1. 1. Where are you at on the TV show?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Changes to positioning of the heron and the gem in the dagger for example are for camera purposes.

Hard to get shots of a heron or a gem when its hidden by the hand(s) gripping said blade.

To be sure, the hilt had a heron, and then another was etched into the blade near the base/cross guard.

Perhaps it is as you say, but not having it on the hilt (handle/grip) makes it very difficult for Rand to be branded, as is supposed to happen per the Karatheon Cycle.

The stills of the sword show the hilt, and the heron there is absent.

19 minutes ago, 2RiversFan said:

but not having it on the hilt (handle/grip) makes it very difficult for Rand to be branded, as is supposed to happen per the Karatheon Cycle.

I mean not really. It's just a matter of contriving a way for Rand to put his hand on the base of the blade during a battle. That seems to be a pretty easy lift.

20 minutes ago, 2RiversFan said:

It could also be hidden under the wrappings on the hilt.

20 minutes ago, 2RiversFan said:

To be sure, the hilt had a heron, and then another was etched into the blade near the base/cross guard.

Perhaps it is as you say, but not having it on the hilt (handle/grip) makes it very difficult for Rand to be branded, as is supposed to happen per the Karatheon Cycle.

The branding can happen in a different way. The show has already altered things so having the twice marked can function a different way.

• Community Administrator
52 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I mean not really. It's just a matter of contriving a way for Rand to put his hand on the base of the blade during a battle. That seems to be a pretty easy lift.

It could also be hidden under the wrappings on the hilt.

The brands also don't have to be on his hands. 

I wonder if they'll change the location due to the palm being a bit of a pain to put makeup/silicon parts on...

Twice and twice shall he be marked,
twice to live, and twice to die.
Once the heron, to set his path.
Twice the heron, to name him true.
Once the Dragon, for remembrance lost.
Twice the Dragon, for the price he must pay.

4 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

I have an image of some character in some famous fantasy (?) movie branding his arms by holding some metal artifact over a brazier. Due to incipient alzenheimers ?, can't remember. Anybody with intact brain cells?

Sure it wasn't Kung Fu the Movie? lol

6 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

I have an image of some character in some famous fantasy (?) movie branding his arms by holding some metal artifact over a brazier. Due to incipient alzenheimers ?, can't remember. Anybody with intact brain cells?

That's been in two different series/movies if my memory serves.

The first was a single season of "Kung Fu" from the 70s: 

The other I can't recall right now... but I'm likely to remember it as soon as I hit "submit" button ?

• Community Administrator
6 minutes ago, AdamA said:

Stupidly enough, the first movie that comes to mind when I think of palm branding is Home Alone when Kevin hooks a heater to the door knob and Joe Pesci gets a "M" branded into his palm.

¡He's twice branded! Joe Pesci is the Dragon!

I read the first 3 books in the mid 90s as a young adult, rereading the earlier books each time a new one came out. 

I forced myself to begin the show with as low expectations as I could muster and was delighted to be proven wrong. I love it.

Most of the major changes just seem to be ways to adapt the story to a different medium without using as much time. It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to get the job done and still tell the main story in an enjoyable way. It does that for me. I enjoyed every moment and then at the end of ep.4 I fell in love with Zoë Robins' amazing eyes. If I were 20 years younger I'd be on my own epic quest across the world just to bask in her gaze for a moment. But alas.... This turn of the wheel is not for us...may we meet in the world of dreams ????

The only things that actually bother me are the largeness of the Aes Sedai rings and that the actress playing Liandrin looks JUST HECKIN LIKE an ex coworker I used to have who was like a total mean grumpy angry person who smirked all the time. Just. Like. That. You know? It's almost creepy.

I am watching with my 14 year old who has not read the books. He loves it. But he thinks Perrin is the DR because "the wolf blessed him" when it licked the wound. He says Rand CANNOT be the DR because "he doesn't seem smart. He doesn't even know how roads work." ??

I read the Eye of the World right after it was published.  I've re-read the entire series each year (all books published up to the point) every year and finished my last re-read about a month ago.

I've been an active member here, I've been an inactive member here (as the years have passed).

I've been waiting patiently for a movie or TV adaptation and Game of Thrones gave me high hopes!  These books were better!  Imagine how good the adaptation would be if GOT was so good!!!

This adaptation is a crime against humanity.  I can't believe Harriet signed off on it.  This is "another turning of the wheel"?  That's a weak answer for "I'm going to re-write this story to fit my needs and agenda"

Beyond that, talk about doing it cheaply.  A battle scene with an "army' of 30 or 40 people?  Bad CGI? No character development?

I get the difficulty.  These are long books and we've had 30 years to get to know Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nynave and the rest.  They have short windows to do so in this medium.  BUT, did the GOT folks have trouble developing Arya Stark or Jon Snow?  

I'm going to continue watching it but it will be hard.

Disclaimer:   I've been banned by my wife from saying: "WTF", "WTH", "THAT IS NOT IN THE BOOK!!!"or many variations of "I don't know what's going on, It didn't happen that way in the books"

5 hours ago, 2RiversFan said:

That's been in two different series/movies if my memory serves.

The first was a single season of "Kung Fu" from the 70s: 

The other I can't recall right now... but I'm likely to remember it as soon as I hit "submit" button ?

Jackie Chan in Shaolin Wooden Men? 

0CEF2741-754B-4F74-A843-BC40BB23A6B5.thumb.jpeg.d508dd84f3d78fe141204382664a3ffe.jpeg

5 hours ago, AdamA said:

Stupidly enough, the first movie that comes to mind when I think of palm branding is Home Alone when Kevin hooks a heater to the door knob and Joe Pesci gets a "M" branded into his palm.

I always think of Raiders, but this is basically the same scene. Haha. 

Just before the episode 4 premiere I posted a poll to rate individual experience based on the first 3 episodes.  Leaving out neutral - we had 52% positive and 31% negative.  Here are the updated results through 4 episodes with #5 coming tonight:

48% positive and 36% negative.  Still more good than bad, but a significant shift in the wrong direction.

Biggest jumps were in: Love it, Dislike it, and Hate it (almost doubled).  Like it and Neutral were fairly flat.

image.thumb.png.3820f07622901138090b1e1d6dfea39d.png

Edited by DojoToad
Added a bit...

Not as a descriptor of the quality of the series but in terms of public engagement I find number of official FB pages at least indicative of how the show is penetrating a broad audience.

So far:

WoT around 28k 

to be compared with;

The Witcher 550k

GoT  22 millions

The Arcane 180k 

Of course, WoT just started, so the numbers might hopefully rise (as the quality of the series, i voted dislike but i would have voted hate after ep.1, si i am still hoping it gets better). 

1 minute ago, fra85uk said:

Not as a descriptor of the quality of the series but in terms of public engagement I find number of official FB pages at least indicative of how the show is penetrating a broad audience.

So far:

WoT around 28k 

to be compared with;

The Witcher 550k

GoT  22 millions

The Arcane 180k 

Of course, WoT just started, so the numbers might hopefully rise (as the quality of the series, i voted dislike but i would have voted hate after ep.1, si i am still hoping it gets better). 

Dang.  Not much interest - yet.  End of season 1 will hopefully have better numbers.

11 minutes ago, fra85uk said:

Another descriptor

Imbd votes

So far 

WoT around 32k (7.5)

The Witcher 365k (8.2/10)

GoT around 2 millions (9.2/10)

Arcane 75k (9.3/10)

Again, numbers for WoT might become better (or worse)

I’m interested to see where WoT’s numbers are around the first of the year once all the episodes are out and people binge during winter break.