DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Were the meaning of the names of all the Forsaken ever revealed? I know we know some, but I don't think we got them all.

They all have some meaning in the Old Tongue, but we have only seen a few. The rest will either be in AMOL or in the Encyclopaedia.

The ones we know:

Ishamael: Betrayer of Hope

Lanfear: Daughter of the Night

Sammael: Destroyer of Hope

Moggy: Was a small deadly spider in the AoL (courtesy of Quiet Aiel)

I cant remember if we know any others. Probably, but those are the only ones I can think of now.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

A moghedien was a small and deadly spider in the Age of Legends.

ahhhh yeah your right, ill edit that into my post. Ill give you credit for it

it's no big deal, but thanks. :) Just tossing out what I know.

Have come to the chapter in ToM where Perrin uses the wolf dream to scout out the Whitecloak's camp. It reads suspiciously like Tel'aran'rhiod - are they the same thing?

Read a few chapters more, about 3/4 of the book or more, and you will get your answer. :)

Have come to the chapter in ToM where Perrin uses the wolf dream to scout out the Whitecloak's camp. It reads suspiciously like Tel'aran'rhiod - are they the same thing?

Read a few chapters more, about 3/4 of the book or more, and you will get your answer. :)

I'll just go ahead and answer - Yes, they're the same.

I'll just go ahead and answer - Yes, they're the same.

Indeed, Egwene sees Perrin in tel'aran'rhiod as soon TDR (no need to look for confirmation in ToM, but it is there if you prefer).

Simple Question: What is the literal meaning of the components of the word "Tel'aran'rhiod"? I know that "tel" means "world," and I seem to recall that "Unseen World" is the Common translation of "Tel'aran'rhiod," but "aran" means "right" (i.e., the opposite of left) and I'm not sure I have ever seen a translation for "rhiod." Does anyone know what these two words literally mean?
Old Tongue to the Third Age language tends to have different translations for one word/root/prefix/suffix. Aran for sure means right (or right-handed) in Aran'gar; but might have a different meaning here.

And a translation can have a different order than its original.

I recall there being several sites that give Old Tongue translations.

So when/why did the forsaken change their names? Because they turned to the Dark One?

(example) Elan Morin Tedronai: I now serve the Dark One. My name is now Ishamael, Betrayer of Hope!

Something like that?

So when/why did the forsaken change their names? Because they turned to the Dark One?

(example) Elan Morin Tedronai: I now serve the Dark One. My name is now Ishamael, Betrayer of Hope!

Something like that?

IIRC in Ishamaels case that name was given to him by his former allies and he just stuck with it.

I think the story went as follows: he decided the Pattern should end, sought the DO (and was the first to do so) and helped prepare the Shadow for the upcoming war. When they were ready he returned to the Hall of Servants to declare the war, whereupon LTT 'humbled' him. I might have gotten any part of that wrong, I'm speaking completely from my impressions. Anyhoo, Lanfear was the only one who chose her new name, so presumably people named him "The Betrayer of Hope" once his new affiliation became known.

So when/why did the forsaken change their names?
Only one of the 13 chose name:: Lanfear.

The rest had their names given to them; I take from Light-sided characters.

The new names I guess were given shortly after going to the Shadow.

Ishamael claism that he's unlike Lews Therin in regard to their designations. Does he mean Kinslayer or Dragon? I've always read it as Dragon is shameful, but that doesn't make sense because he's the most accomplished man in the AoL.

No, he was quite clear. "After this day, men will call you Kinslayer. What will you do with that?"

Guest Lermontov

In tEotW prologue, how do Ishmael and LTT travel? It's not skimming or using a gateway, right? And if they both used in straight off, then presumably it was the preferred method in the Age of Legends. So, why don't the forsaken use it nowadays?

In tEotW prologue, how do Ishmael and LTT travel? It's not skimming or using a gateway, right? And if they both used in straight off, then presumably it was the preferred method in the Age of Legends. So, why don't the forsaken use it nowadays?

The description of Ishmael travelling is what travelling with the true power looks like. I don't have TEOTW with me at the moment so I don't know what the description of LTT travelling was, but I assume it's normal travelling.

The description of Ishmael travelling is what travelling with the true power looks like. I don't have TEOTW with me at the moment so I don't know what the description of LTT travelling was, but I assume it's normal travelling.

In merely says that he reached for saidin and Traveled (capital 'T' in the original), it doesn't say how.

This is probably a really random question but in one of the books there is an attendant called Cara, and the woman she serves makes the comment that Cara is a weak name or something along those lines. Does anyne know if this was RJ taking a small shot at Goodkind's Cara, who is portrayed as strong, from The Sword of Truth Series?? I always got that feeling..

Eh, I think it has more to do with RJ's idea of naming standards in the WoT world. All of the nobles have unique names, often elaborate names, while the commoners have names like Cara and Mili and Bera. Names are mostly simple in the Two Rivers, too, but less so for the women.