DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Unrelated question.

Moggy is a Dreamwalker like Egwene. She has no need to use ter'angreal or to enter TAR in the flesh. Like Egwene when she's held captive in the WT, Moggy could communicate with whoever she chose to, and even to use OP in TAR, while being held in Salidar.

Even though the Supergirls know that, how could they cut her off? Did they even try? IIRC, there are no references to this.

Also, Moridin is a dreamwalker and so is Cyndane. Halima is a weak one but close enough physically to track her. Even if Moggy is too ashamed or fearful to contact them, why wouldn't they find Moggy's dreams and debrief her, forcibly if required, before she's rescued?

It makes the whole prisoner sequence in Salidar a little more difficult to believe.

I considered this, originally, just after tGS. I offered the unlikely scenario that Egwene could pull the captured Aes Sedai into the dream and sever them--severed they would be free of the a'dam, and the torture it brings. They would also no long risk the revelation of gateways, and they may well in time be healed.

And then a simple problem occured to me--what if the a'dam blocks acces to the dreams of its victims. Once this occured to me, I recalled exactly the situation you describe--Moghedien successful long term imprisonment under the a'dam despite her ability as a dreamwalker.

And that's what I offer back to you. Dunno if it helps.

May be worth asking Brandon? The a'dam is definitely a possibility and it would work - except that there are too many dreamwalkers who can't channel, hence immune to the a'dam. So it would have to be something convoluted like a channeler-dreamwalker can be blocked from TAR by using an a'dam while a non-channeler dreamwalker cannot!

It's actually possible that being in a link keeps you from touching the Dreamworld. As in the part of you that reachs to the Dream is instead reaching to clasp someone elses hand. Or is, you know, lock in a chain--if you get the gist.

Unrelated question.

Moggy is a Dreamwalker like Egwene. She has no need to use ter'angreal or to enter TAR in the flesh. Like Egwene when she's held captive in the WT, Moggy could communicate with whoever she chose to, and even to use OP in TAR, while being held in Salidar.

Even though the Supergirls know that, how could they cut her off? Did they even try? IIRC, there are no references to this.

Also, Moridin is a dreamwalker and so is Cyndane. Halima is a weak one but close enough physically to track her. Even if Moggy is too ashamed or fearful to contact them, why wouldn't they find Moggy's dreams and debrief her, forcibly if required, before she's rescued?

It makes the whole prisoner sequence in Salidar a little more difficult to believe.

I considered this, originally, just after tGS. I offered the unlikely scenario that Egwene could pull the captured Aes Sedai into the dream and sever them--severed they would be free of the a'dam, and the torture it brings. They would also no long risk the revelation of gateways, and they may well in time be healed.

And then a simple problem occured to me--what if the a'dam blocks acces to the dreams of its victims. Once this occured to me, I recalled exactly the situation you describe--Moghedien successful long term imprisonment under the a'dam despite her ability as a dreamwalker.

May be worth asking Brandon? The a'dam is definitely a possibility and it would work - except that there are too many dreamwalkers who can't channel, hence immune to the a'dam. So it would have to be something convoluted like a channeler-dreamwalker can be blocked from TAR by using an a'dam while a non-channeler dreamwalker cannot!

It's actually possible that being in a link keeps you from touching the Dreamworld. As in the part of you that reachs to the Dream is instead reaching to clasp someone elses hand. Or is, you know, lock in a chain--if you get the gist.

Doubt it myself. Dreamwalking is not related to channeling.

That's not precisely accurate. Dreamwalking and channeling are both tied to the soul--in channeling it appears the soul reaches out and touches the source--it is this soularm which is apparently sliced or seared away when burning out or severing happens (we know this because a person who has been burned out or still and is transmigrated by the Dark One remains burned out or stilled--ergo the arm, the bridge Nynaeve detected and healed, is of the soul).

By the same note, we know that it is a persons soul which enters the dream--we know this from when Perrin went too far into the dream when hunting Faile in Winter's Heart--Annoura and Berelain both feel him, and feel the coldness that is the sign of someone who has lost their soul (how Verin is able to detect the Ogier has no soul in tGH). Annoura specifically identifies it so.

So yes, one does not need to be able to channel to dream, or vice versa, but both skills lie in the soul. From there, we know that when linking that soularm reaches out through another channeler. It is presumably this soularm, therefore, that the a'dam influences.

The above all has evidence, this is where I move on to conjecture--specifically if the a'dam is like a handcuff around the soularm, and the soul of a channeler leaves the body to enter the dream, than being handcuffed to something could stop that--the soul can't reach far enough to touch the dream.

Make any sense?

Cool, I'm just saying you might get the chance to officially interview her (or Brandon) sometime in the next year, and I'd appreciate an opportunity to suggest a couple of questions.

Email them to me. If it happens, I'll throw them in there.

Not if the person creating and/or wearing the a'dam doesn't realize that perhaps. But I'm not an authority on the matter.

Second possibility is that it blocks entry but not a person actually being there after the fact.

Well, some have now transferred it to the Taim=Moridin theory. Some thinks it means that Taim was trained by Ishamael and picked up some of his habits. Some think it only means he has some familiarity with the Old Tongue and thinks that it's a silly name for a bunch of savages who don't seem to be dedicated to much beyond killing.

If the a'dam blocks a person's entry into TAR, wouldn't an a'dam in T'AR have a similar effect?

LOGIC BOMB!!!!)#@)(*&$#&*@#

I think the effect of the whole a'dam inside T'A'R thing is more to do with the beliefs and/or intent of the one doing the leashing and the beliefs or expectations of the one being leashed. That whole place seems to be based on thought and belief and such.

Not if the person creating and/or wearing the a'dam doesn't realize that perhaps. But I'm not an authority on the matter.

I hereby deem you an authority and hold you responsible for your ignorance. Seriously, though, that kind of goes along with what I said above. It has to do with what the leasher/wearer believes or expects to happen, and perhaps the strength of each one's will or their sharpness of mind if those beliefs are opposed.

is egwene going crazy? Because she has a small voice that brought her through the mesaana bit, much like LTT voice helped rand out during trying times

I think that's just like the little voice Nynaeve hears that tells her she's a coward and to blame for everything in the early books. The little voice we all hear now an then that points out things we don't notice straight away, or tells us things we don't like.

is egwene going crazy? Because she has a small voice that brought her through the mesaana bit, much like LTT voice helped rand out during trying times

I think that's just like the little voice Nynaeve hears that tells her she's a coward and to blame for everything in the early books. The little voice we all hear now an then that points out things we don't notice straight away, or tells us things we don't like.

to me the voice egwene heard when she was in the adam against mesaana seems like it is separate, not her conscious thoughts like nyns was

Which is, of course, what Lews Therin was all along.

If the a'dam blocks a person's entry into TAR, wouldn't an a'dam in T'AR have a similar effect?

If we're going purely on my conjecture? Well, if the reason the a'dam stops someone touching the dream is because it is holding a part of the soul, thus restraining the soul from extending itself into the dream, then wearing an a'dam in the dream wouldn't throw them out of the dream, rather its more likely to hold them in the dream--this might explain why Moghedien didn't simply wake herself up despite the fact that Nynaeve didn't seem to be concentrating on holding her there.

Where the forkroot works its way in... *shrug*.

So I'm reading LoC and notice at Dumai's Well that Taim says something else strange about the Aiel.

When Rand tells him to raise the shield keeping the Shaido out Taim says that saving a few "renegade Aiel" was not worth the risk for the Shaido overrunning them. He was talking about Rand's Aiel. The counterpoint to Perrin's insistence to help them. I'm sure someone else has noticed this.

Not a real question. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this.

Not a real question. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this.

I remember that coming up in the exhaustive Taimandred discussions back in the day. Most of the dialogue was focused on his 'So called Aiel' comment, but the 'renegade Aiel' remark was in the mix too. I always thought that was the more damning of the two lines until Taimandred was debunked. Having the knowledge of the reader, it would imply that Taim knows something that very few people alive in the Third Age would until Rand spilled the beans, and I've seen no instance of any non-Aiel commenting on it since then other than this one time and Forsaken.

Unrelated question.

There is no proof that the a'dam prevents access to TAR but wards can. In book 5, I believe, Egwene is trying to look in on Rands dream's trying to find a way around his wards and she speculates that would be able to touch TAR even accidentally though such strong wards. If the girls put an inverted ward on Mog every night to "protect" her dreams and keep the other Forsaken out so she would not be able to communicate with them this may have also stopped her from reaching TAR.

In an unrelated question, why did Egwene's AS apparently just forget about the Red's setting up False Dragons? I know is was a lie by Suian and that they stopped showing Logain off to other Nobels when he was healed. But this seemed to have been completely forgotten in the last few books and when the tower is reunited no one even mentions one of the main reasons for making the Salidar sisters march on Tar Valon. Then there is also the foreshadowing and implication that this may actually be true. From the first book Ish said that the Tower had used false dragons in the past and in later books, 8 or 9, when we are given a POV from the BA hunters one of them makes the comment of how some of the reds refuse to acknowledge the rumors of setting up false dragons but don't deny it.