

It wasn't called anything, as it was in Egwene's POV (though you might say Rand was laughing at his pun):

"Don’t move!" In a disgusted tone he added, "Burn him, it seems it ripples if you move. I’ll fasten it to the floor, but you still can’t jump about. I don’t know how big I can make it, and this is no time to find out." Somara’s mouth had fallen open, though she snapped it shut quickly.

Fasten what to the floor? What was he talking —? It came to her so suddenly that she forgot to wonder who the "him" was. Rand had woven saidin around her. Her eyes widened; she was breathing too quickly, but she could not stop. How close was it? Every shred of reason told her the taint could not seep out of whatever he channeled; he had touched her with saidin before, but if anything, that thought only made it worse. Instinctively she narrowed her shoulders and held her skirts close in front of her.

"What —? What did you do?" She was very proud of her voice, a trifle unsteady maybe, but nothing like the wail she wanted to let out.

"Look in that mirror," he laughed. Laughed!

Grumpily she obeyed – and gasped. There in the silvered glass was the gilded chair on its dais. Some of the rest of the room. But not her. "I’m... invisible," she breathed. Once Moiraine had hidden them all behind a screen of saidar, but how had he learned it?

I think it was called Bending the Light or something...something with "light". Or I could be imagining it...

Moiraine contributed the 'bending':

Setting the bay's saddle in line with the others, he unfastened his saddlebags and blanketroll from the cantle, turned, and stopped with a tingle of fear. The Ogier and the women were gone. So was the stove and all the wicker panniers from the packhorse. The hilltop was empty except for evening shadows.

With a numb hand he fumbled for his sword, dimly hearing Mat curse. Perrin had his axe out, his shaggy head swiveling to find the danger.

"Sheepherders," Lan muttered. Unconcernedly the Warder strode across the hilltop, and at his third step, he vanished.

Rand exchanged wide-eyed looks with Mat and Perrin, and then they were all darting for where the Warder had disappeared. Abruptly Rand skidded to a halt, taking another step when Mat ran into his back. Egwene looked up from setting the kettle atop the tiny stove. Nynaeve was closing the mantle on a second lit lantern. They were all there, Moiraine sitting cross-legged, Lan lounging on an elbow, Loial taking a book out of his pack.

Cautiously Rand looked behind him. The hillside was there as it had been, the shadowed trees, the lakes beyond sinking into darkness. He was afraid to step back, afraid they would all disappear again and perhaps this time he would not be able to find them. Edging carefully around him, Perrin let out a long breath.

Moiraine noticed the three of them standing there, gaping. Perrin looked abashed, and slipped his axe back into the heavy belt loop as if he thought no one might notice. A smile touched her lips. "It is a simple thing," she said, "a bending, so any eye looking at us sees around us, instead. We cannot have the eyes that will be out there seeing our lights tonight, and the Blight is no place to be in the dark."

"Moiraine Sedai says I might be able to do it." Egwene's eyes were bright. "She says I can handle enough of the One Power right now."

"Not without training, child," Moiraine cautioned. "The simplest matter concerning the One Power can be dangerous to the untrained, and to those around them." Perrin snorted, and Egwene looked so uncomfortable that Rand wondered if she had already been trying her abilities.

And then Janya contributed the 'light' bit:

"Good day, child. Do you have any more discoveries for us today?" As usual, Janya Frende spoke as though there was no time to get the words out. "Such remarkable strides you’ve made, you and Nynaeve, especially for Accepted. I still don’t see how Nynaeve does it, when she has so many difficulties with the Power, but I must say I’m delighted." Unlike most Brown sisters, often absentminded beyond their books and studies, Janya Sedai was quite neat, every short dark hair tidy around the ageless face that marked Aes Sedai who had worked long with the Power. But the slender woman’s appearance did hint at her Ajah. Her dress was plain gray, and stout wool – Browns seldom thought of clothes as more than decent covering – and even when she was talking to you, she wore a little frown, as though squinting in thought about something else entirely. She would have been pretty without that frown. "That way of wrapping yourself in light to become invisible. Remarkable. I’m sure someone will find how to stop the ripples, so you can move about with it. And Carenna is quite excited over that little eavesdropping trick of Nynaeve’s. Naughty of her, to think of that, but useful. Carenna thinks she sees how to adapt it to talk to someone at a distance. Think of it. To talk with someone a mile away! Or two, or even – " Anaiya touched her arm, and she cut off, blinking at the other Aes Sedai.

Hmm...? A lot of people don't remember that Fain and Elaida met? How come? He got the dagger from the Tower (in which event he also met and chatted with Alviarin for a bit). And upon leaving the tower, he claims that he has "left" something on her (Elaida) and Pedron Nial.

The 'how come' is pretty simple in that some of us haven't read the entire series more than once or twice, and sometimes it was quite awhile ago, and even possibly with a younger mind. Also, some of us just check-in to dragonmount at short intervals to see if we catch any of the latest theories or little tidbits that are interesting. Not everyone has the time to dedicate to delving (see what I did there? :biggrin: ) into the series as we may like, due to busy work/home lives.

In this case, I couldn't quite remember how Elaida/Fain all went down because I only done 2 read-throughs and last read the series something like 4 years ago. With the answers provided by the astute members here, my memory does return a bit. I wish I had the time to take and reread the series again before AMoL comes out late next year (just being a 'pessimistic realist' with the timeline....sorry :wink: ), but I highly doubt that I will, and I'll just jump right into the end of it all.

P.S. I'm not trying to be snippy or rude, so please don't read it that way. And please keep putting up with these 'simpler' questions from not so hardcore readers as its really great and informative. Thanks!

It wasn't called anything, as it was in Egwene's POV (though you might say Rand was laughing at his pun):

"Don’t move!" In a disgusted tone he added, "Burn him, it seems it ripples if you move. I’ll fasten it to the floor, but you still can’t jump about. I don’t know how big I can make it, and this is no time to find out." Somara’s mouth had fallen open, though she snapped it shut quickly.

Fasten what to the floor? What was he talking —? It came to her so suddenly that she forgot to wonder who the "him" was. Rand had woven saidin around her. Her eyes widened; she was breathing too quickly, but she could not stop. How close was it? Every shred of reason told her the taint could not seep out of whatever he channeled; he had touched her with saidin before, but if anything, that thought only made it worse. Instinctively she narrowed her shoulders and held her skirts close in front of her.

"What —? What did you do?" She was very proud of her voice, a trifle unsteady maybe, but nothing like the wail she wanted to let out.

"Look in that mirror," he laughed. Laughed!

Grumpily she obeyed – and gasped. There in the silvered glass was the gilded chair on its dais. Some of the rest of the room. But not her. "I’m... invisible," she breathed. Once Moiraine had hidden them all behind a screen of saidar, but how had he learned it?

I think it was called Bending the Light or something...something with "light". Or I could be imagining it...

Moiraine contributed the 'bending':

Setting the bay's saddle in line with the others, he unfastened his saddlebags and blanketroll from the cantle, turned, and stopped with a tingle of fear. The Ogier and the women were gone. So was the stove and all the wicker panniers from the packhorse. The hilltop was empty except for evening shadows.

With a numb hand he fumbled for his sword, dimly hearing Mat curse. Perrin had his axe out, his shaggy head swiveling to find the danger.

"Sheepherders," Lan muttered. Unconcernedly the Warder strode across the hilltop, and at his third step, he vanished.

Rand exchanged wide-eyed looks with Mat and Perrin, and then they were all darting for where the Warder had disappeared. Abruptly Rand skidded to a halt, taking another step when Mat ran into his back. Egwene looked up from setting the kettle atop the tiny stove. Nynaeve was closing the mantle on a second lit lantern. They were all there, Moiraine sitting cross-legged, Lan lounging on an elbow, Loial taking a book out of his pack.

Cautiously Rand looked behind him. The hillside was there as it had been, the shadowed trees, the lakes beyond sinking into darkness. He was afraid to step back, afraid they would all disappear again and perhaps this time he would not be able to find them. Edging carefully around him, Perrin let out a long breath.

Moiraine noticed the three of them standing there, gaping. Perrin looked abashed, and slipped his axe back into the heavy belt loop as if he thought no one might notice. A smile touched her lips. "It is a simple thing," she said, "a bending, so any eye looking at us sees around us, instead. We cannot have the eyes that will be out there seeing our lights tonight, and the Blight is no place to be in the dark."

"Moiraine Sedai says I might be able to do it." Egwene's eyes were bright. "She says I can handle enough of the One Power right now."

"Not without training, child," Moiraine cautioned. "The simplest matter concerning the One Power can be dangerous to the untrained, and to those around them." Perrin snorted, and Egwene looked so uncomfortable that Rand wondered if she had already been trying her abilities.

And then Janya contributed the 'light' bit:

"Good day, child. Do you have any more discoveries for us today?" As usual, Janya Frende spoke as though there was no time to get the words out. "Such remarkable strides you’ve made, you and Nynaeve, especially for Accepted. I still don’t see how Nynaeve does it, when she has so many difficulties with the Power, but I must say I’m delighted." Unlike most Brown sisters, often absentminded beyond their books and studies, Janya Sedai was quite neat, every short dark hair tidy around the ageless face that marked Aes Sedai who had worked long with the Power. But the slender woman’s appearance did hint at her Ajah. Her dress was plain gray, and stout wool – Browns seldom thought of clothes as more than decent covering – and even when she was talking to you, she wore a little frown, as though squinting in thought about something else entirely. She would have been pretty without that frown. "That way of wrapping yourself in light to become invisible. Remarkable. I’m sure someone will find how to stop the ripples, so you can move about with it. And Carenna is quite excited over that little eavesdropping trick of Nynaeve’s. Naughty of her, to think of that, but useful. Carenna thinks she sees how to adapt it to talk to someone at a distance. Think of it. To talk with someone a mile away! Or two, or even – " Anaiya touched her arm, and she cut off, blinking at the other Aes Sedai.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I always read Rand's weave of Folded light as the same thing Moraine did, or the same thing he used on Egwene. He uses it when trying to catch a glimpse of his attackers of the Sun Palace. Here's the passage.

Frantic shouts and clamor rose in every direction, some screaming to know what had happened, others crying that the Dragon Reborn had gone mad. The bundle of frustration in his head that was Alanna provided one small comfort. She was out of the Palace, as she had been all morning, maybe even outside the city walls. He wished Min was, too. Sometimes he saw men and women down one hallway or another, black-liveried servants mainly, running, falling down and scrambling up to run again. They did not see him. With the Power in him, he could hear every whisper. Including the whisper of soft boots running, light-footed.

Backing against the wall beside a long table topped with porcelain, he quickly wove Fire and Air around himself and held very still wrapped in Folded Light.

Maidens appeared, a stream of them, veiled, and ran by without seeing him. Toward his apartments. He could not let them accompany him; he had promised, but to let them fight, not to lead them to slaughter. When he found Demandred and Asmodean, all the Maidens could do was die, and he already had five names to learn and add to his list. Somara of the Bent Peak Daryne was already there. A promise he had had to make, a promise he had to keep. For that promise alone, he deserved to die!

Eagles and women can only be kept safe in cages, Lews Therin said as though quoting, then abruptly began weeping as the last of the Maidens vanished.

Rand moved on, sweeping back and forth through the palace in arcs that slowly moved away from his apartments. Folded Light used very little of the Power—so little no man could have felt the use of saidin unless right on top of it—and he used it whenever anyone seemed about to see him. His attackers had not struck at his rooms on the chance he would be there. They had eyes-and-ears in the Palace. Maybe it had been ta’veren work that pulled him out of the apartments, if a ta’veren could work on himself, and maybe just happenstance, but perhaps his tugging at the Pattern could bring his attackers within his grasp while they thought him dead or injured. Lews Therin chuckled at the thought. Rand could almost feel the man rubbing his hands in anticipation.

I mean, it sounds like he is invisible, because the maidens run right by him, but it could be something else.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I always read Rand's weave of Folded light as the same thing Moraine did, or the same thing he used on Egwene. He uses it when trying to catch a glimpse of his attackers of the Sun Palace. Here's the passage.

Frantic shouts and clamor rose in every direction, some screaming to know what had happened, others crying that the Dragon Reborn had gone mad. The bundle of frustration in his head that was Alanna provided one small comfort. She was out of the Palace, as she had been all morning, maybe even outside the city walls. He wished Min was, too. Sometimes he saw men and women down one hallway or another, black-liveried servants mainly, running, falling down and scrambling up to run again. They did not see him. With the Power in him, he could hear every whisper. Including the whisper of soft boots running, light-footed.

Backing against the wall beside a long table topped with porcelain, he quickly wove Fire and Air around himself and held very still wrapped in Folded Light.

Maidens appeared, a stream of them, veiled, and ran by without seeing him. Toward his apartments. He could not let them accompany him; he had promised, but to let them fight, not to lead them to slaughter. When he found Demandred and Asmodean, all the Maidens could do was die, and he already had five names to learn and add to his list. Somara of the Bent Peak Daryne was already there. A promise he had had to make, a promise he had to keep. For that promise alone, he deserved to die!

Eagles and women can only be kept safe in cages, Lews Therin said as though quoting, then abruptly began weeping as the last of the Maidens vanished.

Rand moved on, sweeping back and forth through the palace in arcs that slowly moved away from his apartments. Folded Light used very little of the Power—so little no man could have felt the use of saidin unless right on top of it—and he used it whenever anyone seemed about to see him. His attackers had not struck at his rooms on the chance he would be there. They had eyes-and-ears in the Palace. Maybe it had been ta’veren work that pulled him out of the apartments, if a ta’veren could work on himself, and maybe just happenstance, but perhaps his tugging at the Pattern could bring his attackers within his grasp while they thought him dead or injured. Lews Therin chuckled at the thought. Rand could almost feel the man rubbing his hands in anticipation.

I mean, it sounds like he is invisible, because the maidens run right by him, but it could be something else.

Yes, this was what I was referring to.

ToM, when Graendal realises Perrin & co. have escaped the dreamspike, she decides to spring the trap anyway. She thinks that her last chance to kill Perrin is Jaret Byar, who might be able to off Perrin despite his ta'veren-ess during the chaos of a battle.

How does she second guess that Perrin will return from Whitebridge and be there at all?

And, why does she believe that Perrin will come within killing distance of Byar?