1. 1. Where are you at on the TV show?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

18 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

I've been wondering at what point will others determine where a line has finally crossed over to "Aw hell no!" I mean as much as some seem determine to dislike the show because of changes across the board, there are others determined to like it for reasons...

Determined to like it because it is all we have…

7 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

I don't think there is a single line or change that would do it for me, but I think we just fundamentally view a lot of things differently if, after 3 episodes, you can convincingly say it's rubbish and you're out etc. I think there is plenty to criticise and plenty to praise so far, and unlike many of those upset with the show so far I find a lot of the comments from Rafe and Brandon Sanderson reassuring in terms of what they are at least trying to do - whether the execution is landed is another question. 

But I wouldn't judge any show after 3 episodes. It's pretty common with sitcoms to hear "It doesn't really get going until midway through S2" but that there was an episode or two in the first season that shows it's potential. I don't really understand the need for everything to be perfect straight away, there are very very few shows that do that. 

Like someone saying that WoT's IMDB rating doesn't have it in the top 250 TV shows and that that is disappointing is absolutely hilarious after 3 episodes. The US Office after 3 episodes of S1 was frankly awful. And it's an all-time great show. Different genres but that's how I look at all television really. 

Like my experience with ‘The Office’ (American version). So many people told me how awesome it was. I gave it an honest effort and watched 3 episodes. Didn’t see what the hype was all about. Didn’t think about it for a couple years until someone else convinced me to watch it again. Now I’ve streamed the entire run twice. One of my favorite comedy series ever. 

But less emotional investment than WoT. So we’ll see. Next episode in a few hours…

12 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Like my experience with ‘The Office’ (American version). So many people told me how awesome it was. I gave it an honest effort and watched 3 episodes. Didn’t see what the hype was all about. Didn’t think about it for a couple years until someone else convinced me to watch it again. Now I’ve streamed the entire run twice. One of my favorite comedy series ever. 

But less emotional investment than WoT. So we’ll see. Next episode in a few hours…

I didn't get hooked on season 1 either. Can't remember why I tried again. It's good on rewatches but Season 2 is where it becomes great. I can't count how many times I've watched it. I used to watch it while I did homework in college. Since it's moved over to Peacock I haven't watched it. I thought it would be nice to wait a few years for once. I basically have the show memorized now.

The show is a mixed bag for me.

I dont mind changes. I mind changes that are Bad. And I would say in my opinion, 50 percent of the changes that were made was bad

The Show also doesnt reflect the huge budget at all.It looks no more expensive than Shadow and Bone.

But that doesnt mean the Show is all Bad.

I said 50 percent of the changes was bad. But the Other 50...they are actually good.

So Im quite mixed. Todays episode is the decider for me

After watching some behind the scenes, I think a significant part of the budget went into designing practical sets. Emond's Field, Shadar Logoth, Breen's Spring were all significant constructions, and that's just the first three episodes.

I also do not think the Trollocs were cheap.

When the "up and down" of the CGI was pointed out to Rafe in a Reddit AMA, he sort of acknowledged it and said that the VFX teams were very hard hit and strained by COVID. Possibly true? Otherwise I feel like he'd have ignored that question. So makes me wonder if the same budget could have gone further without COVID-related staffing issues. 

Edited by Agitel

after ep 4 the show has lost me.

They transformed a pretty well written story into something that appears to be writen by a 12 year old.

I don't understand this obecession with the dragon stuff. Everything that happens must be about people thinking that x character is the dragon. And why weaken the story further by having nyn making something amazing that she didn't need to do and has no reason to be able to do?

42 minutes ago, divica said:

They transformed a pretty well written story into something that appears to be writen by a 12 year old.

I don't understand this obecession with the dragon stuff. Everything that happens must be about people thinking that x character is the dragon. And why weaken the story further by having nyn making something amazing that she didn't need to do and has no reason to be able to do?

Episode 4 sold me even further, I am so very much impressed how the show has progressed.  I am sorry that you are not enjoying the show though.

58 minutes ago, divica said:

I'm actually having fun with the misdirection of who the dragon is.  That Thom actually think Matt is a channeler is pretty funny to me.  I didn't originally love the idea that these people might think they are the dragon reborn, because that wasn't in the books.  I think part of the reason it works is that none of the believe itm too strongly yet.  

I do agree that Nynaeve's healing moment might have been a little overkill.  It was pretty awesome, but they are really going to have to explain her block so people don't expect her to heal everyone simultaneously  throughout the story.  

Edited by Pandemonium

I think the good part of ep 4 is I think after this episode there cant possibly be any fence straddling.

You will now either like or dislike it.

You are either on the bus or off it.

I remain on said bus. Punch and Pie for my homies. ?

With episode 4 out now, we have officially seen half of the season.

My judgement is....Its average.Just average.

Which is worrying for me because I dont think Amazon will renew the show for season 3 if its average.Especially with how expensive it is.

The show trails behind GOT, Witcher, Shadow and Bone (Yes I said it). But it certainly is not terrible.

One on hand, I blame the averageness on the Show Runner's questionable decisions.On the other hand, EOTW is the most average and derivative of the books so its hard to adapt.

Overall I enjoy the show for what it is, but dont have hopes for its future.Which is sad. cause it could have been great

9 hours ago, divica said:

I didn’t think it would be much good the books are quite slow to adapt I think 

I’ve read the entire series through about 4 times, and am currently about to start book 7 on my 5th reading. I love RJ’s world, the character development and everything about it. 

I’m trying to stay cautiously optimistic about the TV series. My husband hasn’t read the books and he says that it’s decent but he doesn’t think that the character development has progressed as well by this point as they did for LOTR. 

I don’t like some of the changes that they’ve made. I’m really upset that they left out Elyas Machera. I love his character and I think that he would have been a good way to show a lot of what is going on with Perrin. The one scene with the wolves was awkward and weird. I’m hoping that he shows up later maybe. I suppose I can understand the reason they invented Layla, but it seems weak. 

Also, I don’t feel like Nynaeve comes off as feisty in the show as she is in the books and Egwene is kind of bland. One of the reasons I love the books so much is that they have so many strong female characters, who are powerful in their own right.

I don’t like that they’re trying to bring women into the mystery of who is the Dragon. The whole point is the balance of male and female energy. Women can still wield the One Power… if the Dragon is a woman, there’s no balance to all of the women who can already wield it by having a strong male. ?

I also don’t understand why they’re making Liandrin a more prominent character. Perhaps to make it more poignant when everyone discovers her true nature. I also don’t like that they involved Moiraine in the capture of Logain. It was very clear in the books that she was a loner who didn’t trust or work with many of her sisters. Ugh… I could be here all day, lol! 

Also, those rings are FUGLY. ???

8 hours ago, LordyLord said:

With episode 4 out now, we have officially seen half of the season.

My judgement is....Its average.Just average.

Which is worrying for me because I dont think Amazon will renew the show for season 3 if its average.Especially with how expensive it is.

The show trails behind GOT, Witcher, Shadow and Bone (Yes I said it). But it certainly is not terrible.

One on hand, I blame the averageness on the Show Runner's questionable decisions.On the other hand, EOTW is the most average and derivative of the books so its hard to adapt.

Overall I enjoy the show for what it is, but dont have hopes for its future.Which is sad. cause it could have been great

I agree wholeheartedly. The show really doesn’t capture any of the magic from the books. 

I was disappointed with the Witcher because I don’t think that they did a very good job of explaining anything. I was confused and I’ve read all of the books except the last one. But it was entertaining. 

16 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

I think the good part of ep 4 is I think after this episode there cant possibly be any fence straddling.

You will now either like or dislike it.

You are either on the bus or off it.

I remain on said bus. Punch and Pie for my homies. ?

Agreed.  I'm officially off.

17 hours ago, divica said:

I was almost lost after the first 2 episodes, gave episode 3 a try and watched them all again multiple times.

Those 3 episodes are better the more you watch them - because it moves so fast.

The 4th episode, though.  Wow, that was bad. If Rafe started off with the singular goal of destroying the story and hope for book fans, episode 4 couldn't have been any more on point for that.  

There is not single scene or line of script that is any good.

I think we're seeing just how awful Rafe is when he has to create an entire sequence that doesn't even exist in the books - it was just so Hollywood. Like they just took another script and changed the names.

Edited by Maximillion

15 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

I was almost lost after the first 2 episodes, gave episode 3 a try and watched them all again multiple times.

Those 3 episodes are better the more you watch them - because it moves so fast.

The 4th episode, though.  Wow, that was bad. If Rafe started off with the singular goal of destroying the story and hope for book fans, episode 4 couldn't have been any more on point for that.  

I think we're seeing just how awful Rafe is when he has to create an entire sequence that doesn't even exist in the books - it was just so Hollywood. Like they just took another script and changed the names.

Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. I’ll assume you will be leaving like Dojo. I’ll look for you in the book threads. 

2 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. I’ll assume you will be leaving like Dojo. I’ll look for you in the book threads. 

Right now, I plan to keep watching.

I am an optimist and the optimist in me hopes Rafe is fired and we get some emergency surgery done on the show in time for season 2 (or season 3).

It's still saveable, but clearly not with RJ at the helm.

10 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Right now, I plan to keep watching.

I am an optimist and the optimist in me hopes Rafe is fired and we get some emergency surgery done on the show in time for season 2 (or season 3).

It's still saveable, but clearly not with RJ at the helm.

Your penchant for hyperbole is ridiculous 

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

Your penchant for hyperbole is ridiculous 

I wouldn't call it an hyporbole.

It is pretty clear that rafe's vision is very far from what a lot of people think the show should be. The longer he remains leading the project the further the series will be from what some people want.

And I think it is impossible to deny that there are several decisions that rafe took that are incomprehensible and only make the show worse for no good reason.

The thing about episode 4 is that it probably takes the greatest liberties with the show (the entire Nyneave/Logain/Moiraine/Lan storyline) and yet it is in my opinion the best so far.

That doesn't mean that following the book closer than that is bad, or that being looser in adapting the book will make it better. I just think it's all about the execution. The changes don't bother me because they hold true to what I feel is the soul of the story. The few things that don't typically depend on interpretation.

24 minutes ago, divica said:

I wouldn't call it an hyporbole.

It is pretty clear that rafe's vision is very far from what a lot of people think the show should be. The longer he remains leading the project the further the series will be from what some people want.

And I think it is impossible to deny that there are several decisions that rafe took that are incomprehensible and only make the show worse for no good reason.

The flaw there is that while a decision may be incomprehensible and make it worse for you, that's not the whole.

Your hiccup is right there in the first sentance "vision is very far from what a lot of people think."

Okay.  Define a Lot.  Then define that with the fact that more people are liking it than not.

Disliking is fine, discussing those dislikes is fine.  Trying to imply that your subjective stance is more correct than others (Not saying you're doing that specifically, but I see it all over) is not.

Look, I have tried and cannot get into A Song of Ice and Fire.  I've read it twice, gone through the series.  I understand it, but there's a ton of stuff I just don't like, don't think works and can't get behind.  That doesn't mean I'm right and the fans are wrong.  

Similarly, despite the Author being a bit of a jerk and a nut, I enjoyed at least the original Sword of Truth stuff (IE WFR through Confessor).  I don't think the people who dislike it, or can't get past the author's issues are "wrong" they just have a different opinion.

Watching the show with a family member who hasn't read the books. She saw episode 4 before I did and texted me if I knew who the Dragon Reborn was. Now I have seen it myself I understand her question. And applaud the writers and collaborators. Beautifully done. I am definately in the Love faction!

Edited by Mia
spelling mistakes

1 hour ago, Maximillion said:

If Rafe started off with the singular goal of destroying the story and hope for book fans, episode 4 couldn't have been any more on point for that.

^^ hyperbole

1 hour ago, Maximillion said:

^^ hyperbole 

This is the type of thing I’m talking about.