DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I recall there was once a theory about one of the gaidin taking it and learning to channel through it. Could be a way for egwene to infiltrate the black tower to find out what's going on there... I always found it weird she's made no moves to recon either the bt or the seanchan

has rand stated , to egwene or anyone else since tGS, that he actually intends to seal the bore after he breaks the seals?

Or is this just assumed fact because we know he was thinking about it/min&herid were researching/etc

Edited by Dewairah

has rand stated , to egwene or anyone else since tGS, that he actually intends to seal the bore after he breaks the seals?

Or is this just assumed fact because we know he was thinking about it/min&herid were researching/etc

Yes, he did, though perhaps not very clearly.

"A risk we must take. Clear away the rubble. The Bore must be opened fully again before it can be sealed.

-- TOM, The Amyrlin's Anger, p. 84

-- dwn

Yes, he did, though perhaps not very clearly.

"A risk we must take. Clear away the rubble. The Bore must be opened fully again before it can be sealed.

-- TOM, The Amyrlin's Anger, p. 84

-- dwn

and

ToM

"Callandor," he said. "It plays a part in this. You have to find out how. I cannot seal the the Bore the way I tried last time. I'm missing something, something vital. Find it for me."

There are probably more examples as well.

Edited by Suttree

I have a feeling that if they were all three broken, we'd have known.

Incidentally, the Seal Elayne and Nynaeve had might've been broken because of the hard treatment it got. They didn't know that it's became fragile (what Moiraine showed Rand at he beginning of TFoH).

I would ASSUME that male dreamers could exist. Dreamers in and of themselves are pretty rare (egwene being the only notable non-aiel randlander in some time, with the wise ones being the only others), even amongst people who can channel. (IIRC, channeling isn't required explicitly but it seems to help).

Perrin has the talent of dreaming. Entering T'A'R is unrelated to the OP; i.e., not having the ability to channel does not exclude one from being a dreamer. Slayer is able to enter and manipulate the dream as well. The difference between the wolf dream and T'A'R is splitting hairs, as it all is part of the same realm, imho. Perrin also sees possible futures in his dreams or is warned about things he would not otherwise be aware of. (the crux of the matter, no?)

My best to all the other WoT fans out there!

Actually, as we mention from time to time, a Talent is something only a channeler can have. So Perrin isn't a Dreamerwalker per se, although he can indeed enter TAR at will (if not quite as easily as Egwene does) as a wolfbrother.

Dreaming, on the other hand, is the Talent of having prophetic dreams, which he doesn't have for more than technical reasons (he does see visions in TAR, but that's not the same).

Edited by yoniy0

Actually, as we mention from time to time, a Talent is something only a channeler can have. So Perrin isn't a Dreamerwalker per se, although he can indeed enter TAR at will (if not quite as easily as Egwene does) as a wolfbrother.

Dreaming, on the other hand, is the Talent of having prophetic dreams, which he doesn't have for more than technical reasons (he does see visions in TAR, but that's not the same).

Bair cannot channel, yet she is still considered a Dreamwalker. I've never seen it claimed before that 'Talent' only applies to channeling.

-- dwn

Bair cannot channel, yet she is still considered a Dreamwalker. I've never seen it claimed before that 'Talent' only applies to channeling.

-- dwn

Some AS seem to think it is a Talent. You know how they are...

But the wolves are the real masters of the TaR, and they were from the dawn of time, when OP wasn't even used.

So Perrin(wolfbrother)>any other Dreamwalker(after he will complete his training, of course).

Just finished re-reading tGH and a minor thing stuck out when Rand, Verin, Ingtar etc. visit Stedding Tsofu:

It appears that Verin delves the ogier who had been affected by Machin Chin in the ways, but this was in a stedding so she would not have access to the one power. Was this a mistake or am I missing something? Maybe Verin had a ter'angreal that acted as a well? or maybe she was just examining him as a doctor would, i.e., look in his eyes?

I've never seen it claimed before that 'Talent' only applies to channeling.

We do have this:

Jim says of Talents: “A Talent is a special ability with the One Power. While the name is used for other things, a Talent is, in truth, something which is inborn in the person and not something that can be learned.” And there is mention of the Wheel throwing out what it needs on occasion, and there’s the phrase, “The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills.” The Wheel can give and take as it needs. I believe that the potential for a Talent is there, but it doesn't necessarily manifest each time a soul is born. If the Wheel needs the Talent, the Talent is there. But if the Wheel doesn't need it, it lies dormant.

EDIT:

It appears that Verin delves the ogier who had been affected by Machin Chin in the ways, but this was in a stedding so she would not have access to the one power. Was this a mistake or am I missing something?

It's been asked before. Apparently, she just touched him and felt what she did, no delving required.

Edited by yoniy0

If you go over them, you'll see RJ usually referred to other stuff like Min's viewings and Hurin's skill as 'abilities'. In written medium, there's also a distinction between 'Talent' and 'talent'.

Having said that, feel free to present supporting quotes. I might be misinterpreting what I read.

If you go over them, you'll see RJ usually referred to other stuff like Min's viewings and Hurin's skill as 'abilities'. In written medium, there's also a distinction between 'Talent' and 'talent'.

Having said that, feel free to present supporting quotes. I might be misinterpreting what I read.

It could be simple confusion since in-world it's nearly always Aes Sedai who refer to 'Talents', and nearly always in the context of people who can channel. Is seeing ta'veren a Talent, a talent or an ability? Siuan calls it a Talent, but she could be wrong--on the surface it doesn't seem to be tied to channelling, and Loial could also sense ta'veren, though perhaps not in the same way. It's easy to see how Aes Sedai might link random supernatural abilities to Talents, where RJ makes a semantic distinction.

-- dwn