DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Do we know that swearing to the DO involves the OP and thus will be affected by stilling/gentling? Non-chennelers swear to the DO as well, and it would make sence that they were just as bound to their oaths (to DO) as the channelers were.

Yes, we know they bind themselves with the Dark Oaths on the Oath Rod. That's why the Black Ajah hunters use it to remove the oaths and reswear them on their suspects and why Verin was looking for the Oath Rod before committing suicide.

Another thought. Wasn't Verin aware that stilling can now be healed? If so, wouldn't stilling and healing be a better way to remove her oaths to DO rather than suicide? Since she had such a good knowledge of BA, she would have been able to find sisters to trust to help her with this.

It wouldn't have been in the last hour of her life. But I actually had an idea how it could work. Egwene should have linked with Verin, then create a gateway to the BA-hunters, who had the Oath Rod (that was why Verin couldn't find it), help Verin unswearing the oaths, then go to Nynaeve, so that she could heal Verin (or maybe Doesine could do that...)

did the AoL people like LTT etc know about the light and the dark before the bore was created?

If there was no dark one - how would they have known about the "dark"?

If there was no dark - how would they have really known about or appreciated the "light" ?

Was the whole light/dark theology something that came about after the bore was drilled?

They didn't knew about the DO.

Oaths can be removed by unswearing on any oath rod, I believe. They can even be removed (or sworn) by using an oath rod dreamt up in TAR.

What makes you think that?

Can't remember the exact reference or find the quote but it was clarified. I'm sure Luckers or Terez et al will dig it up.

No, because we are lazy. It's in my sig > reference library > interview database > one power

There is no such quote there. I got to that page and searched for 'oath'.

It wouldn't have been in the last hour of her life. But I actually had an idea how it could work. Egwene should have linked with Verin, then create a gateway to the BA-hunters, who had the Oath Rod (that was why Verin couldn't find it), help Verin unswearing the oaths, then go to Nynaeve, so that she could heal Verin (or maybe Doesine could do that...)

Probably. But Egwene had a very bad day. That day and the one after that, she did one brainless thing after the other. It's amazing to read, really. I wonder if it's just plotholes upon plotholes instead. (I mean such stupid things happen I'd rather call them plotholes they seem so implausible)

Edited by csarmi

actually, makes me wonder why couldn't someone just Heal Verin straight up? would that action trigger the "Oath Seizures"?

Since Siuan(low in power, Blue Ajah) managed to heal Bryne when he was poisoned by the Seachan ninja assassin, Egwene could have asked for some help, after moving her to another location.

I think Verin thought about that, but couldn't tell her because that would have nullify the last hour thing.

Maybe she made the "Oath Rod" comment so that Egwene could see she wanted to live, by using the rod or other mean(healing, etc).

Since it would been another's ideea, I don;t think they would have problems with the 'oaths seizures'. Since the DO was sure they can't betray him, I don't see why he would put a late activation kill switch in case someone managed to betray him.

Alas, no such luck. But by dying, her sacrifice had more meaning, unlike another fake self sacrifice I could add here.

actually, makes me wonder why couldn't someone just Heal Verin straight up? would that action trigger the "Oath Seizures"?

Since Siuan(low in power, Blue Ajah) managed to heal Bryne when he was poisoned by the Seachan ninja assassin, Egwene could have asked for some help, after moving her to another location.

I think Verin thought about that, but couldn't tell her because that would have nullify the last hour thing.

Maybe she made the "Oath Rod" comment so that Egwene could see she wanted to live, by using the rod or other mean(healing, etc).

Since it would been another's ideea, I don;t think they would have problems with the 'oaths seizures'. Since the DO was sure they can't betray him, I don't see why he would put a late activation kill switch in case someone managed to betray him.

Alas, no such luck. But by dying, her sacrifice had more meaning, unlike another fake self sacrifice I could add here.

Are you saying Moraine's actions were fake? Or is it someone else?

Now I'm kind of upset about this potential loophole.

Step 1: Take poison that will kill you in one hour

Step 2: Betray all of your DF secrets

Step 3: Wait for someone to heal you...

I guess it isn't that simple. you probably couldn't betray if you expected healing, but I don't see why a third party couldn't just swoop in and do it.

Oaths can be removed by unswearing on any oath rod, I believe. They can even be removed (or sworn) by using an oath rod dreamt up in TAR.

What makes you think that?

Can't remember the exact reference or find the quote but it was clarified. I'm sure Luckers or Terez et al will dig it up.

No, because we are lazy. It's in my sig > reference library > interview database > one power

There is no such quote there. I got to that page and searched for 'oath'.

I may have just put it on the Aes Sedai page then, and probably on the Tel'aran'rhiod page. (Again, I'm being lazy, sorry.) It's an RJ quote.

I can't wait until the new database is done; it should solve all of the remaining 'can't find it' problems, especially once we really go over and perfect the tags. (It will be a search engine, but you can also view full interviews, and there will be tags on each question/entry that work like the categories on the current database, but more specific, since making more categories doesn't inhibit the process in any way, unlike with the current format.) And speaking of that, I should get to work...

I may have just put it on the Aes Sedai page then, and probably on the Tel'aran'rhiod page. (Again, I'm being lazy, sorry.) It's an RJ quote.

I can't wait until the new database is done; it should solve all of the remaining 'can't find it' problems, especially once we really go over and perfect the tags. (It will be a search engine, but you can also view full interviews, and there will be tags on each question/entry that work like the categories on the current database, but more specific, since making more categories doesn't inhibit the process in any way, unlike with the current format.) And speaking of that, I should get to work...

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for your (and whoever else is working on that project) hard work.

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for your (and whoever else is working on that project) hard work.

Matt aka Tamyrlin and his brother-in-law have been working on the design. (Which is awesome, despite a few kinks which we have been working out as we go along.) Marie Curie has taken over research for me the last year or so, digging up old RJ reports and even old Brandon reports and putting them on the Wiki (the only editing we do there). Ted aka WinespringBrother is helping with data entry, and hopefully a couple of others (including Marie) will jump in on that soon. That's what I'm doing right now; I'm entering everything from Twitter since that's the pain-in-the-ass stuff (because of all the links and short clips of text) and I want to get it over with. I'm almost caught up to March where I stopped keeping track. Can't wait to be done with that; entering signing reports will seem like a breeze after that. I'm also supervising the project to make sure everything is consistent, organized, and pretty. Also, I'm recruiting help on Theoryland because we have a bunch of untranscribed interviews from audio and video, both Brandon and RJ stuff, but no one has done anything yet.

Matt aka Tamyrlin and his brother-in-law have been working on the design. (Which is awesome, despite a few kinks which we have been working out as we go along.) Marie Curie has taken over research for me the last year or so, digging up old RJ reports and even old Brandon reports and putting them on the Wiki (the only editing we do there). Ted aka WinespringBrother is helping with data entry, and hopefully a couple of others (including Marie) will jump in on that soon. That's what I'm doing right now; I'm entering everything from Twitter since that's the pain-in-the-ass stuff (because of all the links and short clips of text) and I want to get it over with. I'm almost caught up to March where I stopped keeping track. Can't wait to be done with that; entering signing reports will seem like a breeze after that. I'm also supervising the project to make sure everything is consistent, organized, and pretty. Also, I'm recruiting help on Theoryland because we have a bunch of untranscribed interviews from audio and video, both Brandon and RJ stuff, but no one has done anything yet.

Cheers Terez! Much appreciated, can't tell you enough how cool that will be to see finished...

Q: Is it true that the Three Oaths is why Aes Sedai [mumble mumble] I thought it might be because, when you try to avoid the Three Oaths, you get a lot of dangerous situation [mumble mumble]...

RJ: No…now you have to be careful with this, because this is a kind of spoiler for people that haven’t read far enough, but the Oath Rod is what was in the Age of Legends called a binder. It was used on criminals. If you committed a violent act, or some sort of criminal act, with a binder, someone who could channel could be constrained from ever doing that again, and the result of having three of the Oaths, is the ageless appearance. One would not produce agelessness, but even one would shorten life, and three of them put a cap on Aes Sedai’s lives, on how long they could live.

[/qoute]

here's the quote. I don't know what was wrong with the link with you but it worked fine with me.

RJ pointed out that is bound channelers.

For the Light's sake...

Q: What happens to objects left in Tel'aran'rhiod? Could an Aes Sedai free herself from the Three Oaths in Tel'aran'rhiod by creating an Oath Rod?

RJ: The only way for an object to enter Tel’aran’rhiod would be for it to be carried there by someone who entered physically rather than through a dream state. If left there, it would remain until it was retrieved by someone else who entered physically. And, yes, an Aes Sedai could free herself of the Three Oaths with an Oath Rod created in Tel’aran’rhiod, but remember that relatively few sisters actually have access to the World of Dreams, and for those who do want to remove the Three Oaths – sisters joining the Black Ajah – there is the Oath Rod in the White Tower to serve that purpose.

All good?

Now, Terez, I probably won't have time until Wednesday, but I don't mind attempting to transcribe a few interviews. I won't know the people doing the asking by ear, but if that doesn't matter to you, email me and we'll set something up.

Finally,

I've been re-reading New Spring and a question popped up. In the beginning battle scene a Tairen lord comes and relays orders for Lan's group. He is rude and it could have turned out rather badly for Lan's forces. Was that Weiramon?

I don't believe so. We don't get a description of him other than his boots, so he could be any DF Tairen.

Thanks yoniy0. We've had a few volunteers already, but of course we have many more interviews needing transcription than volunteers. I'll email you some time before Wednesday (we might get more volunteers in the meantime, so I'll have a better idea closer to then which ones still need transcription).

I looked over some interviews although I'm not sure why this question is bothering me but it's simple so I thought I would ask it here.

Men alone cannot Link but up to thirteen women can link together before needing a man involved in the circle. Now how many men can link with only one woman, up to thirteen men before another woman is needed or not?

Edited by KaptainKaos

I had thought that Turin because I can't recall two male Forsaken ever thinking of linking with only one female but I wasn't sure. I think it was Sammael and Rahvin who were thinking of linking with Graendal and Lanfear but always it was the men linking with an equal number of women, I thought. Just wasn't sure if the rule of thirteen might hold up yet again with the men just to throw the number in there again.

There must always be more women than men, except for 1 woman and two men. The max without a man is 13, with only one 26, with 2 (now I start having to look things up) something like 40, I can't find it, with 3, 4 and 5 are not known, and with six you can get a size of 72. More is never possible. When you have a circle of 72, a man must lead, and with a circle with the minimum men. And with a circle of only two, and mixed, a man must lead too. And there was something a woman had to lead, but I can't remember that...

I though I had read somewhere that, with the exception of these three types of circles: 1 man and 1 woman, 2 man and 1 woman, and 2 men and 2 women, there must always be at least one more woman then there is men in a circle.

Edited by Master Ablar

There must always be more women than men, except for 1 woman and two men. The max without a man is 13, with only one 26, with 2 (now I start having to look things up) something like 40, I can't find it, with 3, 4 and 5 are not known, and with six you can get a size of 72. More is never possible. When you have a circle of 72, a man must lead, and with a circle with the minimum men. And with a circle of only two, and mixed, a man must lead too. And there was something a woman had to lead, but I can't remember that...

I thought a woman had to lead when the minimum amount of men possible were present in a circle?