DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

LTT was the Dragon and Rand Dragon Reborn, as far as we know they are just recent names for the CoL. Since we have conflicting quotes from RJ on if the Dragon Soul has been turned some people take it to mean there have been other CoL souls of which Ishy very well may have been one.

Just keep in mind though that RJ also said that turning the CoL to the Shadow does not guarantee a Victory for the DO, it just means that the DO's worst outcome could then be a draw.

I'm thinking this should be a full topic, but let's start here in case there is a simple answer:

Like mb said, RJ wasn't big on answering questions no one in Randland could know the answer to. You are free to speculate as to the nature of the DO's prison, at least for now; AMoL might shed some light on that.

Before you open a new thread, though, do a quick search. Those questions have been discussed many times before (albeit in somewhat different phrasing, I believe).

Do not recall any of the books telling what the Dark One's prison is. The Guide does not.

I believe it's in EotW where Moiraine describes the DO's prison being the pattern, and later books expand on what the pattern is made of. I read an interesting theory at theoryland about the nature of the pattern which collects the various evidence that the pattern is made out of souls and why.

But, after asking this question, I thought it was silly of me to be thinking in 3 dimensions. :D

Being inside the Matrix, for example, doesn't mean if you walk to the outer wall you can punch through to the outside.

Edited by Toy'varen

Quick question: I think I remember the shaft of Mat's ashandrei getting charred by fire in ToM. Was this an error, or has the spear's shaft ever been described as common wood before this?

I never thought of it as wood considering it's a power-wrought weapon but...

Quick question: I think I remember the shaft of Mat's ashandrei getting charred by fire in ToM. Was this an error, or has the spear's shaft ever been described as common wood before this?

I never thought of it as wood considering it's a power-wrought weapon but...

The shaft is wood. Just the blade is power-wrought.

I believe it's in EotW where Moiraine describes the DO's prison being the pattern

I second mb's position. Nowhere in the books is the nature of the DO's prison explained. The original prison, i.e., pre-AoL, I mean.

What made Liah wander off in Shadar Logoth?

Again, I don't think there's a simple answer to this one. She just did. Incidentally, the boys did the same back in TEotW, despite being warned by Moiraine (albeit less thoroughly).

"It's always been a city of importance, you know," Rand said from beside

Min , his eyes distant. "The Guardians are newer, but the city was here

long ago. Aren Deshar, Aren Mador, Far Madding. Always a thorn in our

side, Aren Deshar was. The enclave of the Incastar—those afraid of progress,

afraid of wonder. Turns out they had a right to be afraid. How I wish

I had listened to Gilgame . . ."

Perhaps this question isn't entirely simple, but...

Rand says:

"Calling me boy? I no longer mind, though it does feel odd. I was four

hundred years old on the day I died during the Age of Legends."

So his memories should be limited to those from the Age of Legends, correct?

Aren Deshar and Aren Mador are from way past the Breaking and the Age of Legends.

If he has memories of those cities that would make him well beyond 400 years old. He should only have past memories of the Age of Legends. How does he have memories/knowledge from cities 200 years past the Breaking? How would Rand know this?

How would Rand know this?

Well, as far as I know the city was named Aren Deshar when LTT lived. He would've known its history then, as AS were well educated.

Aren Mador is a more recent name, dating to the days between the Breaking and the Trolloc Wars. My best guess is that Rand brushed up on his histories, and a place such as Far Madding had to have captured his attention (not to mention there was a time when he had good reason to learn more about the city).

Well, as far as I know the city was named Aren Deshar when LTT lived. He would've known its history then, as AS were well educated.

Aren Mador is a more recent name, dating to the days between the Breaking and the Trolloc Wars. My best guess is that Rand brushed up on his histories, and a place such as Far Madding had to have captured his attention (not to mention there was a time when he had good reason to learn more about the city).

Ah, I didn't realize it was called Aren Deshar during the Age of Legends.

Edited by Ellae

Don't forget that in several books he spent a lot of time studying. He was specifically studying versions of the prophecies but he also looked into the history of various nations (amongst other things).

What do people from Tar Valon call themselves? People from Tear for example are Tairens, but I don't think I've ever seen a name for someone from Tar Valon.

Maybe Tar Valonians?

Most people maybe think Tar Valon is habitated only by AS.

Having both words seems rather clunky. Maybe Valonian or Valonese?

Regardless, I believe you're right in that we never actually hear a name for citizens of Tar Valon.

P.S. Did anyone else immediately think of a catchy little rhyme as an answer to GYLD's post? :tongue:

Having both words seems rather clunky. Maybe Valonian or Valonese?

Regardless, I believe you're right in that we never actually hear a name for citizens of Tar Valon.

P.S. Did anyone else immediately think of a catchy little rhyme as an answer to GYLD's post? :tongue:

Ehmm... no? :blink:

I have a question about the headscarfs the Wise One´s wear. How are they attached? They are always described as a piece of cloth folded over the forhead, yes, but how does it stay on there? Do they tie it in the back?

I have a question about the headscarfs the Wise One´s wear. How are they attached? They are always described as a piece of cloth folded over the forhead, yes, but how does it stay on there? Do they tie it in the back?

Real life women who wear them do, so I suspect you're correct.

Random thought:

Say Rand made a gateway to T'a'R and entered it in the flesh like he did when fighting Forsaken in Tear and Caemlyn. What would happen if someone else came in through the gateway that couldn't channel to make a passage out again? Would they just be stuck there forever? Or starve?