DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

So? What would that prove?

1) If the forkroot tea affects those who can learn to channel, the Seanchan would be stupid not to know that the forkroot tea affects sul'dam candidates AND da'mane candidates. So where's the surprise? They make everyone drink the tea, and those affected get tested for sul'dam or da'mane with the a'dam.

2) If the forkroot tea only affects those who started to channel (or reached the brink of it, like a lot of sul'dam did), how would they learn that? They wouldn't make the sul'dam drink that, just like they wouldn't test sul'dam with the a'dam after a point.

3) If they start catching sul'dam who are on the brink, that only proves that sul'dam might turn into beasts too. It wouldn't be hard to ideologize that they decided to channel and thus turned into an animal. So what. There are more learners then sparkers, it's not like they wouldn't have enough sul'dam left.

How did Aragar find out Graendal's hiding place?

-through Moridin

-through Graendal

-figguring it out on own

Also, when did Arangar find out? And when did Arangar arrive?

For sure before Rand balefiring the place for both; also after Graendal's Gathering Storm POV (for both).

So I'm reading through TGS, and I noticed a scene where Rand has a vision of Mat, and he notices that the short dark woman is no longer with him. My question is: Why doesn't he recognize her as Tuon? He's seen her as Semirhage's disguise, so he knows what she looks like. Why doesn't he notice the resemblance at least?

I think he only sees Semirhage at a distance and then gets his arm blasted off, so I don't think we can blame him his memory of her is a bit hazy. I would have imagined Semirhage as Tuon would have dressed quite differently from Tuon on the run, plus she would have probably been bald, whereas the real Tuon was growing her hair.

Oh, okay. I still think he should have noticed something (after all, he had a detailed description of what Tuon looked like and he used it to make sure it was her he was meeting), but I guess it's not implausible that he didn't make the connection at the time.

Edited by Rose

^^Wish I could answer that & I'm sorry to ask another question before yours has been answered.

I was glancing through Leigh's re-read at Tor & she pointed something out that may change my opinion of Faile from one of the most annoying characters to just mildly irritating. None of the people commenting could offer proof one way or another.

My question is, is it ever pointed out that Faile is aware that Perrin can smell emotions? I always assumed she knew but now that I think about it I don't remember her knowing anything more that he has a very good sense of smell.

If she knew, then she is an obnoxious woman always throwing anger & jealously at him & then feigning ignorance. If not, she is unaware he can smell it & is outwardly always doing her best to project kindness. It completely changes her character.

I'm fairly certain it's never said in the books, but does anyone know if there's an RJ or BS quote saying one way or another?

She's just a typical Saldaean Wowan throwing a tanrum and trying to play at game of houses.

My question is while captured in salidar, why didn't Moggy just grab a BA and have her remove her a'dam?

She doesn't know every BA agent there is. Maybe she didn't know how to contact any of them in the Salidar Camp? And I'm not quite sure, but does she even know how to open the collar? None of the BA certainly would not know how.

How did Aragar find out Graendal's hiding place?

-through Moridin

-through Graendal

-figguring it out on own

Also, when did Arangar find out? And when did Arangar arrive?

For sure before Rand balefiring the place for both; also after Graendal's Gathering Storm POV (for both).

Through Graendal seems likely--in KoD;3, At The Gardens, we see Aran'gar establishing an alliance of sorts with Graendal. More interaction clearly occured off screen (Graendal references this in her POV in tGS), and after Aran'gar was driven out its clear that she approach Graendal or was offered help.

My question is while captured in salidar, why didn't Moggy just grab a BA and have her remove her a'dam?

The most likely explanation is that she was scared and looking for a way to get free without the Shadow learning of her failures (and she had good reason to fear--look what happened when they did learn. She got herself mindtrapped and raped).

The other explanation is that possibly Moggy didn't know any Black Ajah in Salidar, nor the signs one could give to be approached by one. We know the Forsaken have various degrees of knowledge of modern Darkfriends, and we see through Liandrin that Moggy doesn't know who had given her her orders in the Tower, displaying a relative lack of knowledge of the Black Ajah, and its possible that she didn't even know who Liandrin was originally, but found her when she felt her channel and after investigating as she did with Elayne and Nynaeve.

A complete lack of knowledge seems strange to me, so I go with the first explanation--still, its also possible.

^^Wish I could answer that & I'm sorry to ask another question before yours has been answered.

I was glancing through Leigh's re-read at Tor & she pointed something out that may change my opinion of Faile from one of the most annoying characters to just mildly irritating. None of the people commenting could offer proof one way or another.

My question is, is it ever pointed out that Faile is aware that Perrin can smell emotions? I always assumed she knew but now that I think about it I don't remember her knowing anything more that he has a very good sense of smell.

If she knew, then she is an obnoxious woman always throwing anger & jealously at him & then feigning ignorance. If not, she is unaware he can smell it & is outwardly always doing her best to project kindness. It completely changes her character.

I'm fairly certain it's never said in the books, but does anyone know if there's an RJ or BS quote saying one way or another?

She knows he has a heightened sense of smell, but not that he can smell emotions.

She knows he has a heightened sense of smell, but not that he can smell emotions.

Thanks Luckers. I now must completely change my opinion of her. Although the plotline is still extremely too long & I still don't like her, I cannot hate her like I did.

As Leigh suggested, who here hasn't gotten angry with their significant other but pretended not to be? It changes everything about how I thought about her.

Is it ever said what the difference (if any) between the Oath Rod & the binder Sammael gave to Sevanna was?

Specifically the number 3 on the Oath Rod vs. the number 111 on the other?

Is there any difference between them & the the other 7 Rods? Is one meant to "mark" more severe criminals while others are less or more severe?

Gallina is unsure about the "111" Rod when she sees it, but she must have sworn on something that released her & swore her anew.

I know this isn't in the books, but I'm again asking if anyone knows about an RJ or BS quote. Did they ever say anything more than we know from the books about the 9 Rods, like were they varied in their degrees of punishment?

Is it ever said what the difference (if any) between the Oath Rod & the binder Sammael gave to Sevanna was?

Specifically the number 3 on the Oath Rod vs. the number 111 on the other?

Is there any difference between them & the the other 7 Rods? Is one meant to "mark" more severe criminals while others are less or more severe?

Gallina is unsure about the "111" Rod when she sees it, but she must have sworn on something that released her & swore her anew.

I know this isn't in the books, but I'm again asking if anyone knows about an RJ or BS quote. Did they ever say anything more than we know from the books about the 9 Rods, like were they varied in their degrees of punishment?

Firstly, a binder is not one of the Rods of Dominion. The 9 Rods were regional governers (the rods likely being symbols of their office, like how the Amyrlin Seat is so named). Binders were ter'angreal used on criminal Aes Sedai, and the numbering was probably a way of catalogueing and keeping track of them (binders have a lot of room for abuse). There is no functional difference between binders, though it remains uncertain if a binder could release an oath sworn on another binder--Galina fears this, which is why she returned to the Shaido.

Firstly, a binder is not one of the Rods of Dominion. The 9 Rods were regional governers (the rods likely being symbols of their office, like how the Amyrlin Seat is so named).

OK, that makes a lot of sense, though the Tamyrlin seems to be able to command or at least summon them.

Binders were ter'angreal used on criminal Aes Sedai, and the numbering was probably a way of catalogueing and keeping track of them (binders have a lot of room for abuse).

I never thought of that, it also makes a lot of sense.

There is no functional difference between binders, though it remains uncertain if a binder could release an oath sworn on another binder--Galina fears this, which is why she returned to the Shaido.

This, however, is where I must most respectfully disagree. The original AS Oath Rod (#3) clearly releases & reswears the BA in ToM.

This actually supports your claim that "There is no functional difference between binders", though it seems to disprove your claim that "it remains uncertain if a binder could release an oath sworn on another binder", since the original "3" binder serves quite well in exposing the BA.

I was just asking if there was any difference between the Rods & your first point seems to have answered it perfectly.

I can only conclude that the DO/BA has one of the other seven Rods (which I must now admit functions identically no matter what number it has on it) that it uses to swear the three Black Oaths.

There is no functional difference between binders, though it remains uncertain if a binder could release an oath sworn on another binder--Galina fears this, which is why she returned to the Shaido.

This, however, is where I must most respectfully disagree. The original AS Oath Rod (#3) clearly releases & reswears the BA in ToM.

This actually supports your claim that "There is no functional difference between binders", though it seems to disprove your claim that "it remains uncertain if a binder could release an oath sworn on another binder", since the original "3" binder serves quite well in exposing the BA.

I was just asking if there was any difference between the Rods & your first point seems to have answered it perfectly.

I can only conclude that the DO/BA has one of the other seven Rods (which I must now admit functions identically no matter what number it has on it) that it uses to swear the three Black Oaths.

Again, there are no 'other seven Rods'. There could be as many Binders (Oath Rods) as you can imagine out there. The Rods of Dominion were nine in number, but they have nothing to do with Binders.

Regarding your point here, the BA actually used the Binder in the Tower to release themselves of the Three Oaths and replace them with Oaths to the DO, so it isn't surprising that the same Binder worked to expose them.

Edited by yoniy0

How do you know that there are only 9 oath rods/binders/whatever they call them in different ages? Given that one of them is numbered 111, I assumed there must have been at least 111 of them, probably more (like a couple hundred or something), but most of them got destroyed or lost in the Breaking so there are only 2 left that we know of.

Also, the fact that the AS oath rod releases and reswears the BA doesn't prove that two different binders can be interchanged, does it? This is the oath rod they've been sworn on all along, so they're just reusing the same, not a different one.

Or maybe I'm understand this completely wrong, and in that case I apologize.

Edit: And yoniy0 already said all that.

I do wonder about the whole Galina thing, though. I didn't understand why she didn't unswear herself as soon as she got her hands on the binder in Malden. Why did she wait until Therava showed up to capture her?

Edited by Rose