DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the show be good? Our hopes and concerns

Rose

19 hours ago, Bill1185 said:

I read the dragon reborn might be a woman. I am a bit of a purist in that i think this is a huge change to the story

Ain't happening, all this is, is marketing by Amazon Prime in that they want to keep the true identity of the DR a secret for a few episodes, that's all.

Rand is the DR, 

37 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Same I've always felt Egwene was far more conservative than Elayne. Elayne was the one who pushed the envelope so to speak, which is why I've always had a soft spot for her.

Ha, I always felt the opposite, although they absolutely both have their moments of boldness! It’s neat how folks can get completely different impressions on characters. I wonder how they’ll be in the show. Guess we’ll have to wait for next season to see them on screen together

11 hours ago, nsmallw said:

...the relationship between Min and Rand. 

Those two are my favorite of the three Rand ladies.  I hope they have true chemistry. 

Hope so too. I wonder how they'll handle her visions? Many will probably compare them with the flash visions that Bran had in GoT, or those visions the "father" has in La Brea. 

Furthermore, I wonder how they'll handle the various voices/visions within Rand (Lews, Ishamael, etc)? Not to mention the whole Tel'aran'rhiod experiences by various characters. Egad. That could be extremely edgy or very problematic.

I so want it to be good, but I have to say the previews make me worried the might of went away from the books too much and added their own stuff.  So I'm hoping but deep down I'm worried.  I always worry when books are made into movies since so much gets left out.  I just don't want them to try and cater the series to people new to WOT and not the fans.

Edited by Sabio

36 minutes ago, Sabio said:

I so want it to be good, but I have to say the previews make me worried the might of went away from the books too much and added their own stuff.  So I'm hoping but deep down I'm worried.  I always worry when books are made into movies since so much gets left out.  I just don't want them to try and cater the series to people new to WOT and not the fans.

They have to try to cater the series to people new to WOT. They will probably consist of 95% of the viewers or more. That said the argument is always that they could do that by sticking closely to the source material. They have to decide whether they think that's the case and have obviously made some changes.

1 hour ago, Sabio said:

the might of went away from the books too much and added their own stuff.

They have to create new stuff in order to make characters and plot work logically and realistically. Books have so much internal conflict and thought process.

1 hour ago, Sabio said:

I just don't want them to try and cater the series to people new to WOT and not the fans

Like it was said above, they have to get a lot of new people in to make this a success. That said, there's already a lot of easter eggs and small details that only existing book fans will notice. Only way to be sure is watch it.

7 hours ago, Deadsy said:

Speaking of Min I just had a thought...

I wonder if the reason she doesn't show up until late into the season is because her visions (if they are similar to the book) will spoil the surprise.

I doubt they'll have Min's vision reveal it anyway, even in the books Min kind of lumps everyone together as being involved in the situation and her visions of Rand only really stand out because she's talking to him and goes more in-depth.

I think the reason is likely due to changing how the relationship stuff goes. Min being at Fal Dara means that after Rand and Egwene have made it back to each other and look like their relationship might work out, Min dropping the Rand and Egwene aren't meant to be thing will hit harder.

It also makes an easy transition into season 2 with Rand and Egwene separating and Min becoming Rand's love interest (assuming she travels with them going after the horn).

I mean there has to be a reason they cast Min in season 1 when she has little to do and won't become important for a while given that Elayne who becomes more important much faster and could've been moved to Tar Valon wasn't cast until season 2.

Edited by AusLeviathan

7 hours ago, AusLeviathan said:

I doubt they'll have Min's vision reveal it anyway, even in the books Min kind of lumps everyone together as being involved in the situation and her visions of Rand only really stand out because she's talking to him and goes more in-depth.

I think the reason is likely due to changing how the relationship stuff goes. Min being at Fal Dara means that after Rand and Egwene have made it back to each other and look like their relationship might work out, Min dropping the Rand and Egwene aren't meant to be thing will hit harder.

It also makes an easy transition into season 2 with Rand and Egwene separating and Min becoming Rand's love interest (assuming she travels with them going after the horn).

I mean there has to be a reason they cast Min in season 1 when she has little to do and won't become important for a while given that Elayne who becomes more important much faster and could've been moved to Tar Valon wasn't cast until season 2.

Good points here on Egwene. I can’t figure out what they’ll do with season 2. I hope the whole Seanchan thing is there. But I wonder if Rand will meet Elayne and Elaida before they reach Tar Valon or that will be cut out and he won’t meet Elayne until the end of the season after the battle. And maybe never meet Elaida, which would kinda suck. Unless she makes the journey to Fal Dara after dropping off Elayne. It could be that when the group is in Tar Valon in season 1, the Trakands are about to arrive there. That would make an Elaida trip to Fal Dara possible. 

Hell they could even come up with an excuse for Elayne to come with - maybe the AS need some Novice assistance. That would also allow for the girls to get to know each other on the boat ride and maybe Elayne has been at the tower for a month and can help tell them what things are going to be like. 

7 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Min is in three episodes according to IMDb

I’m a bit surprised by that. Maybe they’re out of the Ways towards the end of episode 6 but it seems like a lot to put into 1 episode since there should be a bunch of WT stuff. 

Edited by Deadsy

Hmf... I already know two readers of the books that said "nope!" 

*shrugs*

It took years for production companies to ge lotr right, and it seems that many still don't like it. Took d&d 7 seasons to get GoT so wrong that most can't even think about rewatching the series. I'm pretty sure many hope GRRM changes things in his last book...assuming he even cares about finishing it now.

Now we have WoT-TV...shiny...new, even has that new car smell I'm sure.

But not for me.

9 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Hmf... I already know two readers of the books that said "nope!" 

*shrugs*

It took years for production companies to ge lotr right, and it seems that many still don't like it. Took d&d 7 seasons to get GoT so wrong that most can't even think about rewatching the series. I'm pretty sure many hope GRRM changes things in his last book...assuming he even cares about finishing it now.

Now we have WoT-TV...shiny...new, even has that new car smell I'm sure.

But not for me.

That's fine, and the good news is you can avoid it. And your life continues on as happily as before. That's the beauty of the series. If you want in, its open and accessible. Something the Books were always good at. If you don't want in, it no way deletes the beloved series that exists on bookshelves all over the world.

The sticky bits show up when people try and get in spats over it hehe. 

I still think its a positive addition that can only increase interest in our series - and will prompt many people to come read the books. Which...aside from profit and such...is a positive goal for any adaptation.

Edited by CaddySedai

6 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

I still think its a positive addition that can only increase interest in our series - and will prompt many people to come read the books. Which...aside from profit and such...is a positive goal for any adaptation.

Omg yes. 

Factor in the additional scrutiny the TV show will receive by a new readership.

I myself will wait until a proper TV series is done. Not some some shiny flashy thing. EotW in a different medium...

4 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Omg yes. 

Factor in the additional scrutiny the TV show will receive by a new readership.

I myself will wait until a proper TV series is done. Not some some shiny flashy thing. EotW in a different medium...

I think what you should possibly do is hope it makes enough interest for a Movie Series.

A la Harry Potter.

Give each book its own treatment.

And Video Games ?

Given the absurd budget required for sets and magic effects and what not, I don't see a live-action television production ever happening that isn't "flashy" in some way. It's going to be a heavily marketed tentpole property no matter what. Prime Studios is probably your best bet ever for an adaptation that doesn't explicitly exist to be all things to everyone, since they're the only studio out there that doesn't need to be profitable on its own thanks to being bundled with Amazon Prime overall, which makes most of its money from shipping.

Honestly, the only way I can see really doing this story true justice within the confines of physics and banking is to do it as a cartoon.

There just needs to be space for high-brow serious drama cartoons that adults take seriously. Maybe something like Invincible is setting the stage for that, but traditionally, at least in the English-speaking world, cartoons have been more of a vehicle for comedy. Invincible may be a good comparison, as I can't see any way to adapt that as live-action without a MCU budget, but frankly, MCU movies still look stupid. I like them and all usually, but the CGI is terrible and they're not meant to be taken seriously or be realistic, not like Wheel of Time is.