309 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you at on the TV show?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

The 'professional' critics don't like it - I'm assuming the 55 score is out of 100?

But the regular folks do.  So maybe there is hope.  I've disagreed with critics plenty of times.  But I've also agreed with them as well.  I imagine they are less emotionally invested than those of us on this site.

15 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I'm assuming the 55 score is out of 100?

Metacritic is a little different. It is out of 100. But they break categories into positive, mixed, and negative. Negative is anything below a 30 and is colored red. Mixed is below 60 and colored yellow. So it's a low(ish) score, but doesn't really track with my way of thinking about a 55 (which is as an "F"). 

Point for all of the review scores being that audiences seem to rate it positively which is objective evidence that the show is not "bad" if "bad" is defined as a poor audience reception.

Edited by Elder_Haman

27 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

The 'professional' critics don't like it - I'm assuming the 55 score is out of 100?

But the regular folks do.  So maybe there is hope.  I've disagreed with critics plenty of times.  But I've also agreed with them as well.  I imagine they are less emotionally invested than those of us on this site.

Yes it's out of 100.

I actually agree that 'leading' critics are often the least reliable, but the point was more that they reach so many people with their reviews that it still matters, whether they are right or wrong, biased or honest.

As for the general audience ranking, well IMDB has it as a 7.4/10 which places it nowhere even close to the top 250 TV shows. Early days, but that is a little disappointing.  GoT is there as #13

Edited by Maximillion

9 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Yes it's out of 100.

I actually agree that 'leading' critics are often the least reliable, but the point was more that they reach so many people with their reviews that it still matters, whether they are right or wrong, biased or honest.

As for the general audience ranking, well IMDB has it as a 7.4/10 which places it nowhere even close to the top 250 TV shows. Early days, but that is a little disappointing.  GoT is there as #13

It isn't disappointing to me (yet) because I know a lot of those are book nitpickers or racists complaining about it being "woke garbage" giving it 1/10. If the show is considered good TV the rating after 8 episodes have been released will improve.

13 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

Disappointing, but early yet.  Let folks digest the entire season and see where the score goes...

1 hour ago, Maximillion said:

Yes, still has time.. I don't know where something like GoT was after 3 episodes in terms of a score out of 10.

I've been wondering at what point will others determine where a line has finally crossed over to "Aw hell no!" I mean as much as some seem determine to dislike the show because of changes across the board, there are others determined to like it for reasons...

I'm at peace with the series now that I've come to the realization that Moiraine and Lan's conversation about "four Ta'averen" in the Two Rivers was really just misread by the showrunners and really what's going on there is Moiraine suggesting a bar crawl through the Two Rivers' four taverns

All that traveling is thirsty work.

7 minutes ago, WheelofJuke said:

I'm at peace with the series now that I've come to the realization that Moiraine and Lan's conversation about "four Ta'averen" in the Two Rivers was really just misread by the showrunners and really what's going on there is Moiraine suggesting a bar crawl through the Two Rivers' four taverns

All that traveling is thirsty work.

I truly hope one day that someone does exactly that. Travels throughout the land and reviews the taverns and such, similar to the guy who reviewed forgotten realms places - Volothamp I believe

52 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

I've been wondering at what point will others determine where a line has finally crossed over to "Aw hell no!" I mean as much as some seem determine to dislike the show because of changes across the board, there are others determined to like it for reasons...

Many will be desperate for the show to run a long time and finish the story.

This is the only chance IMO of this story coming to life in film.

I can understand the need for it to be good clouding judgment.

The 10/10 reviews are just the inverse of those who give 1/10 because it deviates from the books and the world they painted from their imaginations.

Edited by Maximillion

57 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

there isn't a single line to cross, and there are more judgments than "hell yes" or "hell no".

it's planned to span for 8 seasons, 8 episodes, 64 hours total. How can you take a single detail, no matter how important, and decide that it is enough to discard the whole show?

there are a lot of things i like about this adaptation, and some things i don't like. if they cross a line and do some more things i don't like, well, i'll just like the show a bit less.

to make me loathe the show... don't know, they'd have to do something like the final GoT season

43 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

If it were only "just a single detail..."

you asked about "crossing the line"; as in, this detail doesn't bother you, this you can accept, this no, you don't accept this anymore, now the show sucks.

no, it's not like that. there's no line to be crossed. there's a continuum. there wouldn't be 10 stars if the only choice was love it or hate it

My watch party had two diehard fans who’ve read the series multiple, multiple times. One who is on The Lord of Chaos on his first read, one who just finished The Eye of the World for the first time, and one who hasn’t read any of it. Visually the consensus was A- and narratively a C+/B- so far. Regardless of book fandom or fresh eyes it was very much the same across the board without any crazy outliers. 

*This just in, my Army buddy said, “A witch and a samurai fight goats and goblins.”  C+ overall.* 

Edited by JaimAybara

8 hours ago, NightWolf said:

My point came (and knowing no one truly cares) was when Mat make that sexual innuendo about Dana by the wood pile. I believe most folks either lightly chuckled or blew it off as trivial, for me it closed the curtain permanently.

Why was that such a big deal for you? Obviously dagger was already affecting Mat at that point.

10 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

I don't think there is a single line or change that would do it for me, but I think we just fundamentally view a lot of things differently if, after 3 episodes, you can convincingly say it's rubbish and you're out etc. I think there is plenty to criticise and plenty to praise so far, and unlike many of those upset with the show so far I find a lot of the comments from Rafe and Brandon Sanderson reassuring in terms of what they are at least trying to do - whether the execution is landed is another question. 

But I wouldn't judge any show after 3 episodes. It's pretty common with sitcoms to hear "It doesn't really get going until midway through S2" but that there was an episode or two in the first season that shows it's potential. I don't really understand the need for everything to be perfect straight away, there are very very few shows that do that. 

Like someone saying that WoT's IMDB rating doesn't have it in the top 250 TV shows and that that is disappointing is absolutely hilarious after 3 episodes. The US Office after 3 episodes of S1 was frankly awful. And it's an all-time great show. Different genres but that's how I look at all television really.