DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Can Masuri travel pre Caemlyn trip?

"the snakebiites from the bubble of evil had affected the two of them and Masuri--- the only one of the Aes Sedai who had been bitten --- worse than the others."

I just cant see that throwing in Masuri among the two asha man who can definately travel as getting sicker then the rest being accidental

Pretty sure she can't. Perrin's timeline, logistics problems and isolation work precisely because only the two Ashaman can Travel. It's true that some of the WO were taught the Travel weave by Egwene. But the ones who went with Perrin didn't know it. So Masuri cannot Travel.

Maybe the point to the quote you gave is that channelers get hit harder?

well I was thinking it could point to masuri being BA more than her just screwin around wanting to waste time

In PoD during Rand's campaign against the Seanchan:

High Lady Suroth goes to the commanding general that believes he faces a large army. She tells him, that in fact he just faces 5000-6000 men and 50 Asha'man that can travel.

How does she know this? Of course this could be some darkfriend ploy with Dashiva telling Morridin, Morridin telling Semirhage, Semirhage telling Suroth, but I somehow doubt that any sane DF would use DF information for something it could be traced back to DF. Therefore - does she have another source?

Somewhere in PoD Sorilea teaches Cadsuanne Traveling.

Where did she learn it from?

Well, the answer can actually be found a single page up-thread:

And Sorilea gets it from Egwene?

Yes.

She did not know most of the Wise Ones in the room, but one face jumped at her. Amys’s prematurely white hair combined with features that appeared short of their middle years to give her something of the look of an Aes Sedai. She must have Traveled from Cairhien. Egwene had been teaching the dreamwalkers, to repay their teaching about Tel’aran’rhiod. And to meet a debt, she claimed, though she had never made clear what debt.

EDIT: Regarding Suroth, I believe it was the Shadow that tipped her off. Who among the Seanchan would suspect it?

Oh, and please don't post twice in a row. It's confusing. You can always edit your post to include something else, just like I did here.

Edited by yoniy0

EDIT: Regarding Suroth, I believe it was the Shadow that tipped her off. Who among the Seanchan would suspect it?

Well, I'd say everybody among the Seanchan fears the Seekers of Truth. I do believe that even Suroth would make sure to have real sources for those guys.

Oh, and please don't post twice in a row. It's confusing. You can always edit your post to include something else, just like I did here.

Ok, won't do that again. I'm used to other boards having rules that prefer posting one post per question instead of multiple ones, because a single question in a multipost is more likely to get overlooked ;)

Well, I'd say everybody among the Seanchan fears the Seekers of Truth. I do believe that even Suroth would make sure to have real sources for those guys.

Yeah, you might be right. It wouldn't be hard for Osan'gar to arrange for a pigeon from some 'spy' in Rand's forces, though.

Ok, won't do that again. I'm used to other boards having rules that prefer posting one post per question instead of multiple ones, because a single question in a multipost is more likely to get overlooked ;)

Hmm, that's interesting. I find it confusing because I think someone posted an answer to the original post and then have to double back when things don't make sense. But I guess there are arguments for both sides. Well, it isn't really a board rule - not that I'm aware - so go ahead and do it however you prefer.

And Sorilea gets it from Egwene?
More accurately: from the dreamwalkers.

The dreamwalkers got it (and the other learned weaves/techniques) from Egwene.

And Egwene (in this case) figgured it out on her own.

Hmmm came across something strange in...CoS I think it was. Now I know the three lads get swirling colours when they think of each other, but in CoS (I think, it's on page 360 in my copy anyway) there's a mention of it when Rand's talking to Berelain and he's not thinking about either Mat or Perrin. Then in the next book there are at least two references to Rand seeing colours when neither of the other boys have been mentioned. One time he was thinking about Lews Therin. So any ideas what this is all about?

it's on page 360 in my copy anyway
It is generally best to use chapter references than page references. Not all have the same copy of each book. Edited by mb

Also, not everything Rand sees in his head is the same as the 'fan of colors' that is indicative to his connection with Perrin and Mat. For example, he's been seeing Moridin's face (albeit mostly out of focus) for some time now. I hoped to comment on a case by case basis, but there you have it.

Well the colours were described as "swirling" just as they are when the boys see each other, that's what really caught my attention. I will provide a quote but the book's upstairs and I'm too lazy to go get it until I need to go up for something else :p

Edited by Feral

Ok so it's chapter 18 As the Plow breaks the Earth. Rand's telling Berelain he'll give her any assurances she wants then he cuts off and we get:

Colours swirled so strongly in his head that his tongue froze. Lews Therin cackled.
Edited by Feral

Ok so it's chapter 18 As the Plow breaks the Earth. Rand's telling Berelain he'll give her any assurances she wants then he cuts off and we get:

Colours swirled so strongly in his head that his tongue froze. Lews Therin cackled.

We'll probably need the whole passage to get the context. It's likely that a discussion with Berelain involved her desire for Perrin which would be what caused the colors.

Perrin might have been mentioned like a few paragraphs before, but Rand had been talking quite a bit after this before the colours struck. Maybe there was a severe delayed reaction when the colours first started? Suppose that's the most likely explanation.

Guest PiotrekS

In EotW, chapter "The web tightens", page 613 (Orbit paperback, 2002), when Rand is standing before Morgase and Elaida, the Aes Sedai says:

"What chance this?" She said. "Today the unbeliever is brought into Caemlyn"

Why did she call Logain "the unbeliever"? I don't think it appeared anywhere else in the books...

In EotW, chapter "The web tightens", page 613 (Orbit paperback, 2002), when Rand is standing before Morgase and Elaida, the Aes Sedai says:

"What chance this?" She said. "Today the unbeliever is brought into Caemlyn"

Why did she call Logain "the unbeliever"? I don't think it appeared anywhere else in the books...

That's something I noticed. Put it down to early bookism.

From my understanding, the visions of the other taveren occur when they are many miles apart from each other. Perrin was still in same city as Rand at that point.

And that was also before Rand's encounter with Moridin.

Perrin might have been mentioned like a few paragraphs before, but Rand had been talking quite a bit after this before the colours struck. Maybe there was a severe delayed reaction when the colours first started? Suppose that's the most likely explanation.

I made a guess on this about five years ago and I haven't seen an alternate option that makes more sense yet. Anyway, I figure it was because the scene with Berelain was staged so that she could secretly sneak off with Perrin to go after Masema, which is revealed a few chapters later. This made Rand think (indirectly) of Perrin, and he didn't really understand the colors at that point so he didn't make the connection.

I'm doing a re-read of Winter's Heart and I am wondering about the part where Jahar left Cadsuane's party to Far Madding in "Among the Counsels". When Verin announces a man has channeled, is he outside of the guardian's barriers? I thought this was supposed to cut them off from the source like the stedding does, or does he have a well like Nyneave's and Cadsuane's?

He's outside the Guardian's influence. That's why the Council at Far Madding is merely worried but they don't freak out as they traingulate to try and find his position. Cadsuane is deliberately letting the Council know that there are Ashaman somewhere close to Far Madding.

Does anyone know what book and chapter Ishmael/Moridin's musing about the Age of Legend game similar to stones but with a key piece occurs? I can't recall the name of the game or the piece, just that control of the key piece is vital to winning the game and there are many strategies to winning. Thanks