DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

2 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Wot has been #1 on Prime Video for a few episodes now. It's #3 on IMDb after One Piece and Ahsoka. It's #8 on Rotten Tomatoes most popular current shows. I guess those are good signs though I would also like some statistics

I mean one piece was surprisingly amazing, to a level that just blew me away, and Ashoka is also really tapping in well to the animated series. I don’t know the numbers but I would imagine one piece has a bigger international following than WOT

30 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

I mean one piece was surprisingly amazing, to a level that just blew me away, and Ashoka is also really tapping in well to the animated series. I don’t know the numbers but I would imagine one piece has a bigger international following than WOT

As we all know, One Piece is based on a very popular manga/anime so the fanbase must be massive. I've seen just some clips of it 

• Community Administrator
56 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

As we all know, One Piece is based on a very popular manga/anime so the fanbase must be massive. I've seen just some clips of it 

One Piece also shares a lot of the same international Market share as WoT.

The bad news about One Piece doing well, is it eats watch hours away from WoT.

The GOOD news about One Piece doing well?

It tells studios they don't have to be afraid to give fans a story that resembles what was written, no matter how strange... 

48 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

One Piece also shares a lot of the same international Market share as WoT.

The bad news about One Piece doing well, is it eats watch hours away from WoT.

The GOOD news about One Piece doing well?

It tells studios they don't have to be afraid to give fans a story that resembles what was written, no matter how strange... 

because One Piece is dropped in one go that shouldn't impact WOT watching as much, I know my wife and I binged it over a weekend and won't be going back now. 

8 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Chart of WoT popularity globally where Prime Video is available. Thanks to WoTSeries for finding this. Darkest brown means #1

https://flixpatrol.com/title/the-wheel-of-time/

Screenshot_2023-09-19-09-00-33-35_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.57ae6897d9af583df49a2ac9ce758e17.jpg

Just think if this was done by a streaming service that knows how to market a show.

On 9/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, Kaleb said:

Interesting interview with the VFX supervisor for Season 2

https://screenrant.com/wheel-time-2-vfx-supervisor-andy-scrase-interview/

very interesting thank you for posting

a lot of people had picked up on the damane weaves, and some mentioned the differences between other channelers, but I don't recall anyone picking up on a difference between Liandrin and other AS. 

and I am taking what he said about Rand as confirmation that Nynaeve's channeling in S1 (mass healing and deflecting Machin Shin), although before he joined the team, was also just a burst of raw power with no understanding of what she was doing. and possibly could only ever have worked that way. 

Edited by Ralph
autocorrect 🙄

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

Just read this article. It is a very interesting take from a book fan and tv critic.

"The Wheel of Time" Season Two Has Done the Impossible - InsideHook

Light willing, they stick the landing this time and we see tons more articles like this.

This one raises a lot of earnest questions that I feel are pretty fair, even applied to the books. We're past the obvious hero journey of TEOTW/S1, so what exactly is happening now? Why don't Ishamael and Lanfear just turn Rand now and kill anybody who tries to stop them? Why do our characters do any of the things they do?

https://winteriscoming.net/2023/10/03/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-confusing/

16 hours ago, Kaleb said:

This one raises a lot of earnest questions that I feel are pretty fair, even applied to the books. We're past the obvious hero journey of TEOTW/S1, so what exactly is happening now? Why don't Ishamael and Lanfear just turn Rand now and kill anybody who tries to stop them? Why do our characters do any of the things they do?

https://winteriscoming.net/2023/10/03/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-confusing/

Those questions are arguably true for the books as well. Why didn't the Forsaken turn him or kill him before he came into his full strength? He proved he could take out one or two at a time, but if everyone had linked, he would have been in trouble.

It would also have been a short series. But more seriously -- and I think the show has hinted at this too -- Lanfear is hoping he will fall in love with her, like Lews Therin was, so she wants him alive. Ishamael told Mat flat-out that he wanted to end the cycle of reincarnation. Letting Rand grow into his power and having a confrontation with the Dark One sounds like a fun and nihilistic way to blow the world up. I don't recall this being that apparent in book 1-3 Ishamael, who didn't get much character development, but it's the primary motivation for Moridin/Ishamael. If you're writing for Fares Fares, you're going to write him as Moridin/Ishamael rather than some creepy dude with eyes of fire who doesn't say a whole lot (other than in the prologue).

As book readers know, the Forsaken all hate each other's guts and are too busy playing Daes Dae'mar with one another to be effective. The show hasn't gone there, yet, but it reminds me of certain real life governments.

I can answer that writer's other questions, mostly from within the show-world, though a little book knowledge helps.

*The Seanchan are in Falme because it's a coastal city, the first place they invaded. They think that to win the Last Battle, the whole world must be united. Under them! Renna said this to Egwene in a pretty clear way.

*The Aes Sedai haven't done anything about the Seanchan because so far, all they've heard is rumour, and they are so mired in their internecine politics that they could not organise a p*ss-up in a brewery (I suppose I know that from the books...perhaps it's not super clear in the show). 

Spoiler

Most of the Tower Aes Sedai, post-coup, did not believe that the Seanchan existed until they attacked the Tower itself.

*Rand has to be in Falme because prophecy says he should be. A few characters have mentioned this. That's how this world works. Everyone else is there because he has to be, and Ishamael pulled his Dark Friend strings to get the other Emond's Fielders to Falme along with him.

*I'm sure Ishamael has a reason for hanging out with the Seanchan. All of the book-Forsaken set themselves up in powerful positions within various nation-states across Randland, whoever they thought would aid their personal agendas.

Edited by Gypsum

48 minutes ago, Gypsum said:

Those questions are arguably true for the books as well. Why didn't the Forsaken turn him or kill him before he came into his full strength? He proved he could take out one or two at a time, but if everyone had linked, he would have been in trouble.

It would also have been a short series. But more seriously -- and I think the show has hinted at this too -- Lanfear is hoping he will fall in love with her, like Lews Therin was, so she wants him alive. Ishamael told Mat flat-out that he wanted to end the cycle of reincarnation. Letting Rand grow into his power and having a confrontation with the Dark One sounds like a fun and nihilistic way to blow the world up.

As book readers know, the Forsaken all hate each other's guts and are too busy playing Daes Dae'mar with one another to be effective. The show hasn't gone there, yet, but it reminds me of certain real life governments.

I can answer that writer's other questions, mostly from within the show-world, though a little book knowledge helps.

*The Seanchan are in Falme because it's a coastal city, the first place they invaded. They think that to win the Last Battle, the whole world must be united. Under them! Renna said this to Egwene in a pretty clear way.

*The Aes Sedai haven't done anything about the Seanchan because so far, all they've heard is rumour, and they are so mired in their internecine politics that they could not organise a p*ss-up in a brewery (I suppose I know that from the books...perhaps it's not super clear in the show). 

Reveal hidden contents

Most of the Tower Aes Sedai, post-coup, did not believe that the Seanchan existed until they attacked the Tower itself.

*Rand has to be in Falme because prophecy says he should be. A few characters have mentioned this. That's how this world works. Everyone else is there because he has to be, and Ishamael pulled his Dark Friend strings to get the other Emond's Fielders to Falme along with him.

*I'm sure Ishamael has a reason for hanging out with the Seanchan. All of the book-Forsaken set themselves up in powerful positions within various nation-states across Randland, whoever they thought would aid their personal agendas.

The main answer is that the Dark Lord made it very very clear he wanted Rand left alone, my guess is that until he "declares" himself then he isn't truly the dragon, and a turned Dragon won't be able to grab Callandor etc, so there is a cut off point. Add to that, like you say, the fact that various Foresaken are busy plotting against each other and are all being misdirected by Lanfer who needs Rand to stay untainted so LTT can take him over. 

There is also the practical reason, in book 2 Robert Jordan had no idea that channellers could be forced to turn by 13 aes sedai and 13 Fades, that is not indicated as being a thing until Egwene in book 3. 

12 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

The main answer is that the Dark Lord made it very very clear he wanted Rand left alone, my guess is that until he "declares" himself then he isn't truly the dragon, and a turned Dragon won't be able to grab Callandor etc, so there is a cut off point.

A few of them did try to kill him in the early books, though, but just in drips and drabs. Aginor. Balthamel. Be'lal, Rahvin, Asmodean. And, yes, Ishamael in the fight in Falme. They must have not got the memo. Some of it may be a symptom of RJ developing plot and characters and the world itself as he went, and discovering what motivates a Chosen, beyond just being a Bad Guy, later on.

Edited by Gypsum

• RP - PLAYER

Is it not more a feeling that everything is leading to the Last Battle, that the Forsaken are jockeying for power at the Last Battle and its immediate aftermath. They are probably also pretty convinced about the victory of the Shadow, so it is more about fighting over what power there will be available than fighting the Light. They probably all see Rand as less of a threat than the other Forsaken, and are also aware that the pattern might have something up its sleeve if they try to take him out when not strictly necessary. The fights with Ba'alzamon to me always just felt like being stuck in to give the end of a book a climax rather than making actual sense or carrying any weight in the story.

15 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

They probably all see Rand as less of a threat than the other Forsaken, and are also aware that the pattern might have something up its sleeve if they try to take him out when not strictly necessary.

Ta'veren is a third age concept - the forsaken thought of Lews Therin and now Rand as being abnormally lucky rather than favored by the pattern.  Since none of them are scared of too much power they assumed that his "leaving callandor behind" was a bluff and that he would use it to overwhelm them if they attacked.

I believe that DO need turned Dragon for absolute victory. That killing Dragon has no value for DO.

Killing Rand would give DO time to prepare for next Dragon with full touch on world se DO would have bigger chance to success. But as I said, killing Dragon itself has now valu for DO.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:52 AM, Gypsum said:

It would also have been a short series. But more seriously -- and I think the show has hinted at this too -- Lanfear is hoping he will fall in love with her, like Lews Therin was, so she wants him alive. Ishamael told Mat flat-out that he wanted to end the cycle of reincarnation. Letting Rand grow into his power and having a confrontation with the Dark One sounds like a fun and nihilistic way to blow the world up. I don't recall this being that apparent in book 1-3 Ishamael, who didn't get much character development, but it's the primary motivation for Moridin/Ishamael. If you're writing for Fares Fares, you're going to write him as Moridin/Ishamael rather than some creepy dude with eyes of fire who doesn't say a whole lot (other than in the prologue).

Reveal hidden contents

I know this makes it sound too easy, but it is true nonetheless, the wheel would not have allowed Rand to be killed or turned at that point.  Bad things would have happened to anyone who tried.

26 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Very interesting. And kudos to the writers because this season has been great!

Yep, season 1 was so terribly bad (long before Mat's actor left) that I had no intentions at all of watching season 2. Thank goodness my daughter started watching it in the living room and I was "forced" to have it in the background. It didnt take long before I turned away from the game I was playing on the pc and started watching it. Then after she went to sleep I went back to the beginning of season 2 and rewatched the first 3 episodes. Season 2 is night and day different from season 1, which is kind of funny when you look back at all the people defending season 1 when it was playing. Season 1 was an atrocity.

Edited by Rhaze