DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Before Tower of Midnight's release, a number of names were revealed.

What are the final forms of those names?

I beg your pardon? Which names?
These names::
Andrew Sparks Non-human

Susan Moore

Scott Reid Two Rivers Bowman

Paul Jarr

Ifeyinwa Eboh Aiel

Eva Snyder Aiel

Deep Bhandari Asha'man

Armir Yoeli

Sthephen Antill

Sigrid Andersson Horseman (maybe woman depending on if he follows today's naming norms)

Robert Baret

Sean O'Connell

Steven Connelly Dies in a Battle

Rhet Petcher Dies in a Battle

Timpthy Brown sic Asha'man (probably Timothy)

Dustin Gurham probably Borderlander

Ed Sorrentino probably Borderlander

Eddy Knapper probably Borderlander

Christopher Helmke probably Borderlander

Brent Welborn Dies bravely in a battle

Brian Lehnen Dies bravely in a battle

Sarah Kainec Kainea Spearsister

Paul Postuma Door

George Zell

Kine Iohne has a trolloc dropped on his head

Jennifer Kaiser

Farah Sadaoui

Nicole Nimry Green Ajah

Maksim Zhukov

Fitzgerald Clark youngling

Eric Mazsone youngling

Han Zhang youngling

Alejandro Uso

Alec Breen

Laura Negin village near Tar Valon

Adam Sampson

Adrienne Hotard

Alfred Granger

Adam Hahn

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/45602-brandon-sanderson-adding-character-names/page__view__findpost__p__1394239

hey in TSR, just after the stone is attacked, rand thinks to himself that lanfear has given him some final piece of information to make his decision.

anyone knows what was it that she did or said?

As an addition to what PhoenixUK says regarding Verin's compulsion, when Moggy compels Liandrin to live, or "LIVE" as it is put in the books, she thinks to herself that the command will hold as long as somewhere in her, she wants it to. This indicates to me that even other sorts of compulsion (AOL versions) are still limited in that it can't be absolutely what the other person wouldn't do.

Compel me to follow your orders? don't wanna! do it or die? hmm, maybe I will. BAM! you have me.

That would be how I imagine a non-darkfriend, who knew who the forsaken was could be compelled

Guest PiotrekS

I don't have my book now, so please forgive me if I am just hallucination this.

In TGS, Egwene argues that because of participation of Black Ajah sitters in deposing of Siuan,there was no quorum and the act was illegal.

Shouldn't it mean that the act of deposition had been void and Siuan was still an Amyrlin?

In the same vein, didn't the election of Egwene in Salidar suffer from the same problems (Black Ajah sitters)? I don't think we know what was the quorum, so it would be impossible to say if the election was valid or not?

In TGS, Egwene argues that because of participation of Black Ajah sitters in deposing of Siuan,there was no quorum and the act was illegal.

Shouldn't it mean that the act of deposition had been void and Siuan was still an Amyrlin?

In the same vein, didn't the election of Egwene in Salidar suffer from the same problems (Black Ajah sitters)? I don't think we know what was the quorum, so it would be impossible to say if the election was valid or not?

Technically, the deposing was strictly legal. I dont htink they have a law that actually negates Black Ajah votes. SO while morally, yes, the deposing was false, legally, I dont think it was actually void.

Egwene, I am not suure. 1. She was elected by a full hall (I think,, or at least, not the minimum.) 2. DO we know how many sitters were black with the rebels? I think there were only two or three?

In any case, even if there WERE enough black sisters to make Egwene's election false, again, i dont think the Aes Sedai actually have a law stating it is annuled(so to speak).

The process was tainted, yes, but Siuan was subsequently Stilled, and obviously she stopped being Amyrlin then; going by how she was forced to reapply for admission to the Blue, she probably doesn't get to be Amyrlin again when she was Healed. And indeed, Egwene worries that her own raising was tainted as well, though if I'm not mistaken Moria was the only Black in the rebel Hall (without a doubt, Egwene had enough non-Blacks vote for her to be raised). I think that's partly why she insists on being raised again by the Tower Hall.

EDIT: Damn, ninja-ed by Barid. Good point.

Edited by yoniy0

Hi All,

So, I am listening to Knife of Dreams again, and found myself wondering: after Loial is married, why did Rand want to send him out to close Waygates? Didn't Loial just return from completing exactly that task? Or, what is it that I am not putting together?

Thanks

Theradave

how many sealed letters did verin put out there? and to whom

I think galad recieved one, rand, egwene, mat but who else

I don't recall Egwene getting one. Alanna did, however. Other than that, I don't think we know.

Yeah, there was no point in giving one to Egwene. Verin hand delivered what she wanted Egwene to know.

Reading through ACOS and I was wondering, is the argument between Perrin and Rand staged since Perrin still goes out to do what Rand wants him to do? I always got the feeling it was staged depsite Rand throwing Perrin with the OP, but I can't remember if this was clarified.

Just a bunch of questions about how TAR works exactly:

If you are balefired in TAR, does your body disappear?

If you physically enter TAR and take the oaths on a physical oath rod you take into TAR, would the oaths apply while you are in TAR, in the normal world, or in TAR even when you come back?

If you are healed in TAR as Slayer said, would you actually be healed, and if you replenish your blood as Perrin actually did, ado you actually get more blood?

Are your real clothes affected by what happens to your clothes in TAR?

We know that compulsion affects you out of TAR. Is it unique, do all weaves affect you or do only some?

Can nightmares be destroyed manually, so to speak, like by having a ton of Aes Sedai just come in and balefire it instead of just not believing in it?

What level of domesticity makes it so that animals can't get into TAR?

Could domestic animals be Dreamers? Say, for example, a mare?

If you physically enter TAR and then leave something there, will it stay in place?

Can Shadowspawn go into TAR, either through natural dreams, or by physically entering through the type of gateway Egwene used to get to Salidar?

Is the blank space of skimming related to TAR?

Reading through ACOS and I was wondering, is the argument between Perrin and Rand staged since Perrin still goes out to do what Rand wants him to do? I always got the feeling it was staged depsite Rand throwing Perrin with the OP, but I can't remember if this was clarified.

Yes, basically it was set up.

I cant tell you the exact quote that actually states it as such, but reading both Perrin and Rand, they both think about it as being staged, even though Rand DID lose his temper.

If you physically enter TAR and take the oaths on a physical oath rod you take into TAR, would the oaths apply while you are in TAR, in the normal world, or in TAR even when you come back?

If you are healed in TAR as Slayer said, would you actually be healed, and if you replenish your blood as Perrin actually did, ado you actually get more blood?

Are your real clothes affected by what happens to your clothes in TAR?

We know that compulsion affects you out of TAR. Is it unique, do all weaves affect you or do only some?

Can nightmares be destroyed manually, so to speak, like by having a ton of Aes Sedai just come in and balefire it instead of just not believing in it?

What level of domesticity makes it so that animals can't get into TAR?

Could domestic animals be Dreamers? Say, for example, a mare?

If you physically enter TAR and then leave something there, will it stay in place?

Can Shadowspawn go into TAR, either through natural dreams, or by physically entering through the type of gateway Egwene used to get to Salidar?

Is the blank space of skimming related to TAR?

First off, some interesting questions, good stuff.

1. Yes, see Rhavin.

Re: using the Oath Rod or the Three Arches for Accepted testing in Tel’aran’rhiod.

RJ said that they would not work the same way.

3. No idea.

4. No, they are not. See when people get injured in TAR and come out.

5. Not sure, I am sure that some are unique. I think that all work in TAR equally though.

6. You could, but the nightmare may come back if someone is behind it. If its just random, you could, but it would be very hard. Also, I wouldnt recommend Balefire.

7. Haha, excellent question, I have no idea. My best bet would be anything from Cattle to housepets would be considered domesticated, but no idea.

8. I dont think RJ has explored that. Given the evidence, however, I would say no. Animals, apart from humans, cannot be Dreamers or Dreamwalkers. It may be possible for them to have access to TAR for some strange reason (like wolves) but they are not what we would classify dreamwalkers. (an aside, Dreamers are those like Egwene who have prophetic visions.)

Wotmania Interview 2004

Q: What happens to objects left in Tel'aran'rhiod? Could an Aes Sedai free herself from the Three Oaths in Tel'aran'rhiod by creating an Oath Rod?

RJ: The only way for an object to enter Tel’aran’rhiod would be for it to be carried there by someone who entered physically rather than through a dream state. If left there, it would remain until it was retrieved by someone else who entered physically.

10. Well, to the second part, Shadowspawn cannot enter gateways (which is what egwene used, or at least a type of it) so not that way. As to the first part, thats a damn good quesiton, someone should ask Brandon.

Q: Are Tel’aran’rhiod, skimming space and Gap of Infinity5 all part of the unseen world?

RJ: No, they are all separate from each other.

hope that helped.

I think RJ once clarified that trollocs can dream so they could enter TAR. Fades cannot dream so they cannot. One doesn't know about Draghkar, Gholam, etc.

However, somebody could create constructs (like Egwene with Bela or the Aiel Wise Ones) of trollocs, fades, anything, in a Dream/ Nightmare.

Guest PiotrekS

The process was tainted, yes, but Siuan was subsequently Stilled, and obviously she stopped being Amyrlin then; going by how she was forced to reapply for admission to the Blue, she probably doesn't get to be Amyrlin again when she was Healed. And indeed, Egwene worries that her own raising was tainted as well, though if I'm not mistaken Moria was the only Black in the rebel Hall (without a doubt, Egwene had enough non-Blacks vote for her to be raised). I think that's partly why she insists on being raised again by the Tower Hall.

EDIT: Damn, ninja-ed by Barid. Good point.

Thanks, Barid, yoniy0! :smile:

It makes sense, probably Siuan ceased to be an Amyrlin after stilling, at the latest. I could play Devil's advocate and argue that if the Amyrlin doesn't have to be an Aes Sedai so maybe she doesn't even have to channel... But I don't think anybody would care to further pursue this fascinating subject anyway :tongue:

1. Yes, see Rhavin.

He was there in the flesh, so his body was not in bed asleep (which is what I think W_A was getting at). And as for that, I don't think we can say for sure.

was looking in WH's where the source is cleansed. first off you guys are right there is no mention of a wind screaming except when referring to the Choedan Kal's destruction.

but i have a new question. i can't recall if we have seen Moggy after this book; i certaintly don't remember her appearing in tGS or ToM. was she killed at this point? the discription RJ gives us is like she's been sucked into a black hole,

WH Ch 35, PP763-764

The roar if ten thousand thunders made her clap her hands over her ears and shriek, soundlessly in that crash, and the dome collapsed in on itself in the space of a heartbeat, to a pinpoint, to nothing. It was wind that howled then, rushing toward the vanished dome, dragging her along the stony ground no matter how desperately she clawed for purchase, tumbling her against trees, lifting her into the air. Strangely, she still felt no fear. She thought if she survived this, she would never feel fear again.

also in the same chapter, it talks about the CK's Dome becommming blacker than black; is this where the taint from Siadin goes due to Rand cleansing the source?

10. Well, to the second part, Shadowspawn cannot enter gateways (which is what egwene used, or at least a type of it) so not that way. As to the first part, thats a damn good quesiton, someone should ask Brandon.

what about Slayer, isn't he techinically Shadowspawn?? like a Fade or Greyman is technically Shadowspawn.

and i would think, that if a gateway was made directly into TAR, nothing would stop a horde of Trollocs being driven into TAR either. i just don't think its very logical to do this; as it would be really easy to both defeat and control them in TAR and woud just waste the DO's resources.

was looking in WH's where the source is cleansed. first off you guys are right there is no mention of a wind screaming except when referring to the Choedan Kal's destruction.

but i have a new question. i can't recall if we have seen Moggy after this book; i certaintly don't remember her appearing in tGS or ToM. was she killed at this point? the discription RJ gives us is like she's been sucked into a black hole,

She is present at the Forsaken meeting in KoD, Ch 3 and is mentioned in tGS, prologue as trying to kill Mat and Perrin and organizing darkfriends in the south.

what about Slayer, isn't he techinically Shadowspawn?? like a Fade or Greyman is technically Shadowspawn.

and i would think, that if a gateway was made directly into TAR, nothing would stop a horde of Trollocs being driven into TAR either. i just don't think its very logical to do this; as it would be really easy to both defeat and control them in TAR and woud just waste the DO's resources.

It's not a matter of being shadowspawn but of being artificial constructs. Artificial constructs (as Trollocs or Fades) can not pass through gateways with an exception of gholam (which seems to be a higher level construct according to BS). That includes constructs such as Nym according to RJ.

Q: Why can't Shadowspawn pass through gateways?

RJ: It's because they're artificial constructs. They can't tolerate the passage.

Q: So would a Nym have the same problem?

RJ: Yes.

Q: How about Ogier?

RJ: No. Ogier are not artificial constructs.

Trollocs would not survive any gateways presumably including those into TAR, else that trick would have been used long ago by the Forsaken.

I apologize if this is not the correct place for my post, but I do not wish to make a new post out of this as I do not frequent this board that often.

I just noticed something I wonder if anyone else had seen, or if I'm just being silly.

If you look at the cover of the Wheel of Time D20 RPG, here, and compare it to the Towers of Midnight cover here, they look VERY similar.

Wonder if the artist got his inspiration from the older picture, of it's just a coincidence.

Question:

In LoC ch 6 Sammael thinks:

"Al´Thor was not Lews Therin, but al´Thor was Lews Therin´s soul reborn, as Lews Therin himself had been the rebirth of that soul. Sammael was neither philosopher nor theologian, yet Ishamael had been both, and he claimed to have divined secrets hidden in that fact."

I understand, I think that Rand is LTT reborn, not being the same person, or having the same personality, appaerance but that Rand´s soul is the same soul that was in LTT. Sammael thinks that LTT himself had been a rebirth of that soul.. does he mean LTT´s soul?

Does that mean that LTT´s soul when he was LTT wasn´t the original soul of LTT person.. but rather say UNKNOWN person´s soul now being in LTT and then being known as LTT´ soul?

He's just talking about the one soul - the Dragon soul. It's not that complicated. Rand himself says they were always essentially the same person, despite the isolated life experiences and somewhat divergent personalities.