DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

we also have a later reference that he knew that Egwene was besieging Tar Valon. in KoD he sent Merise to Egwene to offer to bond Asha'man. But it doesn't look like he knew that she was captured. At least I can't recall any references to that.
The meeting was in Knife of Dreams, but the scene tells that the sending was through Cadsuane.

I do not recall anywhere telling when they were sent.

In a chapter about the bowl of winds the chapter icon is two bowl shaped things with a ribbon connecting them. Perhaps there are two? One with sea folk and one in the wt still?
following icon? adam.gif

If so, that signifies an adam. Damane are generally involved in chapters with that icon.

Edited by mb

In a chapter about the bowl of winds the chapter icon is two bowl shaped things with a ribbon connecting them. Perhaps there are two? One with sea folk and one in the wt still?

which chapter would that be? the bowl is mentioned in several. Do you mean CoS, Ch 38 when they retrieve the bowl? I don't think that icon looks like two bowls. But in any case I don't believe there would be a place for a second bowl in the story. There are only a few days left till the end. There would be no time to use the bowl to any effect before the LB is over and no need to do so after.

Dunno what chapter icon you're talking about (maybe the Seanchan helmet?) but Moridin suggested that there were several such ter'angreal during the Age of Legends. We have no idea if there are any others floating about, though...it could be that the one used was different from the one the Sea Folk lost (assuming they were identical).

I have a question about the BUT (big unnoticed thing.) I read Luckers post on that, where it said that it would probably be revealed in ToM. Was it revealed and did it have a huge inpact as have been hinted? No spoilers if you can manage since I haven´t read ToM yet =)

Where is Min? is she the one taking the photo?

She isn't a supergirl per se, and that paintings is exclusively of superkids.

How did Fain know that the banner over Turak's residence was that of Luthair Paendrag (TGG, Ch 34)?

Mordeth was trapped in SL a thousand years before Hawkwing's time.

A very good question, but news could still reach SL. Also, this piece of knowledge could've come from Fain's own life. After all, he was buddies with Ishamael for some time.

I have a question about the BUT (big unnoticed thing.) I read Luckers post on that, where it said that it would probably be revealed in ToM. Was it revealed and did it have a huge inpact as have been hinted? No spoilers if you can manage since I haven´t read ToM yet =)

Keep in mind that Luckers's compilation is affected by a mix-up that occurred when Peter Ahlstrom ruled out some proposed BUT's, only he didn't realize that some suggestions were made between the time he read the list and when he's made his comments, so... But yeah, as csarmi says (and Brandon originally said as well), we do learn of what the BUT is in ToM. Don't expect it to have a game-changing effect, though. Its implications seem to be contained in ToM (although what resulted from them isn't).

Where is Min? is she the one taking the photo?

She isn't a supergirl per se, and that paintings is exclusively of superkids.

How did Fain know that the banner over Turak's residence was that of Luthair Paendrag (TGG, Ch 34)?

Mordeth was trapped in SL a thousand years before Hawkwing's time.

A very good question, but news could still reach SL.

I don't think Mordeth held long talks on heraldic with travelers who stopped by in SL. Also, my understanding was that if he could trap some travelers then he could have gotten out of SL a long time ago. so I'm not sure how any news at all could reach SL.

Also, this piece of knowledge could've come from Fain's own life. After all, he was buddies with Ishamael for some time.

I don't see Ishy holding history classes with Fain on subjects not related to his main task. And Fain himself was a simple peddler. This was apparently not a piece of info common people would know.

Turak mentions this

Fain tried to make his voice convincing. Patient, like a worm boring from within. “High Lord, my family has passed down a tradition, generation upon generation. We served the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall, and when he was murdered by the witches of Tar Valon, we did not abandon our oaths. When others warred and tore apart what Artur Hawkwing had made, we held to our swearing, and suffered for it, but held to it still. This is our tradition, High Lord, handed father to son, and mother to daughter, down all the years since the High King was murdered. That we await the return of the armies Artur Hawkwing sent across the Aryth Ocean, that we await the return of Artur Hawkwing’s blood to destroy the White Tower and take back what was the High King’s. And when the Hawkwing’s blood returns, we will serve and advise, as we did for the High King. High Lord, except for its border, the banner that flies over this roof is the banner of Luthair, the son Artur Paendrag Tanreall sent with his armies across the ocean.” Fain dropped to his knees, giving a good imitation of being overwhelmed. “High Lord, I wish only to serve and advise the blood of the High King.”

Turak was silent so long that Fain began to wonder if he needed further convincing; he was ready with more, as much as was required. Finally, though, the High Lord spoke. “You seem to know what none, neither the high nor the low, has spoken since sighting this land. The people here speak it as one rumor among ten, but you know. I can see it in your eyes, hear it in your voice".

-TGH, Ch 34

Fain seems highly knowledgeable about Hawkwings's history. Early in the scene he mentions questioning some locals about the Seanchan so he could have found out the general story of the Return from them but Turak says that Fain knows things nobody else does. I assumed he meant the thing about the banner.

I don't think Mordeth held long talks on heraldic with travelers who stopped by in SL. Also, my understanding was that if he could trap some travelers then he could have gotten out of SL a long time ago. so I'm not sure how any news at all could reach SL.

Only if he could get them to the city walls, Moiraine said. And even Perrin noticed that there was something wrong about him well before that; more experienced travelers (who will probably know more of SL as well) will be more careful. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to exchange a few words with the occasional unwary visitor, or to plunder someone's packs and find a few books there. For that matter, we don't really know what happened to those corrupted by Mashadar (beyond the fact that their souls are tainted, as per RJ's comment regarding Sammael). Finally, Mordeth could still look out from the city walls, I think, whenever an army was camped nearby. Perhaps he noticed the flags.

Bottom line, there are several ways in which he could learn of it. Perhaps he even leaned something of recent history after he met Fain; an experienced court-man such as him could probably sift through rumor to get to the truth.

Like ToG, SL would have attracted adventurous travellers.

It might even be that Mordeth did get out a couple of times,earlier. Then after the body, which he possessed died, his spirit/ essence "jumped" back into SL?

All the rumours about SL suggest that Mordeth did get out and do some damage at some stage.

Moiraine wasn't quoting the spirt of Mordeth taking over as a legend, she "knew" it could happen.

Her actions with Mat afterwards and the fact that the AS did a linked healing for Mat suggest that possession had not only happened earlier, AS had to deal with it and developed some method to handle it.

Edited by Sharaman

Like ToG, SL would have attracted adventurous travellers.

It might even be that Mordeth did get out a couple of times,earlier. Then after the body, which he possessed died, his spirit/ essence "jumped" back into SL?

All the rumours about SL suggest that Mordeth did get out and do some damage at some stage.

Moiraine wasn't quoting the spirt of Mordeth taking over as a legend, she "knew" it could happen.

Her actions with Mat afterwards and the fact that the AS did a linked healing for Mat suggest that possession had not only happened earlier, AS had to deal with it and developed some method to handle it.

I agree and to add to this, we have to remember that Fain as he is now is a product of both the taint from SL and the DO's touch. We can't use anything Fain says or does as the norm, he's something "new" and quite unique.

What happened to and was happening to Mat has most likely happened before as per the above logic.

Edited by Finnssss

these 4 have probably been asked :unsure:

1. has anyone considered the possability that Taim is also Mordin?

Bubba is convinced of it for a few reasons. Taim disappears at the end of tDR when Ishy is severed from the source. LTT's reactions to Taim and utter insitance of KILL HIM and challenging Rand for control of the source whenever Rand is around Taim. and Taim's quizzical reaction when Rand opens a gateway and smug expression when rand talks about Taim having to "learn from him on the fly". we know he's not Demandred, i believe RJ denounced this theory right? but what about Taim being Ishy. (you know, the whole real Taim was killed and is now Ishy using a mask of illusions type thing

2. the thing that we've seen Fain do to the Trollocs. is it mashadar??

in the later books, i forget which one, Fain appears after a good hiatus and gives Rand his 2nd wound on the side. it's before Sadian is cleansed. if you recall this meeting, a thick fog comes out of no where and seems to be alive, i think i rememebr the fog actually phsyically attacking people. this fog appears as a precurser to Fain sprining his attack on the camp Rand is at. could this be a hint as to the Fain/Mashadar link up thats latter exposed in full in ToM's prolouge when we see the Zombie Trollocs (if memory serves i think the Trollocs have a fog inside of them as well at this point)

3. is it possible the Black Wind has also been joined, or been consumed for lack of a better word, by Fain.

when Rand cleasnes the source, its hinted at that he has also cleansed the Ways. we also knwo from previous books that not only does Fain religiusly use the Ways without fear; but the Black Wind is torn between greeting him as an old friend and running from him. Fain has even sent the Black Wind to guard entrances of the Ways against Rands entrance (tGH). is it possible that the Black Wind has joined with Fain to prevent itself from being totally destroyed. and if so, what abilitys might it give him in terms of channeling sicne it is a live creature made fromt eh tain of Sadian.

4. The Ghulam. is he set to return?

okay my last point is the Ghulam sent after Matt. we all knor how he "dies" but is he truely dead. so far as we know he's just fallign through space. to me, and seeing the build up of how fierce an enemy this creature is, it's just too easy of an end. have we seen the last of him? knowing how powerful the Ghulam is, and that likely the people to control him are people who rely on the power as their strength; woudln't there be a fail safe measure built into the Ghulam. an on/off switch or a "recall" button to warp him back to the owner.

sorry again if these have been asked, they've just really been bugging both me & bubba.

these 4 have probably been asked :unsure:

Bubba is convinced of it for a few reasons. Taim disappears at the end of tDR when Ishy is severed from the source. LTT's reactions to Taim and utter insitance of KILL HIM and challenging Rand for control of the source whenever Rand is around Taim. and Taim's quizzical reaction when Rand opens a gateway and smug expression when rand talks about Taim having to "learn from him on the fly". we know he's not Demandred, i believe RJ denounced this theory right? but what about Taim being Ishy. (you know, the whole real Taim was killed and is now Ishy using a mask of illusions type thing

Can't speak to the others, but this one has certainly been considered/discussed:

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/55991-is-taim-moridin/

Quick question - who was the person dressed all in black that confronted Lews Therin in the prologue to EOtW? Was that the dark one in some physical manifestation or one of the forsaken? And if it was, how did they get imprisoned? Lews Therin seemed to perish only moments later.

There's a link above. It's been discussed. For me, it's a problem in that while RJ was trying to beat us over the heads about Demandred not being Taim (and him thinking his hints made it so obvious), he did the repeated scene where the assassins after Rand received orders from Taim, Moridin, and Demandred. It would seem silly if that structure was supposed to help make it clear that Taim != Demandred, while the truth is really Taim = Moridin. Wouldn't be unbelievable (I was big on Taim = Demandred, fwiw), but seems clunky.

in the later books, i forget which one, Fain appears after a good hiatus and gives Rand his 2nd wound on the side. it's before Sadian is cleansed. if you recall this meeting, a thick fog comes out of no where and seems to be alive, i think i rememebr the fog actually phsyically attacking people.

One of the glossaries explicitly refers to that fog as a "bubble of evil". So the question there would be how canonical are the glossaries.

is it possible that the Black Wind has joined with Fain to prevent itself from being totally destroyed. and if so, what abilitys might it give him in terms of channeling since it is a live creature made fromt eh tain of Sadian.

Do note that the taint is not "of Saidin". It was on Saidin, but does not have anything specific to do with channeling. It is the essence of the DO, pretty much. It doesn't seem obvious or likely that absorbing the taint would grant someone the ability to channel. I also did not pick up on the hint you mention regarding the cleansing affecting the Ways; perhaps a citation can be provided? That would seem unusual, for much the same reason male channelers did not spontaneously become sane when the taint was cleansed.

4. The Ghulam. is he set to return?

No. Sanderson explicitly said the gholam died shortly after going through the skimming portal. One of the other five could always pop up, but it doesn't seem likely this late in the game.

EDIT for another response to another poster:

who was the person dressed all in black that confronted Lews Therin in the prologue to EOtW? Was that the dark one in some physical manifestation or one of the forsaken? And if it was, how did they get imprisoned? Lews Therin seemed to perish only moments later.

Ishamael. Lews Therin recognizes him. It's heavily hinted (not sure if stated outright in series proper, I think one of the other FS refers to it. There's also the name within a name stuff written after the Breaking that says Ba'alzamon = Ishamael, and he's not sealed) that Ishamael was never fully sealed with the other forsaken, so he was apparently free right after the sealing of the Bore. There was a section in the BBoBa that mentioned a theory by an Ogier scholar that Ishy was free for 40 years, then bound for 40 years. That reference book is subject to the same issue of no omniscient narrator as the books, but it fits well enough.

Edited by Grig

first thanks for answers Grig!!

[

is it possible that the Black Wind has joined with Fain to prevent itself from being totally destroyed. and if so, what abilitys might it give him in terms of channeling since it is a live creature made fromt eh tain of Sadian.

Do note that the taint is not "of Saidin". It was on Saidin, but does not have anything specific to do with channeling. It is the essence of the DO, pretty much. It doesn't seem obvious or likely that absorbing the taint would grant someone the ability to channel. I also did not pick up on the hint you mention regarding the cleansing affecting the Ways; perhaps a citation can be provided? That would seem unusual, for much the same reason male channelers did not spontaneously become sane when the taint was cleansed.

my memory isnat as good with the WoT as it is with HP, and i'm on my re-read right now but only on tDR. but when Rand cleanses the source, doesn't it refer to the Black Wind & Mashadar screaming and dieing? and isn't it speculated by characters that the Ways are safe to travel (ie: that the Black Wind died)

i could be wrong; i often find i'm wrong when i try to remember things in this series with having not done a re-read in a while :laugh:

*snaps fingers about the Ghollam* i still think it was a cheap way to kill him though, he had such potential to kill everyone and remake the world in his image!! :ph34r: