DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How did Therava overpower Galina after the battle of Malden

• RP - PLAYER
On 4/18/2024 at 12:13 AM, Michael Sirotta said:

I do not understand how Galina could be overpowered and re-,captured by the Shaido (Therava) after her escape, since she now possessed the oath rod and could now free herself from those oaths and use the one power to protect herself. Any ideas?

I could be wrong, but I thought she was forbidden from channeling, which as long the oaths were in place she physically could not break. 

So even with the Oath Rod in her possession, she could not be free until she found another channeler to release her.  

I think at least that it was something like that, that although she could get free, she needed help yet.

• 2 weeks later...

If she could have freed herself with the Oath Rod, she could have done so as soon as she got her hands on it.  She wouldn't have needed to escape in order to use it.  But she couldn't.

As was already said, she remained bound by it not to channel without permission.  But even if she could, she still needed someone else to channel into the Rod in order to release her.

I believe that in every example seem in the books, the person swearing an oath is never the same person who is channeling Spirit into it.  It always takes two channelers - one to activate the Rod, and another to swear the oath while touching it.

Even with the Rod, she couldn't release herself.  She needed another channeler.

• RP - PLAYER
2 hours ago, Andra said:

Even with the Rod, she couldn't release herself.  She needed another channeler.

Is that so? I seem to remember when Pevara and co. are rumbled with their secret meetings, one of the Aes Sedai says something along the lines of "Is not obvious what they are doing?" and then grabs the Rod, retakes the oath and then declares not to be a Darkfriend. In my head, she did this while everyone was still gawking at her. I suppose someone could have been in the process of channeling, but I kind of remember it differently than that. 

I'd look it up if I could think of what book it was in.

18 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Is that so? I seem to remember when Pevara and co. are rumbled with their secret meetings, one of the Aes Sedai says something along the lines of "Is not obvious what they are doing?" and then grabs the Rod, retakes the oath and then declares not to be a Darkfriend. In my head, she did this while everyone was still gawking at her. I suppose someone could have been in the process of channeling, but I kind of remember it differently than that. 

I'd look it up if I could think of what book it was in.

No, you're right.  My mistake.

The scene you're referring to takes place in Path of Daggers, chapter 26 "The Extra Bit."

A few different Sisters channel into the Oath Rod and re-swear the oath not to lie, to prove that they are telling the truth.  So far as I know, it's the only place we see that.  But others in the same scene are done as in the Raising ceremony, with one activating the Rod, and another swearing.

It appears that it's more tradition and ritual, rather than necessity.

---

I was looking for that scene before I posted, but couldn't remember where it was.  I should have waited. 😌

Edited by Andra