DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I haven't seen any asmodean threads in a long while - are people still debating the how of the murder? or has it finally dropped to the wayside? or is it a rule of these forums to not mention his name?

We implemented a rule years ago that all Asmo-discussions should go in a single thread, on the structured board. And after TOM there is no point in discussing it further as the killer now is revealed.

it's an act so dark that only those in the service of the Dark perform/condone it. That could've been a reasonable explaination except that none of the male/male Forsaken has had that kind of punishment, not even hinted at by what I recall.

Yeah, I don't think that's it. We have instances where rape or rapers are mentioned with no apparent connection to DFs:

Beside the wide arched gate into the city, a long platform displayed, on spikes twenty feet above the ground, the tarred but still recognizable heads of over a dozen men and two women who had fallen afoul of Seanchan justice. Above them hung the symbol for that justice, a headsman's slant-edged axe with the haft wrapped in an intricately knotted white cord. A placard below each head announced the crime that had placed it there, murder or rape, robbery with violence, assault on one of the Blood.

Quite aside from all the sunken ships and dead, freeing damane was another death penalty charge, and disgusting besides, in the Seanchan view, as bad as rape or molesting children.

Seems not. And tbh I find the point odd that in a female dominated society there would be no rape/rape attempts. I don´t think that was RJ´s point.

You also have Morgase, who was raped by Valda. That is a quite big one, as it allows Galad to feel that he was right to kill Valda even though Morgase turned out to be quite alive and well.

Morgase was raped by Valda and Rahvin. Mesaana, Moghedien, and Graendal are raped by Shaidar Haran. (Cyndane was not.) Min saw rapes in Daved Hanlon's future. And then there is Tylin and Mat. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I think it's also mentioned elsewhere.

it's an act so dark that only those in the service of the Dark perform/condone it. That could've been a reasonable explaination except that none of the male/male Forsaken has had that kind of punishment, not even hinted at by what I recall.

Yeah, I don't think that's it. We have instances where rape or rapers are mentioned with no apparent connection to DFs:

Beside the wide arched gate into the city, a long platform displayed, on spikes twenty feet above the ground, the tarred but still recognizable heads of over a dozen men and two women who had fallen afoul of Seanchan justice. Above them hung the symbol for that justice, a headsman's slant-edged axe with the haft wrapped in an intricately knotted white cord. A placard below each head announced the crime that had placed it there, murder or rape, robbery with violence, assault on one of the Blood.

Quite aside from all the sunken ships and dead, freeing damane was another death penalty charge, and disgusting besides, in the Seanchan view, as bad as rape or molesting children.

Seems not. And tbh I find the point odd that in a female dominated society there would be no rape/rape attempts. I don´t think that was RJ´s point.

You also have Morgase, who was raped by Valda. That is a quite big one, as it allows Galad to feel that he was right to kill Valda even though Morgase turned out to be quite alive and well.

Finding out some jerk raped my mother, turning him into sausage would be the best scenario for him.

Does Gawyn know how to use the blood rings?

Nope. Or at least, he hasn't figured it out yet on-screen.

I was wondering why he was carrying them. Who would he use one on? His mother has been avenged & he seems to have made peace with Rand in his head.

I was wondering why he was carrying them. Who would he use one on? His mother has been avenged & he seems to have made peace with Rand in his head.

He will use it to assassinate the Seanchan empress, Fortuona. When he takes the blood rings from the bodies he thinks to himself that something must be done about the Seanchan. From Avi's trip through the pillars we know that Fortuona will be assassinated at some point in the future just before some compromise is reached. With all the security around the empress killing her won't be easy unless you have an advantage such as the blood rings. And killing Fortuona just before something can be worked out between the Seanchan and the Aiel seems like something Gwayn would do,

He will use it to assassinate the Seanchan empress, Fortuona. When he takes the blood rings from the bodies he thinks to himself that something must be done about the Seanchan. From Avi's trip through the pillars we know that Fortuona will be assassinated at some point in the future just before some compromise is reached. With all the security around the empress killing her won't be easy unless you have an advantage such as the blood rings. And killing Fortuona just before something can be worked out between the Seanchan and the Aiel seems like something Gwayn would do,

Except for the fact that we know Tuon survives aMoL. RJ had planned for an outrigger with Mat and Tuon returning to Seanchan post TG.

I think it is more than possible he will not use them at all, at least not in the way they are supposed to be used. But, he saw how just the sight of one dagger upset a Seanchan. How would a Seanchan opponent react if he pulled out a necklace with three rings on it? That could give him the edge he needs. And there is quite a chance Gawyn will find himself face to face with quite a few seanchan soldiers in the near future...

If he uses them, it will likely be:

1. To stop Rand from breaking the seals (likely at Egwene's order).

2. To kill Dark Rand after the merge with Moridin.

3. Something to do with Shayol Ghul? Hard to see him thinking it worth the sacrifice otherwise.

And Alivia can always show him how to use them. :biggrin:

I think it is more than possible he will not use them at all, at least not in the way they are supposed to be used. But, he saw how just the sight of one dagger upset a Seanchan. How would a Seanchan opponent react if he pulled out a necklace with three rings on it? That could give him the edge he needs. And there is quite a chance Gawyn will find himself face to face with quite a few seanchan soldiers in the near future...

Good point, I've been thinking about it & I also believe he won't end up using them. But what about him giving them to his sister who might figure out how to make them safer? I know your scenario is more likely if for no other reason than there probably won't be time for such a lull in the action in the last book, but could it play out where she makes one or two that will make the difference for someone in a crucial fight?

Good point, I've been thinking about it & I also believe he won't end up using them. But what about him giving them to his sister who might figure out how to make them safer? I know your scenario is more likely if for no other reason than there probably won't be time for such a lull in the action in the last book, but could it play out where she makes one or two that will make the difference for someone in a crucial fight?

You said it yourself, it is too late in the story for such a thing to happen. From the looks of it, within the first five chapters all hell will have broken loose.

Of course, it could be something like Gawyn giving her a ring to study for the post-TG conflict with the seanchan everyone expects, but that is a different beast to tackle.

You said it yourself, it is too late in the story for such a thing to happen.

Unless it's very much apart of the most important events in the last book.

From the looks of it, within the first five chapters all hell will have broken loose.

Agreed. Merrilor is (along with the Dragon's Peace), I think, a big fat red herring. Not that the peace won't happen, but I don't think it will happen that early.

Agreed. Merrilor is (along with the Dragon's Peace), I think, a big fat red herring. Not that the peace won't happen, but I don't think it will happen that early.

Agreed. My guess? Someone makes a strike at the world leaders, and in particular the Borderland Rulers (and Bashere) get wiped out. I reckon the peaceful meeting in TofM might be a red-herring designed to make us relax our expectations about the Borderland Rulers, only to then undercut it.

ok, if that's getting taken elsewhere, I'd like to ask a completely unrelated simple question.

Is it known why Siuan & Leane were only healed to partial strength after stilling but Logain was (apparently) restored to his full power?

Because healing only works 100% when done by the opposite sex. As Logain was healed by Nynaeve he is fully restored.

ok, if that's getting taken elsewhere, I'd like to ask a completely unrelated simple question.

Is it known why Siuan & Leane were only healed to partial strength after stilling but Logain was (apparently) restored to his full power?

A man needs to be healed by a woman and vice-verse. When Flinn healed the Sisters who Rand stilled at DW, they were back to their full strength.

Ahh, thank you, both of you. Do you know where I missed this? I only read through the later books once (I'm going through my first re-read & am currently in the middle of tSR). I remember now that those sisters were healed fully, but did any character figure it out or was it up to us to catch it?

I would also ask if it's possible to completely heal Siuan & Leane now with a man but I suspect the answer is no since they were already healed once. The only reason I bring it up is that all other healing needs to be done soon after the injury except for stilling. So I thought I'd at least ask since this seems to be different.

Ahh, thank you, both of you. Do you know where I missed this?

Aside from thematic hints (fans guessed it), the interviews. See my sig > reference library > interview database. I have given you a lot of quotes from there today; maybe now you should read some on your own. :wink:

Aside from thematic hints (fans guessed it), the interviews.

So it wasn't stated by a character, it was up to the fans to figure it out or read it in interviews. Thank you.

No, not stated by a character. It was all just speculation and I believe a RAFO until Flinn healed the Sisters I mentioned to their full strength at which time it was confirmed by RJ in his blog I think around the KoD release.