1. 1. Where are you at on the TV show?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, Guire said:

I think they are ok but I wished they would have been more true to Warder's and green Ajah character.  I know we see in later books that Aes Sedai are not nearly as competent at battle ajah as they think.  It would have been nice though for extremely trained warders to have scouts out though.  Also realizing target of Dragonsworn raid would be Logain earlier would have been nice.  Battle would have been cooler IMHO if camp had retreated initially closer to cave.  Form ranks of warders ( ideally some Tower Guard) to slow Dragonsworn while sisters mow them down.  Aes Sedai are tanks or mortars  not infantrymen.  Give them some room to work.  Battle could have played out same way with excellent arrow freeze barrage and Dragonsworn trying to flank camp members, except Warders and Aes Sedai would have appeared more proficient and prepared.  

Also they should have gone Star Wars and had every extra playing both Dragonsworn and Tower Guard.  Film each side separate than swap gear film other.  Have tighter shots in battle with us thinking we are seeing bigger numbers of combatants.  

I have gone back and re watched the actual battle and fight scenes and with the exception of the initial charge you never see more then 2-3 characters together at the same time. I imagine Covid really impacted filming this Scene. I would not be surprised if that initial charge was a bunch of extras who where on set for 1 day with no main cast about. Anyone tests +ve you don’t lose main cast (warders and Aes Sedai)  to isolation. Then the actual warders and aes sedai are kept in tiny bubbles and on filming each is filmed in isolation. 

Also if you go back and watch I am pretty sure there are only a handful, if that, of stuntmen used for the “bodies flying” scenes, a combination of costume and facial hair changes, as well as editing are used to seem more. The Directors of John Wick have talked about this, in the first scene the nightclub fight they had to reuse the same stuntmen throughout that one scene. They said it is an old trick you get your stunt fighters to grow out hair and beard for day one of shooting and as the film progresses they slowly become cleaner and cleaner looking until they are bald with no facial hair. 

For me Morraine talking about four Ta’evern rather than three in the books is an issue. The major factor that doesn’t sit well with me is when she says they aren’t sure if the Dragon will be a boy or a girl. The entire series is based on the Dragon and False Dragons being male and breakers of the world. The ageless appearance of AS isn’t. Also the way Mat is portrayed to being a low thief that seems to be a loser is wrong. On the other hand I like how Nynave is portrayed not taking crap from anyone, how the trollies and fade look, and how the weaves are created. I really hope they stay closer to the books.

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I have gone back and re watched the actual battle and fight scenes and with the exception of the initial charge you never see more then 2-3 characters together at the same time. I imagine Covid really impacted filming this Scene. I would not be surprised if that initial charge was a bunch of extras who where on set for 1 day with no main cast about. Anyone tests +ve you don’t lose main cast (warders and Aes Sedai)  to isolation. Then the actual warders and aes sedai are kept in tiny bubbles and on filming each is filmed in isolation. 

Also if you go back and watch I am pretty sure there are only a handful, if that, of stuntmen used for the “bodies flying” scenes, a combination of costume and facial hair changes, as well as editing are used to seem more. The Directors of John Wick have talked about this, in the first scene the nightclub fight they had to reuse the same stuntmen throughout that one scene. They said it is an old trick you get your stunt fighters to grow out hair and beard for day one of shooting and as the film progresses they slowly become cleaner and cleaner looking until they are bald with no facial hair. 

I keep forgetting this was all filmed during height of covid restrictions.  Good point.  As a health care worker I should have realized covid has just made everything worse. 

57 minutes ago, Thall said:

For me Morraine talking about four Ta’evern rather than three in the books is an issue. The major factor that doesn’t sit well with me is when she says they aren’t sure if the Dragon will be a boy or a girl. The entire series is based on the Dragon and False Dragons being male and breakers of the world. The ageless appearance of AS isn’t. Also the way Mat is portrayed to being a low thief that seems to be a loser is wrong. On the other hand I like how Nynave is portrayed not taking crap from anyone, how the trollies and fade look, and how the weaves are created. I really hope they stay closer to the books.

Ok I have made this point several times, just because the characters have the lore wrong does not mean the lore has changed. In fact this makes a lot more sense. After 3000 years when so much fact has been lost in the books, and so much is misunderstood, why would you automatically assume this detail is still known so clearly (men and women being spun out as the same gender all the time). In fact if anything it makes sense that over 3000 years the agents of the dark would use this as a way to create misdirection, spreading the idea that the dragon might be a women, making every female wielder who has significant talent a possible breaker of the world. The fact that in the books the Aes Sedai are considered by many in the stories to be just as equal in breaking the world as the Dragon was also feeds into that sense of mis understanding of the facts. 

Aes Sedai in the books are not infallible, they make mistakes and get things wrong. 

The agelessness doesn't bother me, either all the Aes Sedai would need to be portrayed by 20-25 year olds, leading to a whole argument about older women in film and TV, or you need to waste millions of pounds de-aging every Aes Sedai. 

Mat, most of his dark behaviour has happened after he took the dagger. 

Ta’evern, I don't see why the change was needed but then again it doesn't bother me that it has been done, it doesn't break the story any, and in some ways it kind of explains later on some of the things that happen around Egwayne (I am assuming she is the 4th) 

I don't get who the 5th Dragon could be, If they have made Egwayne the same age as the boys then maybe it is a reference to Elayne, it can't be Nyn as in the books when they attack Emonds Field they only attack the families of the 3 boys. 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

4 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Ta’evern, I don't see why the change was needed but then again it doesn't bother me that it has been done, it doesn't break the story any, and in some ways it kind of explains later on some of the things that happen around Egwayne (I am assuming she is the 4th) 

I don't get who the 5th Dragon could be, If they have made Egwayne the same age as the boys then maybe it is a reference to Elayne, it can't be Nyn as in the books when they attack Emonds Field they only attack the families of the 3 boys. 

The 5th is Nyneave.  She was individually targeted by the Trolloc that carried her off during Winternight.  They've mostly kept the specifically targeted thing in but didn't highlight it as much as they did in the books.   The al'Thor farm gets targeted.  The forge gets targeted.  And, Nyneave gets carried off.  That's 3 of the 5 and the other two might have been cut in the edit for whatever reason.   Or, they may have just did the 3 to reference the books but didn't want to highlight it too much for the whole "mystery" thing.

9 hours ago, ArrylT said:

Here is a video that may have all the GOT S1 fights in it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAPLiWPgLUQ

It should be noted though that GOT had 10 episodes in Season 1.  It seems the only big battles I believe involving large numbers of warriors was done off-screen - ie Whispering Wood.  Most of the fighting in S1 focuses one 1 on 1 fighting - and there has not been any of that in WOT yet.  The first major battle scene depicted in GOT was the Battle of Kings Landing near the end of S2.

https://www.vulture.com/article/game-of-thrones-battles-ranked.html

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, who could forget the decisive battle at the start of the War of the Five Kings, when Robb Stark’s forces ambushed and destroyed the army led by Jaime Lannister, taking the Kingslayer captive? Well, most people could forget it, honestly. Back in season one, budgetary and logistical issues prevented the series from actually depicting massive battles, leading to some … interesting workarounds.

In fact most of the articles I've seen ranking GOT Battles mainly focus on S4/5 and later - by which time GOT is fully established.

Meanwhile we're only 4 episodes into WOT in the first book which has a limited amount of fighting - to my recollection there have only been 3 fights total - and all have included the one power - which I think makes it very hard to compare stylistically to GOT

1 - Winternight

2 - Logain attacking the King of Ghealden

3 - Logains Dragonswarm attacking the Camp

But 2 of those, at least from my perspective, look to be larger in cast & action than those depicted in S1 GOT.   The Sword fighting in GOT S1 may be really solid - but again different story with different narrative.   WOT EOTW was not focused on 1 on 1 sword fighting imo.

those fights look solid, but yes indeed, they are different kinds of fights. and they don't look better that the ones in wot; as i said, i haven't seen any silly moves in either.

the end won me because armor rebuffed a blow. it's so rare for movies to depict armor being useful...

11 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

The 5th is Nyneave.  She was individually targeted by the Trolloc that carried her off during Winternight.  They've mostly kept the specifically targeted thing in but didn't highlight it as much as they did in the books.   The al'Thor farm gets targeted.  The forge gets targeted.  And, Nyneave gets carried off.  That's 3 of the 5 and the other two might have been cut in the edit for whatever reason.   Or, they may have just did the 3 to reference the books but didn't want to highlight it too much for the whole "mystery" thing.

I don't see it like that because the Trolloc seemed about to kill or eat her, and she is that much older then the others (a point Lan makes to Morraine about Logain) 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

I'm not happy with it.  Too many changes.....and from what I can tell, for no reason.  Are we seriously at the point that we can't have male and female characters that have different power?  I've read the series several times, and frankly more women have leadership roles then men.  Throughout the books....and Jordan split the roles well.  But now there are 4 Emond Fielders that might be the Dragon?  Why was that necessary?  The tower women willing to use the Power to fight in battles?  Why?  I mean it's not the acting....which I find pretty well done.  Casting is ok, too.  Its the writing.  Just disappointing.

Edited by Dew21
incomplete sentence

2 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

Strangely, we have male and female characters that have different power in this episode and with some character's power levels still unrevealed.

The male source is stronger, but tainted.  Rand picks up both Elayne and Egwene and has 10 other flows going.  Egwene comments on how this can even be possible.  Nyneave complains about it and yet she's the strongest female in the books.  But in the show Moiraine tells Lan that Egwene might be stronger than Logain.  My point is that these are changes that are unnecessary and just take away the integrity of the books.

Just now, Dew21 said:

The male source is stronger, but tainted.  Rand picks up both Elayne and Egwene and has 10 other flows going.  Egwene comments on how this can even be possible.  Nyneave complains about it and yet she's the strongest female in the books.  But in the show Moiraine tells Lan that Egwene might be stronger than Logain.  My point is that these are changes that are unnecessary and just take away the integrity of the books.

Rand, Egwene, Elayne, and others are comfortably fit in the set "with some character's power levels still unrevealed."    Nothing in the Nyneave scene takes away from any them and may actually support those future reveals of power being that much bigger and stronger.

It's one of three oaths that Aes Sedai take.  To never use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends for Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai.

Once again to my point.....This battle never took place in the books.  It didn't need to.  They took Logain to the White Tower for trial. 

Varin and Alanna Sedai wouldn't even directly fight in Emonds Field.  They weaponize the catapults, but don't enter into the fighting themselves.  It's one of the pillars of trust that nations have in the Aes Sedai.  That they won't use the One Power as a weapon. 

2 hours ago, Dew21 said:

Are we seriously at the point that we can't have male and female characters that have different power? 

2 hours ago, Dew21 said:

But in the show Moiraine tells Lan that Egwene might be stronger than Logain. 

Just like in the books. Moiraine cannot feel Logain's power. She knows egwene is stronger than she is. She knows logain is stronger than she is. She has no way to directly relate egwene's and logain's power.

there's lots of real changes from the books. but there's also a lot of stuff that's just like in the books; except that we have all the knowledge of the full 14 books, and we forget how in the first book people in-world were ignorant of that. Heck, remember that in the first book moiraine tells egwene that men and women are equally strong, because the relative strenght of men and women was lost knowledge.

The tower women willing to use the Power to fight in battles?  Why?

In battles against a false dragon? against his supporters trying to break through the aes sedai camp?

Since when have the aes sedai not used the power in such a situation?

Again, this is completely consistent with the books

Once again to my point.....This battle never took place in the books.  It didn't need to.  They took Logain to the White Tower for trial. 

yes, this battle (or a similar one) happened in the books, it just happened offscreen. We know that logain was captured in battle, and we know aes sedai were killed in battle. that's pretty much all we know of it from the books.

as for why, in general, they introduced this plot line?

First, to have a convenient excuse to explain all the stuff with the false dragons - and some things about aes sedai organization - without having moiraine talk for hours from horseback without anything happening.

Second, to differentiate wot from LotR. Some critics already are saying it's too derivative, yet another bunch of village people being led by a mysterious magician in a quest, how unoriginal. logain and his business is something that sets wot apart

Edited by king of nowhere

Changes that were unnecessary.  Moiraine never met Logain.  Moiraine and Siuan knew what they were after.  A male child born 18 years prior on the side of Dragon Mount.  Their whole plan was based on this from a foretelling.  There was no question about Logain....or Egwene or Nyneave.  None.  She would have never had that discussion with Lan, because neither fit the prophesy. I'll concede the point from the show that she wouldn't feel saidin so she wouldn't know how strong Logain was.  I won't about Aes Sedai using the One Power in battle or war.  Its a turning point in the books when Egwene decides to use it in battle because she and the new Aes Sedai never swore oaths with the oath rod.  Aes Sedai would use any other method but its use as a weapon.  Their influence with world leaders depended that much on this one oath.  They would have lost all footholds if they did.

These are why I'm not enjoying the TV show.....Changes that were unnecessary and don't make a relevant point. 

9 minutes ago, Dew21 said:

Changes that were unnecessary.  Moiraine never met Logain.  Moiraine and Siuan knew what they were after.  A male child born 18 years prior on the side of Dragon Mount.  Their whole plan was based on this from a foretelling.  There was no question about Logain....or Egwene or Nyneave.  None.  She would have never had that discussion with Lan, because neither fit the prophesy. I'll concede the point from the show that she wouldn't feel saidin so she wouldn't know how strong Logain was.  I won't about Aes Sedai using the One Power in battle or war.  Its a turning point in the books when Egwene decides to use it in battle because she and the new Aes Sedai never swore oaths with the oath rod.  Aes Sedai would use any other method but its use as a weapon.  Their influence with world leaders depended that much on this one oath.  They would have lost all footholds if they did.

These are why I'm not enjoying the TV show.....Changes that were unnecessary and don't make a relevant point. 

But in the books they used it in battle against logain

Eotw ch4

“The Aes Sedai are already into it,” the peddler spoke up. “A party of them has ridden south from Tar Valon. Since he can wield the Power, none but Aes Sedai can defeat him, for all the battles they fight, or deal with him once he’s defeated. If he is defeated.”

Eotw ch13

Or down in Ghealdan? There’s been a big battle down there, they say. Real big.”

Moiraine drew a soft breath. “I had heard that Aes Sedai were going to Ghealdan.”

“Yes, they did, mistress.” Avin’s head started bobbing again. “They went to Ghealdan, all right, and that’s what started this battle, or so I hear. They say some of those Aes Sedai are dead. Maybe all of them. I know some folks don’t hold with Aes Sedai, but I say, who else is going to stop a false Dragon? Eh? And those damned fools who think they can be men Aes Sedai or some such. What about them? Course, some say—not the Whitecloaks, mind, and not me, but some folks—that maybe this fellow really is the Dragon Reborn. He can do things, I hear. Use the One Power. There’s thousands following him.”

Edited by Ralph

18 hours ago, DojoToad said:

They couldn’t get the attempted jail break of Logain right, and you think the battle at Falme will be amazing?

I didn't think it was that good, but now that you -an unreliable critic of the show- have disparaged it I have to assume that it was better than I thought it was

And as has been repeated ad nauseam- season 2 is likely to better, as is the case for the majority of television shows that have ever aired. That's without even considering COVID protocols which likely impacted the 1st season of shooting. Will Falme be amazing? Can't say for sure but if they can even pull a 7/10 pull off it will likely be enough momentum to get 8 seasons of 8 episodes. Hopefully it's even better, and that translates to a few more episodes or an extra season or 2 along the way

On 11/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, Deadsy said:

You joined this forum for the first time just to whine about the show

In regards to this comment on Aluudra's feedback, this isn't very nice or welcoming. I'm in the hate category as well. I've been coming to look at things on this forum off and on for many years but have never been a commented before since I had to become a member to do so and didn't really have any compelling urge to comment. I feel the TV series has just gutted the basic premise and spirit of the books and is unnecessarily gory and bloody, profane, sexual and woman dominated. 

2 hours ago, Dew21 said:

I think that was one of the reason the group that captured Logain went from hundreds of guards and dozens of Aes Sedai (in the book) to that small group.  So they would be in danger and fight, also they can use the power in defense of their warder or their own life. I admit the whole trouble holding Logain and having to fight for their lives like that made the Aes Sedai look pretty amateurish.   We saw when Mat was fighting the people looking for Tuon, the Aes Sedai had to feel in danger to use the power.  But they did fight the attackers.

5 hours ago, csmoptop said:

In regards to this comment on Aluudra's feedback, this isn't very nice or welcoming. I'm in the hate category as well. I've been coming to look at things on this forum off and on for many years but have never been a commented before since I had to become a member to do so and didn't really have any compelling urge to comment. I feel the TV series has just gutted the basic premise and spirit of the books and is unnecessarily gory and bloody, profane, sexual and woman dominated. 

If you think those things weren't in the books you weren't paying attention.

12 hours ago, Dew21 said:

You haven't made any kind of defense of your main point, which is that the changes were unnecessary. I highly disagree with this. Even with the changes, the non-readers who don't like the series often comment that it looks like a LotR clone. A lot of those same people have a lot of good things to say about the 4th episode. Bringing Logain and the Aes Sedai to the forefront early on was a must in my opinion to show how unique this story is. It is also a good way of showing, not telling, what happens to male channelers.

Doing what a lot of people claim they want would have doomed this show. They had to focus on what hooks people new to the story and keeps them watching, first and foremost.

Edited by Deadsy

I hated the first 3 episodes with the fire of a thousand suns (or one Nynaeve super healing).  I forced myself to watch Ep4 because I read comments on this site saying it was better.  It was, but not by much.  Things I hated, in no particular order:

*the entire cold opening.  TDR can be a woman?   Almost stopped watching after 2 minutes. I swore so loudly I scared the dog.

*Lan and Moraine bathing together.

*Rand and Egwene shagging.  In the common room of the Winespring in no less apparently.   So it's not enough that Rand gets it on with Elayne, Min and Aviendha?   Gotta have him getting jiggy with Egwene too?  Or will the eliminate one or more of the others?

*Abel Cauthon being a drunk, a womanizer AND a coward.  

*How rushed everything felt (to the point that my wife, a total newbie said it was so incredibly confusing)

*Bran not even being fat or wearing a white apron.  (total nitpick I know)

*Perrin and the Fridging of his non existent wife

*Tam (the blade master) unable to defeat even one trolloc by himself?   SMH.

*Moiriane announcing for all to hear that one of them (including Egwene) is TDR and nobody so much as flinches.

*Nynaeve Al'Meara.  Warrior Princess.   She becomes a badass eventually, but really, this was ridiculous having her fight and kill a trolloc all by herself with nothing but a knife.  

*The telling of the history of Manetheren.  This story was the scene in the book where I said to myself "holy sh*t" I love this book!"   In the show it seemed a throwaway moment (to the point my wife said "is this supposed to be significant?   And why are you swearing under your breath?"

*Shadar Logoth.   What a colossal waste of money for so little payoff.

*The ferryman wants to swim across the Taren and take on a few hundred trollocs by himself and Moraine doesn't do anything to stop him.  Right.

*Rand being a whiny jerk and Matt being a petty thief.

*Lan being so incompetent that Nyn can not only sneak up on him but also put a knife to his throat before he can react.   THIS is supposed to be the best of the Warders?  The baddest of the badasses? Also, he just doesn't seem physically imposing enough.   Probably a fine actor, but needed to be bigger.

*No Thom until Ep3.   And then he's more like a swaggering superhero than a gleeman.

* No Elyas

*The Tuatha'an.  Love the actress who plays Ila (remember her from Orphan Black) but missed Rean.

*The fact that they are obviously going for more of a dark edgy feel like GoT when WoT has a much different feel to it.  

*The Whitecloaks seemed like cartoon caricatures of badguys. 

*Moraine thinks Logain could be TDR despite him being a decade too old at least?  Good lord.

There are more, but you get the idea.

Edited by Yojimbo

8 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

I hated the first 3 episodes with the fire of a thousand suns (or one Nynaeve super healing).  I forced myself to watch Ep4 because I read comments on this site saying it was better.  It was, but not by much.  Things I hated, in no particular order:

*the entire cold opening.  TDR can be a woman?   Almost stopped watching after 2 minutes. I swore so loudly I scared the dog.

*Lan and Moraine bathing together.

*Rand and Egwene shagging.  In the common room of the Winespring in no less apparently.   So it's not enough that Rand gets it on with Elayne, Min and Aviendha?   Gotta have him getting jiggy with Egwene too?  Or will the eliminate one or more of the others?

*Abel Cauthon being a drunk, a womanizer AND a coward.  

*How rushed everything felt (to the point that my wife, a total newbie said it was so incredibly confusing)

*Bran not even being fat or wearing a white apron.  (total nitpick I know)

*Perrin and the Fridging of his non existent wife

*Tam (the blade master) unable to defeat even one trolloc by himself?   SMH.

*Moiriane announcing for all to hear that one of them (including Egwene) is TDR and nobody so much as flinches.

*Nynaeve Al'Meara.  Warrior Princess.   She becomes a badass eventually, but really, this was ridiculous having her fight and kill a trolloc all by herself with nothing but a knife.  

*The telling of the history of Manetheren.  This story was the scene in the book where I said to myself "holy sh*t" I love this book!"   In the show it seemed a throwaway moment (to the point my wife said "is this supposed to be significant?   And why are you swearing under your breath?"

*Shadar Logoth.   What a colossal waste of money for so little payoff.

*The ferryman wants to swim across the Taren and take on a few hundred trollocs by himself and Moraine doesn't do anything to stop him.  Right.

*Rand being a whiny jerk and Matt being a petty thief.

*Lan being so incompetent that Nyn can not only sneak up on him but also put a knife to his throat before he can react.   THIS is supposed to be the best of the Warders?  The baddest of the badasses? Also, he just doesn't seem physically imposing enough.   Probably a fine actor, but needed to be bigger.

*No Thom until Ep3.   And then he's more like a swaggering superhero than a gleeman.

* No Elyas

*The Tuatha'an.  Love the actress who plays Ila (remember her from Orphan Black) but missed Rean.

*The fact that they are obviously going for more of a dark edgy feel like GoT when WoT has a much different feel to it.  

*The Whitecloaks seemed like cartoon caricatures of badguys. 

*Moraine thinks Logain could be TDR despite him being a decade too old at least?  Good lord.

There are more, but you get the idea.

Agree with all those points and there are many more.

Most of them don’t really matter to a non book reader, but some do… like how confusing and fast paced the show has been.

My wife watches the show with me but is not really that interested. The show hasn’t grabbed her to the extent she would ever watch it if I wasn’t.

I think marketing hype and Amazon dollars are keeping the show alive for now, but I don’t think it will last.

LOTR comes along next year with a bigger budget. Doubt Amazon will maintain both.