DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I'm only half-way through the TOM, but I would like to know why Egwene hasn't asked Rand why the Seals have to be destroyed? The others haven't asked either, but she is plotting against him by usurping his rule with the monarchs of the realm. It would seem to me that she should've. After the way she maneuvered the Hall with the army/monarch thing I found myself disappointed that it never occurred to her to find out why he wants to destroy the seals.

I'm only half-way through the TOM, but I would like to know why Egwene hasn't asked Rand why the Seals have to be destroyed? The others haven't asked either, but she is plotting against him by usurping his rule with the monarchs of the realm. It would seem to me that she should've. After the way she maneuvered the Hall with the army/monarch thing I found myself disappointed that it never occurred to her to find out why he wants to destroy the seals.

This has been discussed to death in various Egwene bashing threads. I'm sure you've seen those. You won't find any answers in the book. Yes, she should have asked but Rand should have also explained his reasons better. He did with Nynaeve and she agreed. This was simply needed for correct plot development. That's usually the explanation when characters start behaving too irrationally.

I was reading a post in the 'who will betray Rand' thread in the AMoL forum and a question occurred to me. It's probably been mentioned before but I haven't seen it.

It would be interesting to see if Tuon could still use the a'dam to train damane if she had the copied medallion which Mat wants to give her that does not allow her to touch the source while holding it. In fact, if any sul'dam is even shielded regularly, can she still use her ter'angreal?

Hi All,

So, I am listening to Knife of Dreams again, and found myself wondering: after Loial is married, why did Rand want to send him out to close Waygates? Didn't Loial just return from completing exactly that task? Or, what is it that I am not putting together?

Thanks

Theradave

I thought I'd re-up this quick question, as I know I posted it just before JordanCon started. Any thoughts are appreciated.

This has been discussed to death in various Egwene bashing threads. I'm sure you've seen those. You won't find any answers in the book. Yes, she should have asked but Rand should have also explained his reasons better. He did with Nynaeve and she agreed. This was simply needed for correct plot development. That's usually the explanation when characters start behaving too irrationally.

You know while I don't agree with what Egwene is doing, I don't think anyone can fault her on this. She wanted to talk to Rand about it (although I wonder how much talking about why Rand wants to break the seals it would be, instead of just trying to force him not to do it. Aes sedai don't typically discuss things with people who aren't aes sedai.), and Rand said he would only talk about it at the FoM. Not much she can do at that point. Doesn't mean she has to radically oppose though, but that's another subject.

Hi All,

So, I am listening to Knife of Dreams again, and found myself wondering: after Loial is married, why did Rand want to send him out to close Waygates? Didn't Loial just return from completing exactly that task? Or, what is it that I am not putting together?

Thanks

Theradave

There are Waygates at stedding and at the Ogier-built cities, whether or not they exist any more. Rand had sent Loial specifically to the stedding to ask the Elders to have the Waygates guarded back in ACOS, and Karldin was Traveling him around (they returned to Rand in COT). In KOD Rand wanted to send Loial after the other Waygates at the cities and such - he had only managed to take care of Illian, Cairhien, Tear, and Caemlyn (so he thought). There are several more, and we saw the result of the Waygate in Barashta (Ebou Dar) already.

Hi All,

Thanks

Theradave

There are Waygates at stedding and at the Ogier-built cities, whether or not they exist any more. Rand had sent Loial specifically to the stedding to ask the Elders to have the Waygates guarded back in ACOS, and Karldin was Traveling him around (they returned to Rand in COT). In KOD Rand wanted to send Loial after the other Waygates at the cities and such - he had only managed to take care of Illian, Cairhien, Tear, and Caemlyn (so he thought). There are several more, and we saw the result of the Waygate in Barashta (Ebou Dar) already.

That makes sense. Thanks.

She knows why he wants to break them.

ToM

"You can't break the seals," Egwene said. "That would risk letting the Darok One free"

"A risk we must take, Clear away the rubble. The Bore must be opened fully again before it can be sealed."

Egwene then tries to discuss it with him

"We must talk about this," she said. "Plan"

Rand follows with

"That is why I came to you. To let you plan." He seemed amused.

and then refuses to speak of it further until they meet at the FoM.

I have seen the Egwene bashing threads, in fact I've written a few. Generally relating to this type of post. Since TGS I have come to like Egwene, even though I agree that she acts irrationally at times when she shows greater intelligence and wisdom. Your summation is the same as I had been thinking, but I thought I would throw it out there.

@ Suttree - The point I'm at in the book is not where you are quoting from. I'll keep my eye out for it. The fact that she didn't asked for the specifics of why the seals must be destroyed when Rand told her, is what frustrated me. In your quotes she asks to discuss a plan, not why he wants to destroy them, but I think it might come up. She knows that he wants to destroy them to reseal the bore, but why the seals have to be destroyed in order for the bore to be sealed is something she doesn't know.

@ Suttree - The point I'm at in the book is not where you are quoting from. I'll keep my eye out for it. The fact that she didn't asked for the specifics of why the seals must be destroyed when Rand told her, is what frustrated me. In your quotes she asks to discuss a plan, not why he wants to destroy them, but I think it might come up. She knows that he wants to destroy them to reseal the bore, but why the seals have to be destroyed in order for the bore to be sealed is something she doesn't know.

That comes in Chapter 3 "The Amyrlin's Anger", maybe you skipped by? I know I miss a ton when I'm on my first read...

Edited by Suttree

In the SR, Lanfear tells Rand that there are only two things that are more powerful Callindor. So one I think is the ko'denkal or however you spell it and whats the other one?

We have no idea, hasn't been revealed, not yet anyway :wink:

Believe me, people have been waiting for it for 9 books now heh

Edited by Finnssss

@I Am The Dragon Reborn:

It's been hypothesized that the Ring of Tamyrlin is the other sa'angreal that Lanfear was referring to

along with the Choedan Kal, but I don't think there's any concrete evidence of it in the books. The ring

was worn by the leader of the Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends, if I recall correctly, which probably means

that Lews Therin torched it along with his family after the strike at Shayol Ghul.

Now for my question...

Do we ever get an explanation for Slayer's origin? I read the book a few months back

but don't remember anything besides Graendal being chastised for her latest failure

with him and the dreamspike. Are we ever going to know how the whole Luc/Isam combo

came about or at least about Slayer's relationship with the Tower of Ghenjei?

In the SR, Lanfear tells Rand that there are only two things that are more powerful Callindor. So one I think is the ko'denkal or however you spell it and whats the other one?

We have no idea, hasn't been revealed, not yet anyway :wink:

Believe me, people have been waiting for it for 9 books now heh

..... you've been waiting 9 books for that the 2 stronger sar'angreal are the female and male choden'kal's, your wait is over.

..... you've been waiting 9 books for that the 2 stronger sar'angreal are the female and male choden'kal's, your wait is over.

That a male can use... :rolleyes:

Also, is there any insight about my question concerning whether the sul'dam/damane link will work if the sul'dam is shielded or carrying one of the imperfect foxhead medallions?

we saw the result of the Waygate in Barashta (Ebou Dar) already.

Have we? Wait, do you mean that raid Tylee encountered?

I have seen the Egwene bashing threads, in fact I've written a few.

That's fine. But this one is for simple questions, so let's please leave it at that.

Do we ever get an explanation for Slayer's origin?

Only this that I'm aware of:

Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.

Isam waited in the high passes.

The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now course, and kill.

One did live, and one did die, but both are.

The Time of Change has come.

Blood feeds blood.

Blood calls blood.

Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

And Sid, sorry, I don't.

we saw the result of the Waygate in Barashta (Ebou Dar) already.

Have we? Wait, do you mean that raid Tylee encountered?

Yeah, they were inside the defensive perimeter, so they had to come from the Waygate, or maybe a Portal Stone. But we know there is a Waygate there.

Also, is there any insight about my question concerning whether the sul'dam/damane link will work if the sul'dam is shielded or carrying one of the imperfect foxhead medallions?

in book 3 siuan says there are only 2 more powerful sar angreal in the world besides callandor without making any reference to it being male only.

“The Sword That Cannot Be Touched is a sa'angreal, girl. Only two more powerful were ever made, and thank the Light, neither of those was ever used. With Callandor in your hands, child, you could level a city at one blow.”

There is the quote. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lan fear says there is 2 but she only knows that 1 is still around and since shes been locked up for 3000 years and moraine has all the knowledge of aes sedai and the white tower we can assume that moraine is right.

in book 3 siuan says there are only 2 more powerful sar angreal in the world besides callandor without making any reference to it being male only.

“The Sword That Cannot Be Touched is a sa'angreal, girl. Only two more powerful were ever made, and thank the Light, neither of those was ever used. With Callandor in your hands, child, you could level a city at one blow.”

[...]

Lan fear says there is 2 but she only knows that 1 is still around and since shes been locked up for 3000 years and moraine has all the knowledge of aes sedai and the white tower we can assume that moraine is right.

Siuan (not Moiraine, I believe) doesn't know everything. It's been demonstrated again and again that modern AS forgot much of what they once knew. You indicate that you're familiar with what Lanfear said, so you know one other male sa'angreal was once made. Whether it survived the ages or not is not something Siuan/Moiraine is likely to know. They don't, for example, seem to know anything about who Tamyrlin or what his namesake ring was.

The reason people continue to argue that there are two male sa'angreal stronger than Cal is because RJ was asked specifically asked this and he didn't correct them, he simply said RAFO.

Q: In The Shadow Rising, Lanfear mentioned two sa'angreal stronger than Callandor that a male could use. Is the second one ever going to appear?

RJ: Read And Find Out.

If you're familiar with RJ Q&A's, even when he was answering with a RAFO, he would still usually correct incorrect or overly assumed information in a question and at least make a (usually sly or mysterious) comment about that information before giving the RAFO.

No, it's not definitive but it's more than what half the theories around have to go on :biggrin:

Edited by Finnssss

The reason people continue to argue that there are two male sa'angreal stronger than Cal is because RJ was asked specifically asked this and he didn't correct them

Actually, it's because Lanfear said so. As Sid mentioned, as well as that person you quoted.

"I cannot trust you fully, Lews Therin. Not yet." She came closer, and he considered simply seizing her. He was bigger and stronger by far - and blocked as he was, she could wrap him up in the Power like a kitten tangled in a ball of string. "Not with that, certainly," she added, grimacing at Callandor. "There are only two more powerful that a man can use. One, at least, I know, still exists. No, Lews Therin. I will not trust you yet with that."

There is no debate here.

Edit: didn't see your reply yoniy0

Edited by Sid

Actually it's the other way around, except for some recently invented weaves that didn't exist in the AoL, The Forsaken are continuously shown to know far more about the power than modern Aes Sedai.

I've always wondered about the three ta'veren from the Two Rivers. As BS said at some point (or was it RJ?), the "Ishamael soul" is often spun out as a twin soul to the Dragon. Is there any information if it is the same thing with Mat and Perrin?