DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

What do people from Tar Valon call themselves? People from Tear for example are Tairens, but I don't think I've ever seen a name for someone from Tar Valon.

They don't need name for that. They live in the City.

Well, not spending the days "hunting" (while in truth visiting Berelain's country house) would have helped. Along with some quite different methods of handling the situation, which are 'evident' to Faile, but of course not to Perrin, who is not used to such behaviour. Think how it looks in the eyes of the other folk. This whole issue. This makes Faile disappointed.

Faile also expects Perrin to raise his voice with her, stans up and sometimes put her into her place (and Perrin should guess when!), while not giving that kind of attention to others.

Now he goes and shouts with Berelain instead. So he honors Berelain, but not her. This makes Faile hurt and somewhat jealous (and she's already jealous by default).

Some books later a Faile's PoV explains what it is that Perrin's doing well then.

Edited by csarmi

Did we ever figure what this dream of Eggy's was all about?

tPoD "Stranger Written Law"

Recently, all her dreams about Mat were pale and full of pain, like shadows cast by nightmares, almost as though Mat himself were not quite real.

Is that just from his injuries in Ebou Dar or was there something more?

Recently, all her dreams about Mat were pale and full of pain, like shadows cast by nightmares, almost as though Mat himself were not quite real.

I'm think this is about his trip to Finnland. The 'pale and unreal' feeling, I expect, is due to him not actually being in the same world as her at the time.

Can rand see a difference between people who are force turned or voluntarily turned?

We don't know for sure. I'd suggest it doesn't matter as he really doesn't seem concerned about Darkfriends any more.

Edited by Din

Hello,

A few years ago someone wanted me to read The Wheel of Time, to add to the conversation at work. I did so. I felt a little forced through it, but it was a fun ride. I have a question though.

At some point in the series the connection between Slayer and Isam was revealed to me. Not in the book. By the friend. I never saw it. I read through the series a second time, and still never saw the connection. Can anyone explain it to me, and how exactly it was revealed to us?

Hello,

A few years ago someone wanted me to read The Wheel of Time, to add to the conversation at work. I did so. I felt a little forced through it, but it was a fun ride. I have a question though.

At some point in the series the connection between Slayer and Isam was revealed to me. Not in the book. By the friend. I never saw it. I read through the series a second time, and still never saw the connection. Can anyone explain it to me, and how exactly it was revealed to us?

Slayer is some kind weird merging of Isam (Lan's cousin, the Malkier baby raised in the Blight), and Lord Luc (Rand's uncle) the brother to the daughter heir of Andor who was sent into the Aiel Waste (or maybe the Blight, I can't remember) by the Aes Sedai Keeper who had the Foretellings (including the one about the Dragon being reborn). The first mention of them is in the Great Hunt when Luc and Isam are mentioned together in the dark prophecy written in the dungeon. Throughout the books we see many instances of this strange combination. In The Shadow Rising, Perrin fights Slayer in T'A'R (a man that looks a little like Lan) and wounds him with an arrow. Then we see that Lord Luc is the one that is injured in the waking world. We see Slayer enter and exit T'A'R and shift between the two personas in later books. We have a point of view from Slayer that indicates that he can control which aspect he shifts to when he enters or leaves T'A'R.

Sorry, wish I had some quotes on this, this is all just memory. But you could use the WoT online encyclopedia and search for Slayer POVs and it should clearly show this info.

Thank you!

I'll check the encyclopedia, but it seems the dungeon prophecy is the link I was missing. I'll have to look up its wording.

There's also the Slayer POV in WH, when he attempts to kill Rand and Min in Far Madding, in which he thinks of himself as both Luc and Isam.

Why does AOL chanellers tilt their head as if they are straining to listen? Examples I most recently noticed are in TSR: Lanfear meeting Rand near the beginning of the book, Asmodean as Jasin Natel, and AOL Aes Sedai near Ruhidean.

Why does AOL chanellers tilt their head as if they are straining to listen? Examples I most recently noticed are in TSR: Lanfear meeting Rand near the beginning of the book, Asmodean as Jasin Natel, and AOL Aes Sedai near Ruhidean.

Do you have a more accurate reference or a search phrase to use? I can't find the quotes you mentioned.

At the time, Mat was injured. He was also wearing the foxhead. That "might" lead to the not quite real effect - we have no idea if it does funny things in "dreamspace".

She doesn't specifically see a missing eye or strange locales so it probably isn't about his future visit to Finnland.

I have two questions I've been wondering about for a while - and I'm sorry if these are answered elsewhere:

1) Does anyone else think that Alliandre's point of view in ToM was a little strange? During my first read through it almost made me suspicious as to whether or not she could be a darkfriend...

2) I've read a lot of comments regarding Taim's likelihood of being a Forsaken in disguise, but there is one big thing that confuses me about that... I was thinking about how Rand was able to see the black cords that bound the other male forsaken who were protected from the Dark One's taint, and I don't quite remember what was going on each time he saw Taim before the taint was cleansed, but I think he would have remarked on seeing them around Taim if he was a forsaken in disguise (unless the cords could be hidden by the mask of mirrors?).

Thanks!! :biggrin:

1) Does anyone else think that Alliandre's point of view in ToM was a little strange? During my first read through it almost made me suspicious as to whether or not she could be a darkfriend...

I do, but I think its just a result of Brandon's writing style--if you listen to his fantasy fiction video interview, he speaks of how his first draft is writen, and he basically just slogs in the information, and later goes through to edit for prose and flow and so forth. It's a very formulaic style, but it does make some sense when it comes to writing in someone elses world--especially at the quantity and speed that he is being asked to produce it.

That being said, it can end up with some very literal moments. Alliandre is a queen. Check. She is struggling for her country with very little power. Check. The problem with this is she comes across a little odd--it feels at times almost as if she is structuring her own thoughts to portray what she thinks others should see.

It's much the same as Olver, I think, with his very literal consideration of his parents murder, and how he relates everything he does to that. That's the defining point of his character history, so that's the basis of the formula Brandon's constructed to write him. We see it in other characters too--Berelain's really creepy understanding of her relationship with Perrin, for instance...

2) I've read a lot of comments regarding Taim's likelihood of being a Forsaken in disguise, but there is one big thing that confuses me about that... I was thinking about how Rand was able to see the black cords that bound the other male forsaken who were protected from the Dark One's taint, and I don't quite remember what was going on each time he saw Taim before the taint was cleansed, but I think he would have remarked on seeing them around Taim if he was a forsaken in disguise (unless the cords could be hidden by the mask of mirrors?).

Rand's only been able to see those when in weird places (TAR, the Skimming place). When he slices Asmodean's, he very specifically does so based on memory of where they were, and note that he never sees them around 'Dashiva', 'Selene', 'Kellie' or 'Natael'.

What happened to all the Trakands? We've only seen Morgase and Elayne.

About the bubbles of evil. It seems odd to me that when they first are introduced we get a hole lot of them (by hearing odd rumors). But then for quite a wile they don't shot up at all. Is there a reason for that?

Are there any darkfriends among the andoren nobels?

Did Moridin ever talk to Demandred? If yes, when?

Great theory: Demandred really is Moridin! *gasp*

Sylvase likely is. She loaned Elayne the interrogator who eventually helps free the captured dark friends.

In TGS they speak briefly. Demandred claims Rand is his to kill and Moridin doesn't exactly contradict him.

No, no. You've fallen for the obvious red herring. The truth of the matter is that Demandred is the father of all fades. The fact that he never smiles is a dead giveaway. What are the odds that two characters who never smile would be in the same book?

What happened to all the Trakands? We've only seen Morgase and Elayne.

About the bubbles of evil. It seems odd to me that when they first are introduced we get a hole lot of them (by hearing odd rumors). But then for quite a wile they don't shot up at all. Is there a reason for that?

We've also seen Gawain Trakand.

One Andoran noble who is definitely a DF is mentioned chatting to Rahvin in TFoH and then applauding Rand's sword practice in the early chapters of LoC.

Demandred and Moridin are also present together at the Ansaline

My question in its simplest form:

How many Asha'man are under Rands direct control? Lets leave out the Black Tower, unless we are talking about people like Logain, who have had direct contact with Rand. Also, where in the books would I find references to this? I saw on the WoT map listing armies that there are 175 Asha'man near Bandar Eban, and I didn't know that there were THAT many outside Taim's control...

To follow that up, it looks like there are, according to the WoT army map, Asha'man spread out all over where Rand's interests are... where can I find this information in the books? It's not that I don't trust the info, but if I take it for granted, then Taim only has 350 Asha'man total at the Black Tower currently, and many of those are not under his direct control.