DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Is there any solid answer/theory of who killed Asmodean? I'm pretty sure he was killed to make way for Taim, but who killed him is in question. I've recently re-read the series and I'm thinking that maybe he wasn't killed by the one power cause he just left avi and rand was just up on the second floor, so she or he would feel is someone channel or maybe no...?

Yes, it was Graendal.

Because it is in the Guide, it can be assumed to be fact, not a theory.

A word of warning: the BWB is written as if by 3rd Age scholars. It might (and indeed does) contain inaccuracies as well as flat out errors.

Curious, what are some examples of the "flat out errors"?

Edited by Suttree

It doesn't have any more 'flat out errors' than the regular books, but there are some.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I've seen some people use that claim to discredit pieces from the BWB that don't fit with their opinion so I just wanted to clarify.

Was it ever confirmed that Halima didn't compel Egwene at all? I think all we were told that she did 24/7 on the Oath on her own.

It got me thinking. Obviously, Halima made her view her in a better light (made her dismiss anything bad about her).

What else? I'm doing a reread and to me it seems quite certain that Egwene was influenced to the worse. On Rand, for example.

Was it ever confirmed that Halima didn't compel Egwene at all? I think all we were told that she did 24/7 on the Oath on her own.

It got me thinking. Obviously, Halima made her view her in a better light (made her dismiss anything bad about her).

What else? I'm doing a reread and to me it seems quite certain that Egwene was influenced to the worse. On Rand, for example.

Sorry, csarmi, I don't quite follow - who are the 'her's here? (BTW, I agree with you :wink: )

Edited by FarShainMael

Sorry, csarmi, I don't quite follow - who are the 'her's here? (BTW, I agree with you :wink: )

Halima made Egwene view her (Halima) in a better light (made Egwene dismiss anything bad about her).

Oh, I see.

@Sharaman: when did Rand demonstrate that weave? I can't call it to mind at all.

Edited: TGS23. Right.

Those FS who have been transmigrated know, obviously - but what about the others? Especially as the 'gars are now dead, and CynFear is mindtrapped.

Edited by FarShainMael

Does anyone besides Rand (and Moridin) know:

a) that the DO can transmigrate certain souls at death and

b) that balefire (normally!) prevents this from happening?

Those FS who have been transmigrated know, obviously - but what about the others? Especially as the 'gars are now dead, and CynFear is mindtrapped.

WH-ch13-pg320:

'She was a puzzle to Demandred. At first he had thought she was Lanfear reincarnated. Bodies for transmigration supposedly were chosen by what was available, yet Osan'gar and Aran'gar were proof of the Great Lord's cruel sense of humour.'

So yes they must all know.

There is a reasonably solid answer if you check the appendix in ToM under Graendal. As to how, we haven't been told and it is all conjecture

ToM Glossary;

Graendal:One of the Forsaken. Once known as Kamarile Maradim Nindar, a noted ascetic, she was the

second of the Forsaken to decide to serve the Dark One. A ruthless killer, she was responsible for the

deaths of Aran’gar and Asmodean and for the destruction of Mesaana. Her present circumstances are

uncertain.

Page

Capital "WTF!" Usually, I don't read those, but, WTF!

Was it explained how she did it? I don't follow the authors' blogs, so if they said it somewhere I don't know.

There is a reasonably solid answer if you check the appendix in ToM under Graendal. As to how, we haven't been told and it is all conjecture

ToM Glossary;

Graendal:One of the Forsaken. Once known as Kamarile Maradim Nindar, a noted ascetic, she was the

second of the Forsaken to decide to serve the Dark One. A ruthless killer, she was responsible for the

deaths of Aran’gar and Asmodean and for the destruction of Mesaana. Her present circumstances are

uncertain.

Page

Capital "WTF!" Usually, I don't read those, but, WTF!

Was it explained how she did it? I don't follow the authors' blogs, so if they said it somewhere I don't know.

Not how. Moridin mentions that Graendal seems to be developing a habit for causing the lives of other Forsaken (ToM prologue, I believe). This is after Aran'gar's demise, and the other Forsaken Graendal could have killed would have been Asmodean.

I am rereading ToM. It's probably been mentioned tons of times, but are there any predominant theories as to who the strange woman Aviendha meets in the Waste is?

Capital "WTF!" Usually, I don't read those, but, WTF!Was it explained how she did it? I don't follow the authors' blogs, so if they said it somewhere I don't know.

As to how she did it I'm pretty sure we don't know. But in case you're interested here's where it's revealed that Graendal did it. (To my knowledge anyway, it may have been said elsewhere too but this is where I picked it up.)

ToM-page 119:

Moridin stepped forward, seizing her eyes with his own. "Graendal," he said softly, dangerously. "I know the key for this one. (the dreamspike) It will not be used against me, or others of the Chosen. The Great Lord will know if you do. I do not wish your apparent habit to be indulged further, not until Aybarra is dead."

Since we know exactly how all the dead Forsaken died, except for Asmodean, Moridin must have been refering to his death as well as Aran'gar's when he spoke of her 'habit' of turning against the Chosen.

Edited by Louii

Ah! Some things are coming to me. As I remember Asmodean somehow knows that Graendal set up shop in Arad Doman. So she might actually have some link with him. So it seems that rather than opening the way for Taim to get into Rand's confidence, he was actually killed to tie up loose ends.

Edited by mackoY-kun

There is a better one. In the epilogue, SH says that Graendal is responsible for the death of three Chosen. Two of them are clear without digging further. Aran'gar and Mesaana. If you make a list of all Forsaken, and how they died, you see that Asmo has to be the third.

Aha!!! I could have sworn there was another one, but for the life of me couldn't remember exactly where it was short of reading the whole book (post Aran'gar) again. Thank you, it was bugging me!

Edited by Louii

I've been re-reading the series and I'm on ToM already. It seems there are a lot of hints in the chapters with Graendal's POV pointing to her. Moridin asking if Aran’gar had turned traitor. And those that you said. The most Important being the entry in the Glossary.

It doesn't have any more 'flat out errors' than the regular books, but there are some.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I've seen some people use that claim to discredit pieces from the BWB that don't fit with their opinion so I just wanted to clarify.

I also dislike this tendency. One has to balance what is said in the BWB against what is said in the books and interviews, and take into consideration the fact that it was written like a fallible history book, but nothing should be dismissed for no other reason than that it came from the BWB.

There is a very good writing out there on why and how Graendal killed Asmlodean. I don't have the link myself, but it's really convincing.

I think this is what you're talking about:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/main/theories.html

And I agree, it's very convincing.

It is indeed. I must admit I must not be that observant cause it never occured to me that she (or he) did it.

It is indeed. I must admit I must not be that observant cause it never occured to me that she (or he) did it.

Well I don't think she killed him personally, but she's certainly held responsible. Just like it was Rand who technically killed Aran'gar after Graendal left her helpless, Egwene who vegitized Mesaana as a result of her failure after being given the dreamspike, and Sammael who killed Asmodean after their botched plan.