DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I just started rereading tGH. Does anyone know for certain what the wind was at the beginning that holds Rand in place while he's practicing with Lan, causing him to get cut in the chest by Lan's practice sword? It's very close to the "Wind" that opens every WoT book, but to me it seemed far enough apart & the opening wind never did anything like that in the other books.

I had taken that wind to be a sign that the DO was stirring. One of the early signs of the weakening seals. I find it highly unlikely that it was an actual willful attempt on Rand's life. If it were, it was rather weak, IMO.

despite that, I've always thought that it fitted in with moirainne's comment that they will have to make the wind blow on their travels south again and that they will never know the full consequences of calling those winds (floods etc). I link those two together cos this is right before the news that the White Tower party has arrived and could well have been the tail effects of their wind. I prefer my explanation better, despite what RJ says :)

Padan Fain, was it the Dark One or Ishamael who turned him into the Shadow's hound? Early on in the series I believe Fain says it's Baalzamon who gave him his powers, which would imply Ishamael. However, when he's caught in the White Tower by Alviarian he describes to her being led to an area in Shayol Ghul that sounds remarkably similar to the area where Demandred speaks with the Dark One.

Padan Fain, was it the Dark One or Ishamael who turned him into the Shadow's hound? Early on in the series I believe Fain says it's Baalzamon who gave him his powers, which would imply Ishamael. However, when he's caught in the White Tower by Alviarian he describes to her being led to an area in Shayol Ghul that sounds remarkably similar to the area where Demandred speaks with the Dark One.

It was the Dark One. Moiraine says he was taken to Shayol Ghul, where he met Ba'alzamon, but his distilling happened in the Pit of Doom itself.

Did anyone ever notice that Demandred laughs in KoD? In chapter 3, at the gardens. I thought I should post it here, but say it if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. And it is interesting. I just don't know what to make of it.

IIRC Demandred and Taim are non-smilers as indeed is Talmanes. No reason why they wouldn't laugh (Taim does too, in KoD Epilogue I think.)

Currently doing a reread and am on tGH. Is it known who freed Fain at Fal Dara?

My best guesses are Ingtar, Verin, or Liandrin.

Ingtar released him, according to the encyclopedia. When he told Rand to flee the Fade, they instead pretended to fight and left to free Fain after Rand was out of sight.

Currently doing a reread and am on tGH. Is it known who freed Fain at Fal Dara?

My best guesses are Ingtar, Verin, or Liandrin.

Ingtar released him, according to the encyclopedia. When he told Rand to flee the Fade, they instead pretended to fight and left to free Fain after Rand was out of sight.

I always thought that too, but it couldn't have happened like that. The whole reason Rand doesn't help Ingtar with the fade (other than fear) is that he wants to get to Egwane in the dungeon as fast as he can. How could Ingtar have had time to beat him down there to free Fain without at least running into Rand on his way out?

If the encyclopedia says he released him, I will accept that, but he must have done it before his encounter with Rand & the fade. Especially considering Fain & the trollocs needing enough time to write all that stuff on the wall.

I believe it was RJ who said it was Ingtar. In some signing or other.

Wotmania interview, if it makes a difference. (More reliable than the average signing report.)

Wotmania Interview 2004

Q: Did Ingtar free Padan Fain in The Great Hunt? Or was it someone else?

RJ: It was Ingtar. Didn’t expect a straight answer, did you?

Edited by Terez

I always thought that too, but it couldn't have happened like that. The whole reason Rand doesn't help Ingtar with the fade (other than fear) is that he wants to get to Egwane in the dungeon as fast as he can. How could Ingtar have had time to beat him down there to free Fain without at least running into Rand on his way out?

If the encyclopedia says he released him, I will accept that, but he must have done it before his encounter with Rand & the fade. Especially considering Fain & the trollocs needing enough time to write all that stuff on the wall.

Just went back and looked at that, you're correct. The encyclopedia is a bit misleading, specifically-

When the attack begins, Ingtar sends Rand away when a Fade appears. He then goes to the dungeon with the Fade and frees Padan Fain. Later, he reports that the Horn was stolen. He knew nothing about earlier orders to bar the gates. (TGH,Ch6)

Good catch.

This probably doesn't have a solid answer but I just finished the Eye of the World for the thousandth time and I find myself truly wondering how did Aginor fight Lews Therin "stroke for stroke" with the One Power in the Age of Legends?

I mean first off Ishamael, the greatest of the Forsaken, is humbled by Lews Therin in the Hall of Servants and then specifically defeated by the Dragon at the gates of Paaran Disen, how could Aginor have done so much better without Lews Therin being at some unknown disadvantage?

Also, Rand at the end of Eye of the World pretty easily wrestles control of the Eye from Aginor, destroying him with little trouble although Aginor does have a lot going against him at the time least of which was just being released from his 3000 year imprisonment and Rand being a super powered ta'veren. But then Aginor as Corlan Dashiva fails to destroy or even hurt Rand and this time he has the help of several other Asha'man yet they still end up fleeing after their attack. Then finally Aginor is destroyed by Elza which was believable under the circumstances but not such a fitting end for one who had stood toe to toe with the Dragon.

Maybe I just like to assume that when Aginor met Lews Therin Telamon the Dragon wasn't at his best for some reason, any simple answers?

This probably doesn't have a solid answer but I just finished the Eye of the World for the thousandth time and I find myself truly wondering how did Aginor fight Lews Therin "stroke for stroke" with the One Power in the Age of Legends?

I mean first off Ishamael, the greatest of the Forsaken, is humbled by Lews Therin in the Hall of Servants and then specifically defeated by the Dragon at the gates of Paaran Disen, how could Aginor have done so much better without Lews Therin being at some unknown disadvantage?

Also, Rand at the end of Eye of the World pretty easily wrestles control of the Eye from Aginor, destroying him with little trouble although Aginor does have a lot going against him at the time least of which was just being released from his 3000 year imprisonment and Rand being a super powered ta'veren. But then Aginor as Corlan Dashiva fails to destroy or even hurt Rand and this time he has the help of several other Asha'man yet they still end up fleeing after their attack. Then finally Aginor is destroyed by Elza which was believable under the circumstances but not such a fitting end for one who had stood toe to toe with the Dragon.

Maybe I just like to assume that when Aginor met Lews Therin Telamon the Dragon wasn't at his best for some reason, any simple answers?

Aginor is the second most powerful of the male Forsaken, possibly the second most powerful of the forsaken [TBWB].

Simply put, we know the forsaken are capable of going head to head with the Dragon and surviving. Rahvin does it (albeit Rand probably wasn't at full strength and certainly not at full skill, and is disadvantaged in playing field) and in fact has the upper hand. We rarely see Rand destroy one of the Forsaken easily unless he has a huge advantage; for example tapping the power of the Eye as you mention.

Rather than thinking of it as Lews Therin not being at his best, consider it thus: Aginor is powerful enough to match Lews Therin pretty closely. All of the forsaken are. Similarly, they're from a generation of great skill and training, and are the most ruthless and skilled of the very best of the AoL forsaken. The forsaken we see die in the books are generally at some form of disadvantage: Aginor crushed by the power of the Eye, Balthamel surprised by the Green Man, Ishamael pretty insane and not really fighting with the power properly, and eventually destroyed by Rand using an incredible Sa'angreal. Both Lanfear and Be'lal surprised by Moiraine.

In fact, all I can think of is Sammael as a fight without any manifest advantage/disadvantage to either of them I suppose. And that fight was pretty close.

"I mean first off Ishamael, the greatest of the Forsaken, is humbled by Lews Therin in the Hall of Servants and then specifically defeated by the Dragon at the gates of Paaran Disen, how could Aginor have done so much better without Lews Therin being at some unknown disadvantage?" you said.

We don't know enough to say what this "humbling" was. I don't think it will have been Lews Therin simply walking all over him, but rather any defeat for men of their power and ego would be viewed as a humbling no?

"I mean first off Ishamael, the greatest of the Forsaken, is humbled by Lews Therin in the Hall of Servants and then specifically defeated by the Dragon at the gates of Paaran Disen, how could Aginor have done so much better without Lews Therin being at some unknown disadvantage?" you said.

We don't know enough to say what this "humbling" was. I don't think it will have been Lews Therin simply walking all over him, but rather any defeat for men of their power and ego would be viewed as a humbling no?

I would almost guess that would be when Ishy openly declared in the hall of servents, maybe LTT humbled him in debate, which would be a huge hit to a philosopher like ishy

We know that Rand plans to break the remaining seals; just to refresh my memory, does he in fact have all the unbroken seals? I'm sure its here somewhere, but I can't find the info...

He does indeed.

7 total.

-First one was found broken at The Eye of the World

-Second and Third were in Turak's possession, one he had and the one that was confiscated from Domon, both were found broken after the Seanchan were repelled by the Heroes of the Horn

-Forth was found in the Stone of Tear by Moiraine, still intact atm

-Fifth was found by Nynaeve in the Pat's Palace in Tanchico, broken on the way to Salidar

-Sixth was found by Moiraine in Rhuidean. Packaged up with the Forth in barrels filled with cotton. Still intact

-Seventh was delivered to Rand by Taim at their first meeting, still intact

Edited by Finnssss

When Rand roams the palace in Cairhien after the attack, Cadsuane passes him by. Interesting. Her ter'angreals should tell her that Rand is around. Do you think this is an erro?

Did she seem surprised to see him?