DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Don't know. But in the books, it is usually Mazrim Taim, I think. Logain just got known by his first name, and Taim by his full name. Maybe because Logain was nobility, and if he was called "Ablar", then it would be "Ablar's Land". Now, it also is, but it doesn't directly let you think of a false Dragon. Or maybe it's just that people (read: RL people) refer to good people with their front name, and to evil people with their last name.

A random thought popped into my head and I doubt anyone will know the answer, but here goes: why is Logain always refered to by his first name, and Taim by his last name. It's never Mazrim and it's never Ablar. It's always Logain and Taim. Any reason for this?

Dunno. Maybe because word of Taim got out from Bashere, who is a general and therefore more likely to address men by last name, while Logain was a minor lord, and the nobility seem to be mostly referred to by given name. Usually it makes sense in the context of military association - like Bryne and Thom; one is military (last name), one is not (first) - but not always. Tam is Tam, maybe because he gave it all up. Asha'man are military, but Logain was famous before he went to the Black Tower. Agelmar Jagad is nobility...but then, so are Davram Bashere and Rodel Ituralde. It may be that RJ had a logical system for this that makes sense to him - for instance, Shienar wasn't always of the Borderlands, so maybe they have southland nobility traditions, where Bashere comes from ancient Blightborder stock. I'm just guessing. Ingtar Shinowa was also nobility in Shienar, and military.

PS - I've thought about this before, and I came to the conclusion that it didn't make sense. But RJ did have a lot of thought processes that were clear to him if not to the rest of us; I've been reminded of that a lot lately while digging through interviews. Things he thought were obvious, but the fandom was confused about.

Edited by Terez

Is there somewhere in the books that it describes hand signals black ajah use to identify themselves? I seem to remember there is by I can't find any reference to them anywhere.

This is the one case I remember:

That was not why Delana stared, of course. The woman held her hands at her sides, but with thumbs thrust hard between the first two fingers. Delana had never expected to see that from any woman who did not wear the shawl, and this Halima Saranov could not even channel.

What info do we have on the strength needed for various weaves? For example, in one of the discussions there is talk about using gateways to cut or using Air blades. Do we know which would require more effort to achieve a similar effect?

We do know that you need a certain strength to weave Gateways - many of the Kin and weaker AS have to link to do so.

Perhaps this is because different elements (spirt/ earth, etc.) are required.

Anybody who has minimum OP strength can presumably weave a basic flow of air.

Is there somewhere in the books that it describes hand signals black ajah use to identify themselves? I seem to remember there is by I can't find any reference to them anywhere.

They sniff in Morse code and punctuate the sniffs with skirt smoothings as I suggested elsewhere.

ok, well my follow on question from that is related to this quote from ACoS, chpt 19, when Annoura first meets Cadsuane, from Merana's POV

"I am only here to advise Berelain, though the truth of it is, she ignored my advice by coming in the first place." The Tarboner woman held her head up, voice confident. She was rubber her thumbs for all she was worth, though. She could not do well at the negotiating table if she was that transparent.

Then later

Merana looked at annoura with interest. A good manyh of the Gray Ajah had scurried from capital to capital after the war, in a futile effor to hold together the alliance that had formed against the Aiel, but she had never known aAnnoura was one of them. She could not be that bad a negotiator if she was.

Is the rubbing of the thumb, actually a cry of help in case either of them are Black Ajah? A thumb can be rubbed against the middle finger, thus causing the same action Delana saw, albeit a little more discretely.

Another scrap to consider is the visits she paid to Masema in secret and him being controlled.

I haven't seen the case for Annoura being a Black put forward, is it worth a little bit of merit?

A random thought popped into my head and I doubt anyone will know the answer, but here goes: why is Logain always refered to by his first name, and Taim by his last name. It's never Mazrim and it's never Ablar. It's always Logain and Taim. Any reason for this?

Name order varies in the real world. Many if not most Far Eastern countries, and parts of Africa, put the family name first, while Europe and the Americas put the family name last. So 'Logain' could perhaps be his family name.

(Sometimes, public figures such as sportsmen from the Far East sometimes adopt the Western convention.)

Edited by FarShainMael

ok, well my follow on question from that is related to this quote from ACoS, chpt 19, when Annoura first meets Cadsuane, from Merana's POV

"I am only here to advise Berelain, though the truth of it is, she ignored my advice by coming in the first place." The Tarboner woman held her head up, voice confident. She was rubber her thumbs for all she was worth, though. She could not do well at the negotiating table if she was that transparent.

Then later

Merana looked at annoura with interest. A good manyh of the Gray Ajah had scurried from capital to capital after the war, in a futile effor to hold together the alliance that had formed against the Aiel, but she had never known aAnnoura was one of them. She could not be that bad a negotiator if she was.

Is the rubbing of the thumb, actually a cry of help in case either of them are Black Ajah? A thumb can be rubbed against the middle finger, thus causing the same action Delana saw, albeit a little more discretely.

Another scrap to consider is the visits she paid to Masema in secret and him being controlled.

I haven't seen the case for Annoura being a Black put forward, is it worth a little bit of merit?

Good catch!

On names: It's a case of how a person introduces themself. Let's call me John Smith. I can introduce myself as John, Johnny, John Smith, or Mr Smith. Whichever someone is accustomed to because how they think of me. Compare how Rand initially called Fain "Padan Fain" in the sense that they were acquainted, but not close, and Fain was his elder. We can assume that when they met, Fain did a bow and named himself Padan Fain, maybe with a kenning. Fain never had a personal closeness with Rand, so he calls Rand "Al'Thor" much like Niall and Elaida.

The Forsaken had trouble with calling him Lews Therin, but, iirc, have since accommodated.

Siuan thought of Rand as "Al'Thor" because it was a formal thing, but Egwene sees the uncertain teenager she was close friends with, and still calls him "Rand." Something admirable, I think, because she perceives his thoughts as those of her troubled friend, not a powerful political leader.

Strangers and formal acquaintances will use surnames, friends and family use given names.

Siuan thought of Rand as "Al'Thor" because it was a formal thing, but Egwene sees the uncertain teenager she was close friends with, and still calls him "Rand." Something admirable, I think, because she perceives his thoughts as those of her troubled friend, not a powerful political leader.

actually during rereads every so often Egwene refers to him as Al'thor

actually during rereads every so often Egwene refers to him as Al'thor

Really now? Can you cite a couple examples? Not doubting, I'm genuinely interested to see it.

Then later

I've never thought of this before or seen it mentioned, even amongst discussions of whether she was BA or not. It makes sense that she'd be trying to find another Black Sister at that time. You'd think someone somewhere would have made this connection before. If it's not coincidence (and I'm betting it's not) we could have figured out she was BA way back in 1996. :rolleyes:

As far as Egwene calling Rand 'al'Thor'... I cannot recall any time she ever did this to his face or even in discussions with Aes Sedai. Perhaps in TGS or ToM?

On names: It's a case of how a person introduces themself. Let's call me John Smith. I can introduce myself as John, Johnny, John Smith, or Mr Smith. Whichever someone is accustomed to because how they think of me. Compare how Rand initially called Fain "Padan Fain" in the sense that they were acquainted, but not close, and Fain was his elder. We can assume that when they met, Fain did a bow and named himself Padan Fain, maybe with a kenning. Fain never had a personal closeness with Rand, so he calls Rand "Al'Thor" much like Niall and Elaida.

The Forsaken had trouble with calling him Lews Therin, but, iirc, have since accommodated.

Strangers and formal acquaintances will use surnames, friends and family use given names.

There are many cultures (approximately 2.5 billion people spread across two continents) where surnames are used only in ceremonial situations. Total strangers will generally address each other and introduce themselves by given names and use only given names (maybe with an honorific) in most situations except on death certificates, passport applications, etc. Family and friends will generally use nicknames or diminutives.

Probably is stupid but I thought of this when posting for the newbie about to start WOT.

I seem to remember that New Spring was to be one of 3 prequels. After RJ died I was so devo that I wouldn't google about him at all because not only was I not going to get the ending, but I wasn't going to get the full back story either.

When I finally came to terms with my grief years later and thought I might try an earlier series of RJ's, I was ecstatic to hear that Brandon was finishing RJ's work. God bless that man!

So is my recollection about the other prequels correct? To tell the truth I'd forgotten about it because I was so happy about the series getting finshed.

Also, if yes, has Brandon ever said anything about those books? I know the outriggers have been ruled out but maybe an arm can be twisted... :wub:

Edited by YouMayCallMeElci

If keeping the knowledge of Traveling is so important, and it is, Why doesn't Egwene Travel halfway to Ebou Dar to intercept the raiding party?

She didn't know when the raid would occur for starters. She wouldn't have known where the staging area would be either. And, she wouldn't go close to the Seanchan, especially in their territory. Besides that, she couldn't go there and just sit on her hands for weeks on end in the hope that she could stop them that way. She would have pee'd her pants any time she saw a raken or heard that Seanchan drawl. It would be too unsafe to send someone there in her place, and she wasn't in a position to go there herself being Elaida's prisoner at the time.

If keeping the knowledge of Traveling is so important, and it is, Why doesn't Egwene Travel halfway to Ebou Dar to intercept the raiding party?

She didn't know when the raid would occur for starters. She wouldn't have known where the staging area would be either. And, she wouldn't go close to the Seanchan, especially in their territory. Besides that, she couldn't go there and just sit on her hands for weeks on end in the hope that she could stop them that way. She would have pee'd her pants any time she saw a raken or heard that Seanchan drawl. It would be too unsafe to send someone there in her place, and she wasn't in a position to go there herself being Elaida's prisoner at the time.

I think LM was asking why she didn't tried to intercept the remaining raken on their way back, after the raid was finished, and destroy them on their way back to Ebou Dar.

Well, she was weakened in the fighting, not to mention the forkroot, it was night and the raken were almost impossible to locate(or high enough to be out of range for an attack), and they didn't knew their return route.

And once she was back in the camp, they had more important stuff to do(or so they thought).

I think LM was asking why she didn't tried to intercept the remaining raken on their way back, after the raid was finished, and destroy them on their way back to Ebou Dar.

Well, she was weakened in the fighting, not to mention the forkroot, it was night and the raken were almost impossible to locate(or high enough to be out of range for an attack), and they didn't knew their return route.

And once she was back in the camp, they had more important stuff to do(or so they thought).

I did mean on their way back to Ebou Dar.

"It's dark" is not an excuse, the way back to Ebou Dar would take several days with rest stops along the way - that was mentioned by the raid commander.

Back in her camp, Egwene had enough AS to order around that could do the task, she didn't HAVE to go herself (though she could have the forkroot Healed out of her). In terms of power, she still has the sa'angreal, with that you can blast raken miles high or at least set-up the mother of all lightning-storms for them.

There were many options how to get back at the air-borne raiding party, but the didn't think about it -- RJ didn't think about it.

Probably is stupid but I thought of this when posting for the newbie about to start WOT.

I seem to remember that New Spring was to be one of 3 prequels. After RJ died I was so devo that I wouldn't google about him at all because not only was I not going to get the ending, but I wasn't going to get the full back story either.

When I finally came to terms with my grief years later and thought I might try an earlier series of RJ's, I was ecstatic to hear that Brandon was finishing RJ's work. God bless that man!

So is my recollection about the other prequels correct? To tell the truth I'd forgotten about it because I was so happy about the series getting finshed.

Also, if yes, has Brandon ever said anything about those books? I know the outriggers have been ruled out but maybe an arm can be twisted... :wub:

RJ did have plans for two more prequels and a few outrigger novels. Afaik it hasn't been fiinally determined (BS will leave to Harriet to decide) but the comments do far point to these boooks not beeing written. I think they mentioned that they don't want to "exploit" RJs legacy.

I did mean on their way back to Ebou Dar.

"It's dark" is not an excuse, the way back to Ebou Dar would take several days with rest stops along the way - that was mentioned by the raid commander.

Back in her camp, Egwene had enough AS to order around that could do the task, she didn't HAVE to go herself (though she could have the forkroot Healed out of her). In terms of power, she still has the sa'angreal, with that you can blast raken miles high or at least set-up the mother of all lightning-storms for them.

There were many options how to get back at the air-borne raiding party, but the didn't think about it -- RJ didn't think about it.

csarmi is also right. Plot hole. They needed Travel as well. How where they to attack the WT again without gateways? And I'm talking about a massive attack, not a mini-raid like the first one.